FOOTBALL TRANSFER PORTAL 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt they have something to prove after not playing and/or producing much. The last couple of years most of our transfers had played a good bit before coming here. This year it's a mixed bag. We all believe in HCJS and his staff looks solid so hopeful they pan out for us.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
High Tide

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:23 pm No doubt they have something to prove after not playing and/or producing much. The last couple of years most of our transfers had played a good bit before coming here. This year it's a mixed bag. We all believe in HCJS and his staff looks solid so hopeful they pan out for us.
+1
Show Me
Tsunami

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 pm You can sort of understand the recruiting rankings. The market for Thompson, Williams, and Shazz was not the same as it was out of high school. Thompson was never a starter in 3 years. Williams did not play well this past year. And Shazz was 3rd team in his 2nd year. These three guys have a lot to prove. All 3 are talented players, but not playing much at all clearly questions their high school rankings. It is going to be interesting to see if they flourish in New Orleans under Coach Sumrall. And I like the gamble one way or the other.
Joe Burrow was 3rd string at Ohio St so you never know.
Greeniegb
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:38 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 pm You can sort of understand the recruiting rankings. The market for Thompson, Williams, and Shazz was not the same as it was out of high school. Thompson was never a starter in 3 years. Williams did not play well this past year. And Shazz was 3rd team in his 2nd year. These three guys have a lot to prove. All 3 are talented players, but not playing much at all clearly questions their high school rankings. It is going to be interesting to see if they flourish in New Orleans under Coach Sumrall. And I like the gamble one way or the other.
Joe Burrow was 3rd string at Ohio St so you never know.
I totally agree, stepping back, Kai had the high school credentials as a high 3 Star and was up and down, with Coach Sumrall I believe it will be a quarterback battle between both Kai and Thompson, with the new receivers both of them can blossom and if we are winning big I count on Coach Sumrall to use the bench and give both players a chance to perform in game situations not just practice. That is how you keep players, Thompson played in 17 games but in mop up situations not a good test of ability. Can't wait for S;pring Practice, we need to jam Yulman like Colorado sold out their stadium for the Spring Game. Green Wave Nation lets work on that now huge crowd for Spring Practice would be a good kickoff for Coach Sumrall and the team. Be there or be square, put up or shutup.
Greeniegb
Swell

mbissanti wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:32 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:59 pm
mbissanti wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:31 pm
Why is Nicholl's St. his leading destination???
is it?
ON 247 sports, we are not on radar ridiculous. since he is visiting us.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Transfer...ya wanna a transfer for a 5th time...yeah my current NIL ain't workin out so well in this enviroment, so I gotta move on..... ya know this is gettin ready to be messed up...the Federal Gov is gettin involved
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... sfer-rules
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:08 am Transfer...ya wanna a transfer for a 5th time...yeah my current NIL ain't workin out so well in this enviroment, so I gotta move on..... ya know this is gettin ready to be messed up...the Federal Gov is gettin involved
The Fed Gov vs NCAA—two losers going nose-to-nose.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbissanti
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:17 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:08 am Transfer...ya wanna a transfer for a 5th time...yeah my current NIL ain't workin out so well in this enviroment, so I gotta move on..... ya know this is gettin ready to be messed up...the Federal Gov is gettin involved
The Fed Gov vs NCAA—two losers going nose-to-nose.
+1
anEngineer
Riptide

If this gets to be an actual legal hearing, I think it's about time for the universities to ask what their return is in offering free educations to these kids. If they are having to buy players anyway, why should universities be obligated to pay them AND provide the full cost of a college education? If NIL is the route we're going, make players choose the NIL path with no free education or the traditional scholarship route.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:14 pm If this gets to be an actual legal hearing, I think it's about time for the universities to ask what their return is in offering free educations to these kids. If they are having to buy players anyway, why should universities be obligated to pay them AND provide the full cost of a college education? If NIL is the route we're going, make players choose the NIL path with no free education or the traditional scholarship route.
Great idea. Pick one or the other.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

More evidence of just how much money is being spent in NIL. Ohio State's NIL "budget" is $13M. A "budget" would imply that its PER YEAR. And you KNOW Ryan Day isn't referring to the school's ENTIRE NIL budget for all sports. He's referring to the only thing that matters to HIM, which is for football.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 pm More evidence of just how much money is being spent in NIL. Ohio State's NIL "budget" is $13M. A "budget" would imply that its PER YEAR. And you KNOW Ryan Day isn't referring to the school's ENTIRE NIL budget for all sports. He's referring to the only thing that matters to HIM, which is for football.

It says that's what he wants but it's not what they have. They are one of the true blue bloods though and they will do much better than most of the 133 schools. So again most of the 11,330 FBS scholarship players are not getting much if anything.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TerryD101
Low Tide

NIL and the transfer portal will kill college athletics by 2030. Small schools will get crumbs and any good player will transfer ASAP.

You gonna have 30 schools who have legit programs due to big money boosters. With 6-8 actually able to win a championship. Texas, Texas A&M, USC, Ohio State, Bama, Tennessee, Georgia and okie state if Red McCombs estate funds program. If not OSU then put Oregon with the Nike money.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TerryD101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:52 pm NIL and the transfer portal will kill college athletics by 2030. Small schools will get crumbs and any good player will transfer ASAP.

You gonna have 30 schools who have legit programs due to big money boosters. With 6-8 actually able to win a championship. Texas, Texas A&M, USC, Ohio State, Bama, Tennessee, Georgia and okie state if Red McCombs estate funds program. If not OSU then put Oregon with the Nike money.
one correction..Red McCombs is a Texas booster...T Boone Pickens is the Okie State booster
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:40 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 pm More evidence of just how much money is being spent in NIL. Ohio State's NIL "budget" is $13M. A "budget" would imply that its PER YEAR. And you KNOW Ryan Day isn't referring to the school's ENTIRE NIL budget for all sports. He's referring to the only thing that matters to HIM, which is for football.

It says that's what he wants but it's not what they have. They are one of the true blue bloods though and they will do much better than most of the 133 schools. So again most of the 11,330 FBS scholarship players are not getting much if anything.
It says they aren't there JUST YET. Which may mean they're at $10M. It surely doesn't mean $2M. If their FOOTBALL NIL budget was even $10M, for roughly 100 players, that $100K PER PLAYER, PER YEAR. I doubt that all $10M+ is going to only a dozen players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yet you don't know what they have and you assume he means for only football. More importantly they are one of very few of the 133 that will have a truly significant amount every year.. They are the exception to the rule. Plus you just posted that one of our NIL people told you that our players don't really put NIL at the top of their list.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:49 pm Yet you don't know what they have and you assume he means for only football. More importantly they are one of very few of the 133 that will have a truly significant amount every year.. They are the exception to the rule. Plus you just posted that one of our NIL people told you that our players don't really put NIL at the top of their list.
Its a pretty safe assumption he's only talking about football. What would Ryan Day know about how much the baskeball teams, the baseball team, volleyball teams, etc, need as far as NIL goes? He's only going to be talking about HIS needs.

If Ohio State is like that, you know so are Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Oregon, Florida State, Oklahoma. So that's TEN schools, with roughly 100 players each, who will be spending somewhere in the AVERAGE of $100K PER PLAYER, PER YEAR. Not all players get that amount, but that's what it will average out to. Word from Texas is, their budget is $15M a year.

Ten teams, 100 players. Thats 1000 football players average $100K a year. And that's just the top echelon. I'd doubt there's very few players getting NO money at all.

And yes, our NIL guy said our players don't put NIL "AT THE TOP" of their list. He said MOST of them have NIL as their 2nd or 3rd consideration. Doesn't mean they weren't looking for ANY NIL money at all.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:49 pm Yet you don't know what they have and you assume he means for only football. More importantly they are one of very few of the 133 that will have a truly significant amount every year.. They are the exception to the rule. Plus you just posted that one of our NIL people told you that our players don't really put NIL at the top of their list.
Its a pretty safe assumption he's only talking about football. What would Ryan Day know about how much the baskeball teams, the baseball team, volleyball teams, etc, need as far as NIL goes? He's only going to be talking about HIS needs.

If Ohio State is like that, you know so are Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Oregon, Florida State, Oklahoma. So that's TEN schools, with roughly 100 players each, who will be spending somewhere in the AVERAGE of $100K PER PLAYER, PER YEAR. Not all players get that amount, but that's what it will average out to. Word from Texas is, their budget is $15M a year.

Ten teams, 100 players. Thats 1000 football players average $100K a year. And that's just the top echelon. I'd doubt there's very few players getting NO money at all.

And yes, our NIL guy said our players don't put NIL "AT THE TOP" of their list. He said MOST of them have NIL as their 2nd or 3rd consideration. Doesn't mean they weren't looking for ANY NIL money at all.
Canes Chicken founder is the LSU bagman for their NIL needs.
He can buy and sell Ms. Benson twice over.
https://www.wdsu.com/article/batonrouge ... a/45877690
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:23 pm No doubt they have something to prove after not playing and/or producing much. The last couple of years most of our transfers had played a good bit before coming here. This year it's a mixed bag. We all believe in HCJS and his staff looks solid so hopeful they pan out for us.
WW makes a good point especially that in Coach Sumrall We Trust!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 am

There are only 85 on scholarship so that's 850 out of 11,330. So a very small amount of players getting good money. We'll see how sustainable it is .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Which of our transfers from "P" schools that were highly ranked out of HS played a good bit? Keys came to mind, but he only had 18 receptions before graduating at Notre Dame. Side note: He is a rare player with a reception in a Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl, not to mention one of the all-time greatest blocks by a WR on J. Jackson's record-tying 87-yard TD reception.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 am
Which of our transfers from "P" schools that were highly ranked out of HS played a good bit? Keys came to mind, but he only had 18 receptions before graduating at Notre Dame. Side note: He is a rare player with a reception in a Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl, not to mention one of the all-time greatest blocks by a WR on J. Jackson's record-tying 87-yard TD reception.
D- my post wasn't limited to "P" transfers. I said many of our transfers thus encompassing them all. Monroe, Jenkins, Robinson, Wyatt, Carter, Pines, Anderson, Young, Ambrosio, Watts are some that come to mind. The main point being that playing time on the field at any level above HS is good experience to bring to the table.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:52 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 am
D- my post wasn't limited to "P" transfers. I said many of our transfers thus encompassing them all. Monroe, Jenkins, Robinson, Wyatt, Carter, Pines, Anderson, Young, Ambrosio, Watts are some that come to mind. The main point being that playing time on the field at any level above HS is good experience to bring to the table.
Yes, I get that, but my point is players that didn't get to play at P schools have a great track record of coming here and being EXTREMELY ready to compete and contribute at Tulane. Going back to Davenport, who was moved to O-Line at LSU and was our dominant D-Lineman his one year back won that side of the ball at Tulane. I'll bet we've had a solid 6-8 like him, Keys being another.

The guy that's coming to Tulane from a G5 or FCS or D2 is a different animal than the one that went for the Pee offer and couldn't get on the field and comes with a chip on his shoulder.

And please note, win, I'm not arguing with you or trying to make you wrong, I'm just making a different point. Your point is valid and pertains primarily to those moving "up" while mine is valid about those moving "down" to get off the bench.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hear ya D. As to Davenport you have to remember that was the last year we were in CUSA and it was a really bad conference at that point. I appreciate that we had a better season than usual but honestly it wasn't much considering the lack of competition. Keys and Jenkins are 2 I can think of from P's that played some and then did better here. I am interested in a list of the "P" transfers we have gotten since the advent of the portal and how they did here. .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:26 pm I hear ya D. As to Davenport you have to remember that was the last year we were in CUSA and it was a really bad conference at that point. I appreciate that we had a better season than usual but honestly it wasn't much considering the lack of competition. Keys and Jenkins are 2 I can think of from P's that played some and then did better here. I am interested in a list of the "P" transfers we have gotten since the advent of the portal and how they did here. .
Not only was C-USA bad, but we played a lot of games when the opponent was missing their star player or players. What tells me the C-USAAC is so bad is how easily the C-USA Teams fit right into the watered down AAC. The AAC was a BIG step up for Tulane when we made that leap.