Catholic Schools vote to go "P5" sort of.

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Breaking free of LHSAA
https://www.facebook.com/WGNOSports/vid ... 854717305/

TPS... I could not get the sound to come on...will this include JC, Evangel, Park View Baptist etc, as well, if not, they could be in for one hell of a rude awakening . I have a golf match today, but you may wish to look at the demographics of Louisiana in regards to Catholic / Private schools and the percentage of the population affected, to see if this makes any sense. I may be incorrect, but the vast majority of "Catholic Schools", with any "consistent impact" on sports in Louisiana, are concentrate within about a 50-60 mile radius of NOLA... I look forward to the results of this meeting.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:

TPS... I could not get the sound to come on...will this include JC, Evangel, Park View Baptist etc, as well, if not, they could be in for one hell of a rude awakening . I have a golf match today, but you may wish to look at the demographics of Louisiana in regards to Catholic / Private schools and the percentage of the population affected, to see if this makes any sense. I may be incorrect, but the vast majority of "Catholic Schools", with any "consistent impact" on sports in Louisiana, are concentrate within about a 50-60 mile radius of NOLA... I look forward to the results of this meeting.
Only mention was Catholic schools. But here's what I would expect. Once the new group is formed they will selectively invite schools like JC, Evangel etc. similar to what we have in college with the P5. The better schools will gladly make the switch and the LSHAA will be stuck with their minor league system that will starve on the vine with the belief that every school should make the playoffs and get a trophy mentality. They wanted segregation and now they got it.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Only mention was Catholic schools. But here's what I would expect. Once the new group is formed they will selectively invite schools like JC, Evangel etc. similar to what we have in college with the P5. The better schools will gladly make the switch and the LSHAA will be stuck with their minor league system that will starve on the vine with every school makes the playoff and gets a trophy mentality.
"what is meant by "Better Schools"...if not "better public schools", these catholic schools now have an association name "The Metro Conference" rises from the ashes !!! If I remember correctly the vote to have select - non select has been taken, what has changed in the last few weeks to make the minority think the majority is going to cave...is Bernie Sanders giving up his prez campaign to become the "Select Commish"...I do not think, the population in cities like Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria,Hammond, Lake Charles, Ruston and to a smaller degree Lafayette, New Iberia and Baton Rouge really care about the issues facing the Catholic Schools in metro NOLA.... I have gone to both the NOLA.com and Advocate sites, neither has a write up that I can find regarding this high profile meeting...The best to all schools , but I do not see the Public Schools caving and I do not see the LHSAA going away anytime soon, now if Hillary was in charge, all bets are off !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Only mention was Catholic schools. But here's what I would expect. Once the new group is formed they will selectively invite schools like JC, Evangel etc. similar to what we have in college with the P5. The better schools will gladly make the switch and the LSHAA will be stuck with their minor league system that will starve on the vine with every school makes the playoff and gets a trophy mentality.
"what is meant by "Better Schools"...if not "better public schools", these catholic schools now have an association name "The Metro Conference" rises from the ashes !!! If I remember correctly the vote to have select - non select has been taken, what has changed in the last few weeks to make the minority think the majority is going to cave...is Bernie Sanders giving up his prez campaign to become the "Select Commish"...I do not think, the population in cities like Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria,Hammond, Lake Charles, Ruston and to a smaller degree Lafayette, New Iberia and Baton Rouge really care about the issues facing the Catholic Schools in metro NOLA.... I have gone to both the NOLA.com and Advocate sites, neither has a write up that I can find regarding this high profile meeting...The best to all schools , but I do not see the Public Schools caving and I do not see the LHSAA going away anytime soon, now if Hillary was in charge, all bets are off !!!!
You won't see it on NOLA or Adv because Ed (and Ken T) has the best high school coverage in the state and is privy to things like this. It was a scheduled "secret" meeting that he was tipped off on. When referring to the "Better" schools Im referring to some of the private ones that offer better competition. One school that will be hurt is St Pauls in Covington. They are in a great league with all pubic schools that are a natural rival's on the Northshore. They would have to travel across the lake to get games with non rivals if this goes down.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

If the Catholic Schools break off from LHSAA and form their own league, would there be any legal reason they couldn't invite select public schools? There were some public schools that didn't want to be split up. You could end up seeing a lot of the public schools in outlying areas be willing to join the private school league for competitive reasons.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

You won't see it on NOLA or Adv because Ed has the best high school coverage in the state and is privy to things like this. It was a scheduled "secret" meeting that he was tipped off on. When referring to the "Better" schools Im referring to some of the private ones that offer better competition. One school that will be hurt is St Pauls in Covington. They are in a great league with all pubic schools that are a natural rival's on the Northshore. They would have to travel across the lake to get games with non rivals if this goes down.

AHHHHH....the ole "double secret" meeting, that only ED knew about and not one damn thing on "sportsnola" .... I would bet if push comes to shove, Public schools leaving the LHSAA for membership with select schools will have to be brought to a general population vote of the citizens or by school boards...it would be interesting to see where the voting lines would be drawn on a state wide basis ....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:If the Catholic Schools break off from LHSAA and form their own league, would there be any legal reason they couldn't invite select public schools? There were some public schools that didn't want to be split up. You could end up seeing a lot of the public schools in outlying areas be willing to join the private school league for competitive reasons.
Right. But not sure about the political fallout. They may lose some state tax dollars that go only to public schools.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:If the Catholic Schools break off from LHSAA and form their own league, would there be any legal reason they couldn't invite select public schools? There were some public schools that didn't want to be split up. You could end up seeing a lot of the public schools in outlying areas be willing to join the private school league for competitive reasons.
Right. But not sure about the political fallout. They may lose some state tax dollars that go only to public schools.
I just can't see a Parish School Board allowing ONE "invited' school to leave to be a part of a "select' athletic conference...that is 'Political Faux Pas" that will end most political careers...even if your name is Edwards or Landrieu
ajcalhoun
Swell

It's some of the power schools like West Monroe and Zachary that are considering joining up with the power privates. It's going to get even messier now and could bring about the end of LHSAA altogether.
God Bless Everyone!
sader24
Tsunami

Just remember many of the larger public schools weren't too keen on this split to begin with especially in Southern Louisiana. The Catholic Schools and Private schools have no choice but to split at this point. This whole thing was brought about by a women principal at a small school in the middle of nowhere. While the private schools are not as strong as they were 15 years ago they are not as weak as your making them out to be. I suspect they will break off, refuse to play against any public schools that voted for the split at any level in any sport girls/boys, pay officials an increased fee to exclusively officiate on games in their new association, pass laws that allow more recruiting and selective scholarships for athletes. Essentially they will try to starve public schools in the areas where there is a significant private presence of athletes, officials, etc. They will also invite charters and publics that want to join. I think the end game here is an eventual split of South and North Louisiana athletically in some fashion. You could quite a few charters from the NOLA area join.
sader24
Tsunami

The larger public schools are upset bc they get the same vote as a school with 90 students in the middle of nowhere. They don't like a school with 1400 students having the same amount of votes as a school with 90-100 students. North Louisiana has far more votes proportionate to school enrollment than South Louisiana. TPS is correct when he makes the P5 analogy. Imagine LSU having as many votes as McNeese when it comes to how their Athletic Department competes and what rules its held to.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:The larger public schools are upset bc they get the same vote as a school with 90 students in the middle of nowhere. They don't like a school with 1400 students having the same amount of votes as a school with 90-100 students. North Louisiana has far more votes proportionate to school enrollment than South Louisiana. TPS is correct when he makes the P5 analogy. Imagine LSU having as many votes as McNeese when it comes to how their Athletic Department competes and what rules its held to.
I am not a Political Pundit...but his is sorta sounding like the Republicans vs Democrats.... I am sure in the end, there will be another "secret" meeting. Everyone will be invited, they will sit around the campfire enjoying marshmellows, hot dogs and Dixie 45 Beer, knowing they did what was best for the children as they also watch reruns of "Swamp People" on the big outdoor screen. C'mon we all know in the end, the "Good Hands" people will decide what happens
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:The larger public schools are upset bc they get the same vote as a school with 90 students in the middle of nowhere. They don't like a school with 1400 students having the same amount of votes as a school with 90-100 students. North Louisiana has far more votes proportionate to school enrollment than South Louisiana. TPS is correct when he makes the P5 analogy. Imagine LSU having as many votes as McNeese when it comes to how their Athletic Department competes and what rules its held to.
I am not a Political Pundit...but his is sorta sounding like the Republicans vs Democrats.... I am sure in the end, there will be another "secret" meeting. Everyone will be invited, they will sit around the campfire enjoying marshmellows, hot dogs and Dixie 45 Beer, knowing they did what was best for the children as they also watch reruns of "Swamp People" on the big outdoor screen. C'mon we all know in the end, the "Good Hands" people will decide what happens
I don't think there will be a campfire meeting at all. The privates gave it a chance and played along for one term to show the minor publics how stupid the situation was. Then when the publics said they wanted to keep it again, the privates can say they gave it a chance and they are ready to move on. This is the pure ignorance of the public school administrators. Like so much in the Louisiana public school system, the good have to suffer for the few that are truly ignorant. Whether it is good are not, the privates will be free to recruit if they want, practice however they want and schedule however they want.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I don't think there will be a campfire meeting at all. The privates gave it a chance and played along for one term to show the minor publics how stupid the situation was. Then when the publics said they wanted to keep it again, the privates can say they gave it a chance and they are ready to move on. This is the pure ignorance of the public school administrators. Like so much in the Louisiana public school system, the good have to suffer for the few that are truly ignorant. Whether it is good are not, the privates will be free to recruit if they want, practice however they want and schedule however they want.
+1
The killer for privates was making all sports besides football forced to follow this same logic.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

A bit old, but a good article by Ed. I'm sure most of you have read this.

http://sportsnola.com/group-of-select-p ... sociation/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:It's some of the power schools like West Monroe and Zachary that are considering joining up with the power privates. It's going to get even messier now and could bring about the end of LHSAA altogether.
I wonder how many Catholic / Private schools are raiding / recruiting the student populations of both West Monroe and Zachary for players ?..
sader24
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:It's some of the power schools like West Monroe and Zachary that are considering joining up with the power privates. It's going to get even messier now and could bring about the end of LHSAA altogether.
I wonder how many Catholic / Private schools are raiding / recruiting the student populations of both West Monroe and Zachary for players ?..
This makes no sense. West Monroe and Zachary aren't losing players to privates, they want to compete against the Privates and Catholics but are being prevented from doing it because small schools have the same vote they do determining who they compete against. West Monroe, Ruston, and Neville have been doing the same things Curtis and Evangel have been doing for years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
This makes no sense. West Monroe and Zachary aren't losing players to privates, they want to compete against the Privates and Catholics but are being prevented from doing it because small schools have the same vote they do determining who they compete against. West Monroe, Ruston, and Neville have been doing the same things Curtis and Evangel have been doing for years.
U made my point !!! West Monroe is not competing for Athletes against schools that can recruit, Catholic and private schools are few and far between in North Louisiana !!!... Most of the Public Schools in metro NOLA have all of the Private / catholic schools tapping into their geographic student base for ball players....most schools in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Monroe / West Monroe, Lake Charles, Alexandria, do not have this issue, the 'Public School" is the main one in town. U can bet your azz if Monroe and Zachary had several private/catholic schools recruiting their student-athlete base, their thinking would be different. Monroe-west Monroe has a population of about 75,000 with zero privates recruiting ...Shreveport has 200,000 with only "Evangel" being a player in the recruiting derby...METRO - NOLA and this encompasses the area north and west of the Lake up to Hammond,Covington, Mandeville, Slidell, laPlace, Lutcher has a population of 1.4 million and with how many Private-Catholic schools recruiting ?.. I can see what Monroe and Zachary do not have an issue !!!!
sader24
Tsunami

The publics in NOLA for the most part don't want to break away, it would hurt them financially and they have no problem competing in football and bball. This whole thing started bc of Curtis and Evangel. It was started by a principal from around Alexandria who was pissed Curtis beat her football team. The Catholic League isn't stealing public school kids.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:The publics in NOLA for the most part don't want to break away, it would hurt them financially and they have no problem competing in football and bball. This whole thing started bc of Curtis and Evangel. It was started by a principal from around Alexandria who was pissed Curtis beat her football team. The Catholic League isn't stealing public school kids.
so the Catholic Schools have to conform to geographic boundries, just like the Public Schools ?...if not, then they are recruiting ( stealing, you words not mine) kids from Public schools from parish's surronding Orleans and Jefferson....is this correct ?..
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Next step is the legislature going to pass a law to prevent public schools that are receiving public funds from splitting.
http://sportsnola.com/future-of-lhsaa-p ... gislature/
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:The publics in NOLA for the most part don't want to break away, it would hurt them financially and they have no problem competing in football and bball. This whole thing started bc of Curtis and Evangel. It was started by a principal from around Alexandria who was pissed Curtis beat her football team. The Catholic League isn't stealing public school kids.
so the Catholic Schools have to conform to geographic boundries, just like the Public Schools ?...if not, then they are recruiting ( stealing, you words not mine) kids from Public schools from parish's surronding Orleans and Jefferson....is this correct ?..
If I'm a parent of a talented football player who happens to live in Orleans Parish, are you telling me I CAN'T choose to send my kid to Rummel, or St. Aug, or Brother Martin, assuming he can make the grades? That's not "recruiting", or "stealing", that's an intelligent decision by a parent. I live in St. Charles Parish and both my boys went to Rummel. They weren't "recruited" away from Destrehan. And no one could prove it if they were.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
If I'm a parent of a talented football player who happens to live in Orleans Parish, are you telling me I CAN'T choose to send my kid to Rummel, or St. Aug, or Brother Martin, assuming he can make the grades? That's not "recruiting", or "stealing", that's an intelligent decision by a parent. I live in St. Charles Parish and both my boys went to Rummel. They weren't "recruited" away from Destrehan. And no one could prove it if they were.
By "recruiting", I think there is more of the suggestion that athletic scholarships or tuition adjustments would become part of the deal. That would be a huge blow to the public schools but no LHSAA means the privates could do it.