Catholic Schools vote to go "P5" sort of.

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:The publics in NOLA for the most part don't want to break away, it would hurt them financially and they have no problem competing in football and bball. This whole thing started bc of Curtis and Evangel. It was started by a principal from around Alexandria who was pissed Curtis beat her football team. The Catholic League isn't stealing public school kids.
so the Catholic Schools have to conform to geographic boundries, just like the Public Schools ?...if not, then they are recruiting ( stealing, you words not mine) kids from Public schools from parish's surronding Orleans and Jefferson....is this correct ?..
If I'm a parent of a talented football player who happens to live in Orleans Parish, are you telling me I CAN'T choose to send my kid to Rummel, or St. Aug, or Brother Martin, assuming he can make the grades? That's not "recruiting", or "stealing", that's an intelligent decision by a parent. I live in St. Charles Parish and both my boys went to Rummel. They weren't "recruited" away from Destrehan. And no one could prove it if they were.
I never said a parent could not chose what school they would like to have their wonderfully talented child attend... I said it is unfair for a school with a "select' pedigree, who have standing red shirt programs, and don't tell me JC, Evangel and others do not, I know better... wants to be able to play against schools that do not have the luxury of having kids cross school boundaries or repeat the 7th grade,it used to be the 8th grade but the LHSAA "cracked down on ole JC and Evangel. The Catholic Schools as well as JC, Evangel can recruit the State of Louisiana if they wish, and they do for athletic talent, the public schools cannot, the parent or guardian must live within the public school boundaries in order to be eligible ...hell at one time back in the day Holy Cross had a dorm for all of the out of state players who suddenly showed up on campus to play football...

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:The publics in NOLA for the most part don't want to break away, it would hurt them financially and they have no problem competing in football and bball. This whole thing started bc of Curtis and Evangel. It was started by a principal from around Alexandria who was pissed Curtis beat her football team. The Catholic League isn't stealing public school kids.
so the Catholic Schools have to conform to geographic boundries, just like the Public Schools ?...if not, then they are recruiting ( stealing, you words not mine) kids from Public schools from parish's surronding Orleans and Jefferson....is this correct ?..
If I'm a parent of a talented football player who happens to live in Orleans Parish, are you telling me I CAN'T choose to send my kid to Rummel, or St. Aug, or Brother Martin, assuming he can make the grades? That's not "recruiting", or "stealing", that's an intelligent decision by a parent. I live in St. Charles Parish and both my boys went to Rummel. They weren't "recruited" away from Destrehan. And no one could prove it if they were.
By "recruiting", I think there is more of the suggestion that athletic scholarships or tuition adjustments would become part of the deal. That would be a huge blow to the public schools but no LHSAA means the privates could do it.
I would love to see the books when it comes to just how much "tuition' is being paid by the parents of most of the players at JC, Evangel and many of the Catholic Schools...it has been many years since my cousin and my self were recruited, but I know for a fact that my and my cousins parents were not going to be paying tuition....my cousin ended up at St Aloysius, he later played for UH... I chose to attend East Jeff instead of De La Salle
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

What I know currently is that Jesuit, Brother Martin, and Holy Cross are making people pay and are not letting their coaches "get in" players that shouldnt be there. It hasn't always been that way, but that's the way it is right now. Those 3 are playing by the rules right now. I don't know enough about St. Aug and Shaw to know what's going on over there, but I don't think they are doing too much from what I can see. Rummel has been doing some very questionable stuff the last few years and was letting in all kinds of kids and many were not paying. The new principal ended it last year and they lost a group of younger kids. The Football Alums came back and pressured them into going back to letting kids in. De La Salle, is completely off the rails and is doing some incredibly ridiculous things such as letting kids in and not making them pay and when they don't turn out athletically as good as they thought they would be reneging on scholarship and making them pay full. DLS is so bad right now that I heard from several people this year that Curtis was considering turning them in. The only Catholic League schools that are truly operating in a stable manner are the Top 3 (Jesuit, BM, HC). Rummel can't figure out what they want to do. Everyone else is barely keeping their heads above water.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:What I know currently is that Jesuit, Brother Martin, and Holy Cross are making people pay and are not letting their coaches "get in" players that shouldnt be there. It hasn't always been that way, but that's the way it is right now. Those 3 are playing by the rules right now. I don't know enough about St. Aug and Shaw to know what's going on over there, but I don't think they are doing too much from what I can see. Rummel has been doing some very questionable stuff the last few years and was letting in all kinds of kids and many were not paying. The new principal ended it last year and they lost a group of younger kids. The Football Alums came back and pressured them into going back to letting kids in. De La Salle, is completely off the rails and is doing some incredibly ridiculous things such as letting kids in and not making them pay and when they don't turn out athletically as good as they thought they would be reneging on scholarship and making them pay full. DLS is so bad right now that I heard from several people this year that Curtis was considering turning them in. The only Catholic League schools that are truly operating in a stable manner are the Top 3 (Jesuit, BM, HC). Rummel can't figure out what they want to do. Everyone else is barely keeping their heads above water.
Excellent report! I have heard some of that stuff about DLS as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:What I know currently is that Jesuit, Brother Martin, and Holy Cross are making people pay and are not letting their coaches "get in" players that shouldnt be there. It hasn't always been that way, but that's the way it is right now. Those 3 are playing by the rules right now. I don't know enough about St. Aug and Shaw to know what's going on over there, but I don't think they are doing too much from what I can see. Rummel has been doing some very questionable stuff the last few years and was letting in all kinds of kids and many were not paying. The new principal ended it last year and they lost a group of younger kids. The Football Alums came back and pressured them into going back to letting kids in. De La Salle, is completely off the rails and is doing some incredibly ridiculous things such as letting kids in and not making them pay and when they don't turn out athletically as good as they thought they would be reneging on scholarship and making them pay full. DLS is so bad right now that I heard from several people this year that Curtis was considering turning them in. The only Catholic League schools that are truly operating in a stable manner are the Top 3 (Jesuit, BM, HC). Rummel can't figure out what they want to do. Everyone else is barely keeping their heads above water.
Excellent report! I have heard some of that stuff about DLS as well.
Sader...thanks for the insight and I am happy for some comic relief: the gall of JC to turn in any school, warrants a late nite guest appearance for some network !!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Should the breakup happen LSU will host all the championships in every sport. No more dome for football or Tulane for baseball. In fact they will probably play on the same weekend as the publics play in the dome.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks bad for La HS sports. Everyone gets a trophy mentality. Over 300 teams with losing records could now make the playoffs.
http://theadvocate.com/news/16043289-12 ... mpionships
Bundy called the current path of the LHSAA unhealthy, noting the possibility of legislative intervention, loss of sponsorships and increased costs that go along with expanding to include more champions. Durrett said the expanded split could put as many as 300 teams with losing records in the playoffs in the five split sports.
http://wgno.com/2016/06/08/vote-stands- ... -playoffs/
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:Looks bad for La HS sports. Everyone gets a trophy mentality. Over 300 teams with losing records could now make the playoffs.
Bundy called the current path of the LHSAA unhealthy, noting the possibility of legislative intervention, loss of sponsorships and increased costs that go along with expanding to include more champions. Durrett said the expanded split could put as many as 300 teams with losing records in the playoffs in the five split sports.

Thanks to some whiny a$$ publics and the recruiting of the privates, everyone will suffer. Hahnville and Destrehan have had several kids in all sports leave the district after middle school to go the privates but still compete with and beat most of them. I agree with cracking down hard on any school that recruits (I've seen the coaches from several NOLA privates out here at playground games over the years). With the split the overall competitive level in the football playoffs is watered down a bunch and if they pull out for all sports it will hurt all schools. I don't expect cooler heads to prevail on this issue though. There is no winner in this one.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Looks bad for La HS sports. Everyone gets a trophy mentality. Over 300 teams with losing records could now make the playoffs.

Thanks to some whiny a$$ publics and the recruiting of the privates, everyone will suffer. Hahnville and Destrehan have had several kids in all sports leave the district after middle school to go the privates but still compete with and beat most of them. I agree with cracking down hard on any school that recruits (I've seen the coaches from several NOLA privates out here at playground games over the years). With the split the overall competitive level in the football playoffs is watered down a bunch and if they pull out for all sports it will hurt all schools. I don't expect cooler heads to prevail on this issue though. There is no winner in this one.
Right. Next move coming from the privates I'm sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I have straight up no problem with private schools "recruiting". If the public school didn't suck so bad then these kids wouldn't feel the need to have to travel outside their district.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:I have straight up no problem with private schools "recruiting". If the public school didn't suck so bad then these kids wouldn't feel the need to have to travel outside their district.
And that's exactly why the public schools like Destrehan and Hahnville are still able to compete. They're good schools. Both my daughters graduated from Destrehan.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

The publics recruit as much as the Privates. Three days ago the Catholic schools were pretty intent on staying as the hope was a compromise was going to be worked out or attendance wouldn't be high and the split would be overturned. It seems that sentiment has done a 180. I think everyone wants to pull out now and take the bigger publics with them. My best assessment of the situation is if Jesuit and BM decide to pull out that the rest of the privates will be gone immediately. Jesuit has been reluctant to bail bc thus far the archdiocese wants the schools to stay.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

P5 it is!

My brother-in-law on the committee
Brother Martin’s Ryan Gallagher, Country Day’s Mike McGuire and Mount Carmel’s April Hagadone are the New Orleans-area reps on the executive committee, which will serve in 2019-20 on an interim basis.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tps- Is April related to Alden?
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm tps- Is April related to Alden?
I bet so. I’ll check on that. I wondered that myself.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

in Texas the privates play in TAPPS...in Lousiana it can be called LAPPS...the LHSAA, needs to cut all ties with the Privvy memebrs
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ah, LA high school nonsense. Ya’ll going to add a shot clock like the rest of the nation or just stay in the “old days”. One of the bottom three states in being up to the times. Hope we are all glad to be wrapped in with Mississippi and Alabama on all things. Proud company I guess.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Prozac.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 pmProzac.
Reality.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane now potential host for football and baseball championships.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... e9558.html
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:41 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 pmProzac.
Reality.
Yet our High Schools keep sending out a high number of players to colleges .The coaching is just fine.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 pm Ah, LA high school nonsense. Ya’ll going to add a shot clock like the rest of the nation or just stay in the “old days”. One of the bottom three states in being up to the times. Hope we are all glad to be wrapped in with Mississippi and Alabama on all things. Proud company I guess.
Actually the shot clock wasn’t added because the public schools couldn’t afford the costs associated with it. (Installation costs plus they’d need to pay another person to run it). Now with the separation you may see the private side add a shot clock they previously proposed wanting.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 pm Ah, LA high school nonsense. Ya’ll going to add a shot clock like the rest of the nation or just stay in the “old days”. One of the bottom three states in being up to the times. Hope we are all glad to be wrapped in with Mississippi and Alabama on all things. Proud company I guess.
Actually the shot clock wasn’t added because the public schools couldn’t afford the costs associated with it. (Installation costs plus they’d need to pay another person to run it). Now with the separation you may see the private side add a shot clock they previously proposed wanting.
shot clocks must have gotten complicated...when I operated the scoreboard for Tulane womens Basketball, I also operated the shot clock.....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am
shot clocks must have gotten complicated...when I operated the scoreboard for Tulane womens Basketball, I also operated the shot clock.....
Yep the “old days” :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane still a top choice to host for selects.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 8882474def
”As a Tulane fan I would love to see the school host a conference championship game,” said Gallagher, Brother Martin's principal. “That would be great. But by the same token, if (Tulane) manages to advance to the (American Athletic Conference) title game, I would like to see us playing at that venue.”

The Green Wave can still qualify for the AAC title game. Meanwhile, UL's Cajun Field could be the site of a Sun Belt Conference title game and Teurlings could possibly play there if it's available. Both Tulane and UL are required by their conferences to reserve their facilities until they are no longer in title-game contention.

The conference title games also are scheduled for Dec. 5-7.
Tulane Class of 1981