Caleb Daniels transferring to Villanova

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DrBox
Riptide

So in 2018, we have 2 NBA players and Daniels and we win....5 conference games.
What a fricking joke.
Dunleavy just has to play the obsolete triangle.

Houma de Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:54 am So in 2018, we have 2 NBA players and Daniels and we win....5 conference games.
What a fricking joke.
Amazing, isn’t it. Just think what Perry Clark in his early years would have done with that roster.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Good thing he could standout more than playing 36 minutes for the number 2 team in the country by staying at one of the worst programs in D1. That's one hell of a publicity job Tulane Basketball must be capable of doing. Had he stayed, he might be a 2nd round draft pick or a UFA in the NBA. But he would have been the big fish in a tiny pond.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

All you need is a couple of scorers and then rebound some and play stout defense to have a competitive team. We've had the talent to do that from time to time over the last 20 years, during which we haven't had a competent team. When's the last time a Tulane team played any defense at all?
Stockton's teams have had spotty rosters for most of the last 15 years; but there are always a couple of good players and her teams play D; thus they sit in the top 100 or 120 instead of the bottom 100.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:54 am So in 2018, we have 2 NBA players and Daniels and we win....5 conference games.
What a fricking joke.
We had 2 G-league players to be accurate. They would have been bench players on Perry's better teams. Doesn't change the fact that MD sucked and he should have done more with them but let's not overstate what we had.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 am
What a fricking joke.
We had 2 G-league players to be accurate. They would have been bench players on Perry's better teams. Doesn't change the fact that MD sucked and he should have done more with them but let's not overstate what we had.

But MD did accompolish one thing...he gets to live in Ole Metry
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

What a fricking joke.
They both played in the NBA; Clark had, what, 2 players drafted in the 2nd round?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What a fricking joke.
Because Perry's teams were loaded with NBA talent that would have moved them to the bench? I don't recall very many who played in the NBA that Perry coached at Tulane. I know Honeycutt was a 2nd round pick and played about 50 games over a couple of seasons and averaged about 5 ppg. Anthony Reed was drafted in the 2nd round by the Bulls, but to my knowledge never suited up.

I'm pretty sure those are the only 2 Tulanians Perry had drafted. We had some talent back then, no doubt, but I don't recall NBA knocking down doors to get to Tulane players under Clark. It would depend upon the system and rotation, but Reynolds, Frazier and Daniels would have all had a big role on any of Perry's teams, IMHO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:10 pm
What a fricking joke.
They both played in the NBA; Clark had, what, 2 players drafted in the 2nd round?
Weak. Their professional experience has been vastly in the G-league. Reynolds took 4 years to develop. Frazier was mistakenly thought to be a 3 and D player but isn't.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 pm
What a fricking joke.
Because Perry's teams were loaded with NBA talent that would have moved them to the bench? I don't recall very many who played in the NBA that Perry coached at Tulane. I know Honeycutt was a 2nd round pick and played about 50 games over a couple of seasons and averaged about 5 ppg. Anthony Reed was drafted in the 2nd round by the Bulls, but to my knowledge never suited up.

I'm pretty sure those are the only 2 Tulanians Perry had drafted. We had some talent back then, no doubt, but I don't recall NBA knocking down doors to get to Tulane players under Clark. It would depend upon the system and rotation, but Reynolds, Frazier and Daniels would have all had a big role on any of Perry's teams, IMHO.
I watched all those teams. As I said above it took Reynolds 4 years to develop. He wasn't athletic enough for that style Perry played. Frazier would have been a rotational player to be clear. He would have been more of a fit than Reynolds. Not talking about the NBA here. Talking what their place would have been under Perry. Daniels also would have been a rotational player. Remember that Perry's team played in a better conference than those guys did.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Since Caleb transferred way back in the pre-pandemic era, why not change the name of this thread?
Jaxwave
Swell

Congrats to him on his nice career move to Villanova. Playing in NCAAs. Unfortunately he looks like he’s playing for Tulane today. Completely overmatched against Baylor. Numerous turnovers.
oliveandblue
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm Congrats to him on his nice career move to Villanova. Playing in NCAAs. Unfortunately he looks like he’s playing for Tulane today. Completely overmatched against Baylor. Numerous turnovers.
He was good for most of the year. This was a bad matchup and the other Nova guys left him on an island.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Caleb (14pts) in Villanova’s win over Houston to advance to the Final Four in the NCAA tournament.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:24 am Congrats to Caleb (14pts) in Villanova’s win over Houston to advance to the Final Four in the NCAA tournament.
He definitely made the right move getting out of the Dannen basketball cesspool.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:03 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:24 am Congrats to Caleb (14pts) in Villanova’s win over Houston to advance to the Final Four in the NCAA tournament.
He definitely made the right move getting out of the Dannen basketball cesspool.
Yes he did. I don’t think Hunter thought much of him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:30 pm
I'm curious what gave you that impression? He begged him to stay was my impression.

Either way, congrats and welcome home Caleb. Treat your teammates to some of the Crescent City's best.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:59 pm

I'm curious what gave you that impression? He begged him to stay was my impression.

Either way, congrats and welcome home Caleb. Treat your teammates to some of the Crescent City's best.
Hey D. Caleb had a chip on his shoulder and Hunter wanted to knock it off. That’s just my impression.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:06 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:59 pm

Hey D. Caleb had a chip on his shoulder and Hunter wanted to knock it off. That’s just my impression.
I didn't know that. But I think it worked out ok for all parties. Unless my math is off, Caleb's career would be over if he stayed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Uptown kid makes it back home on the big stage
https://www.nola.com/sports/article_f04 ... 0ec3c.html
Daniels, who grew up in Uptown, appreciates those games. They made the little brother better.

“They were physical,” Daniels said. “Being beat a lot and taking a lot of losses, but they helped mold me not only into the ballplayer I am, but the person I am as well. They taught me a lot of life experiences.”

Now the lesson he’s learning is that life sometimes comes full-circle. His college basketball career started in his hometown at Tulane, where he played for two seasons before transferring.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

Attention Hunter critics about having a big man: Villanova is 199th in the nation in Rebounding and their tallest Player is 6'9". A Final Four Team with the makeup of Hunter's Wave Team.
You ask how they make it to the Final Four so weak on rebounding, lst in Free throws 83%, 28th in 3 Point shooting, lowest turnover average of the Final 4 teams 9.9 per game. They are not even a good Field Goal shooting team at 43.4 or 224th in the country. They win on defense!!!
Three of their top 5 rebounders are guards, the other two are 6'7" and 6'8".
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:22 pm Attention Hunter critics about having a big man: Villanova is 199th in the nation in Rebounding and their tallest Player is 6'9". A Final Four Team with the makeup of Hunter's Wave Team.
You ask how they make it to the Final Four so weak on rebounding, lst in Free throws 83%, 28th in 3 Point shooting, lowest turnover average of the Final 4 teams 9.9 per game. They are not even a good Field Goal shooting team at 43.4 or 224th in the country. They win on defense!!!
Attention gbGreenie--your "lesson" is bogus. While height is an advantage, rebounding is mainly about positioning and effort, which is totally absent on the Tulane team when it comes to rebounding. In offensive rebounding, the Final Four are ranked as follows: Kansas #26; Duke #61; Villanova #84 and UNC #87 (with a bunch of tall guys); and Tulane? Drum roll please-- #350!!! Trying to ascribe and apply any rule from the Final Four teams to Tulane is a joke--might as well compare Mercury to Pluto.
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:59 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:22 pm Attention Hunter critics about having a big man: Villanova is 199th in the nation in Rebounding and their tallest Player is 6'9". A Final Four Team with the makeup of Hunter's Wave Team.
Attention gbGreenie--your "lesson" is bogus. While height is an advantage, rebounding is mainly about positioning and effort, which is totally absent on the Tulane team when it comes to rebounding. In offensive rebounding, the Final Four are ranked as follows: Kansas #26; Duke #61; Villanova #84 and UNC #87 (with a bunch of tall guys); and Tulane? Drum roll please-- #350!!! Trying to ascribe and apply any rule from the Final Four teams to Tulane is a joke--might as well compare Mercury to Pluto.
Better check your Rebounding ratings with this mornings New Orleans Advocate:
Kansas: 45th 38 per game
Duke: 48th 37.9 per game
NC: 6th 40.6 per game
Villanova: 199th 34.9 per game
Tulane; 31.6 per game

Right positioning matters but by choice Hunter positions Cross at the top of the key for passing. He is the strongest under the goal.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:50 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:59 pm
Better check your Rebounding ratings with this mornings New Orleans Advocate:
Kansas: 45th 38 per game
Duke: 48th 37.9 per game
NC: 6th 40.6 per game
Villanova: 199th 34.9 per game
Tulane; 31.6 per game

Right positioning matters but by choice Hunter positions Cross at the top of the key for passing. He is the strongest under the goal.
I’ll go with Teamrankings.com
over a local rag. But no matter what the poll, comparing Tulane to any Final Four team is literally hilarious.
Show Me
Tsunami

Caleb has another year if he wants to play. Was pulling for him to reach the finals.