Justin Campbell denied Admission

Talk about the latest recruits here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10142
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am
tpstulane wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm
Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Sounds like the Dean of Admissions has the courage of a rabbit. Dean of Admissions = Federal Drug Administration inspector = it's always safer to say "no" --rarely can the consequences of a "no", or the collateral damage from a "no", be measured. Say "no", and stay safe.
how does the Hollywood thing come into pay...here is a student /athlete that has been drafted by the Pro's and this dumb azz Dean implied his selection was a scam, so he could enter Tulane?...Somebody needs to be fired, and you can start at the top...let's ee , Tulane will admit murders, but not a kid with a 19 on a test score....what a bunch of BS
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2926
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:04 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am
HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am
tpstulane wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm
Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Sounds like the Dean of Admissions has the courage of a rabbit. Dean of Admissions = Federal Drug Administration inspector = it's always safer to say "no" --rarely can the consequences of a "no", or the collateral damage from a "no", be measured. Say "no", and stay safe.
how does teh Hollywood thing come into pay...here is a student /athlete that has been drafted by the Pro's and tis dumb azz Dean implied his selection was a scam so he could enter Tulane?...Somebody needs to be fired, and you can start at the top...let's ee , Tulane will admit murders, but not a kid with a 19 on a test score....what a bunch of BS
Somebody, Dannen or somebody else in the Athletic Dept (TJ won't be around long enough to do it), should track what happens to Justin over the next several years. Only when we can demonstrate the outcome of these kind of follies, can we hope to change the process.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9514
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm

We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

Besides, it's football season. Move on.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2926
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm
We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

Besides, it's football season. Move on.
But next time Dannen is passing the hat for donations, he may need to answer questions about how this can be avoided in the future. What we do know is that Justin Campbell met NCAA minimums--why didn't that get him in?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9514
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:24 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm
We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

Besides, it's football season. Move on.
But next time Dannen is passing the hat for donations, he may need to answer questions about how this can be avoided in the future. What we do know is that Justin Campbell met NCAA minimums--why didn't that get him in?
And a significant donor should ask the question privately and might get an answer that's more generic than specific to this student. I don't give enough to Tulane to ask. And the Administration would never answer in public, it's too sensitive an issue.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Sometimes Tulane admin makes me fill like i'm one of only 2 people who want to win. If Jewett didn't think he would've got admitted, he would not have wasted 2 years of his life recruiting him. Lets not act like Jewett was out recruiting the penitentiary league and found this kid, This kid was everything Jewett wanted and someone who is supposed to be on his own side screwed him over. It sounds like we lost our top hitting coach to LSU because of it according to people on this board.

What happened here this time should never happen again if they meet the requirement scores. They don't have all the paperwork filled out, fine, troy dannen should have someone on staff to fill it out for him and ensure he is in. We are trying to win.

Play athletics and you meet the requirements and the coach wants you, you are in...period. To act like this dean did a good job is bs.....he screwed us. This kid alone was worth multiple wins on the mound. Everyone wants Tulane baseball to be good....well here is a big reason why we are not and its easily preventable.

Dannen either has no voice and is powerless, or he didn't even try. Both are not good. We ave very few people who want to win in baseball in the admin, and they are probably only in the dugout.....everyone else doesn't have their back or does bare minimum to help. frustrating.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9514
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm
Sometimes Tulane admin makes me fill like i'm one of only 2 people who want to win. If Jewett didn't think he would've got admitted, he would not have wasted 2 years of his life recruiting him. Lets not act like Jewett was out recruiting the penitentiary league and found this kid, This kid was everything Jewett wanted and someone who is supposed to be on his own side screwed him over. It sounds like we lost our top hitting coach to LSU because of it according to people on this board.

What happened here this time should never happen again if they meet the requirement scores. They don't have all the paperwork filled out, fine, troy dannen should have someone on staff to fill it out for him and ensure he is in. We are trying to win.

Play athletics and you meet the requirements and the coach wants you, you are in...period. To act like this dean did a good job is bs.....he screwed us. This kid alone was worth multiple wins on the mound. Everyone wants Tulane baseball to be good....well here is a big reason why we are not and its easily preventable.

Dannen either has no voice and is powerless, or he didn't even try. Both are not good. We ave very few people who want to win in baseball in the admin, and they are probably only in the dugout.....everyone else doesn't have their back or does bare minimum to help. frustrating.
What do you know about this kid's academics that the rest of us don't know? Seriously, we have NO IDEA why he didn't get in.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
austxwave
Low Tide
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 pm

You guys all need to let this go. Bitching and moaning about a subject none of us know anything about doesn't accomplish anything. Let's put our focus on the student/athletes that are enrolled at Tulane and not the ones who aren't.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 pm

austxwave wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 pm
You guys all need to let this go. Bitching and moaning about a subject none of us know anything about doesn't accomplish anything. Let's put our focus on the student/athletes that are enrolled at Tulane and not the ones who aren't.
It’s a message board, we’re supposed to be bitching and moaning about things we don’t know about
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Let’s put this in simple terms. We are still not on equal terms with a Big 12 school otherwise Campbell would be at his school of choice Tulane. To compete at the highest level this can’t happen. Why is he not allowed in at Tulane but he’s fine at Ok St?
So if we are admitting student athletes at the NCAA with minimum test scores we must be requiring something other than OSU for admission. Until that part is fixed we still can’t say we’re on an even playing field with other D1’s. Happy to see TD going to bat for this kid with admissions but we still need a better outcome.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 pm

[/quote]

What do you know about this kid's academics that the rest of us don't know? Seriously, we have NO IDEA why he didn't get in.
[/quote]

Serious question, just trying to understand.....not trying to be upfront. Why do you think we suck at every single sport and have zero sustained success in anything? Do you honestly think it’s because we always hire the wrong coaches in all sports, all 100 of them in last 50 years?
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 pm

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 pm
What do you know about this kid's academics that the rest of us don't know? Seriously, we have NO IDEA why he didn't get in.
[/quote]

Serious question, just trying to understand.....not trying to be upfront. Why do you think we suck at every single sport and have zero sustained success in anything? Do you honestly think it’s because we always hire the wrong coaches in all sports, all 100 of them in last 50 years?
[/quote]

To be fair, Tulane can’t pound it’s chest and claim superiority over similar schools but then take a reckless approach to both admitting student athletes and keeping them eligible. Beyond the obvious moral implications, a scandal of any form would hurt Tulane’s reputation significantly more than it would hurt the reputation of a random good (but not elite) state school, especially since Tulane relies on recruiting nationally so students and their parents that have never been near Louisiana have to continue to have a positive opinion of the university for Tulane to continue on its current path.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5769
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Comparing Campbell’s situation with the admissions scandals out west is just wacky.
I think it is clear, Fball and Bball has min NCAA standards, all other sports, not so much. Not hard to decipher.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19714
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:23 am

Nice outing for the big Freshman
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15900
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:57 pm

I wish we had got him and seen what Latham could do with him. I'm sorry he didn't get to play for the team of his choice and wish him all the best. Currently he is 1-2 with a 4.43 ERA. That's been racked up against Grand Canyon, UT Rio Grande, Illinois and BYU. So he might not even be in our weekend rotation at this point.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19714
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:33 pm

winwave wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:57 pm
I wish we had got him and seen what Latham could do with him. I'm sorry he didn't get to play for the team of his choice and wish him all the best. Currently he is 1-2 with a 4.43 ERA. That's been racked up against Grand Canyon, UT Rio Grande, Illinois and BYU. So he might not even be in our weekend rotation at this point.
Well he’d be playing somewhere. He leads the team in hitting at .391 (9 for 23) Slugging at .565 1 Hr.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15900
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 pm

My response was to your original post before it was edited that said how good we'd be with him and Olthoff as our weekend starting pitchers. As to the rest like I said I wish we would have got him.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 pm

With limited scholarship money to go around and assuming Campbell was admitted, who would we not have? I have no idea if this even came into play. Did we pick up anyone after losing Campbell?
Post Reply