Arnie Fielkow's blueprint for success for Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
hounddog
Low Tide

Is this guy even on the interview list?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

hounddog wrote:Is this guy even on the interview list?
Call Eric Asher on his WGSO 990am radio show that runs from 11am until 1pm today. He'll expose truth on this matter.
1-504-556-9696
http://tunein.com/station/?stationId=29157
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

It's as if he read this board and put everything we wanted and believe is possible into print! We need to make it public, so that if he really isn't chosen and we end up with Burke or Sidwell, the Board gets exposed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:It's as if he read this board and put everything we wanted and believe is possible into print! We need to make it public, so that if he really isn't chosen and we end up with Burke or Sidwell, the Board gets exposed.
I sent it out via Email to 50 Tulane supporters and also posted it on FB. It's every Tulane diehard fan's dream for what can and should take place.
My guess he was passed over for lack of AD experience.
He could be president of the US but he's not qualified to be AD at Tulane. Lol
You can't make this stuff up.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Only at Tulane, the alma mater that always makes us proud!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:It's as if he read this board and put everything we wanted and believe is possible into print! We need to make it public, so that if he really isn't chosen and we end up with Burke or Sidwell, the Board gets exposed.
I agree would it be possible to make this public? People wonder why all the Tulane fans are dying off. Enough is enough.

I bet Scott Kushner would do a story on this.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
I sent it out via Email to 50 Tulane supporters and also posted it on FB. It's every Tulane diehard fan's dream for what can and should take place.
He was passed over for lack of AD experience.
Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate everyone except Burke and Sidwell? Unless they're considering Deputy or Associate or Assistant AD as AD experience. Doing their best to put roadblocks to success everywhere they can.

This must be what Goldring meant by Tulane's "inherent challenges". Only Tulane can have a Board so clueless as to not know their aZZ from a hole in the ground.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

My guess is he was passed over because a lot of his ideas call for an INVESTMENT from the university before P5 dollars come into play. The Tulane administration has never understood the concept of investing in athletics and what it can mean to the bottom line. This presentation probably scared the hell out of them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
He was passed over for lack of AD experience.
Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate everyone except Burke and Sidwell? Unless they're considering Deputy or Associate or Assistant AD as AD experience. Doing their best to put roadblocks to success everywhere they can.

This must be what Goldring meant by Tulane's "inherent challenges". Only Tulane can have a Board so clueless as to not know their aZZ from a hole in the ground.
My guess. I don't know for sure. I'd bet Eric Asher would know for sure. But I believe in the job description it stated prior AD experience in some fashion was required. I'm guessing had Arnie been given the COO job that Burke got in March 2014 or had any experience working in an AD's office he'd be in the final two for sure. It's a way to narrow down the field but in this case it probably eliminated one of the best candidates remaining.
So only in Tulane's eyes he's not qualified. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If Arnies plan was not impressive enuff for the BOA....I would sure like to see what the others finalist provided
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:If Arnies plan was not impressive enuff for the BOA....I would sure like to see what the others finalist provided
I think all of us would, 'nut. The BOA MUST hire someone that has the same ambitious goals for the Athletics Department as Arnie. My bet is they hire Burke, and give lip service to these types of goals (P5 invite, regularly making post season in Football, Men's and Women's Basketball and Baseball, Athletics being the "front porch" and self-sufficient, etc.) but continue to operate the same way Scott Cowen has dictated for close to 20 years.

I'll say it now, and scream it again if Burke is indeed hired: Tulane is afraid of Athletics success, and the BOA and President stumble over themselves and act like the Keystone Cops trying their best to ensure mediocrity is the ceiling for Tulane Athletics. We currently struggle to reach mediocrity, and remain downright bad in the two most important sports. It's going to be hard to give Barbara Burke the benefit of the doubt if she doesn't come right out and lay out plans as aggressive as Arnies.

We hired a football HC that had not only never been a coordinator (at ANY level) yet we cannot hire a AD that hasn't been one before? HOGWASH!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:If Arnies plan was not impressive enuff for the BOA....I would sure like to see what the others finalist provided
I think all of us would, 'nut. The BOA MUST hire someone that has the same ambitious goals for the Athletics Department as Arnie. My bet is they hire Burke, and give lip service to these types of goals (P5 invite, regularly making post season in Football, Men's and Women's Basketball and Baseball, Athletics being the "front porch" and self-sufficient, etc.) but continue to operate the same way Scott Cowen has dictated for close to 20 years.

I'll say it now, and scream it again if Burke is indeed hired: Tulane is afraid of Athletics success, and the BOA and President stumble over themselves and act like the Keystone Cops trying their best to ensure mediocrity is the ceiling for Tulane Athletics. We currently struggle to reach mediocrity, and remain downright bad in the two most important sports. It's going to be hard to give Barbara Burke the benefit of the doubt if she doesn't come right out and lay out plans as aggressive as Arnies.

We hired a football HC that had not only never been a coordinator (at ANY level) yet we cannot hire a AD that hasn't been one before? HOGWASH!
Has Arnie worked in college athletics before in any capacity at all? Serious question. I know from his bio that he did legal compliance work for the Horizon League years and years ago on a contract basis. That's all I could find.

There are a lot of issues with that document that speak to a lack of familiarity with college athletics. For instance, his list of potential hires doesn't strike me as a serious list of someone who had given this a lot of thought. Chad Morris? And he got a lot of people's names wrong (Greg Shiviano?). Some of the document read more like a message board posting (which is why we like it), but it doesn't seem unreasonable to question whether he has the experience to turn that vision into a reality. There are likely other candidates with equally detailed vision documents that we aren't seeing who are qualified.

I realize we live in an age of media hype, where a real estate developer and a medical doctor tell us they have fool proof plans to defeat ISIS and end one of the most complicated civil wars in the history of geopolitics, and everyone eats that up. Qualifications apparently ain't what they used to be. But at least in my company, for anything beyond entry level, I want someone who has walked the walk before, especially if I'm looking at dozens of resumes of people who have done so. I'm not saying Arnie's experience is not relevant at all -- but he may not have made the cut based on that, which isn't entirely unreasonable.

I think we are so starved for a comprehensive vision that we are ready to jump at the first one we see (which clearly speaks to one of Tulane's major failings in communicating with its fans). We don't know what the board is seeing though.
Jaxwave
Swell

Dickson had prior experience. 'Nuff said.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Has Arnie worked in college athletics before in any capacity at all? Serious question. I know from his bio that he did legal compliance work for the Horizon League years and years ago on a contract basis. That's all I could find.

There are a lot of issues with that document that speak to a lack of familiarity with college athletics. For instance, his list of potential hires doesn't strike me as a serious list of someone who had given this a lot of thought. Chad Morris? And he got a lot of people's names wrong (Greg Shiviano?). Some of the document read more like a message board posting (which is why we like it), but it doesn't seem unreasonable to question whether he has the experience to turn that vision into a reality. There are likely other candidates with equally detailed vision documents that we aren't seeing who are qualified.

I realize we live in an age of media hype, where a real estate developer and a medical doctor tell us they have fool proof plans to defeat ISIS and end one of the most complicated civil wars in the history of geopolitics, and everyone eats that up. Qualifications apparently ain't what they used to be. But at least in my company, for anything beyond entry level, I want someone who has walked the walk before, especially if I'm looking at dozens of resumes of people who have done so. I'm not saying Arnie's experience is not relevant at all -- but he may not have made the cut based on that, which isn't entirely unreasonable.

I think we are so starved for a comprehensive vision that we are ready to jump at the first one we see (which clearly speaks to one of Tulane's major failings in communicating with its fans). We don't know what the board is seeing though.
All one had to do is compare this to what RD presented as the Playbook. 'Nuff said.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I can't see how one wouldn't get excited after reading this proposal. I was very neutral on the guy, before reading this. Any hire made better have a proposal equal to, if not better, than this or we will have our answer regarding Tulane and exactly where and how it wishes to compete in the future in athletics. This is a turning point, and I'm afraid and excited that we will have our answer very, very soon.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:I can't see how one wouldn't get excited after reading this proposal. I was very neutral on the guy, before reading this. Any hire made better have a proposal equal to, if not better, than this or we will have our answer regarding Tulane and exactly where and how it wishes to compete in the future in athletics. This is a turning point, and I'm afraid and excited that we will have our answer very, very soon.
Same here. I was also neutral on him prior to reading his plan. I believe the fix is in.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I know for a fact this proposal is going viral big time in the Tulane community. And letters from influential Tulanians are going out to Fitts as I write this.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I know for a fact this proposal is going viral big time in the Tulane community. And letters from influential Tulanians are going out to Fitts as I write this.
Fantastic to hear. In which case the leak was brilliant, brilliant politics.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I know for a fact this proposal is going viral big time in the Tulane community. And letters from influential Tulanians are going out to Fitts as I write this.
Fantastic to hear. In which case the leak was brilliant, brilliant politics.
It was a VERY SMART move to leak this. I've tweeted it this morning, been retweeted by Fletcher, and I know many others are seeing it. If you haven't already, tweet, email, and do whatever you can to just spread the word.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don't understand why people have a problem with this going public. He clearly isn't being offered the job and the guy is free to do as he pleases. Who cares what TU thinks of it or what this means for other candidates, that on them. Now one could argue he could personally burn some bridges but with the Benson's involved with TU he basically will never be able to get involved with the university and maybe this plan will appeal to other universities. In the end the only person who should have a problem with the leak is Fielkow himself (of course this assumes he did not intentionally leak the doc, which I suppose is possible).
ExileWave
Surge

Only at Tulane.....what a cluster $#@! We can't do anything right. Well, some fans wanted Fitts and the Board to be embarrassed...here we go.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'll try to call in the Eric Asher show today. Please post any questions you'd like me to ask in this thread. I encourage others to call in and voice their opinions as well.
Here's The link and ph # to his show.

Call Eric Asher on his WGSO 990am radio show that runs from 11am until 1pm today.
1-504-556-9696
http://tunein.com/station/?stationId=29157
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:I'll try to call Eric Asher today. Please post any questions you'd like me to ask in this thread.
Was the presence of Benson the basis for not being a finalist? Does Benson in fact dislike AF? Obviously does AF approve of the leak?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I'll try to call Eric Asher today. Please post any questions you'd like me to ask in this thread.
Was the presence of Benson the basis for not being a finalist? Does Benson in fact dislike AF? Obviously does AF approve of the leak?
Arnie leaked Bensons plans to move the Saints permanently to San Antonio after Katrina. Once the public and NFL found out it was halted. Arnie was later let go for exposing these plans. He had NOLA's best interest at heart. He than ran for council and on his first try won easily. People here love the guy for his transparency. That wouldn't fly at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981