Interesting tidbit regarding future P5 expansion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:41 pm Personally, I think 16 is a farce. How can you legitimately have a "conference champion if most of the teams don't even play each other. Even with 16 teams, if you're playing 9 conf games a year, you may be seeing some teams only once every 3 years. Is it really a conference at that point? I can potentially see a season where two schools don't play each other at all in any of the three major sports the same year. Are they really conference mates at that point?
You can have a legitimate conference championship with a 16-team conference--just conduct a conference playoff with the four pod champions. This would be a perfect way to fill the first two weeks of the 30-day dead period between the end of the regular season and the better bowls starting in late December. All the while, the also-ran teams can go ahead and start playing the give-a-s#it bowl games in early December. These conference playoffs would be as important as the formal CFP games--gotta win to stay alive. TV revenue would skyrocket for each conference.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 am The Pac10 biggest obstacle, is their time zone....most eastern and central time zone residents hardly ever watch a pac10 game...the pac10 needs the central time zone, the central time zone one does not need the pac10...the only three schools the big12 will consider from the pac10 are colroado, 'zona and 'zona state and that is for the east of travel for all sports teams and provides regional playmates for byu.... all the others are pain in the business class....... eventually Kansas is headed to the ACC, which needs the central time zone, and will give them the KCMO tv market, Memphis State and/or Tulane may be included in that expansion
Great points Golf. With CTZ teams, the PAC would draw CTZ eyeballs because suddenly some of those PAC PTZ games have an impact on the PAC CTZ teams' fortunes. Not to mention it completely opens up the recruiting territory for the PAC teams--suddenly PAC PTZ teams can recruit in the CTZ, and the PAC CTZ teams can recruit in the PTZ.

And similarly, though to a lesser extent, the ACC would benefit from some CTZ presence. I would expect Memphis would have the inside track because of their past rivalry with Louisville. Louisville would definitely lobby for them over us--I'm not sure we would have any spear carrier working on our behalf with the ACC.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

I think Memphis's academics would hurt them with the ACC. If we keep winning the way we are, in my opinion we would have a better shot at the ACC due to our fertile recruiting area and our academics.
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:01 pm
Ruski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:59 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:14 pm

If the PAC10 expands, it needs to go big (to 16 and pod play) and needs to go to the CTZ, by adding SMU, Tulane and either CSU, Memphis or Rice (if they are compelled to get into the Houston TV market)--but their commish seems paralyzed and may be spending his time trying to form another alliance :o .

I just saw the 2023 College TV rankings, and Tulane moved up one spot from #66 to #65. The only G5 schools (not including Cincy and UCF) ahead of us were CSU (#64), Army and Navy. We were ahead of many P5 schools including UH as well as Arizona State, Colorado and a number of other PAC12 teams. With our national alumni base, we actually have quite a few TV eyeballs when were competitively relevant, something that Dannen and Fitts need to be pushing. It's also worth noting that more of our current freshman class came from California than any other state.
Sorry but I'm gonna call BS. You gotta link to backup that TV claim?
Ruski, it's always easier to call BS on a post than it is to do a little Google research. Here, I'll spoon feed it to you.

I happily stand corrected.

Still, there's a huge jump to get any higher. Cincy is 10 spots ahead of Tulane, with nearly double viewership and 655k. While falling 10 spots back to 75 would only be a drop of 50k viewers.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13034
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:27 pm I think Memphis's academics would hurt them with the ACC. If we keep winning the way we are, in my opinion we would have a better shot at the ACC due to our fertile recruiting area and our academics.
L'ville and Memphis are hardly bastions of superior academics ...but the ACC to the 'Ville with great fanfare

L'ville is number 182 in academic ranking
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/un ... C%20%23182.

Memphis State is 263
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/un ... 2416%2C764.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:01 pm
Ruski, it's always easier to call BS on a post than it is to do a little Google research. Here, I'll spoon feed it to you.

These numbers, if anything, show that we were a HORRIBLE TV draw even in our finest year in modern history. Those number show we averaged 354K viewers after games against Kansas St, Cincinatti and UCF, who average 1.23 million, 653k and 510k respectively. (Outside of K-State) those aren't great by any measure, but take them out and our remaining 9 games averaged 206k.

Prior to this season, you were hard-pressed to find a Tulane game that had TV ratings with a whole number in front of the decimal. The Cotton Bowl set a record low viewership. Tulane is far from a good TV draw, we're a small school with athletic apathy rampant among it's alumni. And the New Orleans TV market is somewhere in the 50s, so TV viewership is not going to be our ticket to a P5 (or P4) invite. I agree with the original BS flag: Tulane is not a driver of TV ratings by any stretch of the imagination.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
MicMan
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Tulane would need an undefeated season, a Heisman contender, upsets of ranked teams, and an invite to the CFP, to draw any meaningful TV ratings.

Even then, a house isn't built overnight.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:25 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 am The Pac10 biggest obstacle, is their time zone....most eastern and central time zone residents hardly ever watch a pac10 game...the pac10 needs the central time zone, the central time zone one does not need the pac10...the only three schools the big12 will consider from the pac10 are colroado, 'zona and 'zona state and that is for the east of travel for all sports teams and provides regional playmates for byu.... all the others are pain in the business class....... eventually Kansas is headed to the ACC, which needs the central time zone, and will give them the KCMO tv market, Memphis State and/or Tulane may be included in that expansion
Great points Golf. With CTZ teams, the PAC would draw CTZ eyeballs because suddenly some of those PAC PTZ games have an impact on the PAC CTZ teams' fortunes. Not to mention it completely opens up the recruiting territory for the PAC teams--suddenly PAC PTZ teams can recruit in the CTZ, and the PAC CTZ teams can recruit in the PTZ.

And similarly, though to a lesser extent, the ACC would benefit from some CTZ presence. I would expect Memphis would have the inside track because of their past rivalry with Louisville. Louisville would definitely lobby for them over us--I'm not sure we would have any spear carrier working on our behalf with the ACC.
Louisville's rival is Kentucky. IF they had a rival in the AAC or C-USA it would be Cincinnati. Memphis isn't exactly in Louisville's neighborhood.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:42 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:01 pm
Ruski, it's always easier to call BS on a post than it is to do a little Google research. Here, I'll spoon feed it to you.

These numbers, if anything, show that we were a HORRIBLE TV draw even in our finest year in modern history. Those number show we averaged 354K viewers after games against Kansas St, Cincinatti and UCF, who average 1.23 million, 653k and 510k respectively. (Outside of K-State) those aren't great by any measure, but take them out and our remaining 9 games averaged 206k.

Prior to this season, you were hard-pressed to find a Tulane game that had TV ratings with a whole number in front of the decimal. The Cotton Bowl set a record low viewership. Tulane is far from a good TV draw, we're a small school with athletic apathy rampant among it's alumni. And the New Orleans TV market is somewhere in the 50s, so TV viewership is not going to be our ticket to a P5 (or P4) invite. I agree with the original BS flag: Tulane is not a driver of TV ratings by any stretch of the imagination.
Put your BS flag back in your pocket D. Last year, in our worst year in sometime, we were #66 and actually had a higher per game average of viewership. And only slightly below UCF's average, and again well above UH. Cincy and UCF show that sustained winning can improve viewership. The bottom line is to the extent that viewership is considered an important variable for P5 access, then we are now near the top of G5 viewership ranking, and much better than most of us would have expected. So put your white surrender flag away, along with your BS flag. How conferences assess such data may vary wildly, but the viewership facts are the facts. Here are the 2021 viewership stats.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:25 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 am The Pac10 biggest obstacle, is their time zone....most eastern and central time zone residents hardly ever watch a pac10 game...the pac10 needs the central time zone, the central time zone one does not need the pac10...the only three schools the big12 will consider from the pac10 are colroado, 'zona and 'zona state and that is for the east of travel for all sports teams and provides regional playmates for byu.... all the others are pain in the business class....... eventually Kansas is headed to the ACC, which needs the central time zone, and will give them the KCMO tv market, Memphis State and/or Tulane may be included in that expansion
Great points Golf. With CTZ teams, the PAC would draw CTZ eyeballs because suddenly some of those PAC PTZ games have an impact on the PAC CTZ teams' fortunes. Not to mention it completely opens up the recruiting territory for the PAC teams--suddenly PAC PTZ teams can recruit in the CTZ, and the PAC CTZ teams can recruit in the PTZ.

And similarly, though to a lesser extent, the ACC would benefit from some CTZ presence. I would expect Memphis would have the inside track because of their past rivalry with Louisville. Louisville would definitely lobby for them over us--I'm not sure we would have any spear carrier working on our behalf with the ACC.
Louisville's rival is Kentucky. IF they had a rival in the AAC or C-USA it would be Cincinnati. Memphis isn't exactly in Louisville's neighborhood.
I lived several years in Louisville. Louisville always considered Memphis at a key rival, and at best would be indifferent as to which of the two schools should be invited to the ACC. And more importantly for us, they would vastly prefer both over Tulane.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 am
I lived several years in Louisville. Louisville always considered Memphis at a key rival, and at best would be indifferent as to which of the two schools should be invited to the ACC. And more importantly for us, they would vastly prefer both over Tulane.
Without knowing, I'd bet if anyone had ANY opinion about Tulane at Louisville when you lived there it was either after they just exited the C-USA or while Tulane's idea of a great season was 7-5 since most were under .500. That would be a reason to think negatively about Tulane Athletics, otherwise we weren't thought of at all.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 am
I lived several years in Louisville. Louisville always considered Memphis at a key rival, and at best would be indifferent as to which of the two schools should be invited to the ACC. And more importantly for us, they would vastly prefer both over Tulane.
Without knowing, I'd bet if anyone had ANY opinion about Tulane at Louisville when you lived there it was either after they just exited the C-USA or while Tulane's idea of a great season was 7-5 since most were under .500. That would be a reason to think negatively about Tulane Athletics, otherwise we weren't thought of at all.
The Louisville fan base has never seen Tulane as a serious or worthy opponent. In fact, if the ACC rules enable any member to veto a new candidate school, I don't think we'll ever get an ACC invite just because of Louisville. Hopefully the ACC rules require more than one veto to keep a school out.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
GreenLantern
Riptide
Posts: 3288
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am The Louisville fan base has never seen Tulane as a serious or worthy opponent. In fact, if the ACC rules enable any member to veto a new candidate school, I don't think we'll ever get an ACC invite just because of Louisville. Hopefully the ACC rules require more than one veto to keep a school out.
Irony. Louisville is indeed a paradigm of virtue. I recall several scandals with Louisville and Petrino:
  • Female who had sexual encounter with Petino and later attempted to extort money
  • Adidas front a cool $100K to a Petino recruit
  • Prostitute who matched exotic "dancers" with Louisville recruits
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 am
I lived several years in Louisville. Louisville always considered Memphis at a key rival, and at best would be indifferent as to which of the two schools should be invited to the ACC. And more importantly for us, they would vastly prefer both over Tulane.
Without knowing, I'd bet if anyone had ANY opinion about Tulane at Louisville when you lived there it was either after they just exited the C-USA or while Tulane's idea of a great season was 7-5 since most were under .500. That would be a reason to think negatively about Tulane Athletics, otherwise we weren't thought of at all.
The Louisville fan base has never seen Tulane as a serious or worthy opponent. In fact, if the ACC rules enable any member to veto a new candidate school, I don't think we'll ever get an ACC invite just because of Louisville. Hopefully the ACC rules require more than one veto to keep a school out.
You're agreeing with me, or I'm agreeing with you!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:00 am
Put your BS flag back in your pocket D. Last year, in our worst year in sometime, we were #66 and actually had a higher per game average of viewership. And only slightly below UCF's average, and again well above UH. Cincy and UCF show that sustained winning can improve viewership. The bottom line is to the extent that viewership is considered an important variable for P5 access, then we are now near the top of G5 viewership ranking, and much better than most of us would have expected. So put your white surrender flag away, along with your BS flag. How conferences assess such data may vary wildly, but the viewership facts are the facts.
Facts are facts, and I think you need to check yours. If what you say in this post is true, it KILLS your own argument! Let's say it's true, in 2021 we were 66th. The article you site is 2022 viewers (and that article doesn't site it's source, btw). So if we were 66th in 2021 and had our best season and the best story in FBS in 2022 what did it do for our viewership: Moved us ALL THE WAY UP TO 65! Wow, we went up 1 spot despite the greatest turnaround in FBS history. That tells me and most sane people our ceiling is 65th. Either way, your argument is hollow. You preached and talked down to me about facts. There's nothing factual or made up in this post. What facts am I missing?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am The Louisville fan base has never seen Tulane as a serious or worthy opponent. In fact, if the ACC rules enable any member to veto a new candidate school, I don't think we'll ever get an ACC invite just because of Louisville. Hopefully the ACC rules require more than one veto to keep a school out.
Irony. Louisville is indeed a paradigm of virtue. I recall several scandals with Louisville and Petrino:
  • Female who had sexual encounter with Petino and later attempted to extort money
  • Adidas front a cool $100K to a Petino recruit
  • Prostitute who matched exotic "dancers" with Louisville recruits
And don't forget when Pitino was caught nailing a gal on the table of a popular restaurant. All these scandals plus their academic standing all beg the question of how the ACC could throw away their longstanding reputation to add one school.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:20 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:00 am
Put your BS flag back in your pocket D. Last year, in our worst year in sometime, we were #66 and actually had a higher per game average of viewership. And only slightly below UCF's average, and again well above UH. Cincy and UCF show that sustained winning can improve viewership. The bottom line is to the extent that viewership is considered an important variable for P5 access, then we are now near the top of G5 viewership ranking, and much better than most of us would have expected. So put your white surrender flag away, along with your BS flag. How conferences assess such data may vary wildly, but the viewership facts are the facts.
Facts are facts, and I think you need to check yours. If what you say in this post is true, it KILLS your own argument! Let's say it's true, in 2021 we were 66th. The article you site is 2022 viewers (and that article doesn't site it's source, btw). So if we were 66th in 2021 and had our best season and the best story in FBS in 2022 what did it do for our viewership: Moved us ALL THE WAY UP TO 65! Wow, we went up 1 spot despite the greatest turnaround in FBS history. That tells me and most sane people our ceiling is 65th. Either way, your argument is hollow. You preached and talked down to me about facts. There's nothing factual or made up in this post. What facts am I missing?
I'll let you research the accuracy of the two articles, having now attached the 2021 ratings. The fact that you seem so eager to overlook is that as of now, we are one of the top four G5 schools when it comes to viewership. There is no guarantee that will continue--it's now largely up to Gibson Hall and Wilson Center as to whether we can stay or improve on our mid-60's rating. A similar study, that averaged viewership from 2015 through 2019, ranked us second to last. So, winning, even gradually, seems to have significantly improved interest in Tulane football, and we now stand at a level where we don't have to apologize for our viewership--we can now point to it along with the many other Tulane pluses that we have discussed countless times on this board, when discussing admission into a P5 money trough. I would expect that we reap the benefits of this season in our viewership next season, given our climb into relevance occurred largely in the last two months of this season. And if not, we'll just have to settle for the mid-60's and assume we've topped out ahead of most G5, and ahead of several P5 teams.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:57 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:20 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:00 am
Put your BS flag back in your pocket D. Last year, in our worst year in sometime, we were #66 and actually had a higher per game average of viewership. And only slightly below UCF's average, and again well above UH. Cincy and UCF show that sustained winning can improve viewership. The bottom line is to the extent that viewership is considered an important variable for P5 access, then we are now near the top of G5 viewership ranking, and much better than most of us would have expected. So put your white surrender flag away, along with your BS flag. How conferences assess such data may vary wildly, but the viewership facts are the facts.
Facts are facts, and I think you need to check yours. If what you say in this post is true, it KILLS your own argument! Let's say it's true, in 2021 we were 66th. The article you site is 2022 viewers (and that article doesn't site it's source, btw). So if we were 66th in 2021 and had our best season and the best story in FBS in 2022 what did it do for our viewership: Moved us ALL THE WAY UP TO 65! Wow, we went up 1 spot despite the greatest turnaround in FBS history. That tells me and most sane people our ceiling is 65th. Either way, your argument is hollow. You preached and talked down to me about facts. There's nothing factual or made up in this post. What facts am I missing?
I'll let you research the accuracy of the two articles, having now attached the 2021 ratings. The fact that you seem so eager to overlook is that as of now, we are one of the top four G5 schools when it comes to viewership. There is no guarantee that will continue--it's now largely up to Gibson Hall and Wilson Center as to whether we can stay or improve on our mid-60's rating. A similar study, that averaged viewership from 2015 through 2019, ranked us second to last. So, winning, even gradually, seems to have significantly improved interest in Tulane football, and we now stand at a level where we don't have to apologize for our viewership--we can now point to it along with the many other Tulane pluses that we have discussed countless times on this board, when discussing admission into a P5 money trough. I would expect that we reap the benefits of this season in our viewership next season, given our climb into relevance occurred largely in the last two months of this season. And if not, we'll just have to settle for the mid-60's and assume we've topped out ahead of most G5, and ahead of several P5 teams.
Your posts contradict one another.

That's enough for me, though. It doesn't matter if you believe we have competitive ratings and I do not.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

I agree with the premise of the Article in that Warren wanted the B1G to add Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford, and his moving on likely ends that conversation. Subsequently, I told Baylor fans in Texas that that was a worst case scenario as leaving those teams behind made the PAC12 stable so that the Big 12 could not poach teams from there. The net result is that the landscape will probably be stable until either the ACC deal ends or Notre Dame joins a conference, as UNC/UVA/Clemson/FSU will be large players in the next round of major realignment. While I believed that the B1G would have added those 4 PAC teams and allowed the 4 ACC teams to go to the SEC, that does not appear to be in the cards.

In the meantime, the PAC12 may or may not expand at all, as it has a solid foundation without a need to add SDSU/SMU/UNLV/Boise - a 9 game round robin is fine now, especially with the guaranteed access to the playoffs with the top 6 championship teams. If the amazon money is good enough (i.e. more than Big 12 per team), the PAC 12 will be in a good place.

Tulane's path to a P5 is unclear now. Assuming that the SEC/B1G are completely off the table, the remaining conferences would not be interested. Maybe once the ACC collapses Tulane could get an invite there?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Zombie, I may be wrong, but I think UVa and UNC are both committed to the ACC for the long haul. If some combination of Louisville, Clemson, FSU and Miami left, and ND joined for football, it would be a very prestigious academic conference with damned good sports. At that point, they'd be looking to add peer programs and we'd be at the top of the list. It's a far-fetched scenario that would be using academics to help lead us into a "P". Regardless, we need to keep winning to stay at the top of these hypothetical lists.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 pm Zombie, I may be wrong, but I think UVa and UNC are both committed to the ACC for the long haul. If some combination of Louisville, Clemson, FSU and Miami left, and ND joined for football, it would be a very prestigious academic conference with damned good sports. At that point, they'd be looking to add peer programs and we'd be at the top of the list. It's a far-fetched scenario that would be using academics to help lead us into a "P". Regardless, we need to keep winning to stay at the top of these hypothetical lists.
UNC is probably the most desirable full member program in the ACC to either the SEC or B1G - so much so that it would be shocking if the ACC lost full members and UNC was not one of them. UNC combines top tier FBS academics, a 2nd tier recruiting state (tier after Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia), over 30k enrollment, elite basketball, a state where neither the B1G/SEC have a footprint, 2 top 25 media markets (Raleigh and Charlotte), etc. Of what remains outside if the B1G/SEC/ND, it’s a crown jewel and I doubt it’s stakeholders would be okay with it being in a 2nd tier conference by choice after the next realignment (ACC).
tufinal4
Low Tide
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am
Status: Offline

Those rankings prove we're as good an option as anyone left on the board, that's all we have to be. On top of that, we are an AAU school, we operate in a recruiting hotbed, and we are in a top 50 TV market. I think we're in pretty good shape now that the football program is ranked.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 pm UNC is probably the most desirable full member program in the ACC to either the SEC or B1G - so much so that it would be shocking if the ACC lost full members and UNC was not one of them. UNC combines top tier FBS academics, a 2nd tier recruiting state (tier after Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia), over 30k enrollment, elite basketball, a state where neither the B1G/SEC have a footprint, 2 top 25 media markets (Raleigh and Charlotte), etc. Of what remains outside if the B1G/SEC/ND, it’s a crown jewel and I doubt it’s stakeholders would be okay with it being in a 2nd tier conference by choice after the next realignment (ACC).
I don't disagree at all the UNC (and to an extent UVa) are really the kingpins of keeping the ACC together. What I think you and many others downplay, or fail to account for, is the desire of quite a few of the founding members of the ACC to keep it going and keep it one of the top 4 conferences. Many feel it's still a step ahead of the PAC 12 and Big 12 and will be more so after the PAC 12 loses USC and UCLA and Big 12 loses OU and UT. IF Notre Dame puts football into the ACC (they're already members for most other sports) the ACC could lose FSU and Miami and survive. Many, particularly on this board, think ND will end up in the B1G. They may, but it speaks volumes that they did NOT go that route with their 20+ other sports.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Greeniegb
Surge
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:41 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 pm UNC is probably the most desirable full member program in the ACC to either the SEC or B1G - so much so that it would be shocking if the ACC lost full members and UNC was not one of them. UNC combines top tier FBS academics, a 2nd tier recruiting state (tier after Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia), over 30k enrollment, elite basketball, a state where neither the B1G/SEC have a footprint, 2 top 25 media markets (Raleigh and Charlotte), etc. Of what remains outside if the B1G/SEC/ND, it’s a crown jewel and I doubt it’s stakeholders would be okay with it being in a 2nd tier conference by choice after the next realignment (ACC).
I don't disagree at all the UNC (and to an extent UVa) are really the kingpins of keeping the ACC together. What I think you and many others downplay, or fail to account for, is the desire of quite a few of the founding members of the ACC to keep it going and keep it one of the top 4 conferences. Many feel it's still a step ahead of the PAC 12 and Big 12 and will be more so after the PAC 12 loses USC and UCLA and Big 12 loses OU and UT. IF Notre Dame puts football into the ACC (they're already members for most other sports) the ACC could lose FSU and Miami and survive. Many, particularly on this board, think ND will end up in the B1G. They may, but it speaks volumes that they did NOT go that route with their 20+ other sports.
Forget the ACC
Will the ACC survive? The only thing currently keeping the ACC together is the league’s grant of rights. In 2016, the ACC Council of Presidents unanimously agreed upon the current rights, which run through 2035-36 and stipulate that an ACC school’s media rights remain with the conference through that period regardless of membership status.
Is the ACC in trouble?
The ACC isn’t in immediate trouble yet, but its days as anything close to an equal partner with the SEC and Big Ten are all but over. The uneven nature of media rights likely would have lured USC and UCLA to leave anyway. Big Ten schools may earn $50 million or more per year than Pac-12 schools when its new television contracts are announced.
David Thompson, USA TODAY NETWORK
July 6, 2022·6 min read
It would seem the Atlantic Coast Conference is nearing its end, or at least on its way to a shakeup that could lead to a mass exodus from the league.
The ACC is in real trouble. That disastrous contract will ensure the -- goldendomer 01/23/2022 10:51AM. ESPN clearly doesn’t want to open the contract
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11537
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Why did you make that bold, gbg?

The ACC doesn't need to keep up with the Joneses (SEC and B1G). They need to stay ahead of the McCoys (Big 12 and Pac 12). They are in zero danger of falling behind eithe. Again, if ND puts football in, as I mentioned above, the ACC will survive losing their Florida schools.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply