2014 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
AugWave
Swell

wavedat wrote:Glad the schedule is this early for once. Glad we don't have an opening week bye. I noticed the G.Tech game has site to be determined. The SELA game has it listed at the POSS. I wish the Cincy game was on that Saturday night. Unless we are undefeated a lot of students and families will not be making it.

There is no reason not to expect at least 8 wins. There is not one unbeatable team on that schedule. UCF lost their star QB who might be the first QB taken in the draft. And no they don't have someone like him waiting in the wings. They lost their star RB who will be hard to replace. We have beaten Duke recently w/Toledo in charge. We always play Rutgers well. If this program is truly making progress 8 wins should be the low bar.
I agree with most of this, but I don't know about that UCF quarterback situation. It isn't like everybody knew Bortles was a potential #1 overall pick before last season. Doubt their next QB will have a season like Bortles did, but hey, you never know... Oh, and did we beat Duke when we played them a couple years ago?

Side note: Toledo offered Bortles as a tight end. :? ouch

I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

AugWave wrote:
wavedat wrote:Glad the schedule is this early for once. Glad we don't have an opening week bye. I noticed the G.Tech game has site to be determined. The SELA game has it listed at the POSS. I wish the Cincy game was on that Saturday night. Unless we are undefeated a lot of students and families will not be making it.

There is no reason not to expect at least 8 wins. There is not one unbeatable team on that schedule. UCF lost their star QB who might be the first QB taken in the draft. And no they don't have someone like him waiting in the wings. They lost their star RB who will be hard to replace. We have beaten Duke recently w/Toledo in charge. We always play Rutgers well. If this program is truly making progress 8 wins should be the low bar.
I agree with most of this, but I don't know about that UCF quarterback situation. It isn't like everybody knew Bortles was a potential #1 overall pick before last season. Doubt their next QB will have a season like Bortles did, but hey, you never know... Oh, and did we beat Duke when we played them a couple years ago?

Last year, we went 7-6 with the easiest schedule in the programs' history.....new QB (or worse, having to rely on last year's QBs), huge question marks at DL and many worries at OL + lost one of our best DBs and have major WR questions. Ya'll are too much. Love the off-season chest pumping.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:

Last year, we went 7-6 with the easiest schedule in the programs' history.....new QB (or worse, having to rely on last year's QBs), huge question marks at DL and many worries at OL + lost one of our best DBs and have major WR questions. Ya'll are too much. Love the off-season chest pumping.
It's not quite offseason chest-pumping. If you read between the lines, WaveDat is making a rhetorical argument, not a prediction. He did the same thing last year.

In Vegas' eyes, we will be pre-season underdogs in at least 8 of these games.
AugWave
Swell

After playing with hurt QBs and a below average OL, I think I'd take my chances in saying we'll be better in those areas this year. DL isn't a huge problem. We lost good players, and others will have to step up. We have good DL coming back. We lost a good DB, we redshirted multiple last year and the rest of our secondary is intact. Not sure how that's "chest pumping".
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

AugWave wrote:After playing with hurt QBs and a below average OL, I think I'd take my chances in saying we'll be better in those areas this year. DL isn't a huge problem. We lost good players, and others will have to step up. We have good DL coming back. We lost a good DB, we redshirted multiple last year and the rest of our secondary is intact. Not sure how that's "chest pumping".

No doubt and I would say 8 wins would be the floor if we were playing last year's schedule in 2014. However, next year is a huge upgrade schedule wise, huge.
AugWave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:After playing with hurt QBs and a below average OL, I think I'd take my chances in saying we'll be better in those areas this year. DL isn't a huge problem. We lost good players, and others will have to step up. We have good DL coming back. We lost a good DB, we redshirted multiple last year and the rest of our secondary is intact. Not sure how that's "chest pumping".

No doubt and I would say 8 wins would be the floor if we were playing last year's schedule in 2014. However, next year is a huge upgrade schedule wise, huge.
Better, yes. HUGE? Nah... I also think we're gonna be better than we were last year, especially on offense (minus injuries).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

AugWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Better, yes. HUGE? Nah... I also think we're gonna be better than we were last year, especially on offense (minus injuries).
We will have to agree to disagree on the difference in schedule quality.
wavedat
Swell

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:

It's not quite offseason chest-pumping. If you read between the lines, WaveDat is making a rhetorical argument, not a prediction. He did the same thing last year.

As usual oug wants the bar as low as possible so he can claim that ALL administration decisions are on the money. I did say 8 wins at a minimum last year and we got 7. The team should be improved this year. The schedule is better but it is not a huge leap by any measure. Please step back and look at at it. UCF will probably be the only team in the preseason top 25. Maybe. It's year 3 and we have people saying it's a success if we have a losing record against this schedule. Step up the expectations or things will never change.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:

As usual oug wants the bar as low as possible so he can claim that ALL administration decisions are on the money. I did say 8 wins at a minimum last year and we got 7. The team should be improved this year. The schedule is better but it is not a huge leap by any measure. Please step back and look at at it. UCF will probably be the only team in the preseason top 25. Maybe. It's year 3 and we have people saying it's a success if we have a losing record against this schedule. Step up the expectations or things will never change.
Right because the expectations of a few anonymous internet posters will make all the difference. Sure Duke won't be top25? The schedule is much better, I stand by that POV. 6 wins would be a success.
JDTulane
Riptide

Expectations of outcome and where you want the bar to be are not necessarily synonymous. Realistic expectations see this as a much tougher schedule (imo) and a cpl more losses than this last year. I don't expect us to go 8-4 w/ possibly a new QB in Lee and a tougher schedule.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we can be a better football team next year and have a worse record - This is a much tougher schedule ... but I'm looking forward to it!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:
OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:

Right because the expectations of a few anonymous internet posters will make all the difference. Sure Duke won't be top25? The schedule is much better, I stand by that POV. 6 wins would be a success.
It has been acknowledged by parents of players that they do in fact read these boards. If they see so little expected of them it can't help the situation. I'm sure you've noticed all the discipline problems we've had. Not a lot of self starters. One of the drawbacks of the local recruiting.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
wavedat
Swell

JDTulane wrote:Expectations of outcome and where you want the bar to be are not necessarily synonymous. Realistic expectations see this as a much tougher schedule (imo) and a cpl more losses than this last year. I don't expect us to go 8-4 w/ possibly a new QB in Lee and a tougher schedule.
Lee will greatly improve our QB play. The schedule is better but it's not a quantum leap. Be positive.
AugWave
Swell

wavedat wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Expectations of outcome and where you want the bar to be are not necessarily synonymous. Realistic expectations see this as a much tougher schedule (imo) and a cpl more losses than this last year. I don't expect us to go 8-4 w/ possibly a new QB in Lee and a tougher schedule.
Lee will greatly improve our QB play. The schedule is better but it's not a quantum leap. Be positive.
I agree. The last four games we lost were due to horrible QB play, PERIOD. We lost to a pretty good ULL team due to horrible QB play. Hell, my grandma could've caught that pick 6 that Montana threw in that bowl game. Smh..

We were better than our 7-5 record last year. QB was a big reason we lost a lot of those games. Imagine how we would look if we had just an average QB back there. I hope Lee gets the playbook down for the fall, Montana can magically get a quicker release or Powell can hit water off a damn boat.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I wonder how much pressure CJ felt to get Montana back into action after his injury. Regardless of what anyone says,
if the father of your starter happens to be the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, it has to affect your decision.

I'm hoping that Lee is as good as everyone expects him to be. The competition can only make everyone better.
DrBox
Riptide

wavedat wrote:
+1
DrBox
Riptide

OUG wrote:
And we were actual Vegas underdogs, at the time the games were played, in 9 of our 12 regular season games last year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let me say this about the schedule issue. Last year was a one time anomaly. We have never played such a weak schedule and hopefully never will again. So please don't use that as a barometer when judging this years schedule. We are back to a CUSA schedule. It's more than manageable.

I think everyone would agree that OL is our biggest concern. Well good QB play makes everybody look better including out OL. Lee has great mechanics w/a quick release. He'll make the WR's look better. Let's be honest last year they had to feel like they were being set up for the kill by the QB's being slow to get the ball there. That won't be the case this year. The TE position will be much improved this year.You have to figure at least 2 of Skinner,Ardoin, Jones and Scott will step up there to give us some solid production. We should be deep at RB.

On D there are questions about the line but I think we'll be ok there. Smart and Redwine will step up. Calvin Thomas will greatly benefit from his RS. Hopefully Welcome decides to live up to his potential. We'll be deep at DE. LB should be fine. Eric Thomas stepped up in the spring and made the most of his opportunity. We have to hope that Williams overcomes the injury bug. A couple of the freshman will jump right in ad give us depth. Townsend and Cooper will surprise people w/their development. The question here to me is that we certainly benefitted from catching a lot of teams w/key offensive players injured last year especially at the QB position. Hopefully the D stands up against better QB's this year.

As to the kicking game we'll all be sweating that out till DiRocco proves himself. Boutte is healthy and might really give us the returner we've been missing.

Way too early for predictions. Let's hope we avoid more injuries and don't suffer any academic casualties. But as aug noted above if we won 7 w/ so little offense we should be able to do much better w/much improved QB play against this schedule.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

I'll take 6 wins and 6 competitive losses right now and be ecstatic, knowing we'll improve even more in 2015.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Was Boutte hurt a lot this past season? He made a play or 2 on offense, but I thought he was a subpar return man.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Was Boutte hurt a lot this past season? He made a play or 2 on offense, but I thought he was a subpar return man.
He's been trying to recover from a knee injury since he got here. He is finally healthy as of this spring practice and his speed showed.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote:Was Boutte hurt a lot this past season? He made a play or 2 on offense, but I thought he was a subpar return man.
Boutte was great at fielding punts, which is no small feat given issues we've had in the past. But I think Teddy Veal will give him a run for the job.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
Boutte was great at fielding punts, which is no small feat given issues we've had in the past. But I think Teddy Veal will give him a run for the job.
That could happen. I was just giving a quick run down above. As I noted in my post on the open practice Veal was back w/Boutte taking turns fielding punts. We need playmakers on offense so the staff may decide to focus on developing him there at this point rather than adding on more responsibility but at some point he could well be the man there.
swampnik
Surge

Good schedule. Be sure to wear a scary costume on the 31st; we've owned Cincy in the recent past.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
wavedat
Swell

OUG wrote:

Nope.

And by the way, while we certainly could beat anyone, that Duke team you're referring to won 10 games last year and nearly beat A&M in the Chick-fil-a bowl.

They're arguably our toughest opponent.
Please take the time to go look at their schedule last season. The ACC is not a great football conference. Not one impressive win there. They got crushed when they played FSU. They made a second half run against an A&M team that didn't play defense last year. If they are our toughest opponent we should be expecting a minimum of 10 wins.