Justin Campbell denied Admission

Talk about the latest recruits here.
sader24
Tsunami

I know in the past coaches had to basically walk their exceptions through the process staying personally involved from start to finish to make sure the guy gets through. I was under the impression this had ceased, but is it possible Jewett didn’t stay on top of this all the way through and the admission fell through the cracks. I’m in no way defending having to do this as a Coach, but if that’s the job you’ve accepted and you dropped the ball you bear some of the blame as well. A coach should have it in writing from whomever is making this decision that a kid he is recruiting is going to get in if the transcripts remain the same. This sounds like a multi-faceted screw up. For instance, I can’t imagine Fritz having this happen to him. If Jewett did what he was supposed to do and they screwed him and the kid like this he should and may be looking for another job as we speak.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's a lot of speculation on the YOGWF board that the kid had a 19 on his ACT. He was, according to some of the posters, told to re-take the ACT and if needed take a class that teaches specific to the test. Yet he couldn't get a better score. I'm not saying this is the true story, just saying some of what's posted there. Either way, we seemed to have once again shot ourselves in the foot on our best recruit.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm There's a lot of speculation on the YOGWF board that the kid had a 19 on his ACT. He was, according to some of the posters, told to re-take the ACT and if needed take a class that teaches specific to the test. Yet he couldn't get a better score. I'm not saying this is the true story, just saying some of what's posted there. Either way, we seemed to have once again shot ourselves in the foot on our best recruit.
Nobody said that he was told to re-take. Someone on the other board said “My guess is they told him to take it again, he did and he didn't improve so they had to deny him”
Keyword being guess.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm There's a lot of speculation on the YOGWF board that the kid had a 19 on his ACT. He was, according to some of the posters, told to re-take the ACT and if needed take a class that teaches specific to the test. Yet he couldn't get a better score. I'm not saying this is the true story, just saying some of what's posted there. Either way, we seemed to have once again shot ourselves in the foot on our best recruit.
Nobody said that he was told to re-take. Someone on the other board said “My guess is they told him to take it again, he did and he didn't improve so they had to deny him”
Keyword being guess.
The keyword in my post was "speculation". Doesn't that kind of mean the same thing as "guess"?

Either way this makes us look bad. If he can get into OSU, he should be able to get into Tulane based upon the talk the Athletics Dept has been feeding us the past few years about recruiting and academic standards.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We know that in football and basketball we are getting players in at the NCAA minimums. Maybe in the non-revenue sports where players are on partials the rules are different. Doesn't make sense as they are still on an athletic scholarship but it's just a thought. (Jonathan Wilson has been brought up but his issue wasn't his score it was a core course he needed. A coach at Memphis found a way for him to get it over the summer. )
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
glennc
Low Tide

Goddamitt, their should be no exceptions. If you meet NCAA standards you should be eligible. I know some of you believe in Tulane's admission standards. If you do you are not true Tulane supporters
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Where has anybody on THIS SITE said they like the admission standards with regards to athletics? I missed it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

This is so SAD. Where is Troy Dannen? This was a 5 star recruit. Imagine if we got a 5 star recruit in basketball. Only one that cares about basketball in Louisiana and Mississippi more than baseball is troy, and i guarantee you troy would've gotten him in if he played another sport.

This isn't first time this has happened. Happend numerous times to the baseball program in last few years. Its just magnified because this player was the difference maker our program needed and the two way we've been looking for....and then this happened. This is pretty much uncharted territory that just happened to the baseball program.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm This is so SAD. Where is Troy Dannen? This was a 5 star recruit. Imagine if we got a 5 star recruit in basketball. Only one that cares about basketball in Louisiana and Mississippi as much as baseball is troy, and i guarantee you troy would've gotten him in if he played another sport.

This isn't first time this has happened. Happend numerous times to the baseball program in last few years. Its just magnified because this player was the difference maker our program needed and the two way we've been looking for....and then this happened. This is pretty much uncharted territory that just happened to the baseball program.
Good point. Paying fans need an explanation from Troy. Be better than finding out through a lawsuit. Surprised the media didn’t pick up on this story.
glennc
Low Tide

It's Tulane. You know the local media don't care about us
Show Me
Tsunami

The admission person is not doing his job. I’d imagine this kid would make it through school as do all baseball players. He becomes a high draft choice and makes it to the show at some point. He’d be a great alum who could potentially become a big donor. Instead he’ll be giving to Oklahoma St for years instead of Tulane Athletics.
greenie78
Riptide

glennc wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am It's Tulane. You know the local media don't care about us
Actually it’s baseball which is I find this annoying since it’s football season.
MicMan
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 am The admission person is not doing his job. I’d imagine this kid would make it through school as do all baseball players. He becomes a high draft choice and makes it to the show at some point. He’d be a great alum who could potentially become a big donor. Instead he’ll be giving to Oklahoma St for years instead of Tulane Athletics.
From high schooler with sub-par college boards to wealthy MLB donor in two sentences. Cool move, bro.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 am The admission person is not doing his job. I’d imagine this kid would make it through school as do all baseball players. He becomes a high draft choice and makes it to the show at some point. He’d be a great alum who could potentially become a big donor. Instead he’ll be giving to Oklahoma St for years instead of Tulane Athletics.
And Tulane wonders why it struggles so much to grow its endowment. I think this whole Justin Campbell saga has been rather audacious.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
glennc
Low Tide

So the admission person isn't doing his job. This is what i am complaining about. Stop blaming people instead of putting the blame where it belongs. Tulane is to blame, plain and simple.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
That makes sense.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
Truth
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don’t understand the idea that if it was a lesser player it would not be noticed?
Tu has aspirations to go to the B12. A B12 school just accepted our best recruit. You do the math. Baseball does matter to the B12, we just shot ourself in the foot.
TU baseball is on life support. 2 ncaa’s in a decade. Using so much space on campus. Unless there is change, good luck.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 am
I don’t understand the idea that if it was a lesser player it would not be noticed?
Tu has aspirations to go to the B12. A B12 school just accepted our best recruit. You do the math. Baseball does matter to the B12, we just shot ourself in the foot.
TU baseball is on life support. 2 ncaa’s in a decade. Using so much space on campus. Unless there is change, good luck.
By “notice” I mean Campbell was our best recruit a two way player who turned down big money to come here. Had we lost anyone else in this class it wouldn’t have potentially been noticed as such a big deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Baseball means very little when you're talking about getting an invite to the B12 or any other "P" conference. Baseball TV ratings are dwarfed (literally a TINY fraction) by other sports, and add next to nothing to the equation. Tulane already over-emphasizes baseball, and doesn't get the results that we should. With the 11.7 scholarship limit we're playing from behind based on our RIDICULOUS $75k cost of attending.

We should either be all in for D1 baseball or get out.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 am Baseball means very little when you're talking about getting an invite to the B12 or any other "P" conference. Baseball TV ratings are dwarfed (literally a TINY fraction) by other sports, and add next to nothing to the equation. Tulane already over-emphasizes baseball, and doesn't get the results that we should. With the 11.7 scholarship limit we're playing from behind based on our RIDICULOUS $75k cost of attending.

We should either be all in for D1 baseball or get out.
Yeah but the issue in this specific situation is probably much larger than would ever be made public as there are frequently small discrepancies in admissions, and, further, Oklahoma State could weather a potential admissions scandal in a way that Tulane could not due to the differences in reputation of the institutions (and Tulane's relatively recent MBA statistics scandal).
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Sounds like the Dean of Admissions has the courage of a rabbit. Dean of Admissions = Federal Drug Administration inspector = it's always safer to say "no" --rarely can the consequences of a "no", or the collateral damage from a "no", be measured. Say "no", and stay safe.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana