2020 football recruiting

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Ruski
Swell

I know it's still very much early in the game but I was wondering if this might end up being a historic draft class. In my short decade as a fan, the highest rated classes have been 2012 (83) and 2018 (70), would be incredible to see WF pull off a top 50/60 draft class one day......that'd be low p5 level!

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If we can hold on to even half the SEC kids, this would be a great class for us. Welcome Reggie ! Roll Wave !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 pm I know it's still very much early in the game but I was wondering if this might end up being a historic draft class. In my short decade as a fan, the highest rated classes have been 2012 (83) and 2018 (70), would be incredible to see WF pull off a top 50/60 draft class one day......that'd be low p5 level!
Ratings can be deceptive as some can count volume over quality. All I know is WF seems to be signing players with really great offers elsewhere and that is my gauge. It feels like things are going better than I have ever seen in my 10 years as a TU fan.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 am
Ruski wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 pm I know it's still very much early in the game but I was wondering if this might end up being a historic draft class. In my short decade as a fan, the highest rated classes have been 2012 (83) and 2018 (70), would be incredible to see WF pull off a top 50/60 draft class one day......that'd be low p5 level!
Ratings can be deceptive as some can count volume over quality. All I know is WF seems to be signing players with really great offers elsewhere and that is my gauge. It feels like things are going better than I have ever seen in my 10 years as a TU fan.
Let’s hope they all sign but only commitments at this point. Nobody for 2020 has “signed” yet.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

+1,000. The ratings are a joke, and P5 biased. While we are a long way from signing day, this class is shaping up to be historic. It's becoming "faddish" for 3*+ football players to look favorably on Tulane (especially many local players). One can only imagine what might happen if we have a very successful 2019 season and win back-to-back bowl games. Slowly we are climbing out of the Cowen ditch.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Reggie...Reggie...Reggie...metro Dallas TE commit....I think his dad played at Texas A&M

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Reggi ... Interests/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome aboard!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Note: I use 247 composite for all the numbers, rankings and stars.

YEAR NATL RK AVG
2020-67-.8400
2019-95-.8172
2018-69-.8265
2017-112-.7855
2016-97-.7956 (Fritz' first class, w/o time to fully recruit)
2015-91-.8002 (CJ's last class)

Highest class other than Fritz' three most recent classes was an .8008,

Keep in mind that these numbers are fractions. A class that averages .8265 is quite a bit better than one that averages .8165. .7998 is lowest end 3 star rating, .8950 is the low end 4 star. At .8400 we're now basically getting all 3 stars, which wasn't the case in the past.

Here's the breakdown on # of 3 star commits.

2020 - 9 of 9 so far, and Angelo Anderson is just under a 4 star. (doesn't include the twins for some reason)
2019 - 15 of 19
2018 - 20 of 25
2017 - 4 of 26
2016 - 9 of 22 (Fritz' first season)

2015 - 8 of 19
2014 - 8 of 20
2013- 9 of 23
2012 - 8 of 16

So, its not a mirage. Recruiting is definitely on the uptick. The past three seasons we've been at 80% or more 3-stars, with the current class being 100%. Prior to that, no class was higher than 50%, and some as low as 17%.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

% of recruits with p5 (or Sec) offers would an interestin stat. And probably a pain in the butt to compile. But there is no doubt this recruit would be the highest in the last 5/10 years.
GreenLantern
Riptide

FearTheWave has started a 2020 commitment tracker. He stays on top of recruiting and updates this list constantly which makes it a handy addition to your Favorites list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:42 pm FearTheWave has started a 2020 commitment tracker. He stays on top of recruiting and updates this list constantly which makes it a handy addition to your Favorites list:

Thanks Lantern and FTW too.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:18 pm % of recruits with p5 (or Sec) offers would an interestin stat. And probably a pain in the butt to compile. But there is no doubt this recruit would be the highest in the last 5/10 years.
No if, ands or buts about it. This would be BY FAR our best class since they started the composite in 2002. Unless Fritz has some real surprises up his sleeve, I doubt the class finishes at .8400. But to put that in perspective, only TWO G5 schools last year had higher ratings than that. Boise St was .8567 and UCF was .8424. That's it. It would be the 3rd best G5 class.

And to be honest, that's about all you can hope for. The ratings are pretty much All P5s, then all G5's. There's only three P5 schools whose average was less than .8400, Kansas, K State and Oregon St. Basically anyone thinking we can eventually reach .87, .88 or higher is being unrealistic.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:42 pm FearTheWave has started a 2020 commitment tracker. He stays on top of recruiting and updates this list constantly which makes it a handy addition to your Favorites list:

Despite our strong start for the 2020 class, I'm surprised to see that we are still only #4 or #5 in the AAC. I guess the entire conference is having a good recruiting year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

Despite our strong start for the 2020 class, I'm surprised to see that we are still only #4 or #5 in the AAC. I guess the entire conference is having a good recruiting year.
Because you're looking at the wrong thing. Those schools have 11-12 commits, we only have 9. Again, look at the AVERAGE score per recruit. Only Memphis (#1) at .8563, USF (#7) at .8466 and Houston (#10) at .8612 have higher scores than us. However, Houston only has 3 commits, which is why they're #10 in AAC, and USF only has 7.

That's why the average is more important than the rank, because a school that signed five 4 star recruits, but only signed 10 total players would probably end up in the 90s, whereas a school that was signing 25 players with only one 4 star could still be in the 40s.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Because you're looking at the wrong thing. Those schools have 11-12 commits, we only have 9. Again, look at the AVERAGE score per recruit. Only Memphis (#1) at .8563, USF (#7) at .8466 and Houston (#10) at .8612 have higher scores than us. However, Houston only has 3 commits, which is why they're #10 in AAC, and USF only has 7.

That's why the average is more important than the rank, because a school that signed five 4 star recruits, but only signed 10 total players would probably end up in the 90s, whereas a school that was signing 25 players with only one 4 star could still be in the 40s.
It's amazing how simple this is and how few posters on this forum can grasp this concept! You are dead on right M320.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

R- we all get that average is important. As you said there though we would still be 4th behind Memphis, USF and Houston. That is better than being near the bottom as in past years. Most important though is that it's way too early to worry about rankings. No one is SIGNED and recruiting classes are not completed. We'll have a better idea after early signing day in December and know for sure signing day in February.
RobertM320
Green Wave

win,

My only point is, at the end of the day, look at the QUALITY of the recruits, not the QUANTITY, because the quantity just inflates the numerical ranking. It means nothing that our fellow conference mates are ranked 10 spots higher if the only reason is because they signed five extra players. I realize none of these are signed yet.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

R- I do realize that and thought I was clear on it. Everyone understands that quantity can skew the numbers. We do look at the quality and so far most of us like the way it's shaping up.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Obviously some don't understand that, when they're talking about the class being in the 50s/60s. It could be in the 40s and still not be a good class. Average score is a better indicator of class quality than numerical ranks is. That's all I'm saying, and some people don't get that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I get you. I'm just saying I think more get it than you think. A couple of posters not taking the time to look at it themselves and are just told we're in such and such place and jump to conclusions shouldn't set you off so.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

As waveclem im sure would also agree with: Its amazing looking at the first posts of this thread and looking at where we are now. This never would have happened in the last 20 years. Its a great time to be a greenie !
galvezwave
Swell

Ok , so does all this mean we’re gonna kick ass, or what .
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 am Ok , so does all this mean we’re gonna kick ass, or what .
I'd be ok with consistently competitive right now. We've only had one winning season and a bowl appearance. Lets see if we can string together several bowl appearances. There's never been 3 in a row in my lifetime, so that's my goal for now. Reach that, then we go further. I do believe we're on the right track.
galvezwave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
galvezwave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 am Ok , so does all this mean we’re gonna kick ass, or what .
I'd be ok with consistently competitive right now. We've only had one winning season and a bowl appearance. Lets see if we can string together several bowl appearances. There's never been 3 in a row in my lifetime, so that's my goal for now. Reach that, then we go further. I do believe we're on the right track.
Kicking ass was me relatively speaking, so I agree.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
We haven't won 8+ games 3 years in a row since the 1920.'s and have never done it four years in a row. Lets take some milestone steps before we consider the possibility of being top 25 most years. I know others are realistic about this but I was surprised to learn how infrequently we win 8 games in a season. I'd be damned happy to start breaking these records for consistency that the 115 year old program hasn't ever reached.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V