2017 Football Schedule Released

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Grambling State HC, Broderick Fobbs, is the brother of Tulane RB coach Jamaal Fobbs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks for the link.

This is a tough schedule. It will be absolutely necessary to beat Grambling, Army, FIU and ECU to have a shot at 6 wins and a bowl game. If we lose any of those four, I don't think we have a prayer at 6 wins. As it is, we'll need two upsets (though we could be underdogs to Army and/or ECU) to get those four wins.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I would say this is a decent schedule but not all that tough. The only game that would be put in the no chance category is the Oklahoma game. USF and Memphis would be a notch below that. The other 9 are all winnable games. Grambling is a good FCS team that returns a lot. As long as we don't think they'll be like Southern we should be ok never having lost to an FCS team. Navy has stability but after it lost its second QB late last season they took a step back and we played them close last season. Army has improved but is certainly beatable. FIU is beatable. ECU is a mess after their release of their coach before last season. Cincy had to make a change due to their failures. Houston not only lost Ward they lost a good coach and made a weak hire based on safety. Tulsa lost their QB and other good pieces on Offense. They will take a step back this year. We should have beat SMU last year. We have 9 starters returning on both sides of the ball and brought in some veteran help w/jucos and grad transfers at positions of need. You usually see a big improvement from year one to year two. Lots of opportunities for wins. We won't cash in on them all but 6 certainly seems doable.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Thanks for the link.

This is a tough schedule. It will be absolutely necessary to beat Grambling, Army, FIU and ECU to have a shot at 6 wins and a bowl game. If we lose any of those four, I don't think we have a prayer at 6 wins. As it is, we'll need two upsets (though we could be underdogs to Army and/or ECU) to get those four wins.
Army beat both the AAC East and the AAC West Division Champs (Temple and Navy) last season, so it would be tough to mark them as a must win.

I'm not seeing 6 wins given the state of Tulane's roster.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Army beat both the AAC East and the AAC West Division Champs (Temple and Navy) last season, so it would be tough to mark them as a must win.

Depending on OL, DL, and QB play there are 3 to 7 wins I know that is a huge gap, but with the unknown, comes uncertainty...if there are two juco or grad transfers in May, especially at the DL positions my early forecast will change
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Depending on OL, DL, and QB play there are 3 to 7 wins I know that is a huge gap, but with the unknown, comes uncertainty...if there are two juco or grad transfers in May, especially at the DL positions my early forecast will change
Our defense should be solid enough to maintain close to the status quo from last season. If we have improved O-line play and qb play, 6-7 wins is definitely doable. We have new coaches at many of different schools we play so it's a crapshoot for them too, but we have a leg up by the fact we have Fritz continuing to build from last season. I really hope Mr. Banks is the real deal and shows us what's up in Spring.
Ruski
Swell

9 winnable and 9 losable games. I could see us getting upset in the Grambling, Army, FIU games as easily upsetting Navy, Tulsa, USF, Memphis, Cincy, ECU, Houston, SMU.

Navy, ECU, Memphis on the road will surely be tough. Even FIU away is no gimme.

Ah the joys of a Tulane fan! :mrgreen:
Ruski
Swell

According to ESPN's FPI we're favored against FIU, CIN, ECU. Toss up with Navy, Army, SMU.

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 1920347137
RobertM320
Green Wave

You should probably figure on favored vs Grambling and tossup vs Tulsa, especially since both are at home.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:You should probably figure on favored vs Grambling and tossup vs Tulsa, especially since both are at home.
I know last year was last year...but I saw Grambling on a few occasion, one VS Arizona, this game deserves everyone's attention
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:You should probably figure on favored vs Grambling and tossup vs Tulsa, especially since both are at home.
I know last year was last year...but I saw Grambling on a few occasion, one VS Arizona, this game deserves everyone's attention
Grambling went 11-1 last season, uh yeah, we should DEFINITELY be paying attention.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't say we shouldn't pay a lot of attention to them. I didn't say we should discount them. What I said is, we will probably be favored.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Aside from maybe FIU - maybe because Tulane is playing @FIU - there are no automatic wins on the Schedule.

If Tulane beats one of the below teams, it would be huge even if Tulane doesn't hit 6 wins:
@Oklahoma, @Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, USF, @Navy
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Aside from maybe FIU - maybe because Tulane is playing @FIU - there are no automatic wins on the Schedule.

If Tulane beats one of the below teams, it would be huge even if Tulane doesn't hit 6 wins:
@Oklahoma, @Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, USF, @Navy
Agreed. Would probably be the biggest win since we beat Houston in 2014.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only one that would be HUGE is Oklahoma. Memphis and USF would be notable. The other three don't belong there for next season.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:The only one that would be HUGE is Oklahoma. Memphis and USF would be notable. The other three don't belong there for next season.
It's fine if we disagree, but:

(1) Navy is one of the most consistently successful FBS programs in recent memory.
(2) Houston will likely regress some from 2016, but its quality roster will make a difference even if Applewhite isn't a good coach.
(3) Tulsa's 2016 team was the first team in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer, two 1,000 yard rushers, and two 1,000 yard receivers. Even though some of those pieces will not be in place in 2017, Montgomery knows what he's doing.

Tulane would be showing significant signs of improvement if it beats any of those teams.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:The only one that would be HUGE is Oklahoma. Memphis and USF would be notable. The other three don't belong there for next season.

(1) Navy is one of the most consistently successful FBS programs in recent memory.
(2) Houston will likely regress some from 2016, but its quality roster will make a difference even if Applewhite isn't a good coach.
(3) Tulsa's 2016 team was the first team in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer, two 1,000 yard rushers, and two 1,000 yard receivers. Even though some of those pieces will not be in place in 2017, Montgomery knows what he's doing.

Tulane would be showing significant signs of improvement if it beats any of those teams.
Tulsa less so than Navy or Houston but I agree. For those that follow AAC it would be a clear sign of progress for Tulane to win the games we're supposed to and pick up one against Navy or Houston.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulsa went 2-10 in 2014 (year before Montgomery was hired), went 6-7 in year 1 and went 10-3 in year 2. That's extraordinary, and, given that accomplishment and given that the 2016 Tulsa team accomplished the 3,000 yd passer, two 1,000 yd rushers, and two 1,000 yd receivers feat; Tulsa should not be slighted.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Navy took a step back after losing their 2nd QB last year. We almost beat them last year w/the good QB playing for them. They will take a step back this year. Tulsa lost major pieces of that offense that Montgomery came into. Houston lost Ward and Herman. Huge losses for them.

Wins would show improvement but that's a far cry from your declaration of HUGE which is what I responded to.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Tulsa less so than Navy or Houston but I agree. For those that follow AAC it would be a clear sign of progress for Tulane to win the games we're supposed to and pick up one against Navy or Houston.
We agree they would show progress but they would not be HUGE wins which is what zombie originally posted.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

We agree they would show progress but they would not be HUGE wins which is what zombie originally posted.
I don't know. Most AAC fans see Tulane as an automatic win. A win against Houston/Navy/Tulsa and no shocking losses would prove otherwise. Would give us about 5/6 wins.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If we were talking last years versions of those teams I would agree. I'm not sure how much beating those teams next year will move the needle for our fans much less AAC fans.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:If we were talking last years versions of those teams I would agree. I'm not sure how much beating those teams next year will move the needle for our fans much less AAC fans.
It's a big deal because it shows growth under Fritz. If Tulane misses on bowl eligibility and doesn't beat any of those teams, the argument could legitimately be made that Tulane isn't making progress under Fritz, which would surprising given that Fritz was hired for his reputation for causing programs to turnaround.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:If we were talking last years versions of those teams I would agree. I'm not sure how much beating those teams next year will move the needle for our fans much less AAC fans.
It's a big deal because it shows growth under Fritz. If Tulane misses on bowl eligibility and doesn't beat any of those teams, the argument could legitimately be made that Tulane isn't making progress under Fritz, which would surprising given that Fritz was hired for his reputation for causing programs to turnaround.
We agree it would show progress. How much depends on what those teams look like next year. Again I responded to your claim of those being HUGE wins. I just don't think next years versions of those teams will put wins against them as huge.