Spring Practice-2024

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Gauntlet....seems to be held in the early morning hours, I bet the Audubon place residents love this
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane coach Jon Sumrall previews spring football
https://www.fox8live.com/2024/03/11/tul ... -football/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:09 pm Tulane coach Jon Sumrall previews spring football
https://www.fox8live.com/2024/03/11/tul ... -football/
Thanks for the link, Tim.

Great interview. With every interaction, Sumrall impresses me more. Even suspecting he was fed the questions ahead of time, Jon comes off as the real deal. He's someone I would be more than happy to trust my sons with. I hope he stays a long time because he's a winner and his Wave is going to win. Didn't I hear that somewhere?

ROLL WAVE.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Despite the procedure on his foot he is participating in 7 on 7 and 1 on 1 drills. So doesn't look to be too serious.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin
Swell

Boy, that Sumrall is so optimistic. Glad we have that attitude trickling down the department as opposed to the old “stick it in your ear and go across the street because losing is okay!”
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is refreshing to judge by wins and losses. It is amazing that RD could state publicly more than once that we don't judge by wins and losses and keep his job for years. If someone in athletics said that today they would be fired on the spot like everywhere else.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:46 pm Despite the procedure on his foot he is participating in 7 on 7 and 1 on 1 drills. So doesn't look to be too serious.
“I’m very excited,” he said. “I want to lead the team. I want to be the starting quarterback and help lead our team in any way I can, win and get back to the conference championship.”

Horton found USC transfer wideout Mario Williams early and often Tuesday, with Williams’ speed, confidence and route-running ability standing out from the start. Horton also connected with Phat Watts, who is back after missing almost all of 2022 with a knee injury and being dismissed from the team early in 2023, for a 75-yard score on a deep ball down the sideline.
greenie78
Riptide

Cobra Kai has the ability to read defenses and anticipate throws. He needs to have time and also trust his ability. I also he would flourish in an Air-Raid or a pro-style offense. RPO doesn't suit him.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Archie, Coach O and Bobby April all stopped by practice today and talked to the team.

Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:00 pm Cobra Kai has the ability to read defenses and anticipate throws. He needs to have time and also trust his ability. I also he would flourish in an Air-Raid or a pro-style offense. RPO doesn't suit him.
Both quarterbacks have things to work on, TY Thompson's interception to td ratio is not good, throws off his back foot too often and must learn to plant his feet and throw to be more consistent. Coach Sumrall says Cobra Kai is more athletic than most give him credit for as that turn around move for a td in the bowl game.
TerryD101
Low Tide

I'd like us to feed Hughes 18+ carries per game. Our offensive success will feed off him. I don't care who our QB is. Just manage the game and eliminate mistakes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:16 pm
greenie78 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:00 pm Cobra Kai has the ability to read defenses and anticipate throws. He needs to have time and also trust his ability. I also he would flourish in an Air-Raid or a pro-style offense. RPO doesn't suit him.
Both quarterbacks have things to work on, TY Thompson's interception to td ratio is not good, throws off his back foot too often and must learn to plant his feet and throw to be more consistent. Coach Sumrall says Cobra Kai is more athletic than most give him credit for as that turn around move for a td in the bowl game.
Didn’t we bury the TD/Int issue three months ago when it was pointed out Kai Hortons was identical to Thompson’s?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TerryD101 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:57 pm I'd like us to feed Hughes 18+ carries per game. Our offensive success will feed off him. I don't care who our QB is. Just manage the game and eliminate mistakes.
I think you’ll see this as Troy had one of the leading rushers in the nation, and the OC has said that he intends to use the running game to open up gash plays through the air.
Greeniegb
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:42 am
Greeniegb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:16 pm
Didn’t we bury the TD/Int issue three months ago when it was pointed out Kai Hortons was identical to Thompson’s?
No because it is not true, Kai does not have a high interception rate was early against Cincinatti two years ago, or throws off his back foot, According to Sumrall he has a smooth powerful arm for deep passes. sets well. Thompson has not won a single college football game, Kai has won 3. Facts only!!!

During his time at Tulane University, Kai continued to make an impact. As a redshirt sophomore, he played in 11 games, completing 52 out of 104 passes (50%) for 738 yards, six touchdowns,. 🌊

Keep an eye on this rising star as he continues to make waves on the field! 🌟
RobertM320
Green Wave

Will it never end? :roll: :roll:
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Pepper
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:27 pm Will it never end? :roll: :roll:
Oh it's gonna end on Aug 29th!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Pepper wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:58 pm
Probably not. If Thompson is named the starter, every game that he throws an interception or looks less than perfect, we'll hear about how we should be giving Kai a chance. What will be ignored is that he will have HAD his chance in spring practice. If he doesn't capitalize on it and become the starter, that's on him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:10 am
Pepper wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:58 pm
Probably not. If Thompson is named the starter, every game that he throws an interception or looks less than perfect, we'll hear about how we should be giving Kai a chance. What will be ignored is that he will have HAD his chance in spring practice. If he doesn't capitalize on it and become the starter, that's on him.
There’s a video from the other day of a nice pass and catch from Kai to Phatt. Great to see him bouncing back.

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast. I’m going to listen now instead of Monday when I would have seen it!

There’s one today with Kai Horton dropping dimes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:10 am
No because it is not true, Kai does not have a high interception rate was early against Cincinatti two years ago, or throws off his back foot, According to Sumrall he has a smooth powerful arm for deep passes. sets well. Thompson has not won a single college football game, Kai has won 3. Facts only!!!
Kai may win the job and become a star, I hope it happens. But you said you wanted FACTS ONLY.

Facts are facts and the fact is they have both thrown the same number of TDs and Kai has thrown 1 more INT.

FACT: By definition, Kai has a WORSE TD/INT ratio than Ty.

Spin it any way you like, but that is the fact.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ton-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... son-2.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE