Caleb Daniels transferring to Villanova

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am Mistake . That's what happens when Daddy's calling the shots.

I agree.

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bigschtick wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am Mistake . That's what happens when Daddy's calling the shots.
Judging from some Villanova fan chatter, roughly half of their supporters feel the same way.

I agree.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:36 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm
Judging from some Villanova fan chatter, roughly half of their supporters feel the same way.

I agree.
None of us know, nor do any of the Villanova fans know if he's making a mistake. As previously posted, I think he's taking a risk.. But he's going to play for a coach that is widely considered one of the best in the College game. To label his decision a mistake at this time makes no sense. Who knows, maybe he's going there to learn from Jay Wright because he wants to be a coach. Or maybe he goes there and lights it up and goes on to a great NBA career.

I'm not saying Ron Hunter isn't a great coach, but he's not battle tested at this level, or a higher level as Jay Wright has been. And Wright has been there while Tulane has gone through 5 coaches.

Time will tell, and if anyone has the ability to tell ahead of time, I'll pay them $ millions to help me pick stocks and sports bets for one week. He's taking a risk. Let's all hope it works out for the young man.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

And who are you to say it makes no sense. He was going to be a starter here and the leader of the team. He'll likely end up there as a role player. He wants to go the the NBA. His opportunity to shine here is better than it will be there. Myself and many others see it the same way.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:58 pm And who are you to say it makes no sense. He was going to be a starter here and the leader of the team. He'll likely end up there as a role player. He wants to go the the NBA. His opportunity to shine here is better than it will be there. Myself and many others see it the same way.
I'm glad you have such confidence in your crystal ball. I don't disagree that there's a decent chance you're right, but to PROCLAIM this a mistake is premature. What happens if he grows another inch or two, puts on 25 lbs, and improves his quickness while sitting out a year? Then he schools all of us who questioned his decision. You just don't know. Saying you do is playing God.

And you get SO touchy whenever someone disagrees with you.

OVER AND OUT on this argument. You can winwave with the last word, which I love to let you have rather than argue ridiculous scenarios like this.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:58 pm And who are you to say it makes no sense. He was going to be a starter here and the leader of the team. He'll likely end up there as a role player. He wants to go the the NBA. His opportunity to shine here is better than it will be there. Myself and many others see it the same way.
It is a wait and see.

The kid is going to a national championship program. Maybe he will get buried on the depth chart. Fact is a big time program wanted him. Let it play out. If my son was offered a Nova scholly from TU i am pretty sure I would tell him to take it.
Another dart on MD, guy has a player with capabilities to play at a NOVA but can’t even beat the worst teams OOC or win a conf game. MD should be ashamed. MONEY GRAB.
JerseyWave
Riptide

The Dunleavys have a connection to Villanova basketball and I read that Daniels was being advised by Dunleavy’s son, an agent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:08 pm
I'm glad you have such confidence in your crystal ball. I don't disagree that there's a decent chance you're right, but to PROCLAIM this a mistake is premature. What happens if he grows another inch or two, puts on 25 lbs, and improves his quickness while sitting out a year? Then he schools all of us who questioned his decision. You just don't know. Saying you do is playing God.

And you get SO touchy whenever someone disagrees with you.

OVER AND OUT on this argument. You can winwave with the last word, which I love to let you have rather than argue ridiculous scenarios like this.
It's what these forums exist for- for people to state their opinions. You've proudly said before you like putting yourself out there even though it means you end up being wrong a lot. What's funny is that you love to come give your opinion on everything but when others do and you disagree you try to shut the conversation down. It's old. There's a difference between giving different opinions and insulting the others opinion.
Last edited by winwave on Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 pm
It is a wait and see.

The kid is going to a national championship program. Maybe he will get buried on the depth chart. Fact is a big time program wanted him. Let it play out. If my son was offered a Nova scholly from TU i am pretty sure I would tell him to take it.
Another dart on MD, guy has a player with capabilities to play at a NOVA but can’t even beat the worst teams OOC or win a conf game. MD should be ashamed. MONEY GRAB.
Like I said above these forums exist for people to give their opinions on how they think things play out. Nothing said here will prevent it from playing out.
MicMan
Swell

From the outhouse to the penthouse with the stroke of a pen. And butthurt Tulane fans begrudge him that. Time to look in the mirror.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Yes the program was in the outhouse under Mike Dunleavy but will be a crown jewel under Ron Hunter. I’m surprised that Daniels did not want to be a part of helping to lead the transformation but wish him nothing but the best at Nova.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm
It is a wait and see.

Like I said above these forums exist for people to give their opinions on how they think things play out. Nothing said here will prevent it from playing out.
....and that’s what I did. Not ready to crucify his choice. That is in fact a choice. You want to define choice on a goddam opinion site. As if this forum exists to exclusively give yes or no decisions. DT’s response was reasonable btw
God forbid someone thinks that maybe leaving a zero win team for a national championship team may not be a bad choice. Why r you so defensive? Why do you need to have this discussion being a simple yes or no.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

And that's what I did. I gave an opinion. I think he made a bad choice. I didn't crucify him. As to d I never said it wasn't. Just said you don't need to insult others opinions. But you're clearly two peas in a pod.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 pm And that's what I did. I gave an opinion. I think he made a bad choice. I didn't crucify him. As to d I never said it wasn't. Just said you don't need to insult others opinions. But you're clearly two peas in a pod.
Where did I insult? I clearly said that I don’t know (but can at least understand his choice) and u wanting a definitive answer is wrong.

I think you desire conflict sometimes, its weird. Anyone who re-reads this discussion can reach their conclusion on your recent thoughts.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm
It is a wait and see.

....and that’s what I did. Not ready to crucify his choice. That is in fact a choice. You want to define choice on a goddam opinion site. As if this forum exists to exclusively give yes or no decisions. DT’s response was reasonable btw
God forbid someone thinks that maybe leaving a zero win team for a national championship team may not be a bad choice. Why r you so defensive? Why do you need to have this discussion being a simple yes or no.
Never said it had to be yes or no. I simply stated my opinion and you've lost your mind over it. Wasn't defensive. Like I said there's no reason to insult someone's opinion. Saying that someone's opinion is senseless is insulting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:31 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 pm And that's what I did. I gave an opinion. I think he made a bad choice. I didn't crucify him. As to d I never said it wasn't. Just said you don't need to insult others opinions. But you're clearly two peas in a pod.
Where did I insult? I clearly said that I don’t know (but can at least understand his choice) and u wanting a definitive answer is wrong.

I think you desire conflict sometimes, its weird. Anyone who re-reads this discussion can reach their conclusion on your recent thoughts.
Maybe you need to re-read it. There is somebody here who likes to bring on conflict.
WavyHoops
High Tide

My quote was misinterpreted. I did not intend to say that Daniels was making a mistake going to Villanova. He’s going from one of the worst programs in the country to one of the best. Good luck to him.

My point was that about half of Nova’s fan base thinks he’s not going to help the team enough to make it worth locking up a scholarship when they have access to 4 and 5 star players on a regular basis. Some point out that his offensive stats come as a result of very high usage on a team where no one else could score. The other half say they trust Jay Wright.
WavyHoops
High Tide

GreenLantern
Riptide

Caleb Daniels is an impressive young man who could have changed the story at Tulane. I hope he's an outstanding success at Villanova and that his team never loses a game...until they play the Wave in next year's NCAA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wish him all the best, and respect that he took a chance by transferring to Villanova, where he might not get as many minutes. Is my memory failing me, or was he the guy that was gym-ratting at Fogelman when Dunleavy noticed him after not being recruited out of St. Augs?
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm I wish him all the best, and respect that he took a chance by switching to Villanova, where he might not get as many minutes. Is my memory failing me, or was he the guy that was gym-ratting at Fogelman when Dunleavy noticed him after not being recruited out of St. Augs?
I don't know about the gym-rat story, but here's what I recall about Caleb:
  • He was valedictorian at St. Aug.
  • His play was always aggressive to the degree that he was on the edge of losing control. His motor ran at full throttle for the entire game.
  • He always needed a haircut (judging by the WavyHoops video, rules are a bit tighter at Villanova).
  • He scored 36 points against a pretty salty Wichita State team.
  • At the end of his last game under Dunleavy, we had a chance to win our only conference game of the season but lost in the final few seconds, Caleb left the court weeping as if he had just lost a close family member.
A very class young man. I hope that when he looks back at Tulane, he sees that time positively and as a growth period in his career.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm I wish him all the best, and respect that he took a chance by switching to Villanova, where he might not get as many minutes. Is my memory failing me, or was he the guy that was gym-ratting at Fogelman when Dunleavy noticed him after not being recruited out of St. Augs?
I don't know about the gym-rat story, but here's what I recall about Caleb:
  • He was valedictorian at St. Aug.
  • His play was always aggressive to the degree that he was on the edge of losing control. His motor ran at full throttle for the entire game.
  • He always needed a haircut (judging by the WavyHoops video, rules are a bit tighter at Villanova).
  • He scored 36 points against a pretty salty Wichita State team.
  • At the end of his last game under Dunleavy, we had a chance to win our only conference game of the season but lost in the final few seconds, Caleb left the court weeping as if he had just lost a close family member.
A very class young man. I hope that when he looks back at Tulane, he sees that time positively and as a growth period in his career.
I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the young man. I may even be mistaking him for another player. But I thought he wasn't highly recruited and Dunleavy got him after seeing him play pickup ball in Fogelman, besting some of his players.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He got injured and missed the AAU circuit which led to him being under recruited . MD saw him locally and signed him. About the only good thing he did. I hope he does well but I believe he could have done more here and stood out more so than at Nova.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Played 36 minutes , and started for Number Two ranked Villanova, in Villanova's first game Wednesday . Was five for nine from the field and was Villanova's second leading scorer with 14 points . Next game : vs ASU .

The one who got away from Hunter , undoubtedly with Dunleavy singing his praises to Nova's coaches and delighting in messing with us .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Houma de Wave
Swell

I watched the Villanova-BC game last night. Caleb played well and was highly regarded by the ESPN announcers. Obviously, Jay Wright likes him a lot.