TP pulls dedicated Tulane beat writer

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sources tell me Tammy Nunez has been moved to community news. As of now no replacement for a dedicated Tulane Athletics beat writer is planned. Looks to be the end of an ERA for the beat writer relationship between the TP and Tulane. TP decision making now comes from Alabama. Expect much less coverage from here forward from the 3 day a week rag still called the TP.
More reason than ever to support the Advocate.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Sources tell me Tammy Nunez has been moved to community news. As of now no replacement for a dedicated Tulane Athletics beat writer is planned. Looks to be the end of an ERA for the beat writer relationship between the TP and Tulane. TP decision making now comes from Alabama. Expect much less coverage from here forward from the 3 day a week rag still called the TP.
There will be a lot of Sturm Und Drang about how this is a failure of Tulane to stay relevant enough, etc. And it is. But its also more about the inevitable downward spiral of the TP than anything else. Tulane won't be the last beat to be dropped.

The TP long ago decided that it no longer wanted to be New Orleans' paper of record. This is part of that. It's happening around the country. Smart institutions are coping with this by amping up their new media strategies. My guess is that Tulane Athletics is not sharp enough to do that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Sources tell me Tammy Nunez has been moved to community news. As of now no replacement for a dedicated Tulane Athletics beat writer is planned. Looks to be the end of an ERA for the beat writer relationship between the TP and Tulane. TP decision making now comes from Alabama. Expect much less coverage from here forward from the 3 day a week rag still called the TP.
There will be a lot of Sturm Und Drang about how this is a failure of Tulane to stay relevant enough, etc. And it is. But its also more about the inevitable downward spiral of the TP than anything else. Tulane won't be the last beat to be dropped.

The TP long ago decided that it no longer wanted to be New Orleans' paper of record. This is part of that. It's happening around the country. Smart institutions are coping with this by amping up their new media strategies. My guess is that Tulane Athletics is not sharp enough to do that.
+1
I saw this coming as well. Tammy did her best. The TP offered her no support. She was a part time TP employee with no benefits. She wasn't allowed to travel unlike the 2-3 beat writers LSU has that travel for all sports. Sad day for Tulane fans IMO. If I were RD or Fitts I would be on the phone with the TP's David Francis (Executive Vice President and Publisher and a Tulane grad) his brother Timmy Francis is on the Tulane board. But that is probably a lost cause since Alabama is calling the shots now.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Not much going on now.
Do we know that we won't get a beat writer?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Not much going on now.
Do we know that we won't get a beat writer?
Hard to know for sure at this point. We'll know more in the fall. I doubt the TP comes out and says anything. You'll know from the coverage or lack of we may or may not get.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt about the fact that anger should be directed at the T-P. But there is no getting around the fact that Tulane brought this on themselves by dragging its program so far down. To ignore that is to contribute to the problem.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This has nothing to do with Tulane and everything to do with natural selection.

Rather than wasting time with what was laughably bad coverage to begin with, why don't we start supporting guys like Guerry Smith who are doing a good job covering the team elsewhere.

If there is enough demand for Tulane Athletics coverage, content will be available.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:This has nothing to do with Tulane and everything to do with natural selection.

Rather than wasting time with what was laughably bad coverage to begin with, why don't we start supporting guys like Guerry Smith who are doing a good job covering the team elsewhere.
Speaking of Smith, he seems to have gone AWOL. Maybe on vacation.
nawlinspete
Riptide

This belongs in Der Rathskeller.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:This has nothing to do with Tulane and everything to do with natural selection.

If there is enough demand for Tulane Athletics coverage, content will be available.

Guery is doing a good job? I must have missed that
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The one thing I knew about Tammy is that she really enjoyed covering the Tulane beat. That wasn't always the case with some others. As far as TP coverage I've spoken to TP Sports Editors and was always told it wasn't so much about winning as it was about interest. Many judged by the actual crowds we drew and didn't feel there was much interest in Tulane athletics because of that.
It's now all about the "clicks".
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:The one thing I knew about Tammy is that she really enjoyed covering the Tulane beat. That wasn't always the case with some others. As far as TP coverage I've spoken to TP Sports Editors and was always told it wasn't so much about winning as it was about interest. Many judged by the actual crowds we drew and didn't feel there was much interest in Tulane athletics because of that.
Duh. Thanks for the brilliant analysis. We would never have known without your insight.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The one thing I knew about Tammy is that she really enjoyed covering the Tulane beat. That wasn't always the case with some others. As far as TP coverage I've spoken to TP Sports Editors and was always told it wasn't so much about winning as it was about interest. Many judged by the actual crowds we drew and didn't feel there was much interest in Tulane athletics because of that.
Thanks for the brilliant analysis. We would never have known without your insight.
No problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OK everybody...set you laptop to "auto click" every 5 seconds...that should do the job !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:OK everybody...set you laptop to "auto click" every 5 seconds...that should do the job !!!!
Lol
:lol: :lol:
Don't give RD any more short cuts.
Tulane Class of 1981
exflash
High Tide

What is up with her status??? Is she still on the beat???
DrBox
Riptide

Obviously she is not on the beat per the other thread, which you have read and went giddy on all over the ULL board.
Beat writers change all the time and, while I had no complaints, she was also nothing special as a beat writer.
We'll see who our replacement is when fall practice resumes.
Thanks for your interest.
chain gang x man
Swell

Tammy Nunez and Scott Kushner both have been reassigned

Has anyone heard who will be covering Tulane athletics?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I've really noticed the lack of coverage in the TP print edition. It is now down to a "rail story" copied from the TulaneGW website once a week. It's quite sad to see this. We had media day recently and I didn't even see a TP story on that. LSU still gets the majority of the coverage even more than the Saints unless it's after a Saints game. This past Sunday there were close to 10 LSU related stories to one for Tulane. I get the TP free (I cancelled it awhile back but they still deliver it) The most value I get from it is when cleaning my fish and eating crawfish. The Advocate is the only way to go to get decent coverage.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Major lack of coverage by both newspapers. I cancelled my subscriptions on both because of lack of Tulane coverage. Sadly the owner of theAdvocate is a Tulane graduate but he could care less.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Confirmed.
Lyons Yellin WWL-TV ‏@LyonsYellin
As part of shakeup, per @NOLAnews source, staff was was informed a few weeks ago there would no longer be a dedicated #Tulane beat reporter
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Picking up from the Mike Leach thread, whatever became of Tammy Nunez anyway?
🤔

Click here to find out: https://blog.ochsner.org/biographies/tammy-nunez

And, if not already, "Buffet" Bob Toledo should be a customer of Tammy 😁
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:08 pm Picking up from the Mike Leach thread, whatever became of Tammy Nunez anyway?
🤔

Clip here to find out: https://blog.ochsner.org/biographies/tammy-nunez

And, if not already, "Buffet" Bob Toledo should be a customer of Tammy 😁
Love Tammy. Taught with her at Francos and Stone Creek. Her and her hubby are good people.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)