2o21 Football recruiting

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Ruski
Swell

Didn't see a thread for this, if I missed it mods please merge.

This week it was reported Kolbe Fields is flipping from OK ST to Memphis. This makes 5 players in the LA top 35 going to Memphis St (according to 247). Tulane has 2 players in the top 50.....even LA Tech is woopin our ass in local recruiting.....what gives WF

Ruski
Swell

Looks like all these kids are picking Memphis because of WR coach John Simon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Simon_(running_back)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am Looks like all these kids are picking Memphis because of WR coach John Simon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Simon_(running_back)
at least it is not about the TV stations
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think it’s important to let the paint dry (see how the rest of the class shakes out) before getting too fired up. Our recruiting has made a huge jump and this year is finally beating up, with out last few commits being high profile guys with multiple P5 offers. Hopefully the momentum from last year will continue.

You would assume between Dawson and Mcclesky and our reasonable performances on the field that we would continue to see an uptick locally. It does look like Hall is helping in Mississippi. We do need to continue to kick the tar out of ULL (and by extension LA Tech) to distance ourselves as the #2 program in the state.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ty Keyes, a 4 star QB out of Taylorsville, MS, committed today. He had offers from high profile schools, including Auburn, Nebraska, Oregon, Ole Miss, Miss State, to name a few. Lots of hype, and it seems well deserved, over this recruit. Yes, he had great offers. He's also the highest rated recruit we've had in "the modern era" (I don't know when that started, I'm an old fart.) In the past week, we've signed the #5 and #11 ranked recruits in Mississippi, a RB from Fountainbleau they've been recruiting for 3 years and is the #28 recruit in the state of Louisiana. The FTW Podcast predicts more high rated recruits to come as we have plenty of spots left to fill and these recruits to help fill them. Credit Will Hall for invading Mississippi, his stomping grounds where his father is a legendary HS coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

With so much excitement after the Ty Keyes announcement, I did some digging on 247 to see who might be next. First of all the 2021 class for AAC is phenomenal! Could end up 3/4+ teams in the top 50. Good to see that WF is working to keep us competitive for that elusive conference championship.

Prospects:
- Brylan Lanier, 3 star (.8477), CB from AL, offers: Georgia State, USM, UAB, Jacksonville State
- Andrew Canelas, 3 star (.8477), OT from NC, offers: Dartmouth, ECU, Virginia, Yale, Duke, NC State, UNC, Virginia Tech, Army

Crystal Ball predictions:
- Xavier Franks, 3 star (.8399), WR from MS, offers: UCF, ULM, USM, Arkansas State
- De'Meric Strong, unranked, ILB from MS, interests (no offers): Memphis, Ole Miss, Miss State ***this one doesn't seem legit

Other:
- Keenan Landry, 3 star (.8498), DT from LA, offers: LSU, ULM, USA
- Caleb Spann, 3 star (.8366), CB from John Curtis, offers: Duke, USA, NM St, Nicholls

Anyone know anything else? Maybe some more local players?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ty Keyes doing work. This guy is only going to be a JR this year.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hope he is our Angelo this year !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:39 am With so much excitement after the Ty Keyes announcement, I did some digging on 247 to see who might be next. First of all the 2021 class for AAC is phenomenal! Could end up 3/4+ teams in the top 50. Good to see that WF is working to keep us competitive for that elusive conference championship.

Prospects:
- Brylan Lanier, 3 star (.8477), CB from AL, offers: Georgia State, USM, UAB, Jacksonville State
- Andrew Canelas, 3 star (.8477), OT from NC, offers: Dartmouth, ECU, Virginia, Yale, Duke, NC State, UNC, Virginia Tech, Army

Crystal Ball predictions:
- Xavier Franks, 3 star (.8399), WR from MS, offers: UCF, ULM, USM, Arkansas State
- De'Meric Strong, unranked, ILB from MS, interests (no offers): Memphis, Ole Miss, Miss State ***this one doesn't seem legit

Other:
- Keenan Landry, 3 star (.8498), DT from LA, offers: LSU, ULM, USA
- Caleb Spann, 3 star (.8366), CB from John Curtis, offers: Duke, USA, NM St, Nicholls

Anyone know anything else? Maybe some more local players?
I have no other knowledge of recruits, but if you listen to the FTW podcast about Ty Keyes, we're recruiting higher ranked Mississippi players. Thank you Will Hall! Most of the recruits mentioned in Ruski's post are a tier below the three we signed last week, and, I imagine the highly ranked Miss based recruits referred to in the podcast are similarly high three or low four star recruits. A 3 star recruit with a .83xx ranking will not raise our recruit rankings at all. The RB from Fontainbleau, Iverson Celestine was the lowest ranked commit (though still 3rd in the class thus far) last week. His rating is .8540, which is significantly above the current class average of .8378.

All that being said, we've had highly ranked recruits that fizzled and some under the radar types become superstars. As we know, your ranking means nothing when you take the field, it's all about making plays.
Ruski
Swell

Crystal ball on 247 has flipped BJ Ragland, OT from Chattanooga from UCF to Tulane. He's unranked on 247 and Rivals. Notable offers: UCF, Army, Navy, ECU, USM. Another couple dozen low level FBS + FCS offers.

Set to announce on Wednesday
https://247sports.com/player/bj-ragland-46102177/
gbgreenie
Surge

Ruski wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:42 am Crystal ball on 247 has flipped BJ Ragland, OT from Chattanooga from UCF to Tulane. He's unranked on 247 and Rivals. Notable offers: UCF, Army, Navy, ECU, USM. Another couple dozen low level FBS + FCS offers.

Set to announce on Wednesday
https://247sports.com/player/bj-ragland-46102177/
Ragland explained he has done a virtual visit with Southern Miss and "something similar" with Virginia Tech.

"I would say they were all the same, I really couldn’t rank them," Ragland said when asked to compare the virtual visits. "They were all amazing."

Ragland admitted he could make a decision before the end of the recruiting dead period, which the NCAA extended until the end of July due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but was hesitant to set any sort of timeline.

"[It] depends on how the NCAA downtime plays out," Ragland said.

There has been increased communication between Virginia Tech and Ragland as interest continues to increase, 247Sports' Evan G. Watkins reported last week. In addition to Southern Miss and Virginia Tech, Ragland has received interest from South Florida and East Carolina.

The 6-foot 3-inch, 285-pound prospect holds 24 verbal scholarship offers and has indicated in the past to Knights247 that UCF is one of his "top offers and choices."

While he is not yet ranked by 247Sports.com or holds an industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranking, Ragland is considered one of the best prospects in the Chattanooga area, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press. The Red Bank offensive lineman ranks as the No. 8 prospect in the local area, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Ragland has stayed busy during the coronavirus pandemic working out at home, he told the Chattanooga Times Free Press. Ragland can press over 300 pounds and holds a 3.3 GPA in the classroom.
gbgreenie
Surge

Top Forty Player in Tennessee, Virginia Tech came in late on him still chose us.
BJ
Ragland
Red Bank High School
ChattanoogaTN
6'3"275 lbsJunior

Nat. Rank: 1936
TN Rank: 40
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbKTyLBWoAE ... name=small
Last edited by gbgreenie on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbgreenie
Surge

Top Forty Player in Tennessee, Virginia Tech came in late on him still chose us.
BJ
Ragland
Red Bank High School
ChattanoogaTN
6'3"275 lbsJunior

51 Bj Ragland T, G, C Fr. 6-2 260- versatile played all three line positions as a freshman.
6’2ft 285 lbs 6’6ft wing span 9 inch hand.
3.23 core GPA
Possibly early graduate (Early Enrollee)
Ruski
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:09 am Top Forty Player in Tennessee, Virginia Tech came in late on him still chose us.
BJ
Ragland
Red Bank High School
ChattanoogaTN
6'3"275 lbsJunior

51 Bj Ragland T, G, C Fr. 6-2 260- versatile played all three line positions as a freshman.
6’2ft 285 lbs 6’6ft wing span 9 inch hand.
3.23 core GPA
Possibly early graduate (Early Enrollee)
Thanks for all the info gb!

So if you take top 40 TN at its face...Ragland rates somewhere around fellow Tulane commit Roderic Lewis, ranked TN 44 on 247: 3 star (.8165). So he would rank in the bottom 3/4 of our recruits.
Ruski
Swell

With the addition of Hutson Lillibridge, the 2021 class jumped up to#5 in the AAC and #64 overall. Our avg rating of 83.39 is #8 in the conference.
Ruski
Swell

Houston based QB Maddox Kopp named Tulane to his top 5 along with Colorado, Ole Miss, Houston, and Wyoming. He's rated .8638 on 247, that'd be good for our 3rd best recruit.

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/recr ... mong-top-5
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 pm Houston based QB Maddox Kopp named Tulane to his top 5 along with Colorado, Ole Miss, Houston, and Wyoming. He's rated .8638 on 247, that'd be good for our 3rd best recruit.

If he and Keyes both come, along with Ibieta and Pratt with a year in the program, we'd be damned well stocked at QB. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of them move to another position.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 am
Ruski wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 pm Houston based QB Maddox Kopp named Tulane to his top 5 along with Colorado, Ole Miss, Houston, and Wyoming. He's rated .8638 on 247, that'd be good for our 3rd best recruit.

If he and Keyes both come, along with Ibieta and Pratt with a year in the program, we'd be damned well stocked at QB. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of them move to another position.
One of those guys would end up transferring eventually instead of changing positions.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

With 17 commits we are filling up fast, I wonder if we start to see us moving on from some of our lower rated guys.
gbgreenie
Surge

greenie78 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:05 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 am

One of those guys would end up transferring eventually instead of changing positions.
You are also forgetting about Billy Wiles from Virginia, his scholoship could get pulled he is a low 3 star. https://247sports.com/player/billy-wiles-46084433/
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

247 crystal ball has him going to houston or ole miss according to insider info. Those picks wouldnt surprise me. Seems hard to believe we would get another highly rated QB with keyes heading this way ( hopefully).
Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 pm 247 crystal ball has him going to houston or ole miss according to insider info. Those picks wouldnt surprise me. Seems hard to believe we would get another highly rated QB with keyes heading this way ( hopefully).
He's announcing Sep 1st. Talks about UH, Colorado, and Ole Miss. Doesn't mention Tulane or Wyoming. But....Keyes was out of nowhere so who knows. Seems like a bright kid, hope he makes the right choice. I have a feeling he'll head to Colorado.

[tweet][/tweet]
Ruski
Swell

Maddox Kopp set to announce his commitment tomorrow. His crystal balls on 247 went from 50/50 UH & Ole Miss to 100% UH. Even if he didn't sign with us I'll be glad to see him stay in the conference.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Keyes had a monster game in his teams first game of the season. I really don’t see us being able to hold onto him
oliveandblue
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 am Keyes had a monster game in his teams first game of the season. I really don’t see us being able to hold onto him
Chin up. Even if we lose him, we are no longer in a position where we have nothing else. Ibieta and Pratt are worth a serious look