We don't want Scott Sidwell

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:43 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:21 pm If Goff was fired, he just happened to have a job waiting for him at Northwestern. Goff has also put NW athletic fundraising into high gear. He has led the charge in increasing annual athletic contributions from $9MM/year to $70MM/Year. NW has raised almost $500MM for athletics since he got there. How much has Tulane raised since 2012?
Dickson raised over $200million but his coaching hires were a disaster.
Per his bio on Tulsa’s website
From 2011 to 2016, Dickson raised $200 million toward the investments in new and restored on-campus athletic facilities.

Yulman Stadium: The construction of a state-of-the-art stadium on Tulane’s campus has brought Green Wave football back to uptown New Orleans after 40 years of off-campus play. Yulman Stadium, with a capacity of 30,000 spectators, has created a home-field environment for the team while strengthening the student experience at Tulane.
The Hertz Center: Dedicated in fall 2011 as the new practice facility for the Tulane’s men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball programs.
Devlin Fieldhouse: One of the historic venues in college basketball underwent a transformation with the restoration and renaming of the 81-year-old building that has been home to Green Wave basketball and volleyball teams. Devlin Fieldhouse officially opened on Nov. 9, 2012.
Greer Field at Turchin Stadium: The brand new facility opened in 2008 and was built for a cost of $14.5 million. With a capacity of 5,000, the pro-style Greer Field at Turchin Stadium features a grandstand design of structural steel with private suites, an open-air club suite, a partially covered seating area and a new press box.
And how much of that did Goff help raise? Of course Goff, at NW, more than doubled Dickson's fundraising in half the time span. But more relevant, is the fact that we currently have an AD who can't raise squat, and is 1 for 3, with the jury still being out on one hire (Hunter). I suspect Goff could easily outperform Dannen. But who says we'll have a shot at Goff, as he may well get the KU job.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:21 pm If Goff was fired, he just happened to have a job waiting for him at Northwestern. Goff has also put NW athletic fundraising into high gear. He has led the charge in increasing annual athletic contributions from $9MM/year to $70MM/Year. NW has raised almost $500MM for athletics since he got there. How much has Tulane raised since 2012?
From 2011 to 2016, Dickson raised $200 million toward the investments in new and restored on-campus athletic facilities.

Yulman Stadium: The construction of a state-of-the-art stadium on Tulane’s campus has brought Green Wave football back to uptown New Orleans after 40 years of off-campus play. Yulman Stadium, with a capacity of 30,000 spectators, has created a home-field environment for the team while strengthening the student experience at Tulane.
The Hertz Center: Dedicated in fall 2011 as the new practice facility for the Tulane’s men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball programs.
Devlin Fieldhouse: One of the historic venues in college basketball underwent a transformation with the restoration and renaming of the 81-year-old building that has been home to Green Wave basketball and volleyball teams. Devlin Fieldhouse officially opened on Nov. 9, 2012.
Greer Field at Turchin Stadium: The brand new facility opened in 2008 and was built for a cost of $14.5 million. With a capacity of 5,000, the pro-style Greer Field at Turchin Stadium features a grandstand design of structural steel with private suites, an open-air club suite, a partially covered seating area and a new press box.
And how much of that did Goff help raise? Of course Goff, at NW, more than doubled Dickson's fundraising in half the time span. But more relevant, is the fact that we currently have an AD who can't raise squat, and is 1 for 3, with the jury still being out on one hire (Hunter). I suspect Goff could easily outperform Dannen. But who says we'll have a shot at Goff, as he may well get the KU job.
I’d rather have someone fresh not from Tulane. Need to go after new donors. Goff likely going to go after the same people.
ajcalhoun
Swell

If Goff is in the hunt for P5 jobs he's not likely to come here.
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:09 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 pm
I’d rather have someone fresh not from Tulane. Need to go after new donors. Goff likely going to go after the same people.
We’ve had a lot of “fresh and not from Tulane” types. The most recent being Cowen, Dickson, Dannen, Dunleavy, Jewett, and more football and basketball coaches than I can keep track of. Tulane has quite a history of ignoring its own.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Goff is interesting with his success at northwestern who we see as a peer university. Someone from Vandy/Baylor/SMU would
Be ideal. But It would be interested to bring someone from the wealthy Texas schools (UT/T A &M)) or west coast private schools ( (USC) in for fundraising.
nawlinspete
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm If Goff is in the hunt for P5 jobs he's not likely to come here.
And his fundraising in a Chicago B1G school will not follow him here .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 am
ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm If Goff is in the hunt for P5 jobs he's not likely to come here.
He increased annual athletic fundraising at NW from $8MM per year to an average of $70MM per year. So he obviously did something beyond NW just being a Chicago BIG10. Individual effort does make a difference.
Show Me
Tsunami

Goff was a Rick Dickson hire. I would not trust him on coaching hires.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 am Goff was a Rick Dickson hire. I would not trust him on coaching hires.
And we’re doing so well right now with our hires. 🤪🤪
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This is a concept being overlooked in the discussion. Northwestern athletics is in another stratosphere, and it was there before they hired Goff and it will still be there after Goff.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pm
This is a concept being overlooked in the discussion. Northwestern athletics is in another stratosphere, and it was there before they hired Goff and it will still be there after Goff.
It wasn’t at $70MM per year before Goff got there, they were drifting at $8MM per year. I’m a strong supporter of Travis in large part because he was the first, and only, representative from Tulane’s athletic dept. that actually visited my office and asked for more financial support. Nobody before, nor since, has done that. Travis doesn’t concern himself with self promotion, PR events or NCAA committees, he just puts in the leg work day to day to raise money. So I’m hardly surprised he increased NW’s annual giving rate by over 31% CAGR over 8 years. No doubt NW has a better and more concentrated base to start with, but Goff would almost certainly improve Tulane’s athletic fundraising from its current base of almost zero.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 am

It wasn’t at $70MM per year before Goff got there, they were drifting at $8MM per year. I’m a strong supporter of Travis in large part because he was the first, and only, representative from Tulane’s athletic dept. that actually visited my office and asked for more financial support. Nobody before, nor since, has done that. Travis doesn’t concern himself with self promotion, PR events or NCAA committees, he just puts in the leg work day to day to raise money. So I’m hardly surprised he increased NW’s annual giving rate by over 31% CAGR over 8 years. No doubt NW has a better and more concentrated base to start with, but Goff would almost certainly improve Tulane’s athletic fundraising from its current base of almost zero.
Excellent post. I hadn’t heard that before but that’s actually how you do it to get real financial results.
I think he’s probably going to get an AD job a some point on a smaller level. I still believe Tulane should shoot for Brian White. I trust his ability to hire great coaches. Fundraising can follow winning.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bump!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Unemployed so he's available.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:49 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 am

Excellent post. I hadn’t heard that before but that’s actually how you do it to get real financial results.
I think he’s probably going to get an AD job a some point on a smaller level. I still believe Tulane should shoot for Brian White. I trust his ability to hire great coaches. Fundraising can follow winning.
Interesting to read this prediction I had. Goff got a nice AD job (Kansas) and Brian White went to FAU as their AD.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981