Pratt for Heisman

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:08 am True dat. Thank goodness Pratt and Hughes have the talent to get things done on ther own.
It's frustrating because the team has no margin of error each week to stay ranked, win the conference championship, and get a back-to-back NY6 bid, meaning every play, drive, quarter, etc counts, yet they're coming down to the wire each week against subpar opponents with the exception of Memphis which we actually won by double digits and didn't need a big play in the final minutes. I know the players and coaches are trying hard, but it's very stressful for us fans knowing this tremendous opportunity could end very quickly.

Show Me
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:03 am I don't think the offensive line has been good by any means. I'm not seeing a consistent clean pocket for Pratt and Hughes is making a lot of his own yardage especially against really bad teams. ECU's o-line was getting much more of a push in the running game compared to what our o-line was doing yesterday. But I do think the scheme doesn't help either. I have a feeling Fritz is putting his own Jim Mora spin on the offense because of lack of confidence somewhere. The talent is there to put up big points, but there's no urgency in play-calling, tempo, and execution. Hardly any screens to the RBs, as well as the backs being used in the passing game. Shedro Louis was supposed to bring a Darren Sproles type of impact to the offense and he's been wasted. SCJ was also meant to be used in space more, and he and Louis were consistently asked to run between the tackles. We have alot of speed and talent at WR which is not being used well. Bauman may be the best TE we've had since Cory Gleason. The o-line is experienced, Pratt is experienced, and we have another 1,000 yard rusher in Hughes. Yet, this offense is as bad as since before Will Hall took over.
No screens because no Tyjae. Different team this year. Higher expectations. We are 8-1 now and most experts predicted that or 7-2 at this point. Ugly wins are better than losing. The one thing going forward is that we’ve yet to play our best game. Hopefully we continue to win until that happens.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Again, I repeat, our O-Line is NO WORSE THAN AVERAGE. I didn't say they were good, dominant or anything other than average. And I stand by the statement. Others say our O-line is bad, or stinks all together. Not true. Playcalling has taken 3 steps back from a year ago. The idea of getting the ball to our speed talent on the edges has dissappeared. In short, Slade Nagel has proven to be a poor OC.

We've had multiple instances of running the ball successfully when everyone in the stadium and watching on tv knows we're about to run the ball. We did it in one game, possibly UNT, 12 plays in a row across a couple of drives. And the D failed to stop us. We scored a TD and were about to score another when a fumble ended the drive. I'm not advocating that type of play calling (though it does fire up an O-Line and takes the heart out of the D) but you don't do that with a bad O-Line. And Pratt's injuries have been mostly due to his own poor decision making during a play. Period.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:22 am No screens because no Tyjae. Different team this year. Higher expectations. We are 8-1 now and most experts predicted that or 7-2 at this point. Ugly wins are better than losing. The one thing going forward is that we’ve yet to play our best game. Hopefully we continue to win until that happens.
We do have some backs who can catch out of the backfield like SCJ and Louis, but they're not being used enough because Fritz is playing it close to the vest right now offensively by leaning on Hughes in the running game. I think the offense has an identity crisis right now. The o-line isn't built to be a power running game, but the play-calling isn't attacking in the passing game either.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:14 am
winwave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:08 am True dat. Thank goodness Pratt and Hughes have the talent to get things done on ther own.
It's frustrating because the team has no margin of error each week to stay ranked, win the conference championship, and get a back-to-back NY6 bid, meaning every play, drive, quarter, etc counts, yet they're coming down to the wire each week against subpar opponents with the exception of Memphis which we actually won by double digits and didn't need a big play in the final minutes. I know the players and coaches are trying hard, but it's very stressful for us fans knowing this tremendous opportunity could end very quickly.
It is stressful. All this against a very weak schedule. We need to hit the portal hard to improve the weak OL play. Our next QB won't be as tough and as athletic and as good an escape artist as Pratt.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:39 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:22 am No screens because no Tyjae. Different team this year. Higher expectations. We are 8-1 now and most experts predicted that or 7-2 at this point. Ugly wins are better than losing. The one thing going forward is that we’ve yet to play our best game. Hopefully we continue to win until that happens.
We do have some backs who can catch out of the backfield like SCJ and Louis, but they're not being used enough because Fritz is playing it close to the vest right now offensively by leaning on Hughes in the running game. I think the offense has an identity crisis right now. The o-line isn't built to be a power running game, but the play-calling isn't attacking in the passing game either.
Fritz ran off Svoboda and McMenamin because they weren't conservative enough for him. He can control Nagle. How insulting it must be to Nagle when the other site has a thread calling him out and they can't even spell his name correctly.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:41 am It is stressful. All this against a very weak schedule. We need to hit the portal hard to improve the weak OL play. Our next QB won't be as tough and as athletic and as good an escape artist as Pratt.
I wonder how easy it is to improve the o-line in the portal. I heard somewhere it's one of the hardest positions to improve. We also need to find an experienced QB to compete with Mensah next season.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:45 am Fritz ran off Svoboda and McMenamin because they weren't conservative enough for him. He can control Nagle. How insulting it must be to Nagle when the other site has a thread calling him out and they can't even spell his name correctly.
I had the same thought yesterday thinking Fritz has Nagle to run the offense so he can kinda control the offense more. Ever since the second quarter of the USA game when Pratt got clobbered on that sack fumble, the offense hasn't been consistently aggressive. Nagle has been with Fritz since the beginning and Fritz probably feels comfortable with Nagle running a ball-control offense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:48 am
winwave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:41 am It is stressful. All this against a very weak schedule. We need to hit the portal hard to improve the weak OL play. Our next QB won't be as tough and as athletic and as good an escape artist as Pratt.
I wonder how easy it is to improve the o-line in the portal. I heard somewhere it's one of the hardest positions to improve. We also need to find an experienced QB to compete with Mensah next season.
It is hard but it's our best place to try as it is very rare to have a HS lineman come in and be able to start as a freshman. Agree on the QB position.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:39 am
“Some” backs are not Tyjae. Not sure how this discussion landed in the Pratt For Heisman thread though. Sorry for conflating here.
Bottom line we are not making plays. Dropped TD’s, missed FG’s etc.
Greeniegb
Swell

Pratt's injured hand:

What is wrong with this coaching staff, Pratt jams his finger says he was unable to pass, but no team doctor looks at him, he stays in the game, no taping to prevent further injury??? He could have torn or strained ligaments that could show up today. East Carolina is not dumb they could see he was shaking his hand in pain!!! They could jam the box giving up the pass. At the least a team doctor should have checked him out. Ibeita or Horton can hand off the ball for God sake. We have the rest of the season and chances keep getting taken on Pratt. The pounding has taken its toll, Pratt is not the same Quarterback as last year. Who knows what other injuries are being covered up!!! At least if Horton or Ibieta came in East Carolina would have to be ready for the pass also.
greenie78
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:11 am Pratt's injured hand:

What is wrong with this coaching staff, Pratt jams his finger says he was unable to pass, but no team doctor looks at him, he stays in the game, no taping to prevent further injury??? He could have torn or strained ligaments that could show up today. East Carolina is not dumb they could see he was shaking his hand in pain!!! They could jam the box giving up the pass. At the least a team doctor should have checked him out. Ibeita or Horton can hand off the ball for God sake. We have the rest of the season and chances keep getting taken on Pratt. The pounding has taken its toll, Pratt is not the same Quarterback as last year. Who knows what other injuries are being covered up!!! At least if Horton or Ibieta came in East Carolina would have to be ready for the pass also.
Yeah that hand injury doesn't look great at all.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:33 am

Bad that it’s his throwing hand as well. We can beat Tulsa with him out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:41 am

Trying to be fair, King played with a cast, but effort must be made to diagnose and prevent further injury, none of this is happening in Pratt's case. He could have torn ligaments, we will never know!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:48 am
I'd love to see us make a strong run for QB Riser out of Utah. Offer up NIL money and a chance at one of the twelve CFP spots. We have great RBs. and WRs. And Riser is very mobile.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:52 am I'd love to see us make a strong run for QB Riser out of Utah. Offer up NIL money and a chance at one of the twelve CFP spots. We have great RBs. and WRs. And Riser is very mobile.
Riser could be a great add once fully healthy from his ACL injury. I think another NY6 appearance will make this program even more attractive in the transfer portal.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:48 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:41 am

Trying to be fair, King played with a cast, but effort must be made to diagnose and prevent further injury, none of this is happening in Pratt's case. He could have torn ligaments, we will never know!!!
Yes on King but the cast wasn’t on his throwing hand. We ran shotgun on every play since he couldn’t take a snap from center.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

What, no Frank Harris.. " :UTSA Superman?" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well deserved! Congrats!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Congrats to Michael Pratt, the best QB Tulane has ever had.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Well done , congratulations .
You and AAC Coach of the Year Coach Fritz will do it again next year !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Www.TheAthletic.com
Pratt would be the #1 portal QB but is expected to go pro. He’d probably get millions in NIL money should he go to the highest bidder.
Michael Pratt, Tulane: Pratt would be considered the No. 1 quarterback on the market among many Power 5 coaching staffs who’ve been hoping he’d transfer for the past year. Most expect him to enter the NFL Draft after finishing out his senior season at Tulane and potentially leading his squad to back-to-back New Year’s Six bowl games.

The Florida native has been superb from the moment he took over as a true freshman in 2020 and has produced more than 9,000 career passing yards and nearly 1,200 rushing yards with 115 total touchdowns and 25 interceptions.

“He’d be the top guy on our board if he transfers and doesn’t go pro,” said the Pac-12 DPP. “He’s a fun player. Arm talent is pretty good. He processes the game well. He has below average mechanics and his accuracy is average, but he’s a savvy runner who evades defenders. He’s elusive in the pocket and runs through arm tackles. Makes really good decisions, has high-level anticipation, tough — there’s a lot to like with him.”
Tulane Class of 1981