Justin Ibieta

Talk about the latest recruits here.
gbgreenie
Surge

Great commitment

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed Daniels had a nice interview with Justin on last night in the WGNO Sports Zone show. Justin said his decision to go to Tulane was not prior or current family relationships with Tulane but he wants to play for our coaches. Especially new OC coach Hall. When I find it online I’ll post it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Justin selected to All-Metro in baseball.
Hit .500
https://expo.nola.com/sports/g66l-2019/ ... -1985.html
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

I hope he plays all 3 sports for the Wave.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:35 pm I hope he plays all 3 sports for the Wave.
Don’t think he’ll play basketball at the D1 level.
FB definitely and baseball most likely.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:35 pm I hope he plays all 3 sports for the Wave.
Would not be wise.
Football and baseball is fine and has been done by many.
Football and basketball has been done by a few, but it’s harder on your body and the seasons overlap.
Playing all 3 would not be a good idea.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Has anyone at Tulane ever played all 3 sports?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Look I hope he becomes a superstar in both for us but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's coming here on a football scholarship and he's going to need time to develop there. I'm glad we have him but CD hasn't had a lot of success having their players have their games transfer well to this level. Mathews is the first one we had . Hopefully he'll be the next but his focus is going to have to be on his football development.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:45 pm Has anyone at Tulane ever played all 3 sports?
Good question. The FB/MBB combo is rare.
I found this:
Patrick W. Browne (football/men's basketball/baseball, 1925-28)
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm . I'm glad we have him but CD hasn't had a lot of success having their players have their games transfer well to this level. Mathews is the first one we had .
Not like it’s a long list of guys we’ve had recently from Country Day that didn’t pan out.
I can only think of Jon Andersen
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm talking totality not just at Tulane. Also I think we had another basketball player other than Anderson.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Don’t think he’ll play basketball at the D1 level.
FB definitely and baseball most likely.
You cannot play three sports in todays day. Its a silly thought. The travel alone would be absurd. Nevermind missing out on all the preseason work. You would have to be a Bo Jackson type of athlete to even entertain the thought. If this kid is productive in either baseball or fball it will be a win for TU.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Impossible.

MAYBE football and baseball, but there's way too much overlap with basketball and football/baseball. Two sports is difficult to pull off at the collegiate level, three is impossible.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Haven't we had some football players in recent years play basketball after the football season was over? I don't mean Dunleavy era, but maybe in the 2000s?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Profoundwizard
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:42 pm Haven't we had some football players in recent years play basketball after the football season was over? I don't mean Dunleavy era, but maybe in the 2000s?
PJ Franklin in the late 90's
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There have been a few athletes at P5 schools (the P5 has nothing to do with this other than the visability) that played both football and basketball in the past 20 years or so. But they're few and far between. Basketball starts practice October 1st, football ends (for 1/2 of D1) around the 1st of December, maybe as late as the second week of January (for P5/ESPN mythical playoff participants). It's not easy to play both, to play Football and Baseball, the baseball coach has to be ok with no fall ball, and football coach ok for no spring ball. It's not easy to do two sports, but certainly football and baseball are more realistic than football and basketball.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Not talking necessarily as a starter. I just seem to remember someone from the football team, maybe a DB or a WR who ended up playing G on the basketball team after the football season was over? A bench player of course, but was on the team.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm Not talking necessarily as a starter. I just seem to remember someone from the football team, maybe a DB or a WR who ended up playing G on the basketball team after the football season was over? A bench player of course, but was on the team.
Carolina had a player, I believe was a TE on the football team, that joined the basketball team around the holidays a few years back. I know Notre Dame had one as well. Both saw significant minutes (though neither was a starter.) It's just not easy to do with the long overlap of the seasons, not to mention increasing the stress on the player to make grades while juggling two D1 athletic commitments. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very difficult to juggle and get both sports' coaches on board.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm Not talking necessarily as a starter. I just seem to remember someone from the football team, maybe a DB or a WR who ended up playing G on the basketball team after the football season was over? A bench player of course, but was on the team.
Carolina had a player, I believe was a TE on the football team, that joined the basketball team around the holidays a few years back. I know Notre Dame had one as well. Both saw significant minutes (though neither was a starter.) It's just not easy to do with the long overlap of the seasons, not to mention increasing the stress on the player to make grades while juggling two D1 athletic commitments. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very difficult to juggle and get both sports' coaches on board.
Name the last player to play 4 sports in college, and be named at least Honorable Mention, All American in each sport
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 pm
Name the last player to play 4 sports in college, and be named at least Honorable Mention, All American in each sport
I met Jim Brown once on a train from NYC to CT. He was somewhere in his mid 50's at the time, and looked like he could suit up and play ball. He is best known as a great football player, though he never started a game for Syracuse, which had an unwritten rule that African-Americans couldn't start (this was the early/mid 1950's.) I know he's in the NFL hall of fame and the Lacrosse hall of fame. He also played basketball and ran track, and is in many circles considered the best American athlete of all time.

Is this the answer to your question, golfnut?
wave97
Swell

If I were to advise an athletically gifted son on what sport to focus on it would be baseball, without a doubt.
Guaranteed money and they take long walks with their grandchildren (unless you're a catcher).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm
I met Jim Brown once on a train from NYC to CT. He was somewhere in his mid 50's at the time, and looked like he could suit up and play ball. He is best known as a great football player, though he never started a game for Syracuse, which had an unwritten rule that African-Americans couldn't start (this was the early/mid 1950's.) I know he's in the NFL hall of fame and the Lacrosse hall of fame. He also played basketball and ran track, and is in many circles considered the best American athlete of all time.

Jim Brown attened Syracuse on a LaCrosse ride not a Football ride...the answer has NOLA connections...Ron Widby, University of Tenneessee... punted for the Saints and played forward for the Buc's...All American as a Punter in Football..1st baseman...Forward in B'Ball and an all american Golfer.....4 sports...I think this was in his Jr year ....as a senior I think he only played two sports Football and Basketball
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm If I were to advise an athletically gifted son on what sport to focus on it would be baseball, without a doubt.
Guaranteed money and they take long walks with their grandchildren (unless you're a catcher).
Guaranteed money? You think? Eh, I don't know about that. Unless you make it all the way, most baseball players spend their 20's and 30's in the farm leagues earning very basic salaries.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
wave97
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 pm
wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm If I were to advise an athletically gifted son on what sport to focus on it would be baseball, without a doubt.
Guaranteed money? You think? Eh, I don't know about that. Unless you make it all the way, most baseball players spend their 20's and 30's in the farm leagues earning very basic salaries.
Not much to think about, their contracts are? Guaranteed.
Their poor stinking minor league 6-month salaries are guaranteed. If they chose to pursue minor league baseball they better be really good really fast.
Last edited by wave97 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:35 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Jim Brown attened Syracuse on a LaCrosse ride not a Football ride...the answer has NOLA connections...Ron Widby, University of Tenneessee... punted for the Saints and played forward for the Buc's...All American as a Punter in Football..1st baseman...Forward in B'Ball and an all american Golfer.....4 sports...I think this was in his Jr year ....as a senior I think he only played two sports Football and Basketball
Good memories golf. I saw Widby punt for the Saints and play for the Bucs. They threw miniature McDonalds basketballs into the audience.