Great Video moments in Tulane Football History

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Check your PM.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

Thanks for the post, Tulane72. You're a part of Tulane history that is being thrown away on purpose. Roll Wave!!
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Tulane72 wrote:My name is Dennis Delaney. In this game I was number 72 on the second team. We scored both touchdowns. In reality without the first team we probably wouldn't have scored. Because of the 2 offense system LSU couldn't get use to the different players. The second team scored almost 40% of the points while playing a third of the time. We were given 4 plays the first half and 4 the second half. If we had a good drive or scored we would play the next series. So the only time I only played 8 plays a game was Kentucky, Maryland and Houston. Ellender use this system in 1972 and 1973. In 1974 he didn't. I was surprized to see that there was an interest in this game or the 1973 team. We have never been honor yet the Liberty Bowl Team was honored twice. I not bitter but I wish they would have honored some of my teammates before they died. It's too late for Rusty Chambers, David Griener and Alan Baker but without them we wouldn't have won. Griener with a cast on his arm intercepted two pass. Rusty made some key tackle on Tulane's side of the field. Alan was next to me when we opened up the hole that Doug Bynum ran through. Of course on that play everyone on the line blocked their man. Cameron Gaston was on the other side. The guard on his left side was Doug Lawrence (we called him frogman because he didn't have an ass) but he cut off the backside linebacker. Terry Looney was at his best that season and a nice guy that season and Doug Bynum was the best back that Tulane had in years he could pick a hole. On the long run I was supposed to block Steve Cassidy inside but he got off the line so quick I had to take him out. No problems for Bynum he could find a hole and not run over his lineman like some others backs we had. We also didn't have him in that game because Ellender kick him off the team right before the Georgia Tech game. At the time we were 5-0 and Doug have run over 100 yards 4 games in a row. Anyway I'm glad somebody cared about that team
Like the other posts on this thread, for those of us who were in the stands for the '72, '73 and '74 seasons, those teams forever live in our hearts as the pinnacle of Tulane football, in the post WW II era. I remember when the news broke that Bynum had been suspended, or kicked off the team, as I remember it, he had a few too many brews and mooned somebody--seems pretty tame when compared to what goes on today.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Tulane72
Ripple

To Steve: Thanks for caring about the team you played for by creating this site. Being a Tulane player is of any type is not insignificant. This make you very special. Someone with the balls to be different and not like the BCS status quo.
To RWR: I'm from New Orleans. But I lived in the wilderness of Picayune. I married a Mississippi girl with kids. Not enough money to have a second place in New Orleans. If my wife precedes me than I will return to Paradise before I die otherwise I'll just have to drive there. I wasn't tried to make our team seem better than the 1998 team. I just think the university shouldn't have forgotten someone that put them back on the map.
To TURVS71: I wish my teammates and those of other years would care enough to even go to the games but only a small amount actually attend. David Griener did, Alan Baker did (he lived in Mobile) Charles Hall does, Terrance Jones does, the Wenzel brothers and the various members of the T Club. But don't count on a lot even coming to games. The only time I've even seem a Foley (four played) was the time they honored the Liberty Bowl team (Rob Foley) and once at a Tulane Southern Miss game I saw, my quarterback ,Steve Foley who was trying to get a free ticket to the game while he was playing for Denver. I gave him my extra ticket. I, of course, told him that Denver didn't pay him enough money. But the Jesuit boys were always a little cheap.
To Houstonwave: I one of the Captains of the Georgia Tech game on TV. Foley did break his leg and everything changed for the season. We did lose the rest of the season except for the Vanderbilt game which was stolen like the Miami game. When they went to a two point play the receiver went out of the back of the end zone and came back in to make the play. But as far as the rest of the season we had a meeting with Ellender as players and told Ellender that with the lose of Foley we needed to change our offensive scheme. We wanted something that would fit Looney because he didn't run. We felt our offense play was obvious to other teams. He told us that it worked in the past and nothing was wrong with his offense. I knew we were doomed. Ellender depended too much on the defense and didn't worry about he pathetic offensive coaches. One day I've have to tell you how much hell Don Jackson put me through.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Thanks for caring Tulane72.

For many ball players, college is just another 4 years of being on a team and playing for your school. After graduation, you gradually move on from the experiences and comradery. Only those players who previously had a strong connection with the school, or who were in the select few to form one during their playing days, actually stick around later in life to support their Alma Mater.

Tulane needs as many of these players AND FANS as possible if it is ever to return to prominence.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Tulane72
Ripple

Steve,

My connection to Tulane was not Tulane itself. Until 1 month before I sign with Tulane I was going to Notre Dame. This is why I went to Holy Cross. I boought the bullshit. My connection to Tulane is New Orleans. When Notre Dame ask my coach for film of my games I was insulted. Only a month before I sat in front of Bear Bryant and was ask to sign by the offensive line coach Jet Rogers when I walked out of the office. I figured that I didn't need any school that could sent a coach to see me. I realized that this is how I would be treated at Notre Dame if I went there. So what happens Tulane wins the Liberty Bowl and I start thinking that this might be an opportunity to do something for my city not Tulane. I goal became to win a National Championship at Tulane. I wasn't looking for personal success my goal was National Success for New Orleans. My soul and my blood is New Orleans, my location is Mississippi. I should have worked on many money so I could have a place in New Orleans. Anyway in my past e-mails I realized that I didn't stress the positive of the 1973 game. For the team the win in 1973 started in 1972. No one on the 1972 team felt that we couldn't win agains LSU. Even our coaches and one of them in 1972 was an former LSU player felt we could beat them. We almost did. When we walked off the field in 1972 we all shouted that they won't win next year. This wasn't a surprize to us. We started the 1972 season beating Boston College and Georgia, losing to Michigan, beating Pittsburgh, fifth down in Miami, beating West Virginia at half to only lose in the second half. Lost to Georgia Tech after our two field goals kicker missed 7 field goals. They we beat Kentucky, Ohio and Navy before losing to LSU. Without the Miami theft we were 7-4 one foot from 8-3. So this was a good team. In 1973 we were 6-0 before Kentucky beat us, then we won 2 other games before Maryland beat us. So went we walked on the field in 1973 against LSU we were a good team. I knew we were going to win so much that I got two autograph football and I had everyone including the freshmen team sign the footballs. I never did this before or after. The night before the game after we went to the movies we heard that I freshmen team beat LSU in Baton Rouge. Now our freshmen team only won two games. LSU's freshmen team won all of their by an average of about 40 points. So I saw this as a sign especially when my neighborhood friend was played at Holy Cross scored the winning touchdown. He was just a walkon that could only affort one semeter. When my brothers called my up about how we were going to do I told them to bet their house we were going to win. But I knew this before I even thought of going to Tulane. LSU was recruiting me and invited me to the LSU-Ole Miss game. Archie Manning was playing with the metal in his arm. Before the game all recruit we sent to Charles Mac's office to have a one on one. Because of my fellow high player telling Mac that I was seeing a lot of Tulane Alums Mac thought I was leaning toward Tulane. He grab me by the belt and he told me that if I go to that school down the river that I would never beat LSU. Never tell a New Orleanians they can't do something. Anyway I thought to myself that although I would probably go to Notre Dame that if for some reason I would end up at Tulane that not only would I be there to beat LSU but I would be on the field for the touchdowns. I thought it would be as a defensive tackle which I was in high school. It ended up that I was on the second team offense but it didn't it was going to happen no matter side I was on. The seed was planted in 1970. Tulane needs to teach it's player and coaches how to plant the seeds of victory way before the game and the season. Anyway the team I played on was like the characters in Animal House but they were never servant to defeat. Remember this was the 1970's, drug, sex and rock and roll. Football players were no different. But despite the 70's players believe in themselves. Did you know that when I went to Alabama and LSU they had a great weigh workout facility. You know what Tulane had. We had some weighs under the stadium. In fact when it rained we would often get wet. But yet we held our own. Winning is about coaches and their ability to bring out the proper mind toughness that produces a winner. Facilities, stadiums, press and even attendance don't win football. It helps but we didn't student support when I first got there and that was after the Liberty Bowl. In fact the first to girl I walked up to and said hello. Told be to have sex with myself Jock. Coming from an all boys high school and no car in high school made this quite a problem. You know the first girl I went out with in college was an LSU girl. In fact I was dating her in 1972 when we almost beat LSU. I even won a purple, gold and white shirt before the game to represent the skin that I was about to take off their ass when we beat them. This was my first LSU game and I wasn't going to be their bitch. Now after the 1973 I didn't have a date so I just went home and didn't celebrate. I had said to myself now we can real football in Louisiana where Tulane and LSU would be competing for the National Championship. I figured it was go for Louisiana and certainly good for New Orleans. I didn't beat LSU 24 years in a row. That not competition I wanted a challenge. When I heard that LSU called time out so they could equal the previous 62-0 I thought that was not very classy. Look my dad graduated from LSU. My cousin played for LSU. Of course in my dad's case he went to Tulane first for medical school but the GI Loan wouldn't pay for Tulane and there wasn't a UNO at the time. Anyway Louisiana should want good football and not one sided football dictated by Baton Rouge. New time I talk about the press when I played.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Happy Anniversary!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:59 pm Happy Anniversary!
for those unable to be there, the films are great, but the electricity that was in the air, U could feel it...we had burgers and beer at Friar Tucks before the game...teh lsu fans there, got an ear full, especially when they started their Tiger Bait chant....after that, they knew all hell was going to break loose ....Fat City was a jumpin place later in the evening, nite and morning !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

Partied all night. That video was with the longtime LSU announcer John Ferguson who was an eminently fair announcer esp during that game. I just wish we had the audio of Bruce Miller our play by play announcer.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:06 pm Partied all night. That video was with the longtime LSU announcer John Ferguson who was an eminently fair announcer esp during that game. I just wish we had the audio of Bruce Miller our play by play announcer.
Yes. That would be incredible.
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

There was a song written by someone local about the '73 game. I have never been able to find in on the internet. Went something like:

"It happened on December First of One Nine Seven Three.
the dreaded Bayou Bengals came down to New Orleeeeens...

Chorus:
"Roll Wave Roll, show 'em where it's at
show the world you're not afraid of them bayou pussy cats,
Roll Wave Roll by, around and through them all,
Drink a toast to the Foley Boys and that Good Ole Charlie Hall!"

How about it TPS? Heard It? Know where we can find it?
TURVS71
Swell

Sat in South End Zone, Row 12 right where BOTH TD's were scored. I was married less than 2 months. After game celebration consisted of 5 hurricanes. Tried to get out of a moving 35 MPH car that I thought was stopped. Was in bed with HANGOVER until that Monday afternoon. Needless to say that my new bride needed many apologies from me but actually she new my passion and how long it had been since a victory as I was born in 1952, 4 years after the last victory! Would do it all again and I will never forget THAT stadium, THAT crowd or the excitement of THAT game. Nothing has come close to this date and I suspect it never will! (BTW, Charlie Hall lived several houses down the street from me and we ALWAYS had something to say about THAT game!!)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:47 pm There was a song written by someone local about the '73 game. I have never been able to find in on the internet. Went something like:

"It happened on December First of One Nine Seven Three.
the dreaded Bayou Bengals came down to New Orleeeeens...

Chorus:
"Roll Wave Roll, show 'em where it's at
show the world you're not afraid of them bayou pussy cats,
Roll Wave Roll by, around and through them all,
Drink a toast to the Foley Boys and that Good Ole Charlie Hall!"

How about it TPS? Heard It? Know where we can find it?
Not only do I remember we had a copy of it and as a kid I’d play that 45 until I wore the grooves out. Lol. I guess it got tossed at some point. Wow great memories. I also had the floppy 45 record they sang about the Dempsey 63 yard FG it was called “The Mighty Boot of Dempsey” It started out “ In nineteen hundred seventy, on the 8th day of November they’ll be a day in Louisianne, New Orleans will remember”
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was dating a Delta Flite attendant...back in the day Delta had a "HUB" in nola.... she was from metro ATL her and her family were huge UGA fans, when she told them she was going to the Tulane-lsu game, they asked her to buy extra game programs and take lots of pictures, seems the game was being touted in Atlanta for some reason.... that was her first time in Tulane Stadium, she was in shock at the size of the place, I had season tickets in the North End Zone, west of the goal post, about 25 rows up...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

one more tidbit...after Fat City we headed to "Atlantis Club Apts" which at teh time was a "singles only, no children" property, the party ended some time Sunday afternoon... I think Atlantis Club is now called "Whitney Place"