Basketball Recruiting -- 2017

Talk about the latest recruits here.
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
netshorty wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Looks like penny has cherry picked Crabtree to Memphis . We’re down to 1 player in the next class. The name “Moses” better be appropriate. Is there a Jesus out there too?
Is this speculation or confirmed flip? His twitter account still shows committed to Tulane. Though articles about his Memphis visit don't sound good. Good news is that we can't really fall any further in recruiting in AAC. Still near or at dead-ass last. And the pipeline for the remainder of this year's class...I must not know where to look...
Speculation on my part. Penny is going to make some noise on the recruiting trail. I don’t know if he’ll revive Memphis or not but he knows the game and the kids know him. Memphis is a lot closer to a turnaround than Tulane.
yes, unfortunately I think you're right, though not official. i didn't like reading this article:
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 459518002/
If I had to bet he’s gone. Memphis has a higher basketball profile than we do. But he’d do himself better playing for Dunleavy.

We’re going to find out quickly just what Dunleavy has in the tank. You just don’t hear anything at all coming out of the basketball program. Any urgency? We already know there’s no pressure to win. Gosh , thinking back to the energy pouring out of the campus when perry got here . That’s what this penny hardaway hire feels like. I remember perry Clark being applauded just by walking past a crowd. A different Tulane I guess. Eamon kelly’s Tulane.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's funny how this recruit from Hargrave Academy, that very few outside of me on this board gave any credit to, is now putting us into a "the sky is falling" mode because he may flip to Memphis. Clearly, Penny Hardaway thinks the kid can play.

But more importantly, I think Dannen needs to think long and hard about our basketball program. If all the recruits end up flipping and we have a lousy class and are in the bottom 3 of the AAC again next year, Dunleavy should be shown the exit. There needs to be a sense of urgency with the basketball program. It's VERY common to turn around a basketball program in a short period of time, and if Dunleavy does not bring us to the middle of the AAC (AT MINIMUM) in year three, there has to be doubt he can get us to the top of the conference, which should be our goal.

Penny Hardaway was a big move on Memphis' part. It was a $10 million investment in winning right away. I don't know that he's a better or worse coach than Dunleavy, but the folks that sign the checks in Memphis sure think he's $10 million better than Tubby Smith. I think Tubby Smith is a hell of a coach, but that's me.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:It's funny how this recruit from Hargrave Academy, that very few outside of me on this board gave any credit to, is now putting us into a "the sky is falling" mode because he may flip to Memphis. Clearly, Penny Hardaway thinks the kid can play.

But more importantly, I think Dannen needs to think long and hard about our basketball program. If all the recruits end up flipping and we have a lousy class and are in the bottom 3 of the AAC again next year, Dunleavy should be shown the exit. There needs to be a sense of urgency with the basketball program. It's VERY common to turn around a basketball program in a short period of time, and if Dunleavy does not bring us to the middle of the AAC (AT MINIMUM) in year three, there has to be doubt he can get us to the top of the conference, which should be our goal.

Penny Hardaway was a big move on Memphis' part. It was a $10 million investment in winning right away. I don't know that he's a better or worse coach than Dunleavy, but the folks that sign the checks in Memphis sure think he's $10 million better than Tubby Smith. I think Tubby Smith is a hell of a coach, but that's me.
Middle of the pack? Not possible. Daniels , embo, Cornish. That’s pretty much it. Sky already fell about midway through conference play. Lol
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tubby was hired at his alma mater- High Point.

A couple of posters worrying we might lose a recruit doesn't equate to the sky is falling. He took down that he was a Tulane commit right before his visit but then put it back up the next day. Seems like maybe he didn't get an offer. He should be worried if he does sign there that he might be kicked to the curb next year after Hardaway has a full year to recruit. Right now he's in scramble mode to get some bodies for next year. Memphis made a good hire.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:It's funny how this recruit from Hargrave Academy, that very few outside of me on this board gave any credit to, is now putting us into a "the sky is falling" mode because he may flip to Memphis. Clearly, Penny Hardaway thinks the kid can play.

Middle of the pack? Not possible. Daniels , embo, Cornish. That’s pretty much it. Sky already fell about midway through conference play. Lol
It's not the specific recruit flipping that is causing the sky to fall. It's the fact that he's just 1 of 2 players that have commited to Dunleavy and the program this year. A year in which the recruiting class needed to see a HUGE upgrade over previous years, but is ranked at the bottom of the conference even with both recruits. Couple that with losing Reynolds and possibly Frazier and we're looking at a likely repeat of 2016-17. Dunleavy is on his way to having the worst 3 year record of any coach since the Death Penalty.

Clark 41-46 (16-25) - Year 3 Improvement + 7 wins 22-9(8-4)
Finney 39-51 (15-33) - Year 3 Improvement +2 wins 16-15 (8-8)
Dickerson 46-45 (21-25) - Year 3 Improvement +0 wins 17-15(6-10)
Conroy 48-48 (12-36) - Year 3 Improvemnt +5 wins 20-15 (6-10)

What Dunleavy needs next year...
20-11 overall record to beat Finney's miserable first 3 year win total by 1 (39)
21-10 overall record to beat Finney's miserable first 3 year win % (.433)
15-16 overall record to show an improved win total - Only Dickerson didn't show at leat 2 more wins from year 2 to 3.
6-12 conference record to beat Conroy's historically terrible conference win % in first 3 years (.250)

Honestly I can't see this team going 15-16 (6-12) next year. Failure to do so would make Dunleavy the worst performing coach in and out of conference over the last 30 years. And with no real optimism around righting the ship through recruiting.

And IMO, compounding the issue (the sky is now falling) is that Dunleavy's failure here will set as back even further than Conroy or some of the others before him. For whatever reason (college game is different, recruiting game was different, whatever), the failure of a respected NBA coach here will make filling the position more difficult than ever. Maybe a Carlin Hartman/Kim Lewis reunion on the coaching bench...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

It's not the specific recruit flipping that is causing the sky to fall. It's the fact that he's just 1 of 2 players that have commited to Dunleavy and the program this year. A year in which the recruiting class needed to see a HUGE upgrade over previous years, but is ranked at the bottom of the conference even with both recruits. Couple that with losing Reynolds and possibly Frazier and we're looking at a likely repeat of 2016-17. Dunleavy is on his way to having the worst 3 year record of any coach since the Death Penalty.

Clark 41-46 (16-25) - Year 3 Improvement + 7 wins 22-9(8-4)
Finney 39-51 (15-33) - Year 3 Improvement +2 wins 16-15 (8-8)
Dickerson 46-45 (21-25) - Year 3 Improvement +0 wins 17-15(6-10)
Conroy 48-48 (12-36) - Year 3 Improvemnt +5 wins 20-15 (6-10)

What Dunleavy needs next year...
20-11 overall record to beat Finney's miserable first 3 year win total by 1 (39)
21-10 overall record to beat Finney's miserable first 3 year win % (.433)
15-16 overall record to show an improved win total - Only Dickerson didn't show at leat 2 more wins from year 2 to 3.
6-12 conference record to beat Conroy's historically terrible conference win % in first 3 years (.250)

Honestly I can't see this team going 15-16 (6-12) next year. Failure to do so would make Dunleavy the worst performing coach in and out of conference over the last 30 years. And with no real optimism around righting the ship through recruiting.

And IMO, compounding the issue (the sky is now falling) is that Dunleavy's failure here will set as back even further than Conroy or some of the others before him. For whatever reason (college game is different, recruiting game was different, whatever), the failure of a respected NBA coach here will make filling the position more difficult than ever. Maybe a Carlin Hartman/Kim Lewis reunion on the coaching bench...
That can't be true about our recruiting for this year being at the bottom of the conference. D has said it was only people here who were down on the recruiting while all the experts were raving about our recruiting.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Well, when you lose your only recruits...who people like winwave thought weren't valuable recruits...your class plummets. The "experts" winwave refers to is the broadcasters, whom winwave said had to hype next years players to keep people watching this years games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Never said he wasn't valuable. I just pointed out that you were wrong to say most recruits come from those type of schools. I was right about the broadcasters you used as the basis to bash those here who weren't happy with the recruiting.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You sound, once again, like Charlie Brown's teacher win.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Once again you can't stand being wrong.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You are SO right. As always, winwave is right, never wrong, and will school us all on how right he is.

Even when he's wrong!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You are so pathetic. You were clearly wrong and since you have no substance to back you up you attack. It’s what you do.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I still think we should hire Tubby Smith.
It seemed like the ideal move would’ve been for Memphis to keep Tubby and bring on Penny as a HC in waiting. The Larry Brown rumors suggest it’s what the higher ups want too, something Brown was able to implement at SMU. But Penny and Tubby both seem to have ego issues to keep that from working.

Tulane needs a similar dynamic. We’ve already got our Tubby, albeit a less impressive one, in Dunleavy. We need our Penny. Whether that’s Dunleavy Jr or a local guy or a recent NBA retiree or even just an up and coming assistant coach we need to get someone that’s got the fire and swagger to attract youngsters and is willing to work with Dunleavy to learn the systems and skills of his long coaching career.

Dunleavy is someone that screams authority to basketball people but we need someone with streetcred for the kids themselves. Or else we’ll never excel in this league.

My ideal crazy, fantasy pick: Shaq

A huge fuck you to the kitty kats and instantly transforms Tulane basketball. Worth whatever ludicrous contract he would require.
galvezwave
Swell

Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I still think we should hire Tubby Smith.
It seemed like the ideal move would’ve been for Memphis to keep Tubby and bring on Penny as a HC in waiting. The Larry Brown rumors suggest it’s what the higher ups want too, something Brown was able to implement at SMU. But Penny and Tubby both seem to have ego issues to keep that from working.

Tulane needs a similar dynamic. We’ve already got our Tubby, albeit a less impressive one, in Dunleavy. We need our Penny. Whether that’s Dunleavy Jr or a local guy or a recent NBA retiree or even just an up and coming assistant coach we need to get someone that’s got the fire and swagger to attract youngsters and is willing to work with Dunleavy to learn the systems and skills of his long coaching career.

Dunleavy is someone that screams authority to basketball people but we need someone with streetcred for the kids themselves. Or else we’ll never excel in this league.

My ideal crazy, fantasy pick: Shaq

A huge f**k you to the kitty kats and instantly transforms Tulane basketball. Worth whatever ludicrous contract he would require.
First thing I thought of when Penny was hired that Perry would have been perfect for his staff. As far as Tulane. I don’t know what the hell we can do if they even want to do anything. It’s as big a dumpster fire as baseball right now though. Crabtree or not.
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave wrote:I don’t know what the hell we can do if they even want to do anything. It’s as big a dumpster fire as baseball right now though. Crabtree or not.
What can we do... That's the problem with the swing and miss hire of a respected NBA coach... Keep him and continue losing but pump up the promise of better things to come OR get rid of him and tell the coaching community that an NBA coach of the year couldn't win here. Hopefully it's the latter and a coach doing any due diligence would watch game tape and know it was the coach not the program.
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave
Swell

netshorty wrote:Crabtree signing with Tulane

https://twitter.com/C_crab5/status/9840 ... 23457?s=09
Pleasantly surprised. The program needed this.
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:Crabtree signing with Tulane

https://twitter.com/C_crab5/status/9840 ... 23457?s=09
Pleasantly surprised. The program needed this.
Takes us from 11th best class in the AAC to 11th best class in the AAC. Doom and gloom aside, it is a nice win over Memphis and hopefully the kid is as underrated as some have stated.

Is there any other buzz or rumors of players MD is trying to sign now that signing day is here?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm glad we're getting Connor, and do think he's under-rated. Was leading scorer on one of the best Prep teams in the nation, one that only played other Prep Post Grad teams. There's higher ranked recruits coming out of Hargrave, but nobody filled the basket more than Crabtree.

Now, if we can land some more recruits (not projects) we'd have a chance at being competitive.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I'm glad we're getting Connor, and do think he's under-rated. Was leading scorer on one of the best Prep teams in the nation, one that only played other Prep Post Grad teams. There's higher ranked recruits coming out of Hargrave, but nobody filled the basket more than Crabtree.

Now, if we can land some more recruits (not projects) we'd have a chance at being competitive.
A recruiting victory over Memphis is a positive. Period. I think national perception is that Tulane is on the upswing. With the big name coach and Frazier getting draft love. The reality is we are severely flawed and not physically capable of banging night in night out in this league. The point guard would be nice but we need some men.
Ruski
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I'm glad we're getting Connor, and do think he's under-rated. Was leading scorer on one of the best Prep teams in the nation, one that only played other Prep Post Grad teams. There's higher ranked recruits coming out of Hargrave, but nobody filled the basket more than Crabtree.

A recruiting victory over Memphis is a positive. Period. I think national perception is that Tulane is on the upswing. With the big name coach and Frazier getting draft love. The reality is we are severely flawed and not physically capable of banging night in night out in this league. The point guard would be nice but we need some men.
Especially given that Memphis' new coach was signed for recruiting cachet. Holding onto Crabtree improves my confidence in Dunleavy a bit.

But as you said it, our problem last year was lack of any inside game. Our problem this year was lack of any inside game. Our forwards play like European forwards and the 2 African centers provided absolutely nothing. So Dunleavy brings in another SF and Guard?!

Unless one of those skinny kids makes huge strides or Sehic changes his game a bit, we'll have the same problems next year.

We don't need a Shaq but we need some sort of inside game to keep the defense honest. We've lost so many games the last 2 years in the second half as defenses adjust to our single pronged attack.
galvezwave
Swell

Ruski wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

Especially given that Memphis' new coach was signed for recruiting cachet. Holding onto Crabtree improves my confidence in Dunleavy a bit.

But as you said it, our problem last year was lack of any inside game. Our problem this year was lack of any inside game. Our forwards play like European forwards and the 2 African centers provided absolutely nothing. So Dunleavy brings in another SF and Guard?!

Unless one of those skinny kids makes huge strides or Sehic changes his game a bit, we'll have the same problems next year.

We don't need a Shaq but we need some sort of inside game to keep the defense honest. We've lost so many games the last 2 years in the second half as defenses adjust to our single pronged attack.
Blake Paul. 6’9 250. He’s got to become a factor in the paint. I thought sehic was our best player down the stretch. Probably having to do more heavy lifting than he cared to, but thank goodness we had him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We can only hope that he can provide the outside shooting that this offense so desperately needs. Welcome aboard. As others have noted may we add someone with size to help us down low.
galvezwave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Ruski wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

Blake Paul. 6’9 250. He’s got to become a factor in the paint. Actually would like to see him add 20 pounds. Muscle, roast beef poboy weight, anything. I thought sehic was our best player down the stretch. Probably having to do more heavy lifting than he cared to, but thank goodness we had him.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Smart kid. He made the right decision.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981