Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane is a great baseball job. We have had two successful coaches stay for very extended periods. The program deserves a true national search as many highly qualified coaches will want it. AC and Riser will certainly be in the mix. We can get an experienced and successful HC to come here. AC may certainly be the exception to the rule w/this program and I'm good w/that if we truly do a national search and TD decides after that that he is ready.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane knew about this yesterday. They are already on it. AC has already submitted his resume. Not sure about MR. Tulane needs to act fast. Tulane was RJ's dream job. It's also AC's. Not so much DP.
We will be ok.
Can't wait to play Texas at home this upcoming season!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Tulane knew about this yesterday. They are already on it. AC has already submitted his resume. Not sure about MR. Tulane needs to act fast. Tulane was RJ's dream job. It's also AC's. Not so much DP.
We will be ok.
Agree there are alot of outstanding candidates and TD/BB have shown ability to hire good coaches. Just have to do it again.

Meanwhile I'm headed to the race track to bet on the long shots.....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Tulane knew about this yesterday. They are already on it. AC has already submitted his resume. Not sure about MR. Tulane needs to act fast. Tulane was RJ's dream job. It's also AC's. Not so much DP.
We will be ok.
Agree there are alot of outstanding candidates and TD/BB have shown ability to hire good coaches. Just have to do it again.

Meanwhile I'm headed to the race track to bet on the long shots.....
Good Luck! I'm going to Beau Rivage for lunch!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

We will be ok.
I agree, Tulane will have zero problems hiring a Coach... TD actually has been on this for two weeks and the "short list" is already in high gear...Tulane will have a coach before the end of next week ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dpm wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:We will be ok.
AMEN, to this!!
sader24
Tsunami

Hire Cannizaro and be done with it. There is no need for a search. Cannizaro is the real deal and he wants to be here. He is Tulane Baseball. Very rarely is it that easy but in this case it is. Every LSU Baseball die hard I know is hoping we don't hire him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:Hire Cannizaro and be done with it. There is no need for a search. Cannizaro is the real deal and he wants to be here. He is Tulane Baseball. Very rarely is it that easy but in this case it is. Every LSU Baseball die hard I know is hoping we don't hire him.
I agree, but would want to make it clear to Cannizaro that the job has changed since he left. Expectations are higher, and accountability is enforced. That being said, he has a competent AD and the BOA is on board for winning athletics.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

Dannen will go through his process and I respect that. AC will be in the mix as will several qualified others. Thing about Andy, he will knock dannens socks off in his interview. I think TD will love him.
sader24
Tsunami

When he left we Had just went to the College World Series. I'm sure his expectations are higher than ours, the guy has been living and breathing Tulane Baseball since he was a kid and I'm 100% positive he'll hold himself more accountable than any of us ever will. This is a Rich Rod/ Lindy Infante situation except this guy is 100% Tulane and it's his dream job.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:When he left we Had just went to the College World Series. I'm sure his expectations are higher than ours, the guy has been living and breathing Tulane Baseball since he was a kid and I'm 100% positive he'll hold himself more accountable than any of us ever will. This is a Rich Rod/ Lindy Infante situation except this guy is 100% Tulane and it's his dream job.
well posted Mr Sader
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:When he left we Had just went to the College World Series. I'm sure his expectations are higher than ours, the guy has been living and breathing Tulane Baseball since he was a kid and I'm 100% positive he'll hold himself more accountable than any of us ever will. This is a Rich Rod/ Lindy Infante situation except this guy is 100% Tulane and it's his dream job.
You're right, Sader, my bad. I was confusing Andy with the former players Rick Jones had on his staff late in his tenure at Tulane. Cannizaro has never coached at Tulane, my mistake.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TURVS71
Swell

I am not convinced that Cannizzaro should be announted and given the job. I know he loves Tulane. I know he played for Tulane but that shouldn't simply qualify him for the job. Same for Matt Riser. Have either one of them been actively pursued for other head-coaching jobs? Not trying to start a controversy here I just don't think that it has to be a ex-Tulane player coaching this team. Want the best for the program, want somebody who is going to stay for quite some time and not jump at the first opportunity.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Rick Jones on today 6-29-16 between 4- 6 ...and TD on tomorrow 6-30-16 between 4 - 6

http://www.kaarejohnson.com/iheart-feed/
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Hire Cannizaro and be done with it. There is no need for a search. Cannizaro is the real deal and he wants to be here. He is Tulane Baseball. Very rarely is it that easy but in this case it is. Every LSU Baseball die hard I know is hoping we don't hire him.
Yep.
Greenanyway
Ripple

This is a very interesting situation. TD's searches and ultimate choices in Fritz and Dunleavy appear to be solid, considering the prior state of both programs. Baseball is a little different in that the program has a more successful, relatively recent successful track record to build off of. With that said, TD should evaluate all aspects of tangible and intangible talent of all potential candidates. I think that the baseball program is relatively close to becoming (again) a desirable long term coaching position, whereas football and basketball are still pretty far off. "Tangibly" if head coaching experience is tantamount to the choice, then AC is obviously out. If that is the case, then I think that Riser may be out as well. While Riser would be a good coach, odds are that a national search could very well yield a better choice. "Intangibly" we would be hard pressed to find a better fit than AC. Anyway, it's unusually nice to be in this position.
JerseyWave
Riptide

My only question for Cannizarro would be who does he have in mind for his staff.
wave97
Swell

Greenanyway wrote:This is a very interesting situation. TD's searches and ultimate choices in Fritz and Dunleavy appear to be solid, considering the prior state of both programs. Baseball is a little different in that the program has a more successful, relatively recent successful track record to build off of. With that said, TD should evaluate all aspects of tangible and intangible talent of all potential candidates. I think that the baseball program is relatively close to becoming (again) a desirable long term coaching position, whereas football and basketball are still pretty far off. "Tangibly" if head coaching experience is tantamount to the choice, then AC is obviously out. If that is the case, then I think that Riser may be out as well. While Riser would be a good coach, odds are that a national search could very well yield a better choice. "Intangibly" we would be hard pressed to find a better fit than AC. Anyway, it's unusually nice to be in this position.
That's exactly how Hindman Wall lost Lindy Infante. THE SINGLE BIGGEST HIRING SNAFU IN TULANE ATHLETICS HISTORY. Yes, it was more damaging than Scott Cowen/Sandy Barbour & RR.
capwave
High Tide

Andy Cannizaro has been a baseball junkie his entire life. His dad coached at Tulane, he played at Tulane and in the majors. He has been a major league scout for the Yankees and an assistant coach at LSU. He may not have the head coaching experience that some desire, but we will not find anyone who has more energy, drive and love for Tulane than he has. His expectations will be to win a national championship, nothing less. I wholeheartedly believe, he is not only the best choice, but should be the only choice.
Pepper
Swell

As I said in the other thread: Scott Berry at USM and Mark Calvi from USA have built lesser programs than ours into perennial winners. I'd also make a run at Oregon's George Horton. He's an established coach and I think Tulane is a better baseball job than Oregon. If I had to go the asst coach route, Miami's Gino Dimare. He's the best recruiter in the business
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote:As I said in the other thread: Scott Berry at USM and Mark Calvi from USA have built lesser programs than ours into perennial winners. I'd also make a run at Oregon's George Horton. He's an established coach and I think Tulane is a better baseball job than Oregon. If I had to go the asst coach route, Miami's Gino Dimare. He's the best recruiter in the business
Forget the Oregon coach...move from Eugene OR to NOLA ?...give up all that clean air, tall trees and Nike Money ....ya gotta be kidding.... Tulane would have tuff time getting a coach from Washington State, much less Oregon to come to NOLA

The other names are very viable and have southern connections
Pepper
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Pepper wrote:As I said in the other thread: Scott Berry at USM and Mark Calvi from USA have built lesser programs than ours into perennial winners. I'd also make a run at Oregon's George Horton. He's an established coach and I think Tulane is a better baseball job than Oregon. If I had to go the asst coach route, Miami's Gino Dimare. He's the best recruiter in the business
Forget the Oregon coach...move from Eugene OR to NOLA ?...give up all that clean air, tall trees and Nike Money ....ya gotta be kidding.... Tulane would have tuff time getting a coach from Washington State, much less Oregon to come to NOLA

The other names are very viable and have southern connections
Horton is a big name in college baseball but a small fish at Oregon. Not likely we could land him but I sure ask.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
torbida
Surge

AC is the obvious choice and I hope he gets it.
DrBox
Riptide

USM and USA have long histories of playing winning baseball. Berry has made 3 regionals in 7 years; Calvi has made 2 in 5 years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I'm kidding...I think...Skip Bertman, get out of that rocking chair Tulane purchased for you and back in the dugout !!!