EC thinks RD is still AD

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

“I think you’ll see those results start to pay off next year when we have a third (recruiting) class who knew we are in this league and know what this league means,” Conroy said. “You can’t erase the last 50 years of Cincinnati and Temple and Memphis overnight. I think we are headed towards that.”
Does Conroy even know that those schools were CUSA just a few years ago? That this garbage is spewed by senior employees at the Wilson Center is just disgusting. I was just getting used to seeing competence and goals and accountability when I got this reminder of the Cowen/Dickson era.

I can't believe we just lived through 15 years of this bull$hit. :cens_red: :cens_red: :cens_red:
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Yup, EC is talking like RD is still running things. Thank God that nightmare is over.

EC's quote speaks to the loser mentality culture that RD created. That culture is history and so is EC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote:Yup, EC is talking like RD is still running things. Thank God that nightmare is over.

EC's quote speaks to the loser mentality culture that RD created. That culture is history and so is EC.
memo to EC...you will be in need of a realtor....give me a call and I can suggest several, who are excellent in "relo" situations...also you will be needing a "spin doctor" for you resume...I will make sure you do not use the same one as George O'Leary
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LOL, George O'Leary's spin doctor failed him at Notre Dame, but got him a gig after all the skeletons came out. He won more BCS bowl games at UCF than Notre Dame did in the timeframe following his hiring and demise in South Bend. Actually he won more BCS games than Notre Dame did period! Now, don't go thinking I'm a fan of George O'Leary or a fan of UCF. But I do find it ironic that he won a BCS bowl game and ND never did.

Your point is well taken, 'nut. Conroy is history, and needs a good realtor. I think he's going to find a HC job at a lesser program or land an assistant's job. I hope the new coach keeps Shammond Williams, whom seems to be a decent recruiter.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

I was thinking the same thing when I read Conroy's quotes. He doesn't get it. He's had six years and been given a huge upgrade in facilities and conference affiliation and has had six years to show progress. He should have been fired three years ago when Tarrant, Davis, Cherry and all transferred. Rick Dickson can't save him this time. Dannen has said publicly that his expectations are much higher and I read it as a direct shot at Rick Dickson!

Good riddance Cowen/Dickson/CJ/Conroy/Momic.
DrBox
Riptide

I don't blame EC for this. What's he supposed to say?

I think it's silly to interview a coach asking him whether he thinks he will be fired right before he's going to get fired.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:I don't blame EC for this. What's he supposed to say?

I think it's silly to interview a coach asking him whether he thinks he will be fired right before he's going to get fired.
What every other person with standards and accountability would say. "This isn't good enough and we expect to get better" is far different than "this is the right progress for the process that is unique to Tulane". Those are very different, and anyone repeating Rick Dickson's talking points will not be employed for long in Dannen's Wilson Center.

And thank f*cking god.
DrBox
Riptide

That's what he should have said 3 years ago. It's too late. All he can do is grasp at straws because the end is inevitable.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

He's gone, end of story.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

EC has broken out his old 8 track tape of Ole Blue Eyes himself Frank Sinatra..."and now, the end is near, and I face the final curtain".... I can almost hear EC asking his wife where the "For Sale by Owner" sign is located...

I personally think EC will do one hell of a job in the landscaping biz...he does have "on the job" experience
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

puffy
Surge

“I like where our program is headed,” said Conroy, now 90-102 at Tulane. “I know people want instant success, but it’s a process, especially at a place like Tulane. I like where we are in that process. I feel really confident that we are going to be one of those teams in contention next year.”

“I think you’ll see those results start to pay off next year when we have a third (recruiting) class who knew we are in this league and know what this league means,” Conroy said. “You can’t erase the last 50 years of Cincinnati and Temple and Memphis overnight. I think we are headed towards that.”

Dabney, the first local player Conroy signed, agrees.

“(The program) is in a great spot,” Dabney said. “We have young guys. I feel like next year this team going to be a force to reckon with. We get all of these guys coming back and they all know the system with the great coaching staff they have. I think its going to be a scary team.”
:wallbash: :ugly: :confused: :headbash: :baeh: :lame: :rollsmiley: :shakingno: :sick: :eyebrows: :errorgreen: :ducken: :loony: :explode:
anEngineer
Riptide

I don't see any reason to be beating up on Conroy personally. He did the best he could and it didn't work out. There are too many people on this site that act like he lost games and players on purpose just to spite the fans. He was in a bad situation and wasn't capable of pulling it out. He was hired to win in CUSA and this isn't CUSA anymore. Let's just focus on where we are going from here on.
DrBox
Riptide

anEngineer wrote:I don't see any reason to be beating up on Conroy personally. He did the best he could and it didn't work out. There are too many people on this site that act like he lost games and players on purpose just to spite the fans. He was in a bad situation and wasn't capable of pulling it out. He was hired to win in CUSA and this isn't CUSA anymore. Let's just focus on where we are going from here on.
I agree Conroy worked hard, did his best and there's not point in beating on him.

But this notion that he was "hired to win in CUSA" is the kind of ex AD gibberish we've heard for the last 10+ years.

BTW, he never came close to a winning slate in the C-USA he was hired into.
JerseyWave
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
anEngineer wrote:I don't see any reason to be beating up on Conroy personally. He did the best he could and it didn't work out. There are too many people on this site that act like he lost games and players on purpose just to spite the fans. He was in a bad situation and wasn't capable of pulling it out. He was hired to win in CUSA and this isn't CUSA anymore. Let's just focus on where we are going from here on.
I agree Conroy worked hard, did his best and there's not point in beating on him.

But this notion that he was "hired to win in CUSA" is the kind of ex AD gibberish we've heard for the last 10+ years.

BTW, he never came close to a winning slate in the C-USA he was hired into.
He should have been hired to get Tulane into the NCAA tournament. Clearly, Rick Dickson never held him to that standard and Conroy has never come close to achieving the goal that 99% of the people involved with college basketball strive for.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I don't think anyone is saying that. This is sports, and everyone who does not work under Rick Dickson judges by wins and losses.

Elsewhere, when you see coaches coming off a last place finish they'll say something like "well that's not good enough and this is a bottom line business, so I won't worry about job security but I'll keep doing the best I can to get this program/team where it should be and hopefully we'll get to try again to get this right."

Conroy is saying something quite different, and it's very clear that it comes from the Dickson playbook. He's not saying that finishing in last place isn't good enough. He's saying "it's a process and we're exactly where we are supposed to be in the process, which is last place."

It's outrageous and appalling on numerous levels and a product of the culture that Dannen will spend all his time trying to eradicate.

Imagine what Dannen could accomplish if he wasn't spending all his time trying to clean up Dickson's mess?
TU23
High Tide

"It's a process" is only acceptable in the first year of a rebuild, not the 5th or 6th. And that quote also better come after a quote like this..."Our record is completely unacceptable, and we've got to take a long look in the mirror to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Good news is we have an AD that tells it like it is now. Clearly he's unimpressed with Conroy and company and changes will be made right after the final horn sounds on our season.