Football Recruiting -- 2019

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We got Canteen from ND last year. So I'm sure they'll reach out but he's going to get big offers.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

Jeff Woods OL, Fayetteville, NC
ECU commit has tweeted that he's opening his recruiting with an offer from Tulane.
https://twitter.com/search?q=Jeff%20Woods&src=typd
https://247sports.com/player/jeff-woods-46057140/
anEngineer
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:16 pm Jeff Woods OL, Fayetteville, NC
ECU commit has tweeted that he's opening his recruiting with an offer from Tulane.
Coach Atkins always said an OL should never see the field until redshirt sophomore year. At 6-6, 260 lb, this kid probably could use some bulking. That is so ridiculous, but is reality with college football today.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm
Coach Atkins always said an OL should never see the field until redshirt sophomore year. At 6-6, 260 lb, this kid probably could use some bulking. That is so ridiculous, but is reality with college football today.
I wonder if Coach Atkins (with that philosophy) is a reason he's now reconsidering Tulane. There's plenty of stories of O-Linemen starting as true Freshman and being a four year starter.

There's been a whole lot of good things said about Coach Atkins since he called plays in the Cure Bowl and left for Charlotte. Meanwhile, the vast majority of posts regarding our O-Line since this regime took over were that our O-Line was one of the worst in FBS.

Does anyone else see the dichotomy between how we've viewed our O-Line and how much praise the departed coach has been given?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

Shout out to coach Speer & Staff. Good luck with the new weight room The coaches that players interact with the most are the strength & conditioning staff.
Any word on the O-Line Coach hire
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think this is what you were looking for, wave97

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

On the subject of Jeff Woods, it seems he's only got a few interested schools.

His interests are listed as ECU, UConn and Tulane. That's it. No smaller schools, no FCS, nothing.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm
I wonder if Coach Atkins (with that philosophy) is a reason he's now reconsidering Tulane. There's plenty of stories of O-Linemen starting as true Freshman and being a four year starter.

There's been a whole lot of good things said about Coach Atkins since he called plays in the Cure Bowl and left for Charlotte. Meanwhile, the vast majority of posts regarding our O-Line since this regime took over were that our O-Line was one of the worst in FBS.

Does anyone else see the dichotomy between how we've viewed our O-Line and how much praise the departed coach has been given?
it always seemed to me that people took a personal liking to him and started declaring him a great O-Line coach before he ever coached a game here. Some fell in line with that to go along with group think. The line has played poorly for the most part. No getting around that. As for the Bowl play calling we pretty much just ran it against a really bad defense. I hope he does well and has a great career but there wasn't a lot here to proclaim him a great coach.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Want to fantasize about a former SEC offensive player of the year? Jalen Hurts from Alabama graduated in December and is eligible for an immediate transfer:

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... fer-portal
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would LOVE to have Jalen Hurts for a year. But like you said, it's a fantasy! He could probably start at most SEC schools. AND he may return to Alabama. He and Tua are very good friends, if you believe the pregame show from the other night.

BTW: Someone at Tulane media needs to update the listing of Keon Howard's profile on Tulanegreenwave.com. It reads as if he's started 9 games for Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm Want to fantasize about a former SEC offensive player of the year? Jalen Hurts from Alabama graduated in December and is eligible for an immediate transfer:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... qb-wind-up
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm Want to fantasize about a former SEC offensive player of the year? Jalen Hurts from Alabama graduated in December and is eligible for an immediate transfer:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... qb-wind-up
I'm surprised Tulane wasn't on the list! C'mon man, we have Tulane academics, the city of New Orleans and a schedule that puts him on TV every week. Plus, he'd step in as the starter without question, and maybe McMillan would get another RS year!
JerseyWave
Riptide

We don't need a transfer QB. McMillan was 5-1 as starter. I was impressed with his arm, poise, mobility, toughness and all. Give him a full offseason and we should see great things from him in 2019. We need a talented freshman QB that will develope and compete for playing time in 2020.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jalen Hurts would make McM look like JV. Seriously, did you think he was all that great? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since he only came into the program in late August. But IF we had a chance (and we dont) to land the former SEC Player of the Year, he'd immediately be first string, and give us a chance to win the AAC. It's that big of an upgrade. Exactly the same thing can be said for the ND QB that's transferring out.

McMillan was and is a competent D1 QB. But that's all he's shown. He's not going to compete, especially in this conference, for offensive player of the year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We agree again.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

OU's back up QB Austin Kendall has just entered the NCAA transfer portal. He was to be the new OU starting QB, with Kylar Murray going into the NFL draft. This strongly suggests that Jalen Hurts will be heading to OU, and Kendall is squeezed out between Hurts (1 year eligibility), and Spencer Rattler, the nation's #1 QB recruit that OU signed three weeks ago. Kendall will be a grad transfer, with 2 years eligibility remaining. Will Fritz make a pitch?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm OU's back up QB Austin Kendall has just entered the NCAA transfer portal. He was to be the new OU starting QB, with Kylar Murray going into the NFL draft. This strongly suggests that Jalen Hurts will be heading to OU, and Kendall is squeezed out between Hurts (1 year eligibility), and Spencer Rattler, the nation's #1 QB recruit that OU signed three weeks ago. Kendall will be a grad transfer, with 2 years eligibility remaining. Will Fritz make a pitch?
We have to make the calls. We probably won't land them, but there's great QB's transferring from OU, ND, and Alabama, just to start the list.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If McMillan throws and runs for big yards this year with all his weapons and more importantly- New OC Hall- we can start having a shot at bigger QB transfers. Right now we are known for running backs on the offensive side of the ball and that’s it. Let’s put up a big season and these WR’s, TE’s and QB’s will line up.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 am Jalen Hurts would make McM look like JV. Seriously, did you think he was all that great? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since he only came into the program in late August. But IF we had a chance (and we dont) to land the former SEC Player of the Year, he'd immediately be first string, and give us a chance to win the AAC. It's that big of an upgrade. Exactly the same thing can be said for the ND QB that's transferring out.

McMillan was and is a competent D1 QB. But that's all he's shown. He's not going to compete, especially in this conference, for offensive player of the year.
We will see how competent he is with an OC capable of adjusting a scheme immediately.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm On the subject of Jeff Woods, it seems he's only got a few interested schools.

His interests are listed as ECU, UConn and Tulane. That's it. No smaller schools, no FCS, nothing.
Woods will be attending....UConn...said he wants to experience all 4 seasons of the year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm On the subject of Jeff Woods, it seems he's only got a few interested schools.

Woods will be attending....UConn...said he wants to experience all 4 seasons of the year
Randy Edssall's re-run all in lovely Storrs Connecticut...
Autmn: Losing
Winter: Basketball
Spring: Losing
Summer: Losing
Me thinks UConn gave him a shot at d-line. He'll wind up at o-line, after all that is where I predicted Chuck Jones would wind up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am
Randy Edssall's re-run all in lovely Storrs Connecticut...
Autmn: Losing
Winter: Basketball
Spring: Losing
Summer: Losing
Me thinks UConn gave him a shot at d-line. He'll wind up at o-line, after all that is where I predicted Chuck Jones would wind up.
UConn baseball makes for a much better (although colder) spring than those in uptown New Orleans the last few years.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm OU's back up QB Austin Kendall has just entered the NCAA transfer portal. He was to be the new OU starting QB, with Kylar Murray going into the NFL draft. This strongly suggests that Jalen Hurts will be heading to OU, and Kendall is squeezed out between Hurts (1 year eligibility), and Spencer Rattler, the nation's #1 QB recruit that OU signed three weeks ago. Kendall will be a grad transfer, with 2 years eligibility remaining. Will Fritz make a pitch?
Jalen Hurts announces he's headed to OU--completing the story behind Austin Kendall's transfer. I hope Fritz does contact Kendall--he's a good QB who pushed Kylar Murray for the starting position last August.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Jalen Hurts announces he's headed to OU--completing the story of Austin Kendall's transfer.
The story will be complete when Kendall declares where he's going. He can play immediately if he's graduated. And we sure as heck should be contacting him, Tulane offers a lot that would be of interest, particularly if he cares about life after football and wants his graduate degree to be meaningful.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jeff Woods is a UConn commit. Much as I'd prefer him to come to Tulane, his twitter account says nothing other than UConn as his destination.