Travis Jewett to be new Tulane baseball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Andrew Lopez ‏@_Andrew_Lopez 37m37 minutes ago
Jewett: At TU baseball, I welcome the opportunity to be front porch of the athletics program. #Tulane
Looks like Coach Jewett has been reading our board! Let's hear it for that "front porch"! :D :D

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TXWave88
Surge

Is it normal for the President of the University to be part of a press conference announcing a new baseball coach? Just curious if that is normal practice at other Universities.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TXWave88 wrote:Is it normal for the President of the University to be part of a press conference announcing a new baseball coach? Just curious if that is normal practice at other Universities.
At Tulane, Baseball HC is the third or fourth most important Head Coaching position. As Fitts pointed out, the Tulane Community really supports baseball. I'm happy he was there, and would much rather have a pro-active President than one that doesn't give a hoot.

Also, I think Troy Dannen went out of his way to try to mend some bridges by repeatedly thanking Tulane Alumni AND Tulane Baseball Alumni. Whenever I see an event that this Athletics Department puts on, it reminds me of how different things are than they were under Rick Dickson.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TXWave88
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
TXWave88 wrote:Is it normal for the President of the University to be part of a press conference announcing a new baseball coach? Just curious if that is normal practice at other Universities.
At Tulane, Baseball HC is the third or fourth most important Head Coaching position. As Fitts pointed out, the Tulane Community really supports baseball. I'm happy he was there, and would much rather have a pro-active President than one that doesn't give a hoot.

Also, I think Troy Dannen went out of his way to try to mend some bridges by repeatedly thanking Tulane Alumni AND Tulane Baseball Alumni. Whenever I see an event that this Athletics Department puts on, it reminds me of how different things are than they were under Rick Dickson.
I am glad that President Fitts was present and spoke. I am glad that he genuinely gets excited for Athletics. I think he gets it and glad that he wants to be a part of it.
Jaxwave
Swell

Very impressive.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Think about the baseball coach's salary. Then compare that to the salaries of other Tulane employees. This is a high profile employee, one of the more important hires for the university, so yeah a president should be there especially at a university trying to undo the damage from previous presidents who made it clear athletics were not a priority.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:One thing I have to say is that this is another Coach that is someone I'd be happy to have coaching my sons. The common thread of Dannen's new hires is that they all come off as guys with high integrity and family values, while understanding that we are expecting more wins than losses.

When was the last time we had a new hire Coach talk about winning national championships?

ROLL WAVE!!!
Impressive guy. Dannen can pick em.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I also noticed how Troy reached out to the Baseball Alumni specifically to mend fences. Class act, as usual.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Wow, Travis Jewett is a very big man! He made Troy Dannen look small!
Very big. Build like a DE.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

New turf coming but no green monster in the outfield.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:New turf coming but no green monster in the outfield.
Even better would be to return to grass and dirt field; very happy to hear that we'll not have a cheap Yankee HR porch.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Did anyone attending the announcement catch a glimpse of the renovations at the Wilson Ctr ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

I'm also very impressed as usual with Dannen's latest hire. I posted several weeks ago that with Pierce leaving, Tulane could end up with a better coach. Coach Jewett appears to be a high energy guy with a big, passionate personality. I could see him easily putting together a recruiting class much better than #48 in the nation. Roll Wave!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WINNING- It's in his DNA :

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... a2a6f.html

Gotta love the guy. He's going to get it done. Go get 'em TJ.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

We have a great new coach much better than traitor Pierce.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:WINNING- It's in his DNA :

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... a2a6f.html

Gotta love the guy. He's going to get it done. Go get 'em TJ.
To me, this is what tells me we've hired the right people.
Jewett’s introduction was delayed until Thursday because his oldest son, Tanner, underwent orientation as a student at Tennessee-Chattanooga on Tuesday and Wednesday. Dannen wanted the entire family to attend, so he postponed his own vacation to accommodate them.

Jewett teared up briefly as he addressed the audience at the Glazer Family Club inside Yulman Stadium, saying his wife had urged him not to cry.
JerseyWave
Riptide

“I look forward to getting after it next year,” senior pitcher Corey Merrill said. “A couple of our guys know guys who played for him at Vanderbilt, and they said he was a great personality and just a great all-around guy. He will tell you exactly like it is, and he’s as honest as they get. Especially for a head coach, honesty is everything.”

Possible shot at his former Coach at the end of this quote
Profoundwizard
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:“I look forward to getting after it next year,” senior pitcher Corey Merrill said. “A couple of our guys know guys who played for him at Vanderbilt, and they said he was a great personality and just a great all-around guy. He will tell you exactly like it is, and he’s as honest as they get. Especially for a head coach, honesty is everything.”

I don't know, I think you're reaching on that
Pepper
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:“I look forward to getting after it next year,” senior pitcher Corey Merrill said. “A couple of our guys know guys who played for him at Vanderbilt, and they said he was a great personality and just a great all-around guy. He will tell you exactly like it is, and he’s as honest as they get. Especially for a head coach, honesty is everything.”

Maybe it was RJ. Pure speculation.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Pepper wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Maybe it was RJ. Pure speculation.
RJ was Merrill's coach for about 10 games 3 years ago, so that's even less likely. This doesn't look like a shot at anyone to me
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hard working man:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 03706.html

Getting good coverage with the Advocate.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

I'll say one thing....he sure is an emotional guy and wants to be here. It also seems like the players vetted him a bit and the initial responses were favorable. It sure does look like he's going to be a fit.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Travis will be a terrific head baseball coach at Tulane. He is there for the players and they respond to that. Looks like Dannen is re-organizing coaches and his staff who get it to. The days of self centered, ego driven coaches and administrators are over. They can't keep up. When an administration and the teams have a "do whatever it takes" attitude and credit is spread all around you get a nationally elite department and programs.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:You can watch the intro Press Conference, about to start, here:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Live=3
Thanks for the link. Glad I finally got to see it. He nailed it .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

He did do that. I'll add that on the channel 4 sportscast that night when questioned about the hire he said "if you have popularity in your top 25 of the criteria you have set in the search you usually fail".