Ashley Langford New WBB Head Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tufinal4
High Tide

Tulane hires alum Ashley Langford, Stony Brook head coach- anyone have thoughts or insight on why her vs the Jackson St coach.

anEngineer
Riptide

tufinal4 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:31 am Tulane hires alum Ashley Langford, Stony Brook head coach- anyone have thoughts or insight on why her vs the Jackson St coach.
Maybe because she wanted it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

She needs to clean house and bring in 100% her own staff, otherwise this is a very suspect hire. I was hoping for the Jackson St coach who seems like a real rising star in women’s basketball and has no ties to Stockton.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:14 am She needs to clean house and bring in 100% her own staff, otherwise this is a very suspect hire. I was hoping for the Jackson St coach who seems like a real rising star in women’s basketball and has no ties to Stockton.

Yeah. I do like Ashley and believe that she can win here, but Reed having a program like Jackson State as a #14 Seed in the tournament this year was noteworthy. Reed gave LSU all that they could handle last year. Even Kim Mulkey said that Reed is one of the next best things in waiting. She will be getting a major division I offer soon.

Good Luck Ashley baby! Let’s win some games.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Very typical Tulane hire much in the Dannen way!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 pm Very typical Tulane hire much in the Dannen way!
We can assume this is derogatory? What's your problem with the hire?
Forever TU
Surge

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 pm Very typical Tulane hire much in the Dannen way!
Lmfao dude. Take a chill pill. The response on X has been widely laudatory from those with no connection to the program. Jesus.
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

Usually Tulane does better going outside the well but Langford has been doing her own thing at other programs. She’s young (37) and has a 66-22 overall record. I think we did good here
RobertM320
Green Wave

She was 25-3 at Stony Brook this season, won the CAA, and was CAA Coach of the Year. Didn't make the NCAA because they lost in the finals of their conference tournament to Drexel.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think we made a good hire. She did play for Stockton but coaching wise she went her own way. She worked her way up the ladder and appears very ready for this opportunity.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

The nonsense that we need to hire coaches with no ties to Tulane is ridiculous. You hire the best candidate that you can get plain and simple. Dannen went outside of Rick Jones and hired Jewett and Ulhman so how has that worked out? Give this Tulane alum a chance and your support. Let her run her own program. As far as hiring from the current staff I'll trust her judgement.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Forever TU wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:33 pm
Lmfao dude. Take a chill pill. The response on X has been widely laudatory from those with no connection to the program. Jesus.
And, is it accurate that this is the first TU alumnus hire to any major sport coaching position since Bennie Ellender?
MicMan
Swell

AD Harris moved rapidly on this one so TU wasn't left out there hat in hand. Good to see.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:36 pm AD Harris moved rapidly on this one so TU wasn't left out there hat in hand. Good to see.
I think Harris knew a month prior to Stockton's public announcment
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:02 pm The nonsense that we need to hire coaches with no ties to Tulane is ridiculous. You hire the best candidate that you can get plain and simple. Dannen went outside of Rick Jones and hired Jewett and Ulhman so how has that worked out? Give this Tulane alum a chance and your support. Let her run her own program. As far as hiring from the current staff I'll trust her judgement.
+1
anEngineer
Riptide

This is the exact opposite of Dannen, who would never hire anyone with any previous ties to Tulane.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:17 am
JerseyWave wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:14 am She needs to clean house and bring in 100% her own staff, otherwise this is a very suspect hire. I was hoping for the Jackson St coach who seems like a real rising star in women’s basketball and has no ties to Stockton.

Yeah. I do like Ashley and believe that she can win here, but Reed having a program like Jackson State as a #14 Seed in the tournament this year was noteworthy. Reed gave LSU all that they could handle last year. Even Kim Mulkey said that Reed is one of the next best things in waiting. She will be getting a major division I offer soon.

Good Luck Ashley baby! Let’s win some games.

Reed has more of a killer instinct as a Coach and even in her coaching style. I love Ashley, but I feel that Reed’s “Recruit a NCAA Tournament Team or Back to Recruiting Trail” mentality was needed at Tulane. She loves to play SEC and Big 12 teams, and her teams at Jackson State have had some respectable showings against them. I think they beat Texas Tech last year. Leading the 2023 National Champion by 10 in the first round of March Madness last year with under 5 minutes left made start paying attention to who she was as a coach. I think she is going to be something serious. There is no way she stays at Jackson State.

Being a program that has been ok with winning 17-18 games and WNIT invitations, I believe the killer mentality to go beyond was needed, and Reed brings that.

Ashley is a winner, and wants to win plenty of games! I just would have liked to see her out there a little more before retuning home. Who knows, this might be the right time for her. We shall see.
Ball Sumrall!
anEngineer
Riptide

It's time to stop the comparing to the Jackson St coach. None of us even know if she was interested in the job. She may have declined to be considered. We got a quality coach who really wanted the job and knows what she's dealing with on day 1. No learning curve.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For those wanting to compare Langford coached in the 14th rated conference and Reed coached in the 28th ranked conference. So our new coach did it against higher competition . She also has recruited all over whereas Reed has not. On the face of it this is a good hire. She's a winner and she's young and energetic.
GreenRiver
Ripple

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:11 am For those wanting to compare Langford coached in the 14th rated conference and Reed coached in the 28th ranked conference. So our new coach did it against higher competition . She also has recruited all over whereas Reed has not. On the face of it this is a good hire. She's a winner and she's young and energetic.
In regards to recruiting all over...

Coach Langford has played/coached in the following locals:
Harrisburg, PA
New Orleans, LA
Lewisburg, PA
Denver, CO
Annapolis, MD
Norfolk, VA
Harrisonburg, VA
Long Island, NY
Bigschtick
Riptide

Forever, B.I.O.Y.A ! And schpetta!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
AugWave
Swell

Hey, I like the hire! I know her, since we were in Freeman together.

Did not know she was coaching.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.