Justin Ibieta

Talk about the latest recruits here.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:10 pm There have been a few athletes at P5 schools (the P5 has nothing to do with this other than the visability) that played both football and basketball in the past 20 years or so. But they're few and far between. Basketball starts practice October 1st, football ends (for 1/2 of D1) around the 1st of December, maybe as late as the second week of January (for P5/ESPN mythical playoff participants). It's not easy to play both, to play Football and Baseball, the baseball coach has to be ok with no fall ball, and football coach ok for no spring ball. It's not easy to do two sports, but certainly football and baseball are more realistic than football and basketball.
Jim Thorpe

Ya’ll getting way ahead of yourselves. He is coming to TU and will make choices.

ccap05
Surge

I played B-league flag football, basketball (not a starter) and left fielder on our softball team for the KAs during my sophomore year. It was during the 80s, a different time, but I did it. I don't consider myself a super-athlete or Bo Jackson or anything- I was just an average guy. I did not keep up the pace in grad school because Tulane law did not have organized intramural athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He'll be playing one sport at Tulane:

https://vsnlouisiana.com/multi-talented ... ay-cajuns/
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 pm He'll be playing one sport at Tulane:

https://vsnlouisiana.com/multi-talented ... ay-cajuns/
Hardly a surprise. Why would any athlete extend himself to participate in the current Jewett dumpster fire?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This one has nothing to do with TJ. It has everything to do with his playing QB and not being in a position to miss any time in spring practice and he can't risk his arm being injured which is happening frequently in the sport of baseball.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 pm This one has nothing to do with TJ. It has everything to do with his playing QB and not being in a position to miss any time in spring practice and he can't risk his arm being injured which is happening frequently in the sport of baseball.
I agree. Anthony Scelfo played QB and baseball but his future was baseball. Justin’s future is FB and if he ends having an arm injury due to pitching a baseball that wouldn’t be good. Sucks for baseball because he’d probably be a two way everyday baseball player. Maybe he could DH and still do both.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:16 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 pm This one has nothing to do with TJ. It has everything to do with his playing QB and not being in a position to miss any time in spring practice and he can't risk his arm being injured which is happening frequently in the sport of baseball.
I agree. Anthony Scelfo played QB and baseball but his future was baseball. Justin’s future is FB and if he ends having an arm injury due to pitching a baseball that wouldn’t be good. Sucks for baseball because he’d probably be a two way everyday baseball player. Maybe he could DH and still do both.
Jameis Winston played baseball at FSU.
Kyler Murray played baseball at Oklahoma.
Plenty more examples. I hope Justin reconsiders.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm glad we got him but Justin is not on the same planet as those guys. He's a project. Also as I have pointed out he's coming from a low level of competition There's no guarantees here. If he ends up playing baseball at Tulane it means he failed at football. I don't want that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:16 pm
Jameis Winston played baseball at FSU.
Kyler Murray played baseball at Oklahoma.
Plenty more examples. I hope Justin reconsiders.
I can only see him reconsidering whenever the day comes that we have a program worth reconsidering.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He made second team All-Metro as an infielder.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The most impressive thing about Justin’s athletic accomplishments is that he missed the start of practice and many early games because of the sport overlap and still managed to make All Metro in the next sport. Ex Country Day FB playoff run extended far into basketball so he didn’t even pick up a basketball until like 10 games into the season. When he finally did he helped lead CD to a State Championship in basketball. The Cajuns run in basketball had him miss a good part of baseball. He didn’t pick up a baseball until after basketball was complete. His first game back playing baseball he had like 4 hits including a Hr. He played baseball for Tommy Mathews at CD. He made All Metro in FB, MBB and BB. Impressive considering he missed a quarter to 1/3 of the season in MBB and BB. He always played a full FB season but didn’t attend any FB camps because of other sport considerations.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Good company:
https://twitter.com/justinibieta13/stat ... 5496142850
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm Good company:
https://twitter.com/justinibieta13/stat ... 5496142850
That’s a great pic! Thanks for posting!

Off topic but interesting. Cooper Manning’s son Arch is going to be the next great in the line of Manning’s. He’s expected to start at QB for Newman HS and he’s only going to be in the 8th grade this coming fall. You’ll begin to hear a lot about him before you know it. He’s very athletic much more so than both Peyton and Eli were. Cooper was actually the best athlete of the bunch but his rare spinal condition prevented him from playing past HS.

If you’re going to make a HS FB game this fall make sure it’s Country Day vs Newman (Justin vs Arch.) should be fun.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I played JV when I was an 8th grader, and constantly scrimmaged against the varsity. By the 3rd game, they brought me up and had a few plays where I ran a flea-flicker or a toss to the starting QB who had lined up as a WR. It was a prep school in Danbury, CT (Wooster) and the second or third game I played with the varsity the opposing coach complained that an 8th grader cannot be allowed to play HS varsity. The league we played in agreed, and that was the end of my HS Varsity career. The next school I went to had a top 50 golf course to play (Kittansett) and that's where I spent my fall seasons through HS. Being 150 lbs at the time and not loving getting beat up by the 225 lb guys had a lot to do with it!

I'm sure Arch Manning has more talent in his pinky finger than I ever dreamed of having. I just post this because of my 8th grade experience getting dumped by the league for not being a HS student playing Varsity.

Going from CT to Mass is also where my dream of being an NHL hockey goalie died! I stunk up the joint compared to the players in Mass prep schools.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:12 am I played JV when I was an 8th grader, and constantly scrimmaged against the varsity. By the 3rd game, they brought me up and had a few plays where I ran a flea-flicker or a toss to the starting QB who had lined up as a WR. It was a prep school in Danbury, CT (Wooster) and the second or third game I played with the varsity the opposing coach complained that an 8th grader cannot be allowed to play HS varsity. The league we played in agreed, and that was the end of my HS Varsity career. The next school I went to had a top 50 golf course to play (Kittansett) and that's where I spent my fall seasons through HS. Being 150 lbs at the time and not loving getting beat up by the 225 lb guys had a lot to do with it!

I'm sure Arch Manning has more talent in his pinky finger than I ever dreamed of having. I just post this because of my 8th grade experience getting dumped by the league for not being a HS student playing Varsity.

Going from CT to Mass is also where my dream of being an NHL hockey goalie died! I stunk up the joint compared to the players in Mass prep schools.
You be the judge:
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Like I said, he has more talent in his pinky finger than I ever dreamed about having! Just surprised they let him play varsity in 8th grade.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Should Tulane OFFER NOW and remain an active supporter and attender of his games ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm Should Tulane OFFER NOW and remain an active supporter and attender of his games ?
Yes. However if I had to lay money on his collegiate selection I’d bet it all that he ends up at an SEC school. If Tulane could make his final 5 that would be an accomplishment. But who knows in 5-6 years out no telling we may be a National power!
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

Wherever the future Cutcliffe is, is where he'll likely go. Solid human, solid coach, great OC.
We may have a shot if the current staff remains.
Ruski
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm Should Tulane OFFER NOW and remain an active supporter and attender of his games ?
Yes. I never understood why Tulane and Newman don't have a tighter relationship when it comes to the pipeline.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ruski wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 am
Yes. I never understood why Tulane and Newman don't have a tighter relationship when it comes to the pipeline.
Agreed, it seems like a no brainer. For athletics, academics and socioeconomic considerations aka its an expensive elite prep school there would be benefit for both sides.
Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am
Ruski wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 am
Agreed, it seems like a no brainer. For athletics, academics and socioeconomic considerations aka its an expensive elite prep school there would be benefit for both sides.
I mean they're called the Greenies for god's sake
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Drew Brees kids go to Newman and my sister teaches all 4 of them.
She also taught all the Manning boys when they attended. Tulane needs to re-connect for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

None of the Mannings are ever coming to Tulane.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm None of the Mannings are ever coming to Tulane.
Wether or not the next manning does, a stronger connection between newman and tulane is a great idea. Yes they clearly want to play in the SEC (hopefully never lsu, but ole miss or Tenn would be fine). If tulane continues its upward trajectory who knows what the next generation may hold.