Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:51 pm I recall that we had a No to Gosha thread with several of the regulars insisting that Gosha could not be hired in spite of Coach Fritz's apparent preference. How many of those posters will accept any responsibility for perhaps giving Coach Fritz a reason to look elsewhere? How many of those posters just felt they knew better than Coach Fritz what was good for Tulane Athletics?
And we were right to say no to Gosha. Willie showed his ass by saying what he said and showed he thought he was bigger than the program. You are a fucking idiot and the poster child for why Tulane has such a small fan base locally that can't even fill a 22,660 seat stadium. Willie was leaving no matter what. Unless Fertitta turned his plane around after seeing that putrid performance.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:10 pm Willie staying 🤔
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/will ... b1c3f.html
We have to hope and pray he's gone. As usual if his lips are moving he's lying. The program took a notable step back this season and it will take a step back without Pratt especially if Willie is back because Houston pulls the offer. The game has passed him by.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:00 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:54 pm It's time to bring Tulane's offense back into the 21st century with a potent aerial attack. We need to hold the Tulane administration to the fire by paying our Football Coach a great salary, money to hire and retain a great staff and build the freakin facilities already, IPF and Football Operations Center. Keep the momentum going!!!!
We had a potent aerial attack until Keys and Jackson got ankle injuries. We have been without both of them the past few weeks.
We haven't had a potent passing attack this season because of Willie's conservative nature.
greenie78
Riptide

Potent passing attack in one half against South Alabama. And maybe in the second half of Memphis.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:24 pm Here's my big concern as far as hiring a new coach. Assuming we don't get gutted by the portal, we should still have a good shot at finishing near the top of the conference next season. I could easily see a coach come here for one season, just because of the money, win with Fritz's players, then jump to another job the following year. That would really set us back.

I'm not saying hire someone because they would say, I'm saying make sure we vet the person well.
We would not do well with Willie coming back minus Pratt.It will take a good coach to win with what we have for next year. If they do that to the extent a bigger program wants them then they will have done a miraculous job and will deserve moving up. Like I said our AD has to always have the list ready.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:14 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:24 pm Here's my big concern as far as hiring a new coach. Assuming we don't get gutted by the portal, we should still have a good shot at finishing near the top of the conference next season. I could easily see a coach come here for one season, just because of the money, win with Fritz's players, then jump to another job the following year. That would really set us back.

I'm not saying hire someone because they would say, I'm saying make sure we vet the person well.
We would not do well with Willie coming back minus Pratt.It will take a good coach to win with what we have for next year. If they do that to the extent a bigger program wants them then they will have done a miraculous job and will deserve moving up. Like I said our AD has to always have the list ready.
If the term national search committee comes up, we're gonna get Scelfo'd.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:16 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:14 pm

If the term national search committee comes up, we're gonna get Scelfo'd.
Yep.
Dupergreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:07 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:54 pm It's time to bring Tulane's offense back into the 21st century with a potent aerial attack. We need to hold the Tulane administration to the fire by paying our Football Coach a great salary, money to hire and retain a great staff and build the freakin facilities already, IPF and Football Operations Center. Keep the momentum going!!!!
We had a potent aerial attack until Keys and Jackson got ankle injuries. We have been without both of them the past few weeks.
We haven't had a potent passing attack this season because of Willie's conservative nature.
I don't want to argue with Fritz being conservative however it seemed like our passing game consisted of short passes to Bauman or deep passes to either Keys or Jackson.

Maybe Nagle thought that with the speed of Keys, Jackson and Brown it was better to throw deep to them.

Using Brown as mostly a jet sweep player seems like a waste of his talent unless there was something more to it than we know.
Greeniegb
Swell

Blame Nagle not Fritz, it was lies he did not coach the offense last year, coach's do more than call plays. That showed this year!!! Svoboda, was the weekly coach, coaching techniques and other things a real coach does, Nagle was over his head.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Then he thought wrong. The whole idea these days is to get the ball to your speed guys in space and then let them make a lot out of it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:24 pm

Blame Nagle not Fritz, it was lies he did not coach the offense last year, coach's do more than call plays. That showed this year!!! Svoboda, was the weekly coach, coaching techniques and other things a real coach does, Nagle was over his head.
Fritz ran Svoboda and McMenamin off. So this on Willie.
Jaxwave
Swell

A couple of comments:
1. I think it’s terrible for everybody to jump on Willie after what he’s done at our school that hasn’t made a commitment to athletics since 1955.
2. The OL heads been borderline awful in pass protection this year but ok in run blocking for Hughes. Maybe there was a good reason for being conservative and milking 11 wins out of this team
3. SMU’s NIL money got them some nice defensive pieces and we were lucky this game wasn’t 38-7. We scored on a 1 yd drive and a bomb on which we had a false start.
4. I don’t expect any coach worth their salt to take this job if they look at the admin lack of action in making it a desirable place to coach and win.
5. Willie got two great recruits in Michael and Tyjae and won a championship. We have no Michael and Tyjae on this roster and it’s going to be more difficult to recruit to the new AAC.
6. What an effort by the defense today keeping us in the game until midway thru the 4th despite no offense to speak of.
7. Man we’d have gotten killed in a NY6 Bowl and I’m afraid we might get killed in a lesser one now with the turnover in coaches and players I expect to see.
8. I really tip my hat to Willie and all the other coaches for instilling a terrific culture in the players in the program. On the field and off, they really handle themselves with tremendous class. In that regard, I think it’s going to be difficult to replace Willie. We had 1, I’ll say it again, 1 player leave the program after going 2-10 under the worst circumstances. That is the culture Coach Fritz has brought to the program. The kids loved being around each other, just a bunch of great young men.
Lastly, good luck to Willie if he’s headed to Houston and good luck to the young men leaving us after great careers.
Jaxwave
Swell

One last thing, we weren’t beating SMU this year with the mismatch I saw today in their DL vs our OL. Really all year, our poor OL pass protection. Bad matchup today. Because of this I don’t think the Willie to Houston issue made one bit of difference. We couldn’t block them, plain and simple.
arkhou02
High Tide

Willie hasn’t recruited in three months. Willie made no adjustments offensively for 2 months. Willie ran off some great coaches. What has he been doing since the Cotton Bowl? Lying to the fans about how he would never leave. Doing nothing to improve our offense. And searching for another job. And backing Gosha when he knew he was leaving. It sucks how he handled this situation the past two months.
Wave QB
Swell

The Fritz bashing is ridiculous! We have been a losing program and non Bowl Team for decades! This man has done an amazing job with our program no matter how much some of you don’t like his style. How many 11-2 seasons have we had? There was a time when we weren’t winning a damn thing if we weee busted up and injured. In the Fritz era, we had plenty of moments when he found a way to get the job done with several players out.

I have to give Fritz credit for where he took us. Bashing him is crazy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We didn't have plenty of moments when he found a way. He had one good season. 11 wins against lightweights and by small margins isn't special. Hunter won 20 games last year because we played a bunch of bad teams. We got nowhere because of it. Now we will get a minor bowl out of it. 82 teams make bowls now. It doesn't mean what it used too.
Pepper
Swell

I think what's missing is we are in a conference that didn't have many heavy weights to begin with. Cinci, had one special season and UCF had 2. We had 1 last year and SMU was close this year. This is the norm. We were not and today are not a power conference. A lack of commitment by the University is why we are where we are and no big money donor is coming to the rescue. If the school really thought that one great year was going to catapult us into P5 or bring massive dollars to us, it was fool's gold. Having a coach consistently win at Tulane and having him stay says a lot about WF. In the past TU has been very hesitant to announce what they are doing. This year they talked about facility upgrades but unfortunately not 1 stake has been put in the ground. I do believe our list of HC candidates will be better because the program is in better shape and if you win it can get you a better job.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

$6 million
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/jeff ... 7a33e.html
If Fritz does take the job, it will be about more than just the financial package, which is expected to be almost double the roughly $3 million annual salary he earned at Tulane this year.

The appeal of the Houston job is a personal one for Fritz, more so than the Georgia Tech position he turned down a year ago. He spent more than a dozen years of his coaching career in the Houston area. His daughter, Lainie, and son, Wes, were born there during Fritz’s tenure at Sam Houston State and consider Houston home.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

6 mill vs 4.5 mill.
IPF & Football Ops Bldg vs none
16K square footage weight room vs 5K
40k stadium vs 28k stadium
Big 12 vs AAC
Win or get fired vs stay till retirement.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:54 am 6 mill vs 4.5 mill.
IPF & Football Ops Bldg vs none
16K square footage weight room vs 5K
40k stadium vs 28k stadium
Big 12 vs AAC
Win or get fired vs stay till retirement.
Yep. Unfortunately Tulane is very content with all of those scenarios. I promise you the next Tulane coach won’t get anything close $4.5 million either. See Chris Scelfo’s pay. Bowden stays was rumored to have received $800K but we all knew he wasn’t going to stay. Instead CS was hired at $350K. Same thing going down with WF. Our next coach won’t be getting $4.5M nothing close to that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:42 am $6 million
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/jeff ... 7a33e.html
If Fritz does take the job, it will be about more than just the financial package, which is expected to be almost double the roughly $3 million annual salary he earned at Tulane this year.

The appeal of the Houston job is a personal one for Fritz, more so than the Georgia Tech position he turned down a year ago. He spent more than a dozen years of his coaching career in the Houston area. His daughter, Lainie, and son, Wes, were born there during Fritz’s tenure at Sam Houston State and consider Houston home.
Then hopefully WF says yes to Houston today & we move on. Tulane would be nuts 🌰 🌰🌰 to pay this guy 6 million a year.

And, if Willie goes the way of Applewhite & Holgorsen @ Houston, he is going to have one Hell of a golden💰parachute on the way out!
greenie78
Riptide

The new coach should make close to what Fritz was making if the school is serious.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 am The new coach should make close to what Fritz was making if the school is serious.
+1, no going back to the Scott Cowen era of “something for nothing” for Tulane athletics.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 am The new coach should make close to what Fritz was making if the school is serious.
Which is roughly $3M.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

What is the buyout on Fritz? I saw somewhere it was $10 million. Anyone have that info. Could turn into a good payday for Tulane.