New HC profile

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

No feel good hires please. Best available candidate.

Pepper
Swell

In all seriousness, the James Madison Head Coach checks all the boxes and his QB is in the portal. The guy has never had a losing season at multiple schools and is known as a QB guru.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
greenie78
Riptide

Pepper wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 am In all seriousness, the James Madison Head Coach checks all the boxes and his QB is in the portal. The guy has never had a losing season at multiple schools and is known as a QB guru.
He took the job at Indiana. He's not available.
puffy
Surge

Potential candidates to watch for the job include Tulane offensive coordinator Slade Nagle, Florida State offensive coordinator Alex Atkins, LSU quarterbacks coach Joe Sloan, Missouri defensive coordinator Blake Baker, Jacksonville State head coach Rich Rodriguez and Troy head coach Jon Sumrall.
https://theathletic.com/5106550/2023/12 ... all-coach/
RobertM320
Green Wave

puffy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 am
Potential candidates to watch for the job include Tulane offensive coordinator Slade Nagle, Florida State offensive coordinator Alex Atkins, LSU quarterbacks coach Joe Sloan, Missouri defensive coordinator Blake Baker, Jacksonville State head coach Rich Rodriguez and Troy head coach Jon Sumrall.
https://theathletic.com/5106550/2023/12 ... all-coach/
Not impressed. We've seen what Nagle does, or doesn't. Atkins doesn't actually call the plays, Baker might be interesting, Sumrall will probably wait one more year for a P5 job if he doesn't get one this year, and RRod isn't coming back.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

Rich Rod will come back for the right price.
greenie78
Riptide

If Sumrall isn't hired by the end of the day or early tomorrow morning, I have a bad feeling about this hire.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 am If Sumrall isn't hired by the end of the day or early tomorrow morning, I have a bad feeling about this hire.
Sumrall is paid 825,ooo per year
his file
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Sumrall

https://troytrojans.com/sports/football ... mrall/1716
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 am If Sumrall isn't hired by the end of the day or early tomorrow morning, I have a bad feeling about this hire.
Like the AD job I wonder if will attract the better candidates.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:14 am
It could with the right kind of selling. But I'm not optimistic.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:14 am
It could with the right kind of selling. But I'm not optimistic.
You’ll have to hire a coach that knows there’s a ceiling at Tulane and once it’s reached it’s best to move on.
Playing G5 in CUSAAC limits the field substantially.
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

The reality is 95% of the jobs out there are potential stepping stones (even Notre Dame).

Hire the best man available, and hope he is always in the discussion of being poached by another program.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Absolutely have to hire a coach who can handle the portal. The portal is the key to sustained success and Fritz thrived on it at Tulane. He gained much more than he lost to the portal. High School recruiting classes have become far less critical to winning.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The "seasrch" should last no more that one week
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
OUG
Riptide

This isn’t like the AD hire for me. In this case every fan already knows the resumes and the interviews are irrelevant.

If it’s not Sumrall someone somewhere screwed the pooch.

Triple his salary and give him the job. He will immediately bring talent through the portal.
OUG
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:58 am The "seasrch" should last no more that one week
Which is exactly what Fitts said. “Within the week.” I think they already have their guy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:00 pm This isn’t like the AD hire for me. In this case every fan already knows the resumes and the interviews are irrelevant.

Triple his salary and give him the job. He will immediately bring talent through the portal.
Yes. But we hired a search firm to find a baseball coach.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:58 am Rich Rod will come back for the right price.
Not interested. At all. He’s not the right fit for us and his offense is not the future of college football the way it was 20 years ago
mbissanti
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:01 pm
OUG wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:00 pm This isn’t like the AD hire for me. In this case every fan already knows the resumes and the interviews are irrelevant.

They may have hired them a month ago in anticipation...
OUG
Riptide

Who cares about the search firm? That’s a check the box move. I have no idea why you guys get hung up on that. The search firm isn’t relevant. We hired a search firm with Fritz too, it doesn’t matter. The firm is just the school’s agent.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:04 pm

Who cares about the search firm? That’s a check the box move. I have no idea why you guys get hung up on that. The search firm isn’t relevant. We hired a search firm with Fritz too, it doesn’t matter. The firm is just the school’s agent.
Exactly. You’ve made my point that it’s a joke.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

So what do we have an AD for? That's HIS job. We don't need someone else to be the school's "agent".
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:19 pm
So what do we have an AD for? That's HIS job. We don't need someone else to be the school's "agent".
It’s lazy is what it is. Oh yea, Harris officially starts January 3, 2024. 🫣 has those important lose ends to tie up at Northern Iowa.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:19 pm
When you’re negotiating a deal of this size you absolutely want someone doing some of the groundwork in negotiating before it reaches the principals. You want an agent for the same reason the coach wants an agent.