2019-2020 Men’s Basketball Recruiting

Talk about the latest recruits here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Are Grant Quinn and Cameron Galic walk-ons? So they don't count towards our 13 scholarship players?

It seems that Barrett brings some good things to the table, and could benefit from good coaching. I hate when a coach has to pull a scholarship from a player, he should be able to transfer and play immediately in that situation.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They are walk-ons. We all hate to see a scholarship pulled but we all also want a successful program. Barrett really doesn't offer much which is why he was benched a freshman were given his time and even they weren't AAC level players. Pl,us coaches in this situation always help find another school for the player to go to.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read. I really hope both Sehic and Daniels return.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Another writer not knowing about what he is writing about :
"...other key returning pieces Zhang and Barrett...."
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
swampnik
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm

One reason Coach RH is high on Zhang is cause he witnessed him pour in 20+ on his team when they played at Georgia State. He sees the potential.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 am

One reason Coach RH is high on Zhang is cause he witnessed him pour in 20+ on his team when they played at Georgia State. He sees the potential.
trying to remember the Coach who defined "Potential" as "somebody who has not done one damn thing on a consistent basis".....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

Players like Zhang with strong strengths and weak weakinesses can really benefit in a strongly coached, "system" team not to mention physical and emotional development. Let's see how it goes before burying the kid.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:30 am

trying to remember the Coach who defined "Potential" as "somebody who has not done one damn thing on a consistent basis".....
Not sure who the coach was, but it sure sounds like a Vince Lombardi quote.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am

U may be correct... The original quote was "sombody who has not done one damn thing".. I added the 'on a consistent basis" for the PC types who may read the forum
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am

U may be correct... The original quote was "sombody who has not done one damn thing".. I added the 'on a consistent basis" for the PC types who may read the forum
Was it not Mack Brown, perhaps?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am

Was it not Mack Brown, perhaps?
no way on Gods green and blue earth, is Mack that "deeper, of a thinker'...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Kudos to this staff. They are very hardworking guys. I’ve been getting great feedback from my local basketball connections.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks. Good to hear. Not surprised based on his interviews. He has said he has his notes from his start at every other job. He's got a plan and he works it. He specifically mentioned meeting with all the local HS coaches even if they didn't currently have any players that we were interested in. Clearly a man of his word.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 pm Kudos to this staff. They are very hardworking guys. I’ve been getting great feedback from my local basketball connections.
When’s Dunleavy was hired there was a lot of national press but little actual impact. Thankfully Hunter and co seem to be working at a different level.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Its amazing the positive feedback and results we see in just a few months (of scrambling) vs years with dunleavy . . . And conroy.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 pm Its amazing the positive feedback and results we see in just a few months (of scrambling) vs years with dunleavy . . . And conroy.
Coach Conroy was an excellent recruiter , he just could not keep his players committed once they were here ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Keep our fingers crossed that our baseball program will see a similar resurrection once we get a new regime in place.
gbgreenie
Surge

Commenting on Hunters praise of Zhang, The guy can shoot, that is the hard part to teach, now Zhang lacks aggressiveness that Hunter can not only teach but demand in his players. He will require Zhang to use his height and get more aggressive not just staying outside for the jump shot. This will make it tougher for opponents to stop him not knowing if he will pull up and shoot or drive to the basket. Also Hunter will demand that Zhang shows up on defense also!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm Commenting on Hunters praise of Zhang, The guy can shoot, that is the hard part to teach, now Zhang lacks aggressiveness that Hunter can not only teach but demand in his players. He will require Zhang to use his height and get more aggressive not just staying outside for the jump shot. This will make it tougher for opponents to stop him not knowing if he will pull up and shoot or drive to the basket. Also Hunter will demand that Zhang shows up on defense also!!!
More daydreaming and crazy talk from you gbg. Zhang has never showed any ability to play defense-it takes too much effort and physical play. And when did Zhang ever drive the basket? He’s the master of standing behind the 3-point line and watching the game. I predict Zhang will be totally lost in Hunter’s style of play.
gbgreenie
Surge

Hunter is getting hot
WavyHoops
High Tide

I think that when Coach Hunter said “this team” is going to the tournament this he meant something other than what most around here were thinking. .
galvezwave
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm Commenting on Hunters praise of Zhang, The guy can shoot, that is the hard part to teach, now Zhang lacks aggressiveness that Hunter can not only teach but demand in his players. He will require Zhang to use his height and get more aggressive not just staying outside for the jump shot. This will make it tougher for opponents to stop him not knowing if he will pull up and shoot or drive to the basket. Also Hunter will demand that Zhang shows up on defense also!!!
More daydreaming and crazy talk from you gbg. Zhang has never showed any ability to play defense-it takes too much effort and physical play. And when did Zhang ever drive the basket? He’s the master of standing behind the 3-point line and watching the game. I predict Zhang will be totally lost in Hunter’s style of play.
I believe the truth will be somewhere in the middle. All the players will look better in a college defense. Zhang has some handles, length and quickness. Hunter will get some quality out of him.
nawlinspete
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm I think that when Coach Hunter said “this team” is going to the tournament this he meant something other than what most around here were thinking. .
It appears that Coach Hunter does not now expect Sehic to return . He may very well also expect Daniels to be transferring .

Thomas played 29 minutes per game ( 34 games )and scored big time. But only @ 37 % . Looks like he'll need some teamwork retooling by Coach Hunter .
Last edited by nawlinspete on Sun May 19, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Or Barrett and Ajang might be going.