Why are we unable to recruit locally ?

Talk about the latest recruits here.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Playing in bowls no one cares about here against teams we'll never play again ( Nevada ) only reinforces the public perception of us as small time . We should have held out for an opponent familiar to New Orleanians and then stomped them . The Covid risk really should have had us not playing but , if we do play we should have refused all but Louisville or Georgia Tech .

And , as another poster reminds us our facilities suck .

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

And as we all know de - emphasis , leaving the SEC , leaving Tulane Stadium , COW DICK , leaving The Dome , Yulman and Tulane Gym / Fogelman all shout small time .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pepper
Swell

There's a TE/WR's coach on Zona's staff who is from Louisiana and has recruited the NOLA area looking for a job. His name is Theron Aych. Would be a plus for Tulane in both areas.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We need to remember too that there are a lot of good players at the Catholic schools and the private schools. Those kids can make it . Plus when we talk local we aren't just talking NOLA but all the surrounding parishes which have good public schools. Logan Diggs from Rummel is committed to ND. Then there's the fact that most or all of the public schools have become Charters since Katrina. So many of them have improved.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:19 pm We need to remember too that there are a lot of good players at the Catholic schools and the private schools. Those kids can make it . Plus when we talk local we aren't just talking NOLA but all the surrounding parishes which have good public schools. Logan Diggs from Rummel is committed to ND. Then there's the fact that most or all of the public schools have become Charters since Katrina. So many of them have improved.
Precisely this. We aren’t just speaking strictly Nola but surrounding parishes and the catholic school kids mostly check the responsible student box. So why has it been impossible to establish a greater New Orleans pipeline ? And if Kansas Memphis houston ULL la tech can get them we should too
MicMan
Swell

Lionel Washington is in his late 50s, that could be a problem in recruiting.
squilz
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:25 pm I don't care how much support they get. When you have kids "graduating" as valedictorian of their public school class and yet failing the GEE, what does that say for the education they got? And if they're the brightest of the group, what does it mean for the athletes, who many times come from poor backgrounds, don't have all the resources at home, or a supportive parent group. Just admit, there are some kids that aren't capable of handling a college curriculum, no matter how much support they get. A school like LSU will help them muddle their way thru until their eligibility runs out. That wont happen at Tulane.
This. Tulane's support systems for athletes (particularly football players) have beefed up considerably. New majors and other coursework, probably more intensive tutoring and more accessible counselors. What hasn't changed is there are still a select few classes that everyone has to take, and as much as they pad these outlier courses, an athlete will inevitably encounter one at least once. This is, a class not in their major or that athletes are steered towards (I took plenty of those classes myself). My last class at Tulane was one of these outliers that everyone takes. Summer after graduation in 2018, ebio1010. I was there due to a long standing scheduling error. maybe 20 kids in the class, 15-16 of them athletes, some it was their first time in a college classroom. The prof most definitely knew, and it was definitely not your bar-standard ebio1010 class, but some still struggled to keep up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yet they did . The proof being we haven't lost an athlete to academics in a while.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
AugWave
Swell

Just because you can make the grade and are local doesn’t mean that you fit in with the culture and scheme of the school/program. CJ recruited very well locally and a lot of those players made nfl rosters. Got us nowhere. Had a team full of individuals. Beef between players. Players flunked out. The culture was terrible. I’ve heard stories, especially since I hung out with players during those years.

It’s not that difficult to understand.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That had to do with CJ's lack of control of the program. Many locals can fit the team culture with the right leadership which we now have.
AugWave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:57 pm That had to do with CJ's lack of control of the program. Many locals can fit the team culture with the right leadership which we now have.
Yeah ok.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:20 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:57 pm That had to do with CJ's lack of control of the program. Many locals can fit the team culture with the right leadership which we now have.
Yeah ok.
Glad you've seen the light.
Jaxwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm Yet they did . The proof being we haven't lost an athlete to academics in a while.
Bet we have lost many a recruit not interested in making an effort in classroom like Tulane call for as a minimum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm Yet they did . The proof being we haven't lost an athlete to academics in a while.
Bet we have lost many a recruit not interested in making an effort in classroom like Tulane call for as a minimum.
You would but you have no proof. You've made it clear that you're struck on that being the problem and will stay stuck on it till you die. There is ample proof that that's not the case . We can now accept athletes at minimum levels , have several athlete friendly majors and a beefed up academic support unit. What we still have a lot of work to do is to shed the label of being a loser.
oliveandblue
Surge

I don't understand the negativity around a program that advanced to its third straight bowl for the first time in program history and is whiskers away from a big run one year. There has been a ton of growth in the last 10 years at Tulane - and it has accelerated under the new President.

This school dropped 100m in that timeframe on facilities.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's not negativity. It's just an honest discussion of our situation. The previous two years we went 6-6 in the regular season. Then won two nobody cares Bowls. This year we went 6-5 against a weak schedule. That is just not going to shed us of the loser label in the minds and hearts of the players we'd like to get locally. That's how bad the losing was for so long. We desperately need that breakthrough season. Next year would be a great time for it.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Army (66 sp + with national respect) and Memphis (50’s and highly respected program) aren’t no one. Cue extended diatribe desperately explaining why these schools actually are worse than their records.

3 winning seasons is enough to move the chains ( we are no longer a doormat), but why hasn’t greater New Orleans recruiting followed ? It needs to change. We also wouldn’t care, as our recruiting has gotten steadily better across the board, except for the insane lack of talent at DB and WR. That and the fact it’s not hard to find. It is flowing everywhere else in the south
Tulane1111
High Tide

The talent scouting during the CJ era was quite good and unique, many 2* & CUSA baseline (many were brought in when we were CUSA) they were bringing in future NFL guys..... who was responsible for this?

The future nfl superhero, ‘ rob kelly’ is a good example of this...many weeks in the nfl he was the most admired player,..here he was 4th string as RB, but great on the Punt team fake.

Fritz has had similar success.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:08 pm Army (66 sp + with national respect) and Memphis (50’s and highly respected program) aren’t no one. Cue extended diatribe desperately explaining why these schools actually are worse than their records.

3 winning seasons is enough to move the chains ( we are no longer a doormat), but why hasn’t greater New Orleans recruiting followed ? It needs to change. We also wouldn’t care, as our recruiting has gotten steadily better across the board, except for the insane lack of talent at DB and WR. That and the fact it’s not hard to find. It is flowing everywhere else in the south
Stats are for losers. No diatrabe needed. Army isn't any good. They get poll love b/c they are an armed forces team. Memphis made a bad hire and lost their top notch RB and WR to opt outs. Beating them didn't move the needle recruiting wise. We're happy for it but it didn't do anything recruiting wise. Three winning seasons would move it some if they were 7 wins, followed by 9 followed by 11 or more. Instead in the regular season we got 6 all three times. Always hunting teams that are bad enough that we can beat them.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Army ,Navy, Air Force recruiting..they get about 100 kids each recruiting year by "appointments"... they are then shipped off to their "prep' school for a year, since redshirts are not allowed at the acadamies ..out of 100 players, you can find 20 to 25 that can contribute each year...these appointments are based on a states population...that is why Navy insisted in being in the west division of AAC..so mom and dad of the Texas players don't have to travel far to see SMU, Tulsa, Houston and Tulane ..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s a local we signed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Not only is it difficult for us to be recognized by top recruits it is also difficult to engage our fans . For the last seven days only 57 register members visited this board !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm Bet we have lost many a recruit not interested in making an effort in classroom like Tulane call for as a minimum.
This is dead on accurate. And it's also something all good academic athletic programs face. There's going to be a certain percentage of athletes, many of whom have been coddled along through their academic career, with little interest in going to class and applying themselves.

I think just about any student-athlete that WANTS to get an education can find a program their interested in and have the ability to complete at Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The athletes jax is referring to would never have considered Tulane any way because they are going to the top P5 teams. Nothing to do with academics. all to do with athletics.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:52 am
Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm Bet we have lost many a recruit not interested in making an effort in classroom like Tulane call for as a minimum.
This is dead on accurate. And it's also something all good academic athletic programs face. There's going to be a certain percentage of athletes, many of whom have been coddled along through their academic career, with little interest in going to class and applying themselves.

I think just about any student-athlete that WANTS to get an education can find a program their interested in and have the ability to complete at Tulane.
+1,000. Tulane has made it easier to recruit and keep players eligible. That said, as individuals, they have to value and want an education—and many probably could care less. I don’t doubt that some programs (ie Memphis) make it clear to recruits that there will be zero pressure to attend classes. Obviously Tulane will never do that. Over the past couple years, I’m more
concerned about the coaching than the talent level, which has improved. Yes we only now have a QB, and still need DBs and WRs, but our RBs, OL and DL recruiting has improved markedly. But anyone we recruit has to at least want an education , and attend class.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana