Arnie Fielkow's blueprint for success for Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Why is anyone surprised by any of this? Cowen changed the culture at Tulane - the only thing that matters to the university is money and power. Nothing else really matters. If you don't contribute to either of those, you are irrelevant - this applies to educational programs and athletics.

JerseyWave
Riptide

If the Saints are calling the shots on the AD hire then it is an out and out disgrace. The Saints should have no influence on who Tulane interviews or hires for AD and Coach. Fitts better take back the Athletic Department. Screw their IPF. We should build our own. Sean Payton is going to the Miami Dolphins and CJ can follow him there.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:This whole thing is going to make it a lot harder for us to bring in a qualified outside candidate.

The drama and politics surrounding this do not make Tulane seem like an attractive option to an outside hire.

We had Baylor and Auburn candidates interested 24 hours ago, being interviewed. This just FUBARs the whole process for potentially luring someone talented from outside.

I know people just want to see Rome burn so we can rebuild it, but that's an illusion. It's never going to be burnt to the ground and we're never going to get to rebuild it. I know people are getting their catharsis right now but I think we just assured that BB is the hire. Nobody else will want to step into this mess.
I respectfully disagree. If anything this means BB has less of a chance and may lesson the influence of the Saints mafia regarding BB/this hire.

The stink emanating from the Wilson Center is well known throughout the industry. We need to start acting like a real athletic program and all this doc did was lay out a plan to do so. That's progress and actually judging by wins/losses. Your POV is very Yggie-ish, just bury your head in the sand.
That's not what I'm saying at all in my post.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:And the YOGGIES are vilifying Arnie, saying he's classless to have let this leak, and they're glad he's not under consideration. What a bunch of losers.
:o you mean to say the posts on that forum exactly match up with the message the Wilson Center would like to promote?!?!?!?; :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:If the Saints are calling the shots on the AD hire then it is an out and out disgrace. The Saints should have no influence on who Tulane interviews or hires for AD and Coach. Fitts better take back the Athletic Department. Screw their IPF. We should build our own. Sean Payton is going to the Miami Dolphins and CJ can follow him there.
That's what happens in a corrupt situation. The decisions that affect a $B organization were bought from a senile guy for $6MM so Cowen/Dickson could claim success for their ill-conceived stadium plan.
sader24
Tsunami

It is beyond ridiculous to say the reason ppl won't want this job is Bc AF released a detailed plan on his vision for Tulane. A great vision. The reason ppl don't want this job is bc of exactly what this is exposing. Corruption and outside interference running Tulane for the last 2 decades. Not hiring qualified candidates bc unqualified candidates with the right connections are preferred. This entire situation is a microcosm of what's plagued Tulane for 20 years and why nobody wants to come here. We don't interview candidates bc we sold our soul to Tom Benson. We hired CJ bc the Saints promised us millions. We hired Scelfo bc Sam Scelfo pulled strings. Devlin, etc. the list goes on. Give me a freaking break. You really think competitive AD candidates from the SEC and Big 12 care about a guy releasing his plan?? No they care about how this place operates and if there is the right infrastructure in place to succeed and move on to a better job.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:It is beyond ridiculous to say the reason ppl won't want this job is Bc AF released a detailed plan on his vision for Tulane. A great vision. The reason ppl don't want this job is bc of exactly what this is exposing. Corruption and outside interference running Tulane for the last 2 decades. Not hiring qualified candidates bc unqualified candidates with the right connections are preferred. This entire situation is a microcosm of what's plagued Tulane for 20 years and why nobody wants to come here. We don't interview candidates bc we sold our soul to Tom Benson. We hired CJ bc the Saints promised us millions. We hired Scelfo bc Sam Scelfo pulled strings. Devlin, etc. the list goes on. Give me a freaking break. You really think competitive AD candidates from the SEC and Big 12 care about a guy releasing his plan?? No they care about how this place operates and if there is the right infrastructure in place to succeed and move on to a better job.
Better to publicly expose the corruption in hopes that it changes rather then doing nothing and letting it continue to fester.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:It is beyond ridiculous to say the reason ppl won't want this job is Bc AF released a detailed plan on his vision for Tulane. A great vision. The reason ppl don't want this job is bc of exactly what this is exposing. Corruption and outside interference running Tulane for the last 2 decades. Not hiring qualified candidates bc unqualified candidates with the right connections are preferred. This entire situation is a microcosm of what's plagued Tulane for 20 years and why nobody wants to come here. We don't interview candidates bc we sold our soul to Tom Benson. We hired CJ bc the Saints promised us millions. We hired Scelfo bc Sam Scelfo pulled strings. Devlin, etc. the list goes on. Give me a freaking break. You really think competitive AD candidates from the SEC and Big 12 care about a guy releasing his plan?? No they care about how this place operates and if there is the right infrastructure in place to succeed and move on to a better job.
Bingo.
AugWave
Swell

Somebody just texted me the link to the proposal. Man... I almost teared up reading it. He actually WANTS TO WIN! Fuck Tulane for not even giving this guy an interview. I swear, the person we hire better have a better proposal than that and come out the gate firing mf's, or I'm done. No more season tickets. No more games. Nothing.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

AugWave wrote:Somebody just texted me the link to the proposal. Man... I almost teared up reading it. He actually WANTS TO WIN! f**k Tulane for not even giving this guy an interview. I swear, the person we hire better have a better proposal than that and come out the gate firing mf's, or I'm done. No more season tickets. No more games. Nothing.
+1000
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

AugWave wrote:Somebody just texted me the link to the proposal. Man... I almost teared up reading it. He actually WANTS TO WIN! f**k Tulane for not even giving this guy an interview. I swear, the person we hire better have a better proposal than that and come out the gate firing mf's, or I'm done. No more season tickets. No more games. Nothing.
To be clear, the Board wants to hire the candidate who will change nothing and continue executing on the existing plans, which they wholeheartedly believe are working.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow, just wow. This was posted by long green over on the YOGGIE forum. He's one of the worst of the Green-colored glasses bunch:
on edit: as a production, The Playbook was wayyyyy more professional looking than this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

I don't get why anyone should have a problem with this information coming out unless there is something to hide. These are AF's ideas and vision. He created the presentation. It's his property, not Tulane's. He is not leaking Tulane proprietary data that he received confidentially. Those yoggies are a piece of work.
OUG
Riptide

The shit it is stirring up, and the (so far completely unsubstantiated) rumors of the Saints running the show, etc.

None of this stuff was something they were looking at before, but they are today. Because Eric Asher wanted to kick the hornets nest in the middle of the interview process. Remember, we aren't just interviewing these qualified P5 candidates, they are interviewing us. It's not a good look. And so far, nothing Asher has said is substantiated by anything.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
The sh*t it is stirring up, and the (so far completely unsubstantiated) rumors of the Saints running the show, etc.

None of this stuff was something they were looking at before, but they are today. Because Eric Asher wanted to kick the hornets nest in the middle of the interview process. Remember, we aren't just interviewing these qualified P5 candidates, they are interviewing us. It's not a good look. And so far, nothing Asher has said is substantiated by anything.
Not true. RD told us he got CJ based on Loomis recommendation. Burke and Payton are connected. Sidwell's dad coached for the Saints. We use the Saints IPF and have Benson's name on the field. Gayle Benson is on the Tulane board. You really can't believe Benson has no influence at Tulane. He basically has blackballed Fielkow. The least they should have done was grant him an interview. No one is saying he deserved the job.
I was neutral on him. But after reading his plans I think he made points with many I've spoken to.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
The sh*t it is stirring up, and the (so far completely unsubstantiated) rumors of the Saints running the show, etc.

I'd say that is a good thing. You ignore the fact that this "leak" could change the POV of the board and avoid a hire based on one donors influence instead of who in fact is the best hire. Your POV basically argues that we should be bull$hitting candidates instead of letting them know the obstacles at play, that's bad business and very TU/yoggie-ish. You are advocating for the cone of silence, no?
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:

I'd say that is a good thing. You ignore the fact that this "leak" could change the POV of the board and avoid a hire based on one donors influence instead of who in fact is the best hire. Your POV basically argues that we should be bull$hitting candidates instead of letting them know the obstacles at play, that's bad business and very TU/yoggie-ish. You are advocating for the cone of silence, no?
As to the bolded part, I do think the board isn't going to be changed by any of this. The board includes Benson's wife. If this is happening because the board has an axe to grind with Arnie, then it's going to happen one way or another. Business will continue as usual.

I do think when we are interviewing some very qualified external candidates that we would be lucky to get (Benedict, Patulski), we aren't so much interviewing them as recruiting them. The upcoming interviews are more of a recruiting visit than a job interview. And no, during this process, to the extent that there is some political dirty laundry, it isn't the best time to fling it around in their faces, in a process they are involved in.

I don't know about cone of silence. I don't like the lack of transparency that Tulane generally operates in. However, I don't like a hire this big (that involves us working with multiple people who will probably be getting multiple job offers and have existing employers to think about) to be a media circus either. Certainly there is a balancing of interests here. MBA, when you are recruiting top talent to your company, would you want them to see a ton of infighting among the staff as you walk them through the offices? There's an understanding that it may go on at every company, sure, but its not the face you want to present. Just like how the face we would present to an athlete on a recruiting visit is important.

I get the whole "burn this ***** down" mentality. I'm not even saying that I'm better than wanting that. I just doubt that the fire will have the intended effects at this moment in time, and may have the opposite effects.

You or anyone else doesn't have to agree with that assessment. I'll offer it anyway, and I'm not going to apologize for it or take anyone saying that I'm burying my head in the sand or a yoggie or whatever other pejorative anyone wants to come up with. I want change at Tulane as much as anyone, starting with this AD hire. And I don't want the hiring process to become a circus that turns off qualified candidates.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:This whole thing is going to make it a lot harder for us to bring in a qualified outside candidate.

The drama and politics surrounding this do not make Tulane seem like an attractive option to an outside hire.

We had Baylor and Auburn candidates interested 24 hours ago, being interviewed. This just FUBARs the whole process for potentially luring someone talented from outside.

I know people just want to see Rome burn so we can rebuild it, but that's an illusion. It's never going to be burnt to the ground and we're never going to get to rebuild it. I know people are getting their catharsis right now but I think we just assured that BB is the hire. Nobody else will want to step into this mess.
BS. A good candidate won't be scared off by this. Every AD hiring process is going to become a media circus w/different factions wanting different candidates and using the media to try and benefit their candidate. If we end up w/Burke it will be b/c that was the plan all along. As usual you are always looking to talk down to Tulane fans and to blame them. Look in the mirror and see who the problem is.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

winwave wrote:

BS. A good candidate won't be scared off by this. If we end up w/Burke it will be b/c that was the plan all along. As usual you are always looking to talk down to Tulane fans and to blame them. Look in the mirror and see who the problem is.
I'm also a Tulane fan, my friend. You don't have a monopoly on that. Might want to check your own arrogance.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:

As to the bolded part, I do think the board isn't going to be changed by any of this. The board includes Benson's wife. If this is happening because the board has an axe to grind with Arnie, then it's going to happen one way or another. Business will continue as usual.

I do think when we are interviewing some very qualified external candidates that we would be lucky to get (Benedict, Patulski), we aren't so much interviewing them as recruiting them. The upcoming interviews are more of a recruiting visit than a job interview. And no, during this process, to the extent that there is some political dirty laundry, it isn't the best time to fling it around in their faces, in a process they are involved in.

I don't know about cone of silence. I don't like the lack of transparency that Tulane generally operates in. However, I don't like a hire this big (that involves us working with multiple people who will probably be getting multiple job offers and have existing employers to think about) to be a media circus either. Certainly there is a balancing of interests here. MBA, when you are recruiting top talent to your company, would you want them to see a ton of infighting among the staff as you walk them through the offices? There's an understanding that it may go on at every company, sure, but its not the face you want to present. Just like how the face we would present to an athlete on a recruiting visit is important.

I get the whole "burn this ***** down" mentality. I'm not even saying that I'm better than wanting that. I just doubt that the fire will have the intended effects at this moment in time, and may have the opposite effects.

You or anyone else doesn't have to agree with that assessment. I'll offer it anyway, and I'm not going to apologize for it or take anyone saying that I'm burying my head in the sand or a yoggie or whatever other pejorative anyone wants to come up with. I want change at Tulane as much as anyone, starting with this AD hire. And I don't want the hiring process to become a circus that turns off qualified candidates.
I respect and appreciate your POV. Yes there is a cost to this but I do believe the benefit of washing out the unproductive influences of one donor is higher. Tulane doesn't change unless they are publicly embarrassed. My concern is the Saints/Payton's influence with BB. I mean isn't it curious that TU hires an employee from freaking Tier II Eastern Illinois, a public school 2000 miles away.
JTLiuzza
Swell

winwave wrote:

BS. A good candidate won't be scared off by this. Every AD hiring process is going to become a media circus w/different factions wanting different candidates and using the media to try and benefit their candidate. If we end up w/Burke it will be b/c that was the plan all along. As usual you are always looking to talk down to Tulane fans and to blame them. Look in the mirror and see who the problem is.
Exactly. As if otherwise every candidate out there would see this as a plum job with no internal difficulties? We're not hiring temps to sweep the floors. So let's pretend all is well, hang a picture over the hole in the wall, and once we get someone on board, then they can see the sh!thole they stepped into. BS is right.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Wow, just wow. This was posted by long green over on the YOGGIE forum. He's one of the worst of the Green-colored glasses bunch:
on edit: as a production, The Playbook was wayyyyy more professional looking than this.
I have on occasion visited the Yoggie board to see what's going on, but I have to say that after today, this news, and their reaction, I am done. It was always very clear and evident the censored message of Tulane athletics they wanted to portray, but if this latest fiasco with Tulane doesn't even partially unite any of our thoughts, they truly are delusional. End rant.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Asher is a media person that calls it as he see's it. He's not controlled by anyone. He had info and being in the media he feels it is in his duty to expose wrongdoing. He believes Benson is controlling Tulane too much. People can agree or disagree. This is his opinion. He's stated Tulane is rehashing 1998 Rich Rod all over again. He feels that it smells just like the insiders when they derailed Rod for Scelfo. His man is Fielkow and he feels the guy has been blackballed by Benson.
So he wanted Tulane fans to see what they missed out on because otherwise it would have never came to light. Until Tulane does something right like win, most in the public will continue to think they are incompetent when it comes to running a successful athletic dept.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Asher is a media person that calls it as he see's it. He's not controlled by anyone. He had info and being in the media he feels it is in his duty to expose wrongdoing. He believes Benson is controlling Tulane too much. People can agree or disagree. This is his opinion. He's stated Tulane is rehashing 1998 Rich Rod all over again. He feels that it smells just like the insiders when they derailed Rod for Scelfo. His man is Fielkow and he feels the guy has been blackballed by Benson.
So he wanted Tulane fans to see what they missed out on because otherwise it would have never came to light. Until Tulane does something right like win, most in the public will continue to think they are incompetent when it comes to running a successful athletic dept.
Of course Tulane and the YOGWF sheep think this is poor form. How dare the media inform the public! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
greenphantom
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Wow, just wow. This was posted by long green over on the YOGGIE forum. He's one of the worst of the Green-colored glasses bunch:
I have on occasion visited the Yoggie board to see what's going on, but I have to say that after today, this news, and their reaction, I am done. It was always very clear and evident the censored message of Tulane athletics they wanted to portray, but if this latest fiasco with Tulane doesn't even partially unite any of our thoughts, they truly are delusional. End rant.
No idea if this guy is a yoggie but on Twitter this person, who was making a big deal about AF misspelling Schiano's name, literally said "also keep in mind that if you took out records result, you'd make the hire of CJ 9/10 more times."

You just can't make this stuff up.

https://twitter.com/NewFoundGoody/statu ... 9210793986