Could an Indoor Practice Facility be coming Nov ‘23? Stay tuned...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

just dome Yulman with an inflatable Helium Roof.....very much like the Metrodome used.....no huge support beams needed, just a "rail system", it can also be designed to open an close
The stadium had a fiberglass fabric roof that was self-supported by air pressure and was the third major sports facility to have this feature (the first two being the Pontiac Silverdome and the Carrier Dome).

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am just dome Yulman with an inflatable Helium Roof.....very much like the Metrodome used.....no huge support beams needed, just a "rail system", it can also be designed to open an close
The stadium had a fiberglass fabric roof that was self-supported by air pressure and was the third major sports facility to have this feature (the first two being the Pontiac Silverdome and the Carrier Dome).
WIth zero engineering or design skills, I question if this is remotely possible? I doubt you can retroactively build a bubble around a stadium that wasn't designed to be inside a bubble. Particularly one like Yulman that is far from symmetrical. And do it with the ability to have an inflatable roof open and close might be a first. I'm sure we have posters (or at least lurkers) here that can answer this question with authority.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am just dome Yulman with an inflatable Helium Roof.....very much like the Metrodome used.....no huge support beams needed, just a "rail system", it can also be designed to open an close
WIth zero engineering or design skills, I question if this is remotely possible? I doubt you can retroactively build a bubble around a stadium that wasn't designed to be inside a bubble. Particularly one like Yulman that is far from symmetrical. And do it with the ability to have an inflatable roof open and close might be a first. I'm sure we have posters (or at least lurkers) here that can answer this question with authority.
D...I would think, using a flexible material, which can be inflated, you can configure the roof in any shape you want
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
BC Wave
Swell

A twist here and a pull there….
I now have a giraffe!

I’m available for birthday parties and Bar mitzvahs!
😀

(Actually, like a previous poster, I have zero knowledge and ability of engineering principles. I await informed opinions)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BC Wave wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 pm A twist here and a pull there….
I now have a giraffe!

😀

(Actually, like a previous poster, I have zero knowledge and ability of engineering principles. I await informed opinions)
:lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

Thanks for the link. I can live with an on-campus bubble if that's what it takes. It will only help the team practice more often especially during bad weather and save money long-term.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:40 pm
BC Wave wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 pm A twist here and a pull there….
I now have a giraffe!

😀

:lol:
All the best with your latest money making opportunity
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:44 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 pm I have a question about the bubble. Is it inflated always or does it go up and down during football season and training camps?
Cincinnati’s bubble

I was wondering that as well especially if a hurricane is approaching. Also will it allow for practice during a lightning storm.

Memphis has room for this.

I would rather a permanent structure for aesthetics alone.
Agree, could include offices, weight room, other amenities that can clear space for future expansion in athletic facilities. Maybe include basketball in someway.,
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the dome @ syracuse...Football, Basketball, Concerts, IPF...take note of the current roof supports...the original supports were rails on the inside of the stadium... I am wondering if these rails could be connected to the current Stadium Lights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JMA_Wireless_Dome
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I too would prefer to see a permanent structure--which would allow for storage and other uses, and we wouldn't even have to pay extra for color-coordinated ping pong tables. If we end up with a balloon, I guess they'll have to inflate it on days when recruits come to visit. Do the balloons have to be white or silver, or can they be camouflaged to blend with the surroundings?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 am I too would prefer to see a permanent structure--which would allow for storage and other uses, and we wouldn't even have to pay extra for color-coordinated ping pong tables. If we end up with a balloon, I guess they'll have to inflate it on days when recruits come to visit. Do the balloons have to be white or silver, or can they be camouflaged to blend with the surroundings?
I'm pretty sure they are all light in color to reflect as much heat as possible. I'm too lazy to Google and confirm that. :D
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:59 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 am I too would prefer to see a permanent structure--which would allow for storage and other uses, and we wouldn't even have to pay extra for color-coordinated ping pong tables. If we end up with a balloon, I guess they'll have to inflate it on days when recruits come to visit. Do the balloons have to be white or silver, or can they be camouflaged to blend with the surroundings?
I'm pretty sure they are all light in color to reflect as much heat as possible. I'm too lazy to Google and confirm that. :D
The Bubble at UT is climate controlled
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:06 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:59 pm
The Bubble at UT is climate controlled
Maybe we can get window units with ours :lol:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:06 pm The Bubble at UT is climate controlled
I would hope any bubble we would have would be climate-controlled. I was just saying that, in general, I would imagine it's easier and more efficient to maintain the temp in a structure like that with a lighter color shell.

Now, a permanent structure/insulation/roof would be a different story.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
wave97
Swell

Pumping up a big nasty blister on Willow St, can't be the only & cheapest answer.
There is an answer if we continue to hire well, recruit well & Win!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Woody, some of those European stadiums reminded me of the old Olympic Stadium in Montreal. It had a curtain roof that was lifted out and then back in it would spread out like a couple of those modern ones in the video. They must have perfected the technology because as I recall the original roof only worked for a very short period of time, then broke and they put it back in permanently.
RobertM320
Green Wave

South Alabama

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:11 am South Alabama

I’d take that!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:25 am

I’d take that!
looks like many transport loading docks, with garage doors, that I have been on
greenie78
Riptide

They've managed to build an IPF and brand new stadium in the last several years basically on donations. Not sure why Tulane can't be as productive in upgrading facilities.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed Daniels had Willie on the SportsZone Friday night and reported that the new indoor practice facility could be completed by November 2023.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10 pm Ed Daniels had Willie on the SportsZone Friday night and reported that the new indoor practice facility could be completed by November 2023.
Just in time to prepare for the season finale, CCG, and Peach Bowl 8-)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:34 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10 pm Ed Daniels had Willie on the SportsZone Friday night and reported that the new indoor practice facility could be completed by November 2023.
Just in time to prepare for the season finale, CCG, and Peach Bowl 8-)
I sure as heck hope you are right on all levels! That said, I hope the team doesn't go into 2023 with a collective big head. As Tyjae said after the USM game, they believed the headlines after the KSU game and it cost them. We all expect the greatness to continue. But the 2023 football team is 0-0 (yes we won the Cotton Bowl on 1/2/23, that was the 2022 teams' victory). It is a distinctly new entity, with new coaches, players and opponents. This team will grow its own identity, with a tough standard to live up to now. The bar has been raised.

Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tulane finally purchased Audubon Place, and evicted the infidels