How did you become a Tulane fan?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Some of you I know, many others I don't. But would love to hear how each of you came to follow the Green Wave.

For me, my parents took us to the games as kids. We were the infants wearing the Tulane gear. I even got the opportunity to play for the Green Wave from 99-02. Born a Tulane fan, and will die a Tulane fan... even though I'm sure they've taken years off my life. What about y'all?

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

My dad covering the Wave was my biggest influence. I grew up going to the games at the age of 5-6 (1965) Bobby Duhon was my first hero. Many more came after that. I was fortunate enough play BB (1978/79) while at Tulane and got my BSM degree in 1981. During my Tulane years we beat LSU in FB in 1979 and 1981.

Here I am at about 9-10 years old with QB Mike Walker. 1969/70.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:57 am My dad covering the Wave was my biggest influence. I grew up going to the games at the age of 5-6 (1965) Bobby Duhon was my first hero. Many more came after that. I was fortunate enough play BB (1978/79) while at Tulane and got my BSM degree in 1981. While at Tulane we beat LSU in FB in 1979 and 1981.

Here I am at about 9-10 years old with QB Mike Walker. 1969/70.
This is awesome. I'll have to find my pictures back in the 80's with the Little Greenies Club.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 am

This is awesome. I'll have to find my pictures back in the 80's with the Little Greenies Club.
Thanks. Having a dad as a beat writer helped. Lol. That picture actually made the newspaper. My dad used the photo later in the season on story he did on Mike Walker for the States Item newspaper.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

My family took me to the games...My Dad would actually catch a Tulane game in the afternoon and then he and my Uncle would go to BR for a game that evening.... I grew up both a Tulane and LSU fan, my Dad believed that all schools in state should be supported as long as they were not playing you favorite team...but after the 62-0 game 1965 where LSU went for two after the last TD.....we lost all respect for their players and coaching staff...we never went to another game in BR after that......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TURVS71
Swell

When I was 7 or 8 my brother would take me to the lsu games on Saturday Night. Frankly the only reason I went was because we use to stop at the restaurant on Airline Highway in Laplace( can’t remember the name) for a fried chicken dinner. One game, the fans became so obnoxious that my brother said “no more.!” We then started going to the Tulane games every week! My love for them just continued to grow and the more they lost the more I followed them. That included baseball and basketball. In 1973, I scheduled my wedding when they were out of town! No way was I going to miss a game. Having my son on that field wearing the colors and sporting a Hawaii bowl ring was the ultimate point for a Dad! We now have a new family member! He parents are both Loyola graduates but they have both said that “she will be raised a Tulane Fan.” So, I’m off to the bookstore to buy what will ever fit her!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 am When I was 7 or 8 my brother would take me to the lsu games on Saturday Night. Frankly the only reason I went was because we use to stop at the restaurant on Airline Highway in Laplace( can’t remember the name) for a fried chicken dinner. One game, the fans became so obnoxious that my brother said “no more.!” We then started going to the Tulane games every week! My love for them just continued to grow and the more they lost the more I followed them. That included baseball and basketball. In 1973, I scheduled my wedding when they were out of town! No way was I going to miss a game. Having my son on that field wearing the colors and sporting a Hawaii bowl ring was the ultimate point for a Dad! We now have a new family member! He parents are both Loyola graduates but they have both said that “she will be raised a Tulane Fan.” So, I’m off to the bookstore to buy what will ever fit her!
Nice story!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 am My family took me to the games...My Dad would actually catch a Tulane game in the afternoon and then he and my Uncle would go to BR for a game that evening.... I grew up both a Tulane and LSU fan, my Dad believed that all schools in state should be supported as long as they were not playing you favorite team...but after the 62-0 game 1965 where LSU went for two after the last TD.....we lost all respect for their players and coaching staff...we never went to another game in BR after that......
I knew many people that made both games back in the day. Airline Hwy was the route.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 am When I was 7 or 8 my brother would take me to the lsu games on Saturday Night. Frankly the only reason I went was because we use to stop at the restaurant on Airline Highway in Laplace( can’t remember the name) for a fried chicken dinner. One game, the fans became so obnoxious that my brother said “no more.!” We then started going to the Tulane games every week! My love for them just continued to grow and the more they lost the more I followed them. That included baseball and basketball. In 1973, I scheduled my wedding when they were out of town! No way was I going to miss a game. Having my son on that field wearing the colors and sporting a Hawaii bowl ring was the ultimate point for a Dad! We now have a new family member! He parents are both Loyola graduates but they have both said that “she will be raised a Tulane Fan.” So, I’m off to the bookstore to buy what will ever fit her!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am
Nice story!
I'm bettin' the name of the resturant was Airline Motors, which is now closed...it was in the film/movie "Glory Road" ..Tex Western vs Kentucky....
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 0902579428
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

My father (RIP) lived on airline hwy in Gonzales as a child in the 50s. Was always a contrary type of kid. According to legend, one Saturday morning he was playing in the front yard. Noticed the line of cars heading to BR. Asked my grandmother where they were all going. She tells him they’re going to see the tigers . He asked what team was in the other direction. She said Tulane was that way. He became a Tulane fan for life on the spot. Created another generation of Tulane fans along the way . Rip Al Sheets. My dad .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am My father (RIP) lived on airline hwy in Gonzales as a child in the 50s. Was always a contrary type of kid. According to legend, one Saturday morning he was playing in the front yard. Noticed the line of cars heading to BR. Asked my grandmother where they were all going. She tells him they’re going to see the tigers . He asked what team was in the other direction. She said Tulane was that way. He became a Tulane fan for life on the spot. Created another generation of Tulane fans along the way . Rip Al Sheets. My dad .
galvez...your family related to Andy Sheets ?....
galvezwave
Swell

Yes. I graduated from St.Amant with Andy.
51WaveBG
High Tide

:D :D Became a TU student and "die hard" fan in 1948. We were in the SEC then and I got to see Eddie Price play for TU. Also, got to see Dixie Howell of Ole Miss & Travis Tidwell of Auburn play. Saw the infamous "5th down play" at the Miami game. When I was a student, we also went to TU games in the afternoon and drove up the Airline to BR for an LSU game that night.. LSU had a "horse shoe" stadium then. Also, use to listen to the football games on WWL, when I could get the reception here in Florida. Have seen Bobby Duhon, Steve Foley and Charlie Hall play. Been to basketball and baseball games against USF & was in Orlando for the Bowl Game last year. Great years and I am still a die hard fan.
gbgreenie
Surge

Back in the 60's my dad took me to the games in Tulane Stadium, after the games we stopped at Fletcher's Barbecue on Franklin Ave. Bobby Duhon, Warren Bankston, Lanis Osteen, and many other memories, Abercrombie, Kingrea, Ray Hester, Bullard Bandits, Rodney Holman, Rock Hontas, Paul Ellis, David Hebert, Rusty Lachaisse, and many more.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am Yes. I graduated from St.Amant with Andy.
Please accept my apology...I should have also posted... "my prayers for your Dad, and your family"
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:03 pm
galvezwave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am Yes. I graduated from St.Amant with Andy.
Please accept my apology...I should have also posted... "my prayers for your Dad, and your family"

Not at all! He passed in 2017. I wish I was half the fan he was. I imagine many of y’all met him at some point. He loved chatting up greenie fans but wasn’t big on names. Was loyal ticket holder till the end.
sader24
Tsunami

My dad didn’t want to suffer through the misery past, present, and future alone so sucked me into a lifelong trap.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 pm My dad didn’t want to suffer through the misery past, present, and future alone so sucked me into a lifelong trap.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roll Wave!
Houma de Wave
Swell

My uncle took me to the Tulane-Alabama game in 1960. I was 7. I got to actually see Tommy Mason play and thought that was special. Bama was led by 3rd year head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. We tied the #5 Crimson Tide, 6-6, with a late TD...missed the PAT.

We left the game to "beat the traffic" and FIND THE CAR!! We missed the Tulane comeback, but could hear the roar. We read about what we missed the next day in the Times-Pic.

I was signed, sealed and delivered to be a Tulane Green Wave fan!!

Footnote: My mother and father took my 3 brothers and me to an LSU-Miss. State game prior to this Tulane game. I don't remember much except that it rained. Obviously, I wasn't impressed.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Graduated from Tulane in 1969. Loved Tulane athletics and attended most of the football games in old Tulane Stadium. Always took a date, dressed up, brought along a bottle of Jack Daniels. Those were the times I felt lucky to be a Tulane student. Been following the programs since then with much misery, despair with very few periods of elation.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

I grew up within walking distance , my mother worked for the university, and my brother and sister are alumni. I also ushered games in Tulane Stadium as a Boy Scout
God Bless Everyone!
Wavetime
Swell

My dad is an alum and he took us to the games with my uncle in Tulane Stadium, the Dome and now Yulman. I vaguely remember sitting in the South Endzone and watching the beer men with those keg contraptions on their backs, that was cool. The first time I really fell in love with our beloved Greenwave was the 14-0 victory over LSU. The Larry Smith years were great in the Dome as was the Tommy Bowden era. The first game in Yulman was really special for me because i was with my dad and uncle, both in their mid 80's. When we went to the Quad and then into the stadium for that Ga. Tech game I glanced over and both of them had tears in their eyes, which of course caused me to tear up. Today we still go to the games together and I cherish every game that I can go to with them and my kids....you know why!

My dad is also a huge baseball fan. I remember the Milton Retif, Brockoff and of course Jones years. He was front and center in Omaha as well.
pansdad
Ripple

I grew up in Port Sulphur, LA where most folks were LSU fans. But at an early age I would read the sports section of the paper (don't remember which on since we then had three). I would read about players like Bobby Kellog and to be contrary to most of my friends I decided that I was a Tulane fan and disliked the Tiggers. In 1949 my parents took me to Mobile, AL where Tulane (with Eddie Price and many others) trounced Alabama; Tulane won the SEC that year (I think I got that right). A year or so later I was in the Boy Scouts and we went to ALL Tulane home games to usher people to their seats. So, I became a die hard Tulane fan forever. When I graduated high school from Thibodaux High (where everyone were LSU fans) I had the good fortune of being offered a scholarship to attend Tulane and my boyhood dream had come true. Long story short: I wound up with three degrees in Chemical Engineering and was offered a position on the CHE faculty. I taught at Tulane for 51 1/2 years and now I am retired and living in Pass Christian, MS. I have had football season tickets for all but two years when I was on sabbatical to the University of Limerick in Ireland. I still buy season tickets even though it is difficult for me to attend all games; I try always to make homecoming. Tulane has been my life and I thank God for it every night.
Show Me
Tsunami

My uncle was a big baseball fan of the original New Orleans Pelicans. He decided to take me to see a Tulane baseball game back when Ben Abadie was coach. It was the first athlete event I ever attended. As I grew older my dad would bring me on campus to see both basketball and football from that point forward I became a Tulane fan. Unfortunately I saw some bad Tulane teams during those SEC days and little did I know it would continue like that for decades give or take a few teams. Still with all the pain and heartache over the years I never gave up loving and supporting Tulane hoping one day they’d “show me”.