Why are we unable to recruit locally ?

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

And Tulane is the only school that requires players to attend class. :roll:

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:57 am The athletes jax is referring to would never have considered Tulane any way because they are going to the top P5 teams. Nothing to do with academics. all to do with athletics.
You really think only top 4 and 5 star players have that attitude? Might want to go actually sit in some local public school classrooms. Even the average athlete, you know the low to mid three stars (the type of players Tulane usually gets), have that approach to academics. There's a reason years ago they lowered the average GPA needed to be eligible in HS. Their argument was, the only reason a lot of these kids stayed in school was to play sports, and if you took that away from them, they'd just drop out. Those kids aren't going to P5s, but they're not going to make it at Tulane, so why recruit them?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:57 am The athletes jax is referring to would never have considered Tulane any way because they are going to the top P5 teams. Nothing to do with academics. all to do with athletics.
Then why do so many of them end up at Memphis, SDSU, USM, Marshall, Charlotte, (just to name a few) and other G5 schools? And why do they last 3, 4 or 5 years (or longer)?

This is a very real issue we'll always face. Nothing to do with 5 star recruits (that select a G5 once every blue moon)), all about athletes that have zero interest in education. They're WAY more common than you think, and if you think we're not turning away from dozens that don't make our recruiting list for that reason, you're putting your head in the sand. We go after players that are interested in academics, even if they're not in the top 20% of their graduating class. We leave the others for the programs where you can get by without any academic effort, and those programs are NOT limited to the "top P5 teams."

Yes, Tulane has taken steps towards making it more athlete friendly. But we're still not going to keep a kid in school 4 years without him going to class and making some effort. Other programs will.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:34 am
You really think only top 4 and 5 star players have that attitude? Might want to go actually sit in some local public school classrooms. Even the average athlete, you know the low to mid three stars (the type of players Tulane usually gets), have that approach to academics. There's a reason years ago they lowered the average GPA needed to be eligible in HS. Their argument was, the only reason a lot of these kids stayed in school was to play sports, and if you took that away from them, they'd just drop out. Those kids aren't going to P5s, but they're not going to make it at Tulane, so why recruit them?
Preach Preacher, ya speak da' truth, and U will be set free !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:34 am
You really think Tulane is the only school that requires them to go to class? also there are a lot of private schools that produce a lot of those 2-3 stars we recruit. Then there are more and more magnet H.S. that also produce those type of players. So yes there are a lot of players to be had that can hack it at Tulane.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:15 am
Then why do so many of them end up at Memphis, SDSU, USM, Marshall, Charlotte, (just to name a few) and other G5 schools? And why do they last 3, 4 or 5 years (or longer)?

This is a very real issue we'll always face. Nothing to do with 5 star recruits (that select a G5 once every blue moon)), all about athletes that have zero interest in education. They're WAY more common than you think, and if you think we're not turning away from dozens that don't make our recruiting list for that reason, you're putting your head in the sand. We go after players that are interested in academics, even if they're not in the top 20% of their graduating class. We leave the others for the programs where you can get by without any academic effort, and those programs are NOT limited to the "top P5 teams."

Yes, Tulane has taken steps towards making it more athlete friendly. But we're still not going to keep a kid in school 4 years without him going to class and making some effort. Other programs will.
They go to Memphis because Memphis has invested in their program and hires top up and coming coaches. Are you saying SDSU and the others don't require players to go to class? Seriously. Those days are over. They have majors like us that make it easy to get through . Since we have added those majors we haven't lost players to academics. Our biggest issues are the long term losing and the lack of facilities.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 am
You really think Tulane is the only school that requires them to go to class? also there are a lot of private schools that produce a lot of those 2-3 stars we recruit. Then there are more and more magnet H.S. that also produce those type of players. So yes there are a lot of players to be had that can hack it at Tulane.
You just changed your argument. Earlier in the thread you said it was a non-factor. Now you're saying other schools face it too. Admit it: Tulane doesn't go after a bunch of recruits each year because they have no interest in athletics. You almost come out and say it above. We have all agreed (and you argued with us) that Tulane doesn't go after athletes that have no interest in academics. First you said that those athletes are only the superstars recruited by top P5's. Now you're saying we have a deep enough pool of those interested in athletics to recruit. Sorry, win, but you changed your argument and are now arguing the other side of the coin.

And yes, I'm saying what many of us have known for decades. Many D1 schools don't require athletes to go to class. Don't believe me? See LSU and UNC for starters.

You're living in a river in Egypt.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:50 am
winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 am
You just changed your argument. Earlier in the thread you said it was a non-factor. Now you're saying other schools face it too. Admit it: Tulane doesn't go after a bunch of recruits each year because they have no interest in athletics. You almost come out and say it above. We have all agreed (and you argued with us) that Tulane doesn't go after athletes that have no interest in academics. First you said that those athletes are only the superstars recruited by top P5's. Now you're saying we have a deep enough pool of those interested in athletics to recruit. Sorry, win, but you changed your argument and are now arguing the other side of the coin.

And yes, I'm saying what many of us have known for decades. Many D1 schools don't require athletes to go to class. Don't believe me? See LSU and UNC for starters.

You're living in a river in Egypt.
I haven't changed anything. I've never said there aren't some athletes we don't go after due to academics. What I have said is it is easier than ever to get athletes in and keep them in. As to those we keep away from many are the quality of athlete we have no chance at anyway. As we have improved athletically we have improved recruiting. We need to win bigger and invest in facilities to continue to improve recruiting.

As to players going to class you are living ina river in Egypt if you think Tulane is the only one requiring athletes to go to class. There's this thing called the APR. Things have changed. Keep up with the times.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am I haven't changed anything. I've never said there aren't some athletes we don't go after due to academics. What I have said is it is easier than ever to get athletes in and keep them in. As to those we keep away from many are the quality of athlete we have no chance at anyway. As we have improved athletically we have improved recruiting. We need to win bigger and invest in facilities to continue to improve recruiting.

As to players going to class you are living ina river in Egypt if you think Tulane is the only one requiring athletes to go to class. There's this thing called the APR. Things have changed. Keep up with the times.
I've NEVER said Tulane is the only one that requires athletes to go to class. I said there are competitors, both at the P5 and G5 levels, that do not. I used recent headlines from UNC and LSU to make that point.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You are going to drown in that river. Players are going to class everywhere now. You've got the APR. Also in this day and age of social media do you really think there are schools that don't have their athletes go to class and it doesn't get outed? LOL.

I don't see any headlines that you posted.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm confused, win. Do you think there's no programs out there that accept kids and pass them along with minimal or no academic effort on behalf of the athlete? Yes or no question.

I think those programs exist, though maybe not as prevalent as in the past, they're still out there. You say I'm the one with my head in the sand because I answer no to the question above. What's your answer, yes or no?

This will be my last post in the back and forth, so, win you get the last word. But please give me a yes or no answer to the simple question. :cheers:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:32 pm I'm confused, win. Do you think there's no programs out there that accept kids and pass them along with minimal or no academic effort on behalf of the athlete? Yes or no question.

I think those programs exist, though maybe not as prevalent as in the past, they're still out there. You say I'm the one with my head in the sand because I answer no to the question above. What's your answer, yes or no?

This will be my last post in the back and forth, so, win you get the last word. But please give me a yes or no answer to the simple question. :cheers:
What you have been claiming is that there are schools where the athletes don't go to class at all. The answer to that is no.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:52 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:32 pm I'm confused, win. Do you think there's no programs out there that accept kids and pass them along with minimal or no academic effort on behalf of the athlete? Yes or no question.

What you have been claiming is that there are schools where the athletes don't go to class at all. The answer to that is no.
back in the day of my freshman year at SELA, three absences in a particular class/course and you "FEA'. .Failed Excessive Absences...aahhh the good ole days
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

I know first hand their are schools that are strict about players going to class and their others who do not. Going to class isn't the issue. Passing is. That's why a lot of these schools have invested heavy in the "academic performance centers", aka personal tutors. I can tell you is serious about players going to class and that is Nick Saban. When he was at LSU, a student asst was responsible for giving him the daily attendance. Les Miles not so much putting it kindly. I really don't care if a kid can pass or not. Let's get him on campus and if we only have him for a year it would be worth it. Plus, he might see the light and become a better student. Speaking to a friend of mine who is a head coach in high school, almost all university coaches ask about the kids grades, coachable and behavior.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
AugWave
Swell

*yawn*
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 pm I know first hand their are schools that are strict about players going to class and their others who do not. Going to class isn't the issue. Passing is. That's why a lot of these schools have invested heavy in the "academic performance centers", aka personal tutors. I can tell you is serious about players going to class and that is Nick Saban. When he was at LSU, a student asst was responsible for giving him the daily attendance. Les Miles not so much putting it kindly. I really don't care if a kid can pass or not. Let's get him on campus and if we only have him for a year it would be worth it. Plus, he might see the light and become a better student. Speaking to a friend of mine who is a head coach in high school, almost all university coaches ask about the kids grades, coachable and behavior.
Right. They ask about grades because in today's world with the APR they don't want to put their resources into developing a kid only to have him fail out after the first year or two.
WeWave2
Ripple

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:43 pm We have 3 New Orleans commits in year 5 of WF, after 3 straight bowl games. We always hear New Orleans is loaded with Wr’s and DBs and those are massive weaknesses on the roster. So what gives ?

It seems like in year 5 our local recruiters and they need to be let go, they’re not doing the job. Additionally our DB and WR coach should also be shown the door. What exactly is JJ Mklesky providing ?? Not coaching our secondary up, and not producing local recruits. It’s only the end of Dawson’s 1st year, but I haven’t seen much from the recruiting end from him either. We have had the same WR coach since WF got here . . . It’s been a massive problem these last few years and we bring in some of the worst WR talent in the conference. The worst WR’s on SMU would be the best on our roster.
You have to first establish the ability to win with the guys you have.

Records over last 7 seasons. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html
2020 6-6
2019 7-6
2018 7-6
2017 5-7
2016 4-8
2015 3-9
2014 3-9

Total 35-54

Its what makes a Memphis a more attractive football program.
TXWave88
Surge

Not to drag out if athletes go to class or not, but I am assuming that a lot of these bigger public schools have their athletes in several online classes, if not all online. I did not go to school during the online days, but it sounds like to me it would be easier to keep a kid in school if that is the case.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

P5 vs G5
Because of the branding kids would rather go to a bad P5 than a good G5.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

This entire dialogue highlights why schools like Tulane might actually benefit if the minor league football initiative actually takes hold. It will completely change which players are still left for a 100% amateur college football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave Fan
Low Tide

WeWave2 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:58 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:43 pm We have 3 New Orleans commits in year 5 of WF, after 3 straight bowl games. We always hear New Orleans is loaded with Wr’s and DBs and those are massive weaknesses on the roster. So what gives ?

It seems like in year 5 our local recruiters and they need to be let go, they’re not doing the job. Additionally our DB and WR coach should also be shown the door. What exactly is JJ Mklesky providing ?? Not coaching our secondary up, and not producing local recruits. It’s only the end of Dawson’s 1st year, but I haven’t seen much from the recruiting end from him either. We have had the same WR coach since WF got here . . . It’s been a massive problem these last few years and we bring in some of the worst WR talent in the conference. The worst WR’s on SMU would be the best on our roster.
You have to first establish the ability to win with the guys you have.

Records over last 7 seasons. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html
2020 6-6
2019 7-6
2018 7-6
2017 5-7
2016 4-8
2015 3-9
2014 3-9

Total 35-54

Its what makes a Memphis a more attractive football program.
2020 features two or three heart break games. Navy,SMU, and Tulsa. Bowl game had some missing players. 2020 could have been one of the best ever.
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:33 am This entire dialogue highlights why schools like Tulane might actually benefit if the minor league football initiative actually takes hold. It will completely change which players are still left for a 100% amateur college football.
It would also make college football a worse product
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not really. It would bring the four or so elite programs back some and put more excitement into college football.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm Not really. It would bring the four or so elite programs back some and put more excitement into college football.
I guess it depends on what this minor league would look like but having less good players would not make a better product. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are getting the best players regardless. That’s not helping anyone catch up with them
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm Not really. It would bring the four or so elite programs back some and put more excitement into college football.
I guess it depends on what this minor league would look like but having less good players would not make a better product. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are getting the best players regardless. That’s not helping anyone catch up with them
Those better players they would then be getting wouldn't be so clearly ahead of other players. As I said previously this would make coaching much more important.