Unfair

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TU23
High Tide

As a lifelong TU fan, alumnus, and letterman, I'm glad that we finally have an AD who is doing what it takes to win. Rick Dickson was a terrible AD and many Of the athletes didn't respect him because frankly, he didn't take the time to get to know many of them.

To me, this whole thing is ridiculous. People can flame Dannen if they want, but this whole thing started yesterday morning in a report citing unnamed sources. He was always getting fired and should've been fired last year. Everyone has known this was going to happen, players included. To suggest this had any effect on the game is so ridiculous. So we're supposed to believe that our players are letting 3 fans get into their heads during the game because they're telling them that something is on Twitter? Really?

Conroy started off strong with his enthusiasm and spirit and fell victim to what many coaches at Tulane have in the past. He got beaten down, gained a ton of weight and stopped doing a lot of fan outreach. We played a terrible schedule to pad our record and people cared less and less about the program.

There are two big things that killed Conroy early on: failure to bring good, young black assistants to the staff and failure to recruit. The two are intermingled in many ways. Basketball is mostly a black sport. The best players play AAU and the fact is that many young black kids want to play for a coach that looks like them. I mentor a lot of young inner city kids and the harsh truth is many of them don't trust white guys. Maybe not as a head coach but an assistant for sure. Ed brought some white guys from The Citadel. He didn't recruit the AAU circuit and brought in plenty of kids who couldn't play. The turnover year to year was incredible. Fast forward five years and we bring in Williams, White and Wilkins. Shockingly we have the best recruiting class we've had in years. It's not rocket science. And Ed shouldn't get credit for realizing the obvious five years into his job.

Both sides need a break. At this point it really doesn't matter whose fault it is. Just get it done and move on.

RobertM320
Green Wave

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... -ed-conroy
Under Conroy’s watch — spanning four seasons in Conference USA and two in the AAC — Tulane never finished above .500 in conference play and went just 2-51 against conference opponents who finished the season with a winning league record. The Green Wave beat only three teams that reached the NCAA tournament in Conroy’s first five years, and two of them were automatic qualifiers from the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
That pretty much says it all.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:As a lifelong TU fan, alumnus, and letterman, I'm glad that we finally have an AD who is doing what it takes to win. Rick Dickson was a terrible AD and many Of the athletes didn't respect him because frankly, he didn't take the time to get to know many of them.

To me, this whole thing is ridiculous. People can flame Dannen if they want, but this whole thing started yesterday morning in a report citing unnamed sources. He was always getting fired and should've been fired last year. Everyone has known this was going to happen, players included. To suggest this had any effect on the game is so ridiculous. So we're supposed to believe that our players are letting 3 fans get into their heads during the game because they're telling them that something is on Twitter? Really?

Conroy started off strong with his enthusiasm and spirit and fell victim to what many coaches at Tulane have in the past. He got beaten down, gained a ton of weight and stopped doing a lot of fan outreach. We played a terrible schedule to pad our record and people cared less and less about the program.

There are two big things that killed Conroy early on: failure to bring good, young black assistants to the staff and failure to recruit. The two are intermingled in many ways. Basketball is mostly a black sport. The best players play AAU and the fact is that many young black kids want to play for a coach that looks like them. I mentor a lot of young inner city kids and the harsh truth is many of them don't trust white guys. Maybe not as a head coach but an assistant for sure. Ed brought some white guys from The Citadel. He didn't recruit the AAU circuit and brought in plenty of kids who couldn't play. The turnover year to year was incredible. Fast forward five years and we bring in Williams, White and Wilkins. Shockingly we have the best recruiting class we've had in years. It's not rocket science. And Ed shouldn't get credit for realizing the obvious five years into his job.

Both sides need a break. At this point it really doesn't matter whose fault it is. Just get it done and move on.
Good post.
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... -ed-conroy
Under Conroy’s watch — spanning four seasons in Conference USA and two in the AAC — Tulane never finished above .500 in conference play and went just 2-51 against conference opponents who finished the season with a winning league record. The Green Wave beat only three teams that reached the NCAA tournament in Conroy’s first five years, and two of them were automatic qualifiers from the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
And this season we have a F'n losing record vs the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Fire Conroy tonight TD!!!!
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... -ed-conroy
And this season we have a F'n losing record vs the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Fire Conroy tonight TD!!!!
I haven't heard anything official yet but the Advocate said he would be fired this morning.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... -ed-conroy
Dupergreenie
Surge

cubs23n17 wrote:I'm not hiding the fact that I'm a Conroy supporter but Troy Dannen makes his first national blunder with "sources" leaking Tulanes' intention to fire coach Conroy during their tournament efforts? How does this look for a prospect hire? Gee if I go there they may fire me on national television during a game I'm coaching and win with all my family and friends watching!!!! Regardless of how this really played out its just not what Troy Dannen said he was going to do in treating his people with respect.
Shut up you pansy. Conroy needs to be fired and deserves to be. Nothing Troy Dannen has done has been a blunder in any way. You must be related to Conroy if you are queefing like this.
Dupergreenie
Surge

cubs23n17 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Sorry again, but only an @sshole would call himself a Conroy supporter but suggest "the honeymoon is over" for Dannen after 3 months on the job. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I may be an a**hole and made an emotional assumption post but Troy dannens organization allowed/leaked a firing to the kids and coach while they were playing in the conference tournament. And yes I do value Conroy more than Tulane.

I also remember Troy Dannen on. Tv stating that he does not fire coaches doing the right things during the season speaking about Conroy. Last I checked the season is still being played. Hope Troy enjoys the game tomorrow and supporting his athletes and Lou dabneys last chance.
You are smart enough to understand that the media will 'leak' something like a coach being fired after yet another terrible season under a brand new A.D. who came from a school with a good basketball program.... If you don't know this then just do a header off the causeway....
Dupergreenie
Surge

cubs23n17 wrote:
shorebreak wrote:I feel for Conroy or anyone getting canned, but this is really a tempest in a teapot. No sh*t he was getting fired, everyone who pays the slightest attention to the program knew it was coming, including Conroy unless he is completely delusional. And as far as the timing, hopefully it motivates the team and gives him a good send off.

It does call into question the capacity of Tulane to properly handle their department moving forward, if you cannot properly handle the termination of a coach without sending a nationally advertised signal of ineptness how can you expect to attract personnel to "elevate" the program?

Troy better be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I do know Coach Conroy will be respected and classy after the AAC tournament.

I also know Tulane Basketball will still be flying Southwest to their games and paying their head coach less than assistants in the same league. And I also know they would not stand behind coach when he wanted to fight back having his players paid to go to Alabama and San Diego State.
Most basketball program's fly southwest... Or any other quick option to a destination. Tulane will pay its next coach handsomely but it does not negate the fact that Conroy couldn't coach a team of virgins in a whore house.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dupergreenie wrote:
cubs23n17 wrote:
shorebreak wrote:I feel for Conroy or anyone getting canned, but this is really a tempest in a teapot. No sh*t he was getting fired, everyone who pays the slightest attention to the program knew it was coming, including Conroy unless he is completely delusional. And as far as the timing, hopefully it motivates the team and gives him a good send off.

It does call into question the capacity of Tulane to properly handle their department moving forward, if you cannot properly handle the termination of a coach without sending a nationally advertised signal of ineptness how can you expect to attract personnel to "elevate" the program?

Troy better be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I do know Coach Conroy will be respected and classy after the AAC tournament.

I also know Tulane Basketball will still be flying Southwest to their games and paying their head coach less than assistants in the same league. And I also know they would not stand behind coach when he wanted to fight back having his players paid to go to Alabama and San Diego State.
Most basketball program's fly southwest... Or any other quick option to a destination. Tulane will pay its next coach handsomely but it does not negate the fact that Conroy couldn't coach a team of virgins in a whore house.

I would like to know what flying Southwest has to do with anything ?!?!?... Going to Tulsa, Houston, DFW, Orlando, Tampa, Cincy, Memphis is right in Southwest's wheel house ... Delta, United, American no longer have "hubs" located in NOLA...if you would like to donate the use of your corporate jet, I am sure TD will be glad to meet with you
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TXWave88
Surge

Southwest would have been a luxury for us!!