2019 FB Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:47 am 2018 was a rough year for the AAC. Big wins were hard to come by when you rely on two programs to carry the torch. We lost in most of our "participation" bowls with UCF playing well under the circumstances in the Fiesta Bowl.
Looking at the AAC OOC composite schedule going forward each AAC team has scheduled one FCS team, one G5 (MAC, CUSA) and two P5.
If we are to advance as a Conference, we need to play big and win big when the opportunity presents itself.
Army deserves to get curb stomped in their next "participation" bowl which has been guaranteed by their short-sighted and cynical scheduling strategy. Let's hope it is with Houston,
Yep.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:09 am
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm

I agree with you, WaveQB. Maybe people should look at it the other way. How much of a "winning culture" can you build if you go 4-4 in conf every year, but go 0-4 in OOC, because you choose to play Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma every season? A continuous string of 4-8 seasons would do nothing to build a fan base, or change perception, because we'd still be seen as LOSERS. Go 7-5, 8-4 for a half dozen years, and make 6 straight bowl appearances (even if it IS the Cure Bowl or Beef O Brady Bowl), and people will have a different take on Tulane, REGARDLESS of who those 4 OOC wins were. Once you've established that we're no longer PATHETIC LOSERS, THEN we can upgrade the OOC from what we currently have.
Seriously. Please show me where someone said we should play Alabama ,Clemson, V.a Tech and Oklahoma as the 4 OOC games every year. What was said was to get rid of the FCS game and upgrade the schedule some. Sorry but the responses to that are just pathetic. No wonder Tulane athletics is where it is.
You know what? When we can put together three consecutive years of those elusive "bowl eligible" seasons, then maybe we can talk of dropping the FCS game. Now, when has that ever happened in our lifetime? NEVER. You have to walk before you can run.

As for the 4 P5 schools thing, my point everyone complains of playing FIU, FAU, UAB, etc, because they don't put butts in the seats. Lets face it, until we start winning more, that's what we're going to schedule. I'd rather 9-3 and have FAU, WF, ULL and and an FCS school as our four OOCs, than potentially 5-7 because we played OU, FIU, USM and Miss St.
Bowl eligible was the goal the last two seasons. We finally got it last year. As I have said throughout this discussion my stance is based on us making the jump this year to 8 wins. That will show the progress and start to get people's attention. I'm not talking about what's gone on in our lifetimes. I'm talking about what i expect to happen now. If we only win 6 this year or god forbid less then we'll have much more serious problems than scheduling. At these prices I don't even think I would be buying anymore after that.

As to the schedule differences you talked of there I think that you exaggerate the difference in record it would create. Going forward it would likely mean 7-5 or 8-4 and either way would generate more interest and respect for us.

Bottom line is I just think you're too worried about the past. Look forward to better times.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Unfortunately (due to tuition payments), she's still there, only taking a couple of classes but she's on a 6 year program that will have her graduate with a double major and 10 credits short of her masters.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:19 am Unfortunately (due to tuition payments), she's still there, only taking a couple of classes but she's on a 6 year program that will have her graduate with a double major and 10 credits short of her masters.
Good for her. Bad for you. :mrgreen:
wave97
Swell

There's nobody posting here who thinks we shouldn't schedule FCS programs. But if this Football Staff/AD is going to stay it will require; A) Money and B) Ability to land recruits who have very good offers from other programs. Developing two/threeish star talent is a loooong shot and we can't rely upon signing four-star talent who have been medically misdiagnosed in their junior year of High School.
Our coaches need to be able to walk into any living room in LA, TX, MS. AL, GA & FL and say; "We competed for conference championship & defeated P5 team X, and we took perennial top ten team Y into the last minutes of the game". That's the only thing that will change the minds of prospects with choices.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Internet forums are supposed to be enjoyable and part of the fun is talking trash. We are all saying the same thing and yet everyone is getting angry. :) Here's what I hear:
  • We all want to see Tulane continue to improve until we are competitive with anyone, anywhere during every single season.
  • Everyone wants Tulane FB to continue upgrading the schedule so that it is increasingly more difficult each year.
  • No one wants to see Tulane inflate their W-L record by playing only cupcakes.
  • No one wants to see Tulane deflate their W-L record by playing only powerhouses.
There. That was pretty easy, huh?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think everyone has made valid and cogent points, and we all agree to varying extremes.

PS i would love to schedule USC. . . Major name program, pier university, we have ALOT of alums in/from LA and . . . Their program has been grossly underachieving for quite a while now. So while perhaps they’ll turn it around, i could see us giving them a run these last few years and this year.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think everyone has made valid and cogent points, and we all agree to varying extremes.

PS i would love to schedule USC. . . Major name program, pier university, we have ALOT of alums in/from LA and . . . Their program has been grossly underachieving for quite a while now. So while perhaps they’ll turn it around, i could see us giving them a run these last few years and this year.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am
Wave QB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 am
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 am
Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
They bought tickets strictly because of the new stadium. That wore off quickly. It's foolhardy to keep thinking of what we were. I'm talking about what we'll become. You can live in the past. We won't go 0-4 because we get rid of the FCS game. It's complete BS to say that means we'll be 0-4 and drive fans away.
They brought tickets because of the stadium, and the fact that were coming off our first winning season in a long time. If the new stadium was the only factor, then only the GT would have cracked over 20k. CJ and company lost the “we can win some games now” momentum. I am not living in the past because we see plenty of programs scheduling to make the post season instead of getting their heads bashed in each week.

The attendance numbers reported and recorded however they are, but there we still more butts in the seats for that game compared to what we have seen during losing campaigns. If we win more games, more fans will show up. Period.
It was all about the new stadium. It had nothing to do with going 7-6 against that pathetic schedule we played. Plus many of the teams we beat were suffering injuries to key players. If the stadium hadn't opened that season our crowds would have been the same as they had been leading up to that season. By your account the stadium will be completely sold out for FIU and we will have near sell outs for the rest of the season. I can assure you that's not the case and that will be clear on 8-29. The only way we come close to getting a sell out next season is if we beat FIU and follow with the upset of Auburn and then keep winning till we face UCF. Then if they are having a season like they have been having we may get a sell out.
We will disagree there. I know many of fans who showed up to see a game in Yulman, and because the 7 win season gave them a reason to care about what the scoreboard showed when the clock ran out. Going to the NOLA Bowl helped toss some attention our way. If we would have went 4-8 in 2013, there is no way we could have seen over 20k at the 2014 home games. CJ and company failed to capitalize.

You do have other good points, but nobody cares about the woulda coulda shouldas from ECU, North Texas and any other team who had guys out when we saw them. We weren’t 100% healthy as well. Don’t take what Santos, Grant, Davenport and Darkwa did away from them. Those kids bust their asses with all that they had to try to bring us a winning season. Don’t ignore the number of those teams that finished the season with 6 or more wins. Our program has to continue to schedule a few beatable non conference teams. Southern Jaguar fans or not, their asses are taking up space in our stadium and helping our overall attendance numbers. We need to schedule in state FCS programs often. We need let La Tech, ULM and ULL understand that we are in the American Conference and demand respect from them by beating their brains out every so often. We have to put ourselves in position to always be a bowl contender even on a rebuilding season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
They bought tickets strictly because of the new stadium. That wore off quickly. It's foolhardy to keep thinking of what we were. I'm talking about what we'll become. You can live in the past. We won't go 0-4 because we get rid of the FCS game. It's complete BS to say that means we'll be 0-4 and drive fans away.
They brought tickets because of the stadium, and the fact that were coming off our first winning season in a long time. If the new stadium was the only factor, then only the GT would have cracked over 20k. CJ and company lost the “we can win some games now” momentum. I am not living in the past because we see plenty of programs scheduling to make the post season instead of getting their heads bashed in each week.

The attendance numbers reported and recorded however they are, but there we still more butts in the seats for that game compared to what we have seen during losing campaigns. If we win more games, more fans will show up. Period.
It was all about the new stadium. It had nothing to do with going 7-6 against that pathetic schedule we played. Plus many of the teams we beat were suffering injuries to key players. If the stadium hadn't opened that season our crowds would have been the same as they had been leading up to that season. By your account the stadium will be completely sold out for FIU and we will have near sell outs for the rest of the season. I can assure you that's not the case and that will be clear on 8-29. The only way we come close to getting a sell out next season is if we beat FIU and follow with the upset of Auburn and then keep winning till we face UCF. Then if they are having a season like they have been having we may get a sell out.
We will disagree there. I know many of fans who showed up to see a game in Yulman, and because the 7 win season gave them a reason to care about what the scoreboard showed when the clock ran out. Going to the NOLA Bowl helped toss some attention our way. If we would have went 4-8 in 2013, there is no way we could have seen over 20k at the 2014 home games. CJ and company failed to capitalize.

You do have other good points, but nobody cares about the woulda coulda shouldas from ECU, North Texas and any other team who had guys out when we saw them. We weren’t 100% healthy as well. Don’t take what Santos, Grant, Davenport and Darkwa did away from them. Those kids bust their asses with all that they had to try to bring us a winning season. Don’t ignore the number of those teams that finished the season with 6 or more wins. Our program has to continue to schedule a few beatable non conference teams. Southern Jaguar fans or not, their asses are taking up space in our stadium and helping our overall attendance numbers. We need to schedule in state FCS programs often. We need let La Tech, ULM and ULL understand that we are in the American Conference and demand respect from them by beating their brains out every so often. We have to put ourselves in position to always be a bowl contender even on a rebuilding season.
We will definitely disagree. That 2013 season just wasn't all that. The few diehards like us here found joy in it but even we knew it was manufactured. It had nothing to do with attendance the following year. That was about the stadium. Plain and simple.

I didn't take anything away from those few good players we had. They just didn't have much help on their team. So they got help from the schedule. So what that those teams got to 6 wins. They also did it against weak schedules. We do need to be in position to be in contention for a Bowl even in a rebuilding year. We just don't need to do it through dumbed down scheduling. We need to build it by getting better and getting better recruits because of that.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:16 pm
Wave QB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 pm

We will definitely disagree. That 2013 season just wasn't all that. The few diehards like us here found joy in it but even we knew it was manufactured. It had nothing to do with attendance the following year. That was about the stadium. Plain and simple.

I didn't take anything away from those few good players we had. They just didn't have much help on their team. So they got help from the schedule. So what that those teams got to 6 wins. They also did it against weak schedules. We do need to be in position to be in contention for a Bowl even in a rebuilding year. We just don't need to do it through dumbed down scheduling. We need to build it by getting better and getting better recruits because of that.
I know plenty of ticket season holders, and many showed up in 2014 because of the new stadium along with a reason to believe that better days were ahead after a winning season.

Winwave, I am no fool. We lost to a FAU team with no head coach, a USA team that was coming off a FCS loss, and newbie UTSA. On top of that, we loss to ULL. Trust me, I know that 2013 season wasn’t “all that” by any means. I am not trying to make that claim. I am just pointing out the fact that being rewarded for winning 7 games is staying at home during the bowl season. We can’t discredit those guys kids I mentioned above because they gave us some exciting moments and bust their asses to go bowling. We have seen many teams in the past who would have found a away to have a losing season with that 2013 schedule. Our program has been on the losing end of the college bowl stick for decades. Going 10-2 vs a schedule like that would show us that we are headed in the right direction.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We continue to disagree. That 7-6 didn't give any great inspiration based off of the schedule it was done against and especially with the loss to ULL in the Bowl game. I have been following the program for six decades and know a multitude of season ticket holdrs. No one was buying season tickets because of what happened in 2013. It was all about the novelty of the new stadium.

In your second paragraph you finally admit it was a weak schedule. Before this you were saying it was tough with those teams on it winning 6-10 games. Just because I pointed that out doesn't mean I discredited the players on that team. I appreciate their efforts but the schedule was what it was and there's nothing wrong with being honest about it. Going 10-2 against it wouldn't have moved the needle much more. It was just that bad of a schedule.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:46 am We continue to disagree. That 7-6 didn't give any great inspiration based off of the schedule it was done against and especially with the loss to ULL in the Bowl game. I have been following the program for six decades and know a multitude of season ticket holdrs. No one was buying season tickets because of what happened in 2013. It was all about the novelty of the new stadium.

In your second paragraph you finally admit it was a weak schedule. Before this you were saying it was tough with those teams on it winning 6-10 games. Just because I pointed that out doesn't mean I discredited the players on that team. I appreciate their efforts but the schedule was what it was and there's nothing wrong with being honest about it. Going 10-2 against it wouldn't have moved the needle much more. It was just that bad of a schedule.
Now your Wavedat leaf is starting to turn over. Don’t put words in my post. I never called that schedule tough. I pointed out the “fact” that the schedule wasn’t full of tomato cans as you are making it out to be. It’s was far from great, but it was what we needed to bring our program to a bowl season before opening up the new stadium. Not sure if you know every single alumni, but many who I know (and I have decades of fans in my pocket as well), showed up in support of the stadium and hopes of another winning season. Please don’t take away from what those kids did just because you disliked the schedule.
Last edited by Wave QB on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglewave
Swell

For the life of me, how did CJ and company find a way to lose to FAU, Texas San Antonio, Rice and South Alabama that year? The 2013 should have been a 11-1 season. I think I picked us to go 10-2 that year. This year, I think Fritz can pull out another bowl game. We need consistency in our program.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:55 pm For the life of me, how did CJ and company find a way to lose to FAU, Texas San Antonio, Rice and South Alabama that year? The 2013 should have been a 11-1 season. I think I picked us to go 10-2 that year. This year, I think Fritz can pull out another bowl game. We need consistency in our program.
Even CJ admitted that the 2013 team left a lot on the table that was there for the taking. It was really a program (and I change that from "team" because the coaching staff was to blame) that underachieved given the way the season unfolded.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:10 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:46 am We continue to disagree. That 7-6 didn't give any great inspiration based off of the schedule it was done against and especially with the loss to ULL in the Bowl game. I have been following the program for six decades and know a multitude of season ticket holdrs. No one was buying season tickets because of what happened in 2013. It was all about the novelty of the new stadium.

Now your Wavedat leaf is starting to turn over. Don’t put words in my post. I never called that schedule tough. I pointed out the “fact” that the schedule wasn’t full of tomato cans as you are making it out to be. It’s was far from great, but it was what we needed to bring our program to a bowl season before opening up the new stadium. Not sure if you know every single alumni, but many who I know (and I have decades of fans in my pocket as well), showed up in support of the stadium and hopes of another winning season. Please don’t take away from what those kids did just because you disliked the schedule.
I agree with this.

1. The 2013 schedule was not nearly as weak as some on this site make it out to be (a little tougher than the 1998 schedule) and the 2013 team almost beat a ULL team that, thanks in significant part to its QB, was at an entirely different competitive level than the 2018 ULL team. It seems as though some fans fixate on the brands Tulane played instead of how good those teams were.
2. Many casual fans I’m aware of were excited about and had high hopes for the 2014 season given how Tulane performed in the 2013 season, and, if Tanner Lee wasn’t “Tanner Lee”, Tulane could have potentially won the season opener. For the sake of clarification, the 2014 team was still Tulane’s second best team since 2005.
wave97
Swell

You develop a program to attract prospects with choices. You fill a stadium with players that had choices.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:02 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:55 pm For the life of me, how did CJ and company find a way to lose to FAU, Texas San Antonio, Rice and South Alabama that year? The 2013 should have been a 11-1 season. I think I picked us to go 10-2 that year. This year, I think Fritz can pull out another bowl game. We need consistency in our program.
Even CJ admitted that the 2013 team left a lot on the table that was there for the taking. It was really a program (and I change that from "team" because the coaching staff was to blame) that underachieved given the way the season unfolded.
There was enough talent on that team to make it to the conference championship game. Price’s 1 mile per hour offense just couldn’t get to the house in time.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Wave QB wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:10 pm

I agree with this.

1. The 2013 schedule was not nearly as weak as some on this site make it out to be (a little tougher than the 1998 schedule) and the 2013 team almost beat a ULL team that, thanks in significant part to its QB, was at an entirely different competitive level than the 2018 ULL team. It seems as though some fans fixate on the brands Tulane played instead of how good those teams were.
2. Many casual fans I’m aware of were excited about and had high hopes for the 2014 season given how Tulane performed in the 2013 season, and, if Tanner Lee wasn’t “Tanner Lee”, Tulane could have potentially won the season opener. For the sake of clarification, the 2014 team was still Tulane’s second best team since 2005.

Tanner Lee actually did impress against Tulsa. The kid showed some flashes of something special in the opener. I jumped on the bandwagon after that night. I got off during the middle of the season. Lol.
Ball Sumrall!
greenie78
Riptide

The 2013 schedule was pretty weak. C-USA was a bad conference especially compared to the AAC which is still by far the best non-P5 conference in football and basketball.
Eaglewave
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:01 pm The 2013 schedule was pretty weak. C-USA was a bad conference especially compared to the AAC which is still by far the best non-P5 conference in football and basketball.
I still wish we were good enough to win the C-USA when we had the chance.
Ball Sumrall!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Eagle , you are exactly what we do not need, a bandwagon fan . Either you are with us or you are not.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:59 pm Eagle , you are exactly what we do not need, a bandwagon fan . Either you are with us or you are not.
If someone gives me a reason to get off their bandwagon, I proudly will. If you are a fan who will stay on a coach or player’s bandwagon once they prove that they don’t have what it takes to win, then you are the type of fan that we don’t need. There is a such thing called being “honest” and “real”.
Ball Sumrall!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Lets get this back on topic gentlemen.
pansdad
Ripple

I absolutely HATE this picking on each other; back and forth. Do you guys get any satisfaction from this?