Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:Remembering every player drafted ahead of you also seems like something someone with thin skin would do but it definitely doesn't indicate a guy doesn't have what it takes
Completely different. That guy uses it as motivation. He doesn't give up.
And maybe Andy will use this as motivation to do better at some other school to show us what we missed

winwave
Top of the WAVE

And then come back if the job opens. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:And then come back if the job opens. :mrgreen:

Certainly possible as well, I won't claim to know how he feels or how he will feel in the future.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:

Certainly possible as well, I won't claim to know how he feels or how he will feel in the future.
After the pain wears off, and time numbs it all, Andy Cannizaro may very well apply for the HC job again in the future. Let's say perhaps, that he takes a HC job in the next year or two at UL-X (or a Sunbelt team, or something similar). Four years from now, with three successful seasons as a HC, the Tulane job opens. Wouldn't Andy be interested then? Would we be interested after his family insulted Tulane and Troy Dannen when he wasn't hired?

All I know is that in the corporate word, bad mouthing a former employer is only second to bad mouthing one that didn't hire you.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

After the pain wears off, and time numbs it all, Andy Cannizaro may very well apply for the HC job again in the future. Let's say perhaps, that he takes a HC job in the next year or two at UL-X (or a Sunbelt team, or something similar). Four years from now, with three successful seasons as a HC, the Tulane job opens. Wouldn't Andy be interested then? Would we be interested after his family insulted Tulane and Troy Dannen when he wasn't hired?

All I know is that in the corporate word, bad mouthing a former employer is only second to bad mouthing one that didn't hire you.
Andy didn't bad mouth anyone. Garrett told Dannen he picked the wrong guy. Garrett is grown up, Andy isn't responsible for his tweets
nawlinspete
Riptide

Agree with RobertM, not the right person for the job if he allows his family to do his dirty work. If Andy is that upset he should have privately communicated with Troy Dannen and learned from the experience. I am sure Dannen would have been up front and would have fully explained his reasoning even though he owed no explanation to Andy. AD's talk among themselves and Dannen could have been very helpful in Andy's career by accepting Dannen's decision and learning from it, impressing Dannen even more in the process. But it does not sound as if Cannizaro has learned to "Keep Calm."
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't say Andy had anything to do with what his family did.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Pepper
Swell

All of this is crap is useless.

We have hired a solid assistant coach to be our HC. I believe he will be a solid HC.

Andy Cannizaro is a solid asst coach who will be a solid HC on day.

I hope we do not not have to interview AC in the next few years because that would mean our coach left for greener pastures or was a flop.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying I think all of us at one time or another didn't get a job, promotion or position we wanted. It's called life and that's what sports teaches us about handling winning & losing. I understand the brother's feelings. These things affect the family members more than the individual himself.

Look forward to him naming his staff and fall ball.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I didn't say Andy had anything to do with what his family did.
Garret was upset when Rick Jones moved him to 3rd and put Middelton at short
Garret didn't say anything when he got drafted and he was moved to second
He obviously had an axe to grind and probably regrets the tweet he sent
Profoundwizard
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I didn't say Andy had anything to do with what his family did.
Garret was upset when Rick Jones moved him to 3rd and put Middelton at short
Garret didn't say anything when he got drafted and he was moved to second
He obviously had an axe to grind and probably regrets the tweet he sent
What relevance does any of that have?
puffy
Surge

The thing about the tweet and subsequent thread was that he addressed it directly to Dannen's Twitter account.

If the tweet was simply "Hey, it sucks my brother didn't get the job, he's really disappointed", message delivered and everyone moves on.

Instead, it was direct public message effectively calling out Dannen for making a mistake and not doing his job.

That's potentially more damaging for AC's future prospects with Tulane (and other schools looking to hire) than Tulane's future prospects with AC. It wouldn't surprise me if Dannen saw that tweet and thought to himself, "Wow, I'm really glad I went with who I went with".

And listen, I would've been fine if AC got the job. Nothing wrong with a fellow alum and former great getting one of the plum HC jobs in the country. But on paper, it was a no brainer to go with Jewett. The burden on proof now is on AC to show that Tulane made a mistake; the question is how many mid to high level D1 schools would seriously consider AC in the next 3-5 years because of his inexperience?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Which was my point earlier. If Manieri retired tomorrow, would they hire AC as their head coach?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

With a $3m contract buyout he is not bolting to the SEC after 24 months.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Which was my point earlier. If Manieri retired tomorrow, would they hire AC as their head coach?
Joe Alleva is the Rick Dickson of the SEC. So who knows? ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:Which was my point earlier. If Manieri retired tomorrow, would they hire AC as their head coach?
I think the only realistic scenario would be if Mainieri decided to up and leave a week before the season started, and AC would be considered for the interim job and given a season to show what he can do. That being said, I don't think LSU automatically gives him that chance in that scenario.
puffy
Surge

winwave wrote:A shame this took place:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GmanCannizar ... 5731734530
It appears that the tweet has either been deleted, or the account has been made private.
Profoundwizard
Swell

puffy wrote:The thing about the tweet and subsequent thread was that he addressed it directly to Dannen's Twitter account.

If the tweet was simply "Hey, it sucks my brother didn't get the job, he's really disappointed", message delivered and everyone moves on.

Instead, it was direct public message effectively calling out Dannen for making a mistake and not doing his job.

That's potentially more damaging for AC's future prospects with Tulane (and other schools looking to hire) than Tulane's future prospects with AC. It wouldn't surprise me if Dannen saw that tweet and thought to himself, "Wow, I'm really glad I went with who I went with".

And listen, I would've been fine if AC got the job. Nothing wrong with a fellow alum and former great getting one of the plum HC jobs in the country. But on paper, it was a no brainer to go with Jewett. The burden on proof now is on AC to show that Tulane made a mistake; the question is how many mid to high level D1 schools would seriously consider AC in the next 3-5 years because of his inexperience?
If an AD doesn't hire or consider hiring a guy who he otherwise thinks would be good for the job, because of a tweet his family member made, then that's not an AD I want running my program.
Profoundwizard
Swell

This year, probably not. Couple years down the line it might be a good possibility. The thing is even in baseball the lsu job is a lot better than the Tulane job. LSU can wait until he's got some more experience then come back and get him later. We may not have that luxury. If he becomes what a lot of people think he can it could be too late for us
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just saw this on the other board and it's a complete misstatement. I've haven't spoken to Andy or anyone in his family in over a year. I thought it was important to clear it up.
I said I was disappointed and suggested that we not get the chance to hire him again only because he'll probably end up in a higher profile job. It's amazing how rumors can start when misinformation is spread. Andy did not indicate that to me, that was my opinion only.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Here are some facts about the search:

Facts: Riser tried to get the La. Tech job and didn't land it. That's from the AD's office at SELA. TD called their AD and asked for permission to talk to him even though he didn't need to ask for permission. Their AD really appreciated his professionalism. That's also from their AD's office. Matt just isn't ready yet. He needs to get another job and he knows it as evidenced by his attempt to get the Tech job. He needs to show he will win anywhere he goes. He applied last time and he will apply next time. He didn't pull out. This is his dream job.

Facts:
Andy didn't get a sniff big or little school at this point. He is not ready. He has to leave LSU after next year even if it's for an assistants job elsewhere so that he can show that he can do it wherever he goes. He did not pull out. His brothers tweets saying TD made the wrong choice and saying See ya Tulane were uncalled for and show how bad he and they want it. They owe TD and Tulane an apology. He wants this as it is his dream job. He will apply again.

We got a good coach. Relax and enjoy it.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!

The Cannizaro's do not owe someone who has been at Tulane a couple of months an f'n apology. Give me a break. That is ridiculous.
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote:He will.
Not from what I hear.
sader24
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:
winwave wrote:He will.
Ok man yea you know.
Rich Rod got burned by Tulane worse than anyone. He came back years later for an interview with Cow/Dick. Who knows, if Arizona wasn't on him at the time he might accepted.

He was never going to take the Tulane job again.
sader24
Tsunami

puffy wrote:

AC may not reapply for the job, but after reading that Twitter feed, it stands to reason Tulane may think twice before approaching him again in the future as well.

B/c of tweets?? Jesus Christ ya'll are ridiculous.
sader24
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:Dannen hired a Football Coach with two decades as a successful Head Coach,
hired a Basketball Coach with 17 years as a Head Coach in the NBA,
AC = two years as an assistant coach

Big difference. Dannen didn't even owe him an interview. Keep grinding and build up the resume.
And every basketball person I talk to thinks the basketball hire was insane.
sader24
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:
puffy wrote:

AC may not reapply for the job, but after reading that Twitter feed, it stands to reason Tulane might not approach him again either in the future.
Would not surprise me. I have spoken to Andy and his family over the past 12-24 hours. Andy will have other opportunities and he knows that. His future will not be at Tulane now or ever no matter what the circumstance.

Again, we got a great coach that will continue to build on what Pierce had done here.
The twitter posts would, IMHO, remove him from future considerations. Tulane hired a MORE QUALIFIED applicant. The only ones that look foolish in the exchange is the Cannizaro brothers. CYA to that family, as far as I'm concerned. As someone else pointed out, if LSU faced a coaching search today, they wouldn't hand the job to Andy. That means he's not ready.

And I really wanted him to get the job, too. Good luck in the future, Andy...too bad your brothers couldn't keep their disappointment in check.

That's some of the dumbest BS I've ever read. He's probably the greatest Tulane baseball player in history and you just removed him from future considerations b/c his brother got upset of f'n twitter. Grow up. Their family has been full blown Tulane Baseball long before you probably knew what Tulane Baseball was. Some of you are completely off the reservation.