Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:37 am What is the buyout on Fritz? I saw somewhere it was $10 million. Anyone have that info. Could turn into a good payday for Tulane.
Bad info. Houston didn’t go for the UTSA coach because he had a $7 million buyout.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:33 am
greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 am The new coach should make close to what Fritz was making if the school is serious.
Which is roughly $3M.
Which would triple Sumrall's salary at Troy. They should be on the phone with his agent immediately once WF officially makes his decision.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 am The new coach should make close to what Fritz was making if the school is serious.
Without a doubt. what they pay will tell us a lot.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:42 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:33 am
Which is roughly $3M.
Which would triple Sumrall's salary at Troy. They should be on the phone with his agent immediately once WF officially makes his decision.
This.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Houston's a coaching graveyard. Wonder why?
greenie78
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:47 am Houston's a coaching graveyard. Wonder why?
Big expectations without a big enough fan base, though the coaches that have had success ended up leaving for bigger jobs in the same state. A Houston booster posted on "X" that Fritz promised the school president he wanted to win and retire at Houston :lol:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

You know why I think Fritz won't be as successful at Houston as he was here? Because Houston has a President and a major donor (Fertitta), who like to put their fingers in the pie too much.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The sooner it's official the better for us. We need to get on the search ASAP.
MicMan
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 am
MicMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:47 am Houston's a coaching graveyard. Wonder why?
Big expectations without a big enough fan base, though the coaches that have had success ended up leaving for bigger jobs in the same state. A Houston booster posted on "X" that Fritz promised the school president he wanted to win and retire at Houston :lol:
I was being sarcastic.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 am Fritz promised the school president he wanted to win and retire at Houston :lol:
:lol: :-P :clap:
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:17 am
Spotlight now on David Harris. Does he pass it off to a search committee or does he go out and hire the best available candidate immediately.?
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

With no P5 affiliation we're stll a stepping stone. Coach O would create Prime-like national excitement around the program.
Pepper
Swell

I wouldn't get too excited what coaches say. They all at the moment says those things. Hell, his bosses promised an IPF and Football Ops Bldg. That's just coach speak and to let recruits know,
I for one think he did a great job here, better than everyone else and stayed when everyone else said he was leaving last year. He's going for guaranteed money whether he succeeds or not. In four years, he will be either competing for a Big 12 title or sitting at home collecting serious money with Medicare Part B!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Pepper
Swell

I would love to see Coach O get the job only to drive those elitist snobs in Gibson hall shit the bed.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

"There is no ceiling for success, with the incredible fan support, excellent facilities, talented young men and a collective desire to compete for championships. We will build a program that all Coogs can be proud of and I cannot wait to see the results." https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... holgorsen/

No ceiling @ “Cougar High” for WF. 😁
puffy
Surge

My challenge over the next 7-10 days is not to overreact to the inevitable mass exodus of players into the portal, or to the eventual decommits of the current recruiting class.

In any case, I appreciate greatly everything Coach WEF did for Tulane football. Tulane won 12 games total in my four years at the school, so I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm not happy with the outcome of yesterday and today, but 8 years is a long time for any head coach in one place, and WEF probably felt this was his last chance to be at a school with significant financial resources (and he's correct).

The rumor mill for Tulane's next head today will be interesting. The first four names to circulate will be ones I will look at with a critical eye.
Gowave71
Ripple

So ready to move on from this.. these players deserve better.. Thanks for all the distractions Mr Fritz. Now go and win your 3 games a year in the big boy 12 conference.. Your ass will be on the hot seat in 2 years. Book it.. I hope your agent was smart enough to get you guaranteed money in your contract. You will need it. Time to contact Jon Sumrall and have him signed by tomorrow… Just another bump in the road. This team will prevail..
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 am "There is no ceiling for success, with the incredible fan support, excellent facilities, talented young men and a collective desire to compete for championships. We will build a program that all Coogs can be proud of and I cannot wait to see the results." https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... holgorsen/

No ceiling @ “Cougar High” for WF. 😁
Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

To be honest, I'm not sure we're as good a job as people might think. We're in a dying conference. We missed out on the past few realignment chances (not all due to our own ineptness - thanks, PAC12), and we still don't have major new facilities coming. Other than a money grab, what makes us think a guy like Jon Sumrall sees us as a step up? Any coach who's up and coming enough to be in the sights for a potential P5 job in the next year or so isn't going to come to Tulane. We're either looking at a retread trying to resurrect their career (like Tom Herman did) or a completely under the radar guy that will seem small time. We're between a rock and a hard place here.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbissanti
High Tide

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 am
Where have I heard that before. Hmmmm.
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 am To be honest, I'm not sure we're as good a job as people might think. We're in a dying conference. We missed out on the past few realignment chances (not all due to our own ineptness - thanks, PAC12), and we still don't have major new facilities coming. Other than a money grab, what makes us think a guy like Jon Sumrall sees us as a step up? Any coach who's up and coming enough to be in the sights for a potential P5 job in the next year or so isn't going to come to Tulane. We're either looking at a retread trying to resurrect their career (like Tom Herman did) or a completely under the radar guy that will seem small time. We're between a rock and a hard place here.
All that is true, but for a coach like Sumrall, he can get triple the salary his salary, coach in a metro market and fertile recruiting area, a strong G5 NIL program, etc, plus a program that recently won the Cotton Bowl and still ranked in the AP poll.