Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:09 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:14 am It wasn't Russell's fault the Raiders over-estimated his talents and used the first overall pick in the draft on him. That blame goes on the Raiders, not on Russell.
Didn’t matter who drafted him that fact remains that he was a complete bust and he help continue and perpetuate the stereotype of being a black QB in the NFL.
I guess Shaun King and Donovan McNabb had nothing to do with that? How about Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, DeShaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes just to name a few others. The race card is a ridiculous argument in 2019.
I as well found that post to be unfair. Bringing in race for a 6th round QB is way out there. I don’t see the point. That wall has been destroyed
Here are some more names:
Brissett (3rd round NE pats)
V young (1st round 3rd overall pick Nashville)
Haskins (1st 15th overall, skins)
Geno Smith (2nd round jets)
Randoms:
Jason Cambell
Tavaris Jackson (2nd round)
Brad Smith
Josh Freeman (1st round)

Many many more.

I won’t waste more of my time, wiki it for African American Qb’s.
Lee was a 6th with tools that many said were great. A solid P5 program offered him. His career is likely done.
This race stuff is total garbage IMO.

Page 94.

Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 pm Some are of mixed race, I will admit. But I still think it's ridiculous to play the race card w/r/t QB's at this stage in the NFL.

Ridiculous? I don’t think so. Yes, it has improved, but racism still exists at the QB position in the NFL. That list of black quarterbacks that was posted above isn’t a long one.
Ball Sumrall!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 pm Some are of mixed race, I will admit. But I still think it's ridiculous to play the race card w/r/t QB's at this stage in the NFL.

Ridiculous? I don’t think so. Yes, it has improved, but racism still exists at the QB position in the NFL. That list of black quarterbacks that was posted above isn’t a long one.
70% of NFL players are black. Where does that enter into ur argument? The black population in the US is 12%.
This is a meritocracy. Bringing in race with no data is baiting. Saying a 6th round QB was drafted on race is unproductive. Lee was given great grades throughout his career, taking a sixth round flyer on him had nothing to do with the fact he was white.
Many black QB’s simply run a different system than what the NFL requires. There are so many athletes in the pro game that u get killed trying to be a runner. But times are adjusting. Bringing race up with Lee is a huge stretch. There are plenty of 6th round QB’s who get drafted and fail, regardless of race.
This is legit silly.
Maybe we should start analyzing the rest of the position groups and ask the same sort of questions? Not enough white CB’s and WR’s, right? Just so garbage. Billion dollar organizations like each NFL team care about production. Whoever started this conversation is way way off.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OK... I will add to the thread as we march on to 100, analyzing by position, ....Bill Clinton, was the first Black President......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wilson, Mahomes, Watson, Newton, Prescot, Murray, Jackson, Winston, Mariota (somoan), Prescot, Haskins.

That’s basically 11/32 starting QB’s that are african american.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wilson,Mahomes and Prescott are not African American...Wilson's mother is Native American, and the mothers of both Prescott and Mahomes are caucasian.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:00 am Wilson,Mahomes and Prescott are not African American...Wilson's mother is Native American, and the mothers of both Prescott and Mahomes are caucasian.
So on their college application they would not check “african american”?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:04 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:00 am Wilson,Mahomes and Prescott are not African American...Wilson's mother is Native American, and the mothers of both Prescott and Mahomes are caucasian.
no clue what box, if any they checked...just giving you the facts....
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't think he's talking about today. I took it to mean that at the time Russell busted out, it reinforced the stereotype of the time w/r/t black QBs. I think its pretty much a dead issue today.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

So, let's get back on topic Tanner Lee. Page 94. Carry on.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am
I don't think he's talking about today. I took it to mean that at the time Russell busted out, it reinforced the stereotype of the time w/r/t black QBs. I think its pretty much a dead issue today.
Not with Haskins falling to 15 and Daniel Jones being drafted at 6 even though he wasn’t that great at Duke. Guaranteed if Haskins was white with the numbers he put up at Ohio St, he would have been a top two pick.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am
Not with Haskins falling to 15 and Daniel Jones being drafted at 6 even though he wasn’t that great at Duke. Guaranteed if Haskins was white with the numbers he put up at Ohio St, he would have been a top two pick.
This is probably true. What's also probably true is that there is no way that JT Barrett would have gone undrafted in 2018 if he was white.

When the smoke clears, race still does play a role for QBs getting drafted whether someone wants to openly admit it or not.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My comment wasn't specifically in regards to the draft. And yes, the system isn't perfect yet. But there's far less hesitancy to play a black QB today than there was 12 years ago when Russell was selected first in the draft.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Yet the #1 QB was an undersized one year starter who is black. Jones was coached by a guy who is judged as one of the best QB coaches in the country and still so many were critical of that pick.
I just cannot deal with this race bait. So a black QB goes 1, but lets go focus on Haskins over Jones? What about when Newton went one? Or when Russell signed his huge deal? Or when Balt took Jackson ahead of his expected slot?
There r race issues in this county, this isn’t one.

There is a long long list of white QB’s who slipped in the draft, you conveniently left them out of the conversation.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo to Indy Colts (504) C-A-L-L T-A-N-N-E-R
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 pm
Yet the #1 QB was an undersized one year starter who is black. Jones was coached by a guy who is judged as one of the best QB coaches in the country and still so many were critical of that pick.
I just cannot deal with this race bait. So a black QB goes 1, but lets go focus on Haskins over Jones? What about when Newton went one? Or when Russell signed his huge deal? Or when Balt took Jackson ahead of his expected slot?
There r race issues in this county, this isn’t one.

There is a long long list of white QB’s who slipped in the draft, you conveniently left them out of the conversation.
I don't know about the Haskins thing, but there is no way a black QB with Tanner's resume would have been drafted, and, further, it's a little unclear how many of the other teams viewed Kyler Murray. Kliff Kingsbury publicly said he would draft Kyler #1 even when he was still head coach of Texas Tech, so he already knew what he was going to do but simply because he felt that way doesn't mean that anyone else did. That makes it similar to the Daniel Jones situation in that the Giants believed that someone else was going to draft him before their 2nd 1st round selection, but we will never really know if that was the case.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The march to 100 continues!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

"Page 95..." (whispered like they did "Cheese Fries" back in the day when the basketball team was getting close to 80 points)
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:04 am
to keep the page going...they may have checked the box the same as Tiger Woods..."multi ethnic'...Woods' mother is from Thailand...his father met her, while serving in Viet Nam
Wave QB
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm
This is probably true. What's also probably true is that there is no way that JT Barrett would have gone undrafted in 2018 if he was white.

When the smoke clears, race still does play a role for QBs getting drafted whether someone wants to openly admit it or not.
Unfortunately, I agree. Your comment is very true. It’s sad, but true. I also agree that if Tanner wasn’t Tanner, (and we know what that means), he wouldn’t have sniffed a preseason field.

I am happy that the kid got a chance even through all of our debating around here, but at the end of the day, he was the QB many of us thought he was. Maybe he should go polish up with CFL. Maybe the Arena League.
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 am OK... I will add to the thread as we march on to 100, analyzing by position, ....Bill Clinton, was the first Black President......
You might want to be careful here Nut.
greenie78
Riptide

I think Tanner could have done fine here if he had better coaching.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Note to Saints....504- C-A-L-L--L-E-E
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/276 ... ss-6-weeks
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It would be very telling if the Saints don't call Tanner. Sean Peyton was the one that got him recruited by CJ.

6 pages to go!!!

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

If Tanner elects to stay in early retirement, got a call in to Aaron Brooks. After all he was the last QB not named Drew Brees to win a game as a Saint (2005). Is that possible?