Faculty and non tenured employees unionize

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Greeniegb
Swell

Tulane University non-tenured faculty vote to unionize in push for higher pay, job security

Will this kill or harm athletics, lst athletes want to be paid as employees now I believe this is a chain reaction that other Tulane employees want a piece of the pie. Gibson Hall will definitely be making choices!!! Expenses keep going up in every direction.
1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
4. Push from the academic side for unionizing increasing pay and benefits
5. Portal

How much can the University afford for Academics/Athletics???
Something will have to give expenses rising in all directions for our Private University, donors are limited on what they will contribute and to what?

https://www.nola.com/news/education/tul ... 0cec0.html

TerryD101
Low Tide

NIL has killed athletics. Damn shame.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 am Tulane University non-tenured faculty vote to unionize in push for higher pay, job security

Will this kill or harm athletics, lst athletes want to be paid as employees now I believe this is a chain reaction that other Tulane employees want a piece of the pie. Gibson Hall will definitely be making choices!!! Expenses keep going up in every direction.
1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
5. Portal

Something will have to give expenses rising in all directions for our Private University, donors are limited on what they will contribute and to what?

I would look for a thrid party company are multiple third parties that can do the job's of the "non tendured" and contract with them...and then I would end "tenure"....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
arkhou02
Surge

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 am Tulane University non-tenured faculty vote to unionize in push for higher pay, job security

1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
5. Portal

Remember, Tulane has money. They just don’t want to spend it. If they would have actually spent money, especially in athletics, they would not be in the predicament they are today.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TerryD101 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:16 am NIL has killed athletics. Damn shame.
Absolutely but I’d say “Amateur” Athletics. Anyone still using the term “Student” Athletes is in denial and living in the past.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbissanti
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:28 am

1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
5. Portal

I would look for a thrid party company are multiple third parties that can do the job's of the "non tendured" and contract with them...and then I would end "tenure"....
+1
Greeniegb
Swell

arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:29 am

1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
5. Portal

Remember, Tulane has money. They just don’t want to spend it. If they would have actually spent money, especially in athletics, they would not be in the predicament they are today.
Really, they are spending money all over campus and across the city, just not on what you want them to spend it on, lol

Certainly! Tulane University plays a significant role in New Orleans’ economy. Here are some key points from a recent report:

Overall Impact: Tulane contributes $3.14 billion annually to Louisiana’s economy1.
-Annual Operations Impact: Tulane’s operating budget is $2.3 billion, supporting scholarship, research, and service1.

-Capital Investments Impact: Tulane invests $143 million annually, creating jobs and salaries across Louisiana1.

-Visitor Spending Impact: The university attracts $312 million in spending by visitors, including students, alumni, and patients1.

-Alumni Retention and Wage Premium Impact: Tulane prepares graduates for success, contributing $382 million to the economy1.

-As New Orleans’ largest private employer, Tulane generates 13,934 jobs in the city alone and attracts spending by visiting parents, alumni, patients, and potential students2

https://governmentrelations.tulane.edu/ ... e-le_0.pdf

EXPANDING DOWNTOWN CAMPUS
Tulane is committed to the enhancement of New Orleans through
the expansion of our downtown footprint. This is the future Tulane
– a world-class urban research institution that supports growth,
innovation, community and unity.
$1 BILLION
RECORD-BREAKING INVESTMENTS
73% of gifts are from out of state – fueling the growth of
Tulane and its capacity to impact the local economy

$1 BILLION
PROJECTED CAPITAL EXPENDITURES
DURING THE NEXT 5 YEARS
$16 BILLION
PROJECTED IMPACT DURING
THE NEXT 5 YEAR
NSWaveFan
Ripple

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:37 am
Absolutely but I’d say “Amateur” Athletics. Anyone still using the term “Student” Athletes is in denial and living in the past.
I would suggest that nearly all of the Tulane baseball players are student athletes as there is very little NIL being shared, and the scholarships are divided (not equally), so they or their parents are still paying most of the hefty Tulane costs - which does not include the additional cost them renting apartments in the somewhat expensive Uptown area. Most recognize that they want the Tulane degree - so they are pretty much "student athletes". I might agree that the P5 schools have tainted the student athlete label, but way more kids playing all of these sports, JUCO through D1, without the benefit of NIL and getting educated in the process.
Supporting the Athletes- reading the squabbles for entertainment
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NSWaveFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:20 am
I would suggest that nearly all of the Tulane baseball players are student athletes as there is very little NIL being shared, and the scholarships are divided (not equally), so they or their parents are still paying most of the hefty Tulane costs - which does not include the additional cost them renting apartments in the somewhat expensive Uptown area. Most recognize that they want the Tulane degree - so they are pretty much "student athletes". I might agree that the P5 schools have tainted the student athlete label, but way more kids playing all of these sports, JUCO through D1, without the benefit of NIL and getting educated in the process.
Good point for a school like Tulane. LSU baseball much different. Currently most non-fully funded scholarship sports are the only “student” athletes left. But with the $2.7 billion lawsuit settlement all those student athletes will get paid and then officially that term can be put to rest.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NSWaveFan
Ripple

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:31 am
Good point for a school like Tulane. LSU baseball much different. Currently most non-fully funded scholarship sports are the only “student” athletes left. But with the $2.7 billion lawsuit settlement all those student athletes will get paid and then officially that term can be put to rest.
Agree
Supporting the Athletes- reading the squabbles for entertainment
puffy
Surge

Side question here: Are baseball players also eligible for partial academic scholarships? Figured some combo of the two (partial academic, partial athletic scholarships) would help defray the cost of attendance.
arkhou02
Surge

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:52 am
arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:29 am

1. NIL
2. Athletes pay
3. Facilities
5. Portal

Really, they are spending money all over campus and across the city, just not on what you want them to spend it on, lol

Certainly! Tulane University plays a significant role in New Orleans’ economy. Here are some key points from a recent report:

Overall Impact: Tulane contributes $3.14 billion annually to Louisiana’s economy1.
-Annual Operations Impact: Tulane’s operating budget is $2.3 billion, supporting scholarship, research, and service1.

-Capital Investments Impact: Tulane invests $143 million annually, creating jobs and salaries across Louisiana1.

-Visitor Spending Impact: The university attracts $312 million in spending by visitors, including students, alumni, and patients1.

-Alumni Retention and Wage Premium Impact: Tulane prepares graduates for success, contributing $382 million to the economy1.

-As New Orleans’ largest private employer, Tulane generates 13,934 jobs in the city alone and attracts spending by visiting parents, alumni, patients, and potential students2

https://governmentrelations.tulane.edu/ ... e-le_0.pdf

EXPANDING DOWNTOWN CAMPUS
Tulane is committed to the enhancement of New Orleans through
the expansion of our downtown footprint. This is the future Tulane
– a world-class urban research institution that supports growth,
innovation, community and unity.
$1 BILLION
RECORD-BREAKING INVESTMENTS
73% of gifts are from out of state – fueling the growth of
Tulane and its capacity to impact the local economy

$1 BILLION
PROJECTED CAPITAL EXPENDITURES
DURING THE NEXT 5 YEARS
$16 BILLION
PROJECTED IMPACT DURING
THE NEXT 5 YEAR
What would the impact of a 1st class athletic program net? They never ever address that issue because they simply don’t want it.