FOOTBALL TRANSFER PORTAL 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbissanti
Surge

We can track attempts to pull back players from portal and from other schools here.

To start the discussion, I looked at Houston vs Tulane portal.

Tulane has 7 players in portal, maybe 3 that are significant losses, 2 medium, 2 not so big a deal, IMO.

Houston has 8 in portal and already lost 2 with several with 90+ ratings.

I would say that if Sumrall can get going quickly, we can remediate this well.

I think we are ahead of Houston, for example, at this point, despite Willie already being on the job

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane had a good thing going and was successful in the portal with Coach Fritz. IF Sumrall is truly our new HC, we might have upgraded and should attract a lot of players anxious to join the Wave.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Greeniegb
Swell

mbissanti wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:13 pm We can track attempts to pull back players from portal and from other schools here.

Tulane has 7 players in portal, maybe 3 that are significant losses, 2 medium, 2 not so big a deal, IMO.

I think we are ahead of Houston, for example, at this point, despite Willie already being on the job
Key is how many coaches Sumrall retains, Coach Fritz built a solid experienced coaching staff mix of college and pro coaches, players get close to coaches and may not welcome too many changes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There was a lot of turnover in his staff. Sumrall will bring in good coaches.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Another leader staying!

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbissanti
Surge

Corey platt enters portal
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

When someone enters the portal, often they're approached by these "agents" who funnel players to programs. I'd be surprised if we don't use any of them, they're similar to the AAU Basketball folks from a few years ago. Players work out NIL deals once in the portal, or come back if they can't get a better deal at a program they're interested in. It's kind of like making your profile "open to opportunities" on LinkedIn when you're still working your current job though this gets a lot more publicity.
Ruski
Swell

mbissanti wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:13 pm We can track attempts to pull back players from portal and from other schools here.

I see 8 players in the portal according to on3.com: https://www.on3.com/college/tulane-gree ... ball/2024/

Big loss:
WR Chris Brazzell
QB Kai Horton
DL Devean Deal
CB DJ Douglas

Medium loss:
LB Corey Platt Jr.
CB Kentrell Webb

No Big Deal:
WR Phatt Watts
QB Carson Haggard

Sure would be nice to get Deal and Douglas back.
Ruski
Swell

on3.com says that WR Will Sheppard from Vandy is 20% chance to land at Tulane. 80% Miss State. He's 6'3 and from Mandeville. He's got 21 TDs and averaging close to 700 yards over the last 3 years. Would be a real nice pickup

capwave
High Tide

Add Keith Cooper to the portal.
Greeniegb
Swell

Ruski wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:56 pm

I see 8 players in the portal according to on3.com: https://www.on3.com/college/tulane-gree ... ball/2024/

Big loss:
WR Chris Brazzell
QB Kai Horton
DL Devean Deal
CB DJ Douglas

Medium loss:
LB Corey Platt Jr.
CB Kentrell Webb

No Big Deal:
WR Phatt Watts
QB Carson Haggard

Sure would be nice to get Deal and Douglas back.
Haggard impact was more as a recruiter than a player, I remember when Tulane signed him he was promoting others from Fl. to come to Tulane. I believe his sister was here. His love for Tulane has vanished.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Horton was going into the portal even if Fritz had remained coach. So I’m not surprised.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:22 am Horton was going into the portal even if Fritz had remained coach. So I’m not surprised.
I’m curious why you say that? I read stories and saw video where Kai talked about passing up the portal to wait his turn at Tulane. Did this change as the season progressed? Does he enter with a destination in mind?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:26 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:22 am Horton was going into the portal even if Fritz had remained coach. So I’m not surprised.
I’m curious why you say that? I read stories and saw video where Kai talked about passing up the portal to wait his turn at Tulane. Did this change as the season progressed? Does he enter with a destination in mind?
It helps to know parents. That’s all.
Crowded position here. No destination in mind. He may not have started here next year. He’ll probably end up somewhere where he’s going to be the man for sure. We’ll have to see where he lands. I’m sure the coaching changes made it easier for him announce.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

So, tps… your opinion is that Horton would not have been QB1 next year even if Fritz had stayed? Unless you’re working with privileged information, can you comment further on this? Do you believe our next QB1 is currently in the portal?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:59 am
So, tps… your opinion is that Horton would not have been QB1 next year even if Fritz had stayed? Unless you’re working with privileged information, can you comment further on this? Do you believe our next QB1 is currently in the portal?
Not saying that. Only he wasn’t guaranteed the starting job. Ibieta was always ahead of him up until his injuries. Justin will be 100% next year for sure so if Horton wants to be the man his best opportunity will come from the portal. He’s going to land somewhere where he’s guaranteed to start. Now maybe Sumrall thinks he’s too good to let go and tries to get him to come back. I’m not sure about that. As like most he wants the opportunity to start and play. He wasn’t going to chance backing up to a person equal or younger in class than him again here next year. There are probably better opportunities for him to explore if he wants to be the man. Getting a QB from the portal seems to work for the top schools in P5. However at our level I have not seen that work as well with the G5 teams. Any good G5 QB’s are probably looking to get P5 offers.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

All the QBs entering the transfer portal should look at the Ok State QB who transferred to Ole Miss just to sit the bench.
greenie78
Riptide

I hope Ibieta is 100% healthy, because he a ton of physical tools, but I'm certain Sumrall will bring someone from the portal.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sumrall could bring one, or have a recruit or two. Do we have any commitments at QB? The portal could bring one as well, I think we're still an attractive landing ground. Any New Orleans area QB's in the portal?
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:19 am Sumrall could bring one, or have a recruit or two. Do we have any commitments at QB? The portal could bring one as well, I think we're still an attractive landing ground. Any New Orleans area QB's in the portal?
Wasn't terribly impressed with the recruits that were committed to Troy so far. Maybe Beason, the WR from Hutchinson CC, and ATH Jywon Boyd,
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:19 am Sumrall could bring one, or have a recruit or two. Do we have any commitments at QB? The portal could bring one as well, I think we're still an attractive landing ground. Any New Orleans area QB's in the portal?
Not a QB but this OL from St Aug is in the portal. He's been plagued by injuries but played 400 snaps for Florida State this year. He's got one year of eligibility left. Seminole fans seem to be a little sad he's leaving, when healthy he's very good. Problem is, he's hardly healthy.

https://www.on3.com/db/bless-harris-11124/
RobertM320
Green Wave

Looking at Troy's roster, their RB Kimani Vidal was the SBC Offensive Player of the Year. Not sure we really need another RB, though. Maybe their Sr QB Gunnar Watson has another year? A couple of DL on the first and second team All-Conf defense as well.

https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2023/11/ ... teams.aspx
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:24 am
Wasn't terribly impressed with the recruits that were committed to Troy so far. Maybe Beason, the WR from Hutchinson CC, and ATH Jywon Boyd,
The only impact transfer I can find for Troy in the last 2 years is Chris Lewis, WR who came from Kentucky. He was their #2 WR in targets but in half as many targets as the #1 had almost equal yards, and double the TDs. He has quite a lot of circus catches and big yard plays.

If he follows Sumrall here, would be a big addition. He's still got 2 more years of eligibility.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Yes, I did see his numbers. Something like 23 yds a catch and 10TDs?
greenie78
Riptide

We have one commitment at QB. He would be the highest rated recruit Fritz would have signed at that position.

https://247sports.com/Player/kellen-tasby-46139474