Tulane's Grad Transfer Football Pipeline

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Wave755
Tsunami

Nice article about Wille Fritz and his ability to attract so many quality grad transfers.https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 6cd3b.html This did not happen under "Buffet" Bob Toledo or CJ. (the rule change to allow graduate transfers was enacted in 2006 https://digitalcommons.law.villanova.ed ... ntext=mslj).

So great to see Tulane football reaching for the potential all of us knew exited "since forever" and long before either Eamon Kelly or Scott Cowen ever set foot on our campus..

wave97
Swell

The last President who understood the value of great performance in athletics was who? And what does he have in common with our current President?
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:07 pm The last President who understood the value of great performance in athletics was who? And what does he have in common with our current President?
Answer: The guy whose name is on my law school diploma - Francis Sheldon Hackney, born in Birmingham, Alabama.

Too soon to tell about Michael Fitts, born in Philadelphia, a real sports town, but things look very good so far. 🀞 :D
wave97
Swell

Sheldon Hackney went from Tulane to the University of Pennsylvania. He increased Penn's endowment from $160 million to over a billion.
Let's all hope that President Fitts got the message from his days at Penn. Success at high profile athletics is a very useful method of uniting a national/global alumni base. Dr Hackney was no dummy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 pm Sheldon Hackney went from Tulane to the University of Pennsylvania. He increased Penn's endowment from $160 million to over a billion.
Let's all hope that President Fitts got the message from his days at Penn. Success at high profile athletics is a very useful method of uniting a national/global alumni base. Dr Hackney was no dummy.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but I thought it was Sheldon Hackney that took Tulane out of the SEC and had a movement to de=emphasize athletics.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
posse
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:09 pm
wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 pm Sheldon Hackney went from Tulane to the University of Pennsylvania. He increased Penn's endowment from $160 million to over a bi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: llion.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but I thought it was Sheldon Hackney that took Tulane out of the SEC and had a movement to de=emphasize
Last edited by posse on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wave97
Swell

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 pm Sheldon Hackney went from Tulane to the University of Pennsylvania. He increased Penn's endowment from $160 million to over a billion.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but I thought it was Sheldon Hackney that took Tulane out of the SEC and had a movement to de=emphasize athletics.
Yes, you"re right. He also killed Jimmy Hoffa.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 pm Yes, you"re right. He also killed Jimmy Hoffa.
Who was buried in the concrete at the corner of the first Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands of NJ. Thus gave true meaning to a punt to the "coffin corner".
Wave755
Tsunami

πŸ€”D, your β€œmemory” is quite flawed indeed. F. Sheldon Hackney was our president from 1975 to 1980. President Herbert Longenecker and A. D. Rix Yard withdrew Tulane from the SEC in 1966. In 1976 Sheldon Hackney hired Larry Smith as our head coach. For Hackney’s last year as president, 1979-80, we beat LSU on national television 24-13 before a sold-out SuperDome, I was there and will never forget it. :D
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm
wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 pm Yes, you"re right. He also killed Jimmy Hoffa.
Who was buried in the concrete at the corner of the first Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands of NJ. Thus gave true meaning to a punt to the "coffin corner".
Happy horse sh"t aside, in what way was Sheldon Hackney responsible for leaving the SEC in 1966?
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:34 pm
DfromCT wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm
Happy horse sh"t aside, in what way was Sheldon Hackney responsible for leaving the SEC in 1966?
And, de-emphasized athletics? Hackney loved Tulane athletics? :confused:
wave97
Swell

Prior to his arrival at Penn the Quakers had won one Ivy League championship. After he arrived, Penn went on to win 17 titles with most of them under staffs hired by him.. Penn now leads the Ivy League in football championships.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I remember my dad telling me Sheldon Hackney was the greatest Tulane President for Athletics up to that time. He said he would have never left the SEC. I was fortunate he was my president for 3 of the 4 years while I was at Tulane. He was extremely pro-Athletic so much so some of the faculty resented it. Tulane FB had back to back bowl games for the first time in history because of his actions. And that’s when there were much fewer bowl games and they were hard to get. Not like today with 6 wins. Back then you needed 8-9 wins with less games on the schedule. Still today no one compares in my opinion.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 pm
Yes, you"re right. He also killed Jimmy Hoffa.
I WAS WRONG.

Sheldon Hackney wasn't President of Tulane until well after we left the SEC. BFD, I was wrong. THIRD time this week I've posted that I was wrong.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Solution :

Get Off Computer ie, stop posting
Get A Life ie stop posting
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

And, getting back to my thread, I see no reason why Willie Fritz will not reel-in even more graduate transfers for as long as he is our coach. We may well become the "graduate transfer program of the South." And, I agree with the article writer, Guerry Smith, the graduate transfers may well put us "over the top" for being contenders for the AAC championship. I cant wait to see these guys - McMillan. Montano, McCleskey, Knutson, Hinton & Lawal - tee it up against the CUSA FIU Panthers on 8/29. :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know this is about grad transfers but the JC we picked up helps too. We were very thin at LB and Harris was a big loss. The JC and the grad transfer just helped to shore up that weak spot. If the OL steps up we'll be rolling.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 pm I know this is about grad transfers but the JC we picked up helps too. We were very thin at LB and Harris was a big loss. The JC and the grad transfer just helped to shore up that weak spot. If the OL steps up we'll be rolling.
Lawson & the JC (Anderson ?) are very underrated moves to shore up LB
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 pm I know this is about grad transfers but the JC we picked up helps too. We were very thin at LB and Harris was a big loss. The JC and the grad transfer just helped to shore up that weak spot. If the OL steps up we'll be rolling.
And, isn't it nice that we can have JUCOs like everyone else? I remember how the refusal of Eamon Kelly to allow JUCOs, part of his at that time "Tulane Model," became such a bitter point of contention between him and then coach Mack Brown.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:28 pm
And, isn't it nice that we can have JUCOs like everyone else? I remember how the refusal of Eamon Kelly to allow JUCOs, part of his at that time "Tulane Model," became such a bitter point of contention between him and then coach Mack Brown.
Wally English brought in a few JUCO's.... that may have been the reason Kelly not wanting anymore transfers...as i understand, the transistion was not smooth
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:13 pm
Wave755 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:28 pm
Wally English brought in a few JUCO's.... that may have been the reason Kelly not wanting anymore transfers...as i understand, the transistion was not smooth
True, English was a slime ball, but to say the least, the "Tulane Model" was an extreme over-reaction and then zealously administered by Kelly.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Kelly failed Tulane almost as bad as Cowen. It's a wonder that we still have an athletic program after their back-to-back administrations. Hackney was everything that Kelly and Cowen never were.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: ↑Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 pm Kelly failed Tulane almost as bad as Cowen. It's a wonder that we still have an athletic program after their back-to-back administrations. Hackney was everything that Kelly and Cowen never were.
+1, Kelly was president from 1980 to 1998, 17.5 years + Cowen was president from 1998 to 2014, 16 years = 33.5 years. What's truly amazing is we somehow went 7-4 in 1997 & 12-0 in 1998? So, when you think about it, maybe Tulane truly is the "sleeping giant" Dannen argues for Div. 1 athletics?