Tulane Whips ULL 41-24 In The Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know about y'all, but I am smiling all day today (despite a bit of a hangover!) Way to go, Coach Fritz and staff and the entire team for not giving up when it was looking bleak. 2-5 and down 10 points at Tulsa, it would have been easy to fold the tents. But this team didn't give up.

Anyone have Cure Bowl Coach Fritz body surfing video?

ROLL WAVE!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

It feels good to win. I am very happy for Fritz and our seniors. I won’t act as if we had a great season by any means, but watching our guys in a bowl game instead of being at home watching other 6 and 7 win teams getting a spot light is a much better way to end a season.

It seems as if we are in line to have a better season. I hope we pull off 8+ wins next year.
Wave755
Tsunami

As a nice side note to the Cure Bowl, Tulane President Mike Fitts pledged to donate $100 to breast cancer research for each point the Wave scored for the game.

President Fitts has now donated $4,100 for The Cure. :)
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:19 pm In a mere 3 years Fitts-Hertz-Dannen have proven what we all knew all along. The only thing Tulane need do to be successful for Div. 1 football is pay a Div. 1 salary to our coach and his staff and play by the same rules as everyone else. Kelly introduced the “Tulane Model,” Cowen retained most of Kelly’s “Tulane Model” but also refused to pay a Div. 1 salary for our coach thereby limiting us to “shot in the dark” hires the likes of Scelfo, Toledo & CJ. There is never a long line for martyrdom. Under Kelly and Cowen the Tulane HC job was seen by quality coaches as hopeless.

Since no one in G5 can successfully recruit head-to-head against a LSU, it is imperative we separate ourselves in Louisiana from the likes of ULALA, UL-Monroe, and a more formidable La Tech.

LSU offers only about 12 to 15 Louisiana football players a year. We have to be the choice of all good Louisiana players LSU doesn’t offer but who want to play in-state. Today’s beat down of ULALA, and some of you “Tulane fans” might not want to admit it, but a beat down it was, will go a long way to showing Louisiana high school football players we are by far as a program in a different class than ULALA, UL-M, La. Tech and the AAC as a conference is far superior from A to Z to both CUSA and the SBC.

Today was a big statement by Tulane for Louisiana football. This state has more than enough talent for 2 top 25 programs.

Roll Wave Roll!!! :D
Wave, are you trying to convince others, or yourself of what you say?

Uh, yeah, a beat-down it was, but wouldn't a bit of perspective be in order here before declaring the dawning of a new age n the world of football, Wave755?

Here are a few facts: Tulane, playing in the AAC, working with a budget that I would guess is double ours, and with a coach in his 3rd year at the helm and at least two classes that he personally recruited, beat a first year coach who took over a team that had quit on the last coaching staff, and with the number of scholarship players at a level not too much above FCS levels due to NCAA infractions in the past, A team with no FBS quarterback and no defense. A first year coach who managed to win a divisional title with that limited squad, and then play competitively in the championship game with that same squad, and make a bowl appearance all in his first year.

Had McMillan not tranferred shortly before the season, how do you guys think Fritz would have done this year? I believe that's an honest question to ask, no? If the answer is not: he'd have done equally as wel or better than 7-6, then what does that say actually?

As it stands today, Napier and his staff are scheduled to sign a class on Wednesday, that will rank very near the top of all the G5's. A class that from what I understand is majority Louisiana talent. Perhaps getting our asses kicked on Saturday will change that outcome drastically, I don't really know. But if it doesn't, then to a great degree, I believe it'll blow a hole in your assertion that Louisiana players will see Tulane as being in a different class than the Cajun program.

Stay tuned. If we get our asses kicked again on Wednesday, I'll gladly take my lumps.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:19 pm In a mere 3 years Fitts-Hertz-Dannen have proven what we all knew all along. The only thing Tulane need do to be successful for Div. 1 football is pay a Div. 1 salary to our coach and his staff and play by the same rules as everyone else. Kelly introduced the “Tulane Model,” Cowen retained most of Kelly’s “Tulane Model” but also refused to pay a Div. 1 salary for our coach thereby limiting us to “shot in the dark” hires the likes of Scelfo, Toledo & CJ. There is never a long line for martyrdom. Under Kelly and Cowen the Tulane HC job was seen by quality coaches as hopeless.

Since no one in G5 can successfully recruit head-to-head against a LSU, it is imperative we separate ourselves in Louisiana from the likes of ULALA, UL-Monroe, and a more formidable La Tech.

LSU offers only about 12 to 15 Louisiana football players a year. We have to be the choice of all good Louisiana players LSU doesn’t offer but who want to play in-state. Today’s beat down of ULALA, and some of you “Tulane fans” might not want to admit it, but a beat down it was, will go a long way to showing Louisiana high school football players we are by far as a program in a different class than ULALA, UL-M, La. Tech and the AAC as a conference is far superior from A to Z to both CUSA and the SBC.

Today was a big statement by Tulane for Louisiana football. This state has more than enough talent for 2 top 25 programs.

Roll Wave Roll!!! :D
Wave, are you trying to convince others, or yourself of what you say?

Uh, yeah, a beat-down it was, but wouldn't a bit of perspective be in order here before declaring the dawning of a new age n the world of football, Wave755?

Here are a few facts: Tulane, playing in the AAC, working with a budget that I would guess is double ours, and with a coach in his 3rd year at the helm and at least two classes that he personally recruited, beat a first year coach who took over a team that had quit on the last coaching staff, and with the number of scholarship players at a level not too much above FCS levels due to NCAA infractions in the past, A team with no FBS quarterback and no defense. A first year coach who managed to win a divisional title with that limited squad, and then play competitively in the championship game with that same squad, and make a bowl appearance all in his first year.

Had McMillan not tranferred shortly before the season, how do you guys think Fritz would have done this year? I believe that's an honest question to ask, no? If the answer is not: he'd have done equally as wel or better than 7-6, then what does that say actually?

As it stands today, Napier and his staff are scheduled to sign a class on Wednesday, that will rank very near the top of all the G5's. A class that from what I understand is majority Louisiana talent. Perhaps getting our asses kicked on Saturday will change that outcome drastically, I don't really know. But if it doesn't, then to a great degree, I believe it'll blow a hole in your assertion that Louisiana players will see Tulane as being in a different class than the Cajun program.

Stay tuned. If we get our asses kicked again on Wednesday, I'll gladly take my lumps.
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Amazing win. Great Season. Hail Wave Fritz!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Anyone wanna come up with a list of starters coming back?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:18 pm Anyone wanna come up with a list of starters coming back?
Offense:

McMillan
Bradwell
Mooney
Dublin
Claybrook

Defense:

Sample
P.Johnson
Williams
J. Johnson
Moody
Monroe
Hall
Harper

ST':

Glover
Jones-Returner
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 pm
Ruski wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:18 pm Anyone wanna come up with a list of starters coming back?
Offense:

McMillan
Bradwell
Mooney
Dublin
Claybrook

Defense:

Sample
P.Johnson
Williams
J. Johnson
Moody
Monroe
Hall
Harper

ST':

Glover
Jones-Returner
so 3 new starters on the O-line? Good thing we got a new OC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

We're not losing any RBs, so technically there should be another one. Unless our official starting lineup is 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.

If so, considering one of the WRs was Clewis who was MIA for almost the entire two years he was here, and his replacement should be Jalen McCleskey, I figure that's like replacing a starter with a starter.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm We're not losing any RBs, so technically there should be another one. Unless our official starting lineup is 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.

If so, considering one of the WRs was Clewis who was MIA for almost the entire two years he was here, and his replacement should be Jalen McCleskey, I figure that's like replacing a starter with a starter.
If Fritz can get a couple more oline grad transfers or juco kids, we might actually be in contention for the conference. #rolldamnwave
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am Heading home! Great trip up for all that made it. The program has turned the corner. I can’t wait for the high uptempo offense we’re going to run next season!
Roll Wave!
So jealous of you, TPS.

Wish I could have been there too.

Roll Wave Roll for 2019.
chain gang in front of me.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am Heading home! Great trip up for all that made it. The program has turned the corner. I can’t wait for the high uptempo offense we’re going to run next season!
Roll Wave!
So jealous of you, TPS.

Wish I could have been there too.

Roll Wave Roll for 2019.
chain gang in front of me.
What a great weekend. :)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm We're not losing any RBs, so technically there should be another one. Unless our official starting lineup is 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.

Actually we do usually only have one RB on the field. Also I get what you're saying about Clewis but McCleskey will take Encalade's spot. Still you have to like our prospects especially with Hall coming in. The biggest question will be if Fritz really allows Hall to have complete control of the offense. He's already said in local interviews he has always run triple option and will incorporate it with Hall's offense. We'll see.
TURVS71
Swell

Good thing Cowen isn’t around now because with our bowl win and momentum, he would probably call for a secret “review.” :lol:
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave755
Tsunami

Local media coverage of Tulane has been the best for our Cure Bowl win. The Advocate, T-P & television stations have all given us expensive positive reporting for the game. With LSU idle and the Saints not playing until Monday, we have owned the weekend!!! This hasn’t happened for the Wave in many years now.:D
ccap05
Surge

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 pm Good thing Cowen isn’t around now because with our bowl win and momentum, he would probably call for a secret “review.” :lol:
Time to let it go.
chain gang x man
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 pm Local media coverage of Tulane has been the best for our Cure Bowl win. The Advocate, T-P & television stations have all given us expensive positive reporting for the game. With LSU idle and the Saints not playing until Monday, we have owned the weekend!!! This hasn’t happened for the Wave in many years now.:D
John Georges attended the tailgate party in Orlando. Pitiful he doesn’t increase the coverage of Tulane
MicMan
Swell

With any luck, we won't have to wait another 16 years for the next bowl win!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hurts a bit to lose encalade, but we are swapping him out for mcclesky. A proven vet WR, who is top 10 all time in yards and tds at Oklahoma State. I would say that’s an upgrade over encalade if he stays healthy. Dauphine/Bradwell/ amari Jones all back and a year stronger, more mature and wiser. I’m sure some of our freshman (Spears’s) and rising rb’s (huderson) will battle for playing time.

Sucks to lose chuck jones when he could have been a real weapon all year, but he should be proud of the massive plays he made in the last two
Games.

McMillan will be back with a full year to study the new offense and with a dynamic OC to Help him develop. If Howard, Daniels or a freshman beat him out we have to be pleased to be in such a spot. If he’s the starter I’ll still be happy as we look to win conference.
Does anyone know anything about the staffs thoughts on Christian Daniels the rising sophomore who redshirted ? Not much is known.

Anyway- The sun is shining brightly, a good time to be alive
- Roll Wave !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Daniels is not highly thought of. It wouldn't be surprising to see him transfer.
AugWave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm Daniels is not highly thought of. It wouldn't be surprising to see him transfer.
If I were him, I wouldn't. Next year he'll be a RS Fr. Following year will be a battle between he and the Southern Miss transfer (I think the USM transfer will be our next starting QB unless we get a STUD in the next recruiting class or two). After that, it should be his job to lose.

Feels good to finally have some depth for once.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.