Justin Campbell denied Admission

Talk about the latest recruits here.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm Let's all take a step back here, unless there's something more that I'm not seeing. When you apply for admission to school, you're told yes or no. BUT (BIG BUT HERE), if I remember correctly doesn't that approval come BEFORE the student has actually finished all his classes? So is it POSSIBLE that he was told he would be accepted with his ACT and classes based on his transcript at the time, but when the final one came in (after HS graduation) it turned out there was some class he failed or didn't take or whatever. Don't the student and parents ALSO have some accountability to make sure the kid has the right qualifications OTHER than just the ACT score?
Nope. Possible this entire thing goes public because the parents are upset. Before you even recruit a kid at Tulane you get test scores and grades. Then if that passes the muster you go to the next stage.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 pm All I will say is, I have it from very good sources that Campbell's transcripts didn't even arrive at Tulane until the very end of June. There is a deadline on when that transcript needed to be received.
So did he get the boot because the transcripts were late? or because of what was on the transcripts?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:51 pm Awful. So perhaps the Tulane Model isn’t completely dead. I suspect this disaster could be the result of another admissions issue this year. I’ve been told that far more students accepted Tulane’s admission offers this year than ever before (our “yield” spiked up unexpectedly). There will be significantly more freshmen starting this fall than was planned. I wonder if this unforeseen development caused them to move the bar higher for those on the bubble? That’s no excuse for dumping on a star athlete in any sport—but that’s the way Tulane functions at times. Didn’t we have to rescind admissions to several “regular” students a couple years ago? Sounds like problems in the Admissions Office, that have now spilled into the Athletic Dept. Fitts need to personally dig into this one.
Exactly!!!
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 pm All I will say is, I have it from very good sources that Campbell's transcripts didn't even arrive at Tulane until the very end of June. There is a deadline on when that transcript needed to be received.
So did Justin get the boot because the transcripts were late? or because of what was on the transcripts?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:01 pm
So did he get the boot because the transcripts were late? or because of what was on the transcripts?
Don’t know about the timing of transcripts but Eddie Smith who was still here handled them. The problem is at some point Tulane officials told him he was qualified but the Dean of Admissions has the final say and denied him. So that’s that. It’s very likely to play out in court and Tulane is a sure loser win or lose. This just can’t happen to your top recruit.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Don’t know about the timing of transcripts but Eddie Smith who was still here handled them. The problem is at some point Tulane officials told him he was qualified but the Dean of Admissions has the final say and denied him. So that’s that. It’s very likely to play out in court and Tulane is a sure loser win or lose. This just can’t happen to your top recruit.
So it comes down to who told him he was qualified, and did they do so without proper authority and/or approvals. But no matter, it looks bad for Tulane--like a keystones kop routine.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

If it does go to court we will then know exactly what happened, all of it will be public record.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 pm
So it comes down to who told him he was qualified, and did they do so without proper authority and/or approvals.
Coaches are told student athletes have to have a certain criteria to get admitted. I’m sure they told the student he met those requirements needed for admission. Apparently in this case admissions had a different criteria than athletics.
I don’t know the admissions side of this. I only know the athletic side.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:14 pm
If it does go to court we will then know exactly what happened, all of it will be public record.
Absolutely. Would hope to see further investigation by the media.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Does this have anything to do with Coach Smith leaving Tulane?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:20 pm Does this have anything to do with Coach Smith leaving Tulane?
Hmmmmm
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This just makes it harder to hire and keep quality coaches and recruit top players. The word on the street in the baseball community is exactly what Acy has stated in his tweet.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I am so confused. Did Campbell score a 19 on the ACT? Did he have the required HS course load? These are easy questions that should be answered.
NotJtS
Low Tide

Rumor Mill

1, Micah Owings interviewed for a position but turned Tulane down after learning of this garbage.
2. Daniel Latham is pissed and looking to leave.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NotJtS wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:46 pm Rumor Mill

1, Micah Owings interviewed for a position but turned Tulane down after learning of this garbage.
2. Daniel Latham is pissed and looking to leave.
Uconn FBall = Tulane baseball
Show Me
Tsunami

The Tulane Model alive and well. We only get lip service as to trying to win in athletics. Truth be told once again how Tulane places unfair disadvantages on our coaches to compete for national titles and success. Why should I continue to donate my time and money when the school fails to support the program?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A quote
"I believe the wise thing for Tulane to do is to pursue its present course of doing everything possible to make the Athletic programs competitive and economically successful. I see no reason why we cannot build a successful athletic department which Tulanians will be proud, and which will be financially more adventageous to the University".......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am A quote
"I believe the wise thing for Tulane to do is to pursue its present course of doing everything possible to make the Athletic programs competitive and economically successful. I see no reason why we cannot build a successful athletic department which Tulanians will be proud, and which will be financially more adventageous to the University".......
There’s your “lip service”.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 am
the quotee Dr Sheldon Hackney...from page 268 of the book entitled "The Green Wave"...I think 'TPS", may have it committed to memory
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Why is Tulane telling coaches and fans it now accepts NCAA minimum requirements when we don’t?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 am
Show Me wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 am
the quotee Dr Sheldon Hackney...from page 268 of the book entitled "The Green Wave"...I think 'TPS", may have it committed to memory
Basically why we won both on and off the field under Hackney’s leadership. Tulane was a top 35 school academically and athletically back then.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe its time we act like alums and fans of other schools do and start burning up the phone lines to the Dean of Admissions office, and start putting pressure on Fitts to step up and remove this guy from his position.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

I said it a while back and it bears repeating. Tulane is no longer interested in fielding an elite baseball program. With or without Campbell the team is still hot garbage. His case is just a symptom.
sader24
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:10 pm Tulane is Tulane's worst enemy.
Sadly that’s been the case for 70 years running.
Wave755
Tsunami

Even though Campbell's composite score was 19, perhaps in either English or Math his score was very low? We need to know everything from A to Z for what happened but federal confidentiality laws in favor of applicants/students restraining Tulane from disclosure may prevent us from doing so unless a suit is filed by Campbell or he waives this privilege which is personal to him.