Coach Willie Fritz has rebuilt his rebuild at Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Nice piece out of ESPN about Willie and the team. For the most part everything we already know. Talks a bit about Dannen's search for Fritz. I really think Willie is smart enough that if we give him 5m a year, he'll retire here.

Would love to see him stay and just turn Tulane into an AAC powerhouse with a floor of 8 wins a season and in contention of a conference championship every year. Like the old Boise but with an actual path to the Playoffs with the new format.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ild-tulane


Wave Fan
Low Tide
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Status: Offline

Ruski wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:37 am Nice piece out of ESPN about Willie and the team. For the most part everything we already know. Talks a bit about Dannen's search for Fritz. I really think Willie is smart enough that if we give him 5m a year, he'll retire here.

Would love to see him stay and just turn Tulane into an AAC powerhouse with a floor of 8 wins a season and in contention of a conference championship every year. Like the old Boise but with an actual path to the Playoffs with the new format.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ild-tulane
I've thought from the very beginning he is the perfect fit for Tulane,
User avatar
Bigschtick
Riptide
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

He has got to be figuring that if there is going to be any time to bolt, its now. I never felt he would stay if in this position. We shall see. Whether or not its just like 1998, remains to be seen. Are we really going to be a successful program from year to year or was this anomaly like 1998?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
anEngineer
Swell
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Bigschtick wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:46 am He has got to be figuring that if there is going to be any time to bolt, its now. I never felt he would stay if in this position. We shall see. Whether or not its just like 1998, remains to be seen. Are we really going to be a successful program from year to year or was this anomaly like 1998?
Tommy Bowden was 43. Willie Fritz is 62.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Riptide
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:02 am
Bigschtick wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:46 am He has got to be figuring that if there is going to be any time to bolt, its now. I never felt he would stay if in this position. We shall see. Whether or not its just like 1998, remains to be seen. Are we really going to be a successful program from year to year or was this anomaly like 1998?
Tommy Bowden was 43. Willie Fritz is 62.

Good point! Of course, I hope he stays and continues to build. Per the ESPN article, he is certainly doing quite well financially!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11299
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

I would love to see him stay, but don't think he's earned a lifetime contract, nor is he irreplaceable if he goes. I'm hoping he gets a significant bonus if we win the conference and go to an NY6 game. I wouldn't begrudge him anything if he left for a double or more in salary. He really is perfect for Tulane, and Tulane for him, but it's hard to turn your back on that kind of pay increase.

At the same time, if he can keep Tulane Football at this level, he'll coach in multiple playoff games after the expansion to 12 teams. It would be a fun ride despite playing the schedule we think is brutally unattractive. We definitely need a couple of attractive non-conference games every year and they don't necessarily have to be against P5s.

1-0 on Black Friday.

ROLL WAVE!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Wave Fan
Low Tide
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Status: Offline

Bigschtick wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:35 am
anEngineer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:02 am
Bigschtick wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:46 am He has got to be figuring that if there is going to be any time to bolt, its now. I never felt he would stay if in this position. We shall see. Whether or not its just like 1998, remains to be seen. Are we really going to be a successful program from year to year or was this anomaly like 1998?
Tommy Bowden was 43. Willie Fritz is 62.
I think Bill Snyder was 81 when he retired at Kansas State.
Good point! Of course, I hope he stays and continues to build. Per the ESPN article, he is certainly doing quite well financially!
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21739
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Willie is getting paid $2.5 million and will get $ 3 million with bonuses if he wins out. Even if he wins out I seriously doubt he goes elsewhere. This is year 7. I think P5's would want to see more and his age hurts him there.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:16 pm Willie is getting paid $2.5 million and will get $ 3 million with bonuses if he wins out. Even if he wins out I seriously doubt he goes elsewhere. This is year 7. I think P5's would want to see more and his age hurts him there.
After they went the Scott Frost route, Fritz might be an appealing option for Nebraska. And they got a ton of money to toss around.

I hope Fritz stays until he wins the conference and ideally a NYD bowl game. At that point, he can leave and I will have no hurt feelings. (ok maybe some hurt feelings)
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21739
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Ruski wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:28 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:16 pm Willie is getting paid $2.5 million and will get $ 3 million with bonuses if he wins out. Even if he wins out I seriously doubt he goes elsewhere. This is year 7. I think P5's would want to see more and his age hurts him there.
After they went the Scott Frost route, Fritz might be an appealing option for Nebraska. And they got a ton of money to toss around.

I hope Fritz stays until he wins the conference and ideally a NYD bowl game. At that point, he can leave and I will have no hurt feelings. (ok maybe some hurt feelings)
I don't blelieve he has done enough here to get a job like that. Nebraska needs a home run hire. He doesn't fit that bill. I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11299
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

A quick count is 36 of the current 130 FBS coaches are in their first season. That includes those that started the season and those that took over for a fired coach (aka Cadillac at Auburn.) Let's say 1/3 of those jobs are better than Tulane, that would mean 12 jobs. If there are that many this year, it's hard to imagine none of them would try to hire Fritz.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21739
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

I don't think it's hard to think he won't be in line for any of those. He hasn't had serious consideration for any of the jobs his agent claimed he was up for. He's going to be 63. If somehow he is like you said he can be replaced. Will Hall anybody?
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

I don't think Hall will leave USM for Tulane at this point since the Sun Belt will be as good of a conference if not better than the new AAC.

I think Fritz will get consideration if he can get the team to a AAC championship and NY6 game. 63 isn't that old and he will have a lot more resources to work with at an P5 school.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21739
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tulane would likely more than triple Hall's pay. As to Willie he's coming off of a 2-10 season. If we were going undefeated it might be different but this year is going to look like that team , whoever it is, got in to the NY6 slot because of the rules not because they deserve it.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:40 pm Tulane would likely more than triple Hall's pay. As to Willie he's coming off of a 2-10 season. If we were going undefeated it might be different but this year is going to look like that team , whoever it is, got in to the NY6 slot because of the rules not because they deserve it.
If the Wave can snag a Sun Belt coach, I wouldn't mind taking a look at South Alabama coach Kane Womack who took over a complete rebuild and has them at 9-2 in only his second season. He has P5 experience as a defensive coordinator at Indiana when they were the second best team in the Big Ten in 2020 before taking the USA job.

But I'm with you. I think Fritz will be the coach next season. We probably lose Hampton.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21739
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:46 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:40 pm Tulane would likely more than triple Hall's pay. As to Willie he's coming off of a 2-10 season. If we were going undefeated it might be different but this year is going to look like that team , whoever it is, got in to the NY6 slot because of the rules not because they deserve it.
If the Wave can snag a Sun Belt coach, I wouldn't mind taking a look at South Alabama coach Kane Womack who took over a complete rebuild and has them at 9-2 in only his second season. He has P5 experience as a defensive coordinator at Indiana when they were the second best team in the Big Ten in 2020 before taking the USA job.

But I'm with you. I think Fritz will be the coach next season. We probably lose Hampton.
Womack would deserve a look but Hall would be #1 on the list. Could lose Hampton but again he had a rough year last year so I think bigger schools would want to see more before paying big bucks to him.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Final: Vandy 31, Florida 24.
So, if WF leaves, and he is not leaving, I don’t think we want Billy Napier!
😂
And, elite private schools are football strong!
💪🏻
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:03 pm I don't think Hall will leave USM for Tulane at this point since the Sun Belt will be as good of a conference if not better than the new AAC.

I think Fritz will get consideration if he can get the team to a AAC championship and NY6 game. 63 isn't that old and he will have a lot more resources to work with at an P5 school.
Will Hall is making 800k to live in Hattiesburg. Fritz is making 2.5 mil to live in New Orleans. That's a no brainer move for anyone.
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:58 pm Final: Vandy 31, Florida 24.
So, if WF leaves, and he is not leaving, I don’t think we want Billy Napier!
😂
And, elite private schools are football strong!
💪🏻
holy shit! Can Vandy win against Tenn to go bowling?! Clark Lea might get a statue while he's still coaching! :mrgreen:
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Vandy may have a chance since Hooker injured his knee. Yesterday Tennessee looked like a typical Heupel UCF team. Horrible defense and tons of penalties. He's basically starting from scratch next season as they lose a ton of seniors including Hooker.
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:29 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:03 pm I don't think Hall will leave USM for Tulane at this point since the Sun Belt will be as good of a conference if not better than the new AAC.

I think Fritz will get consideration if he can get the team to a AAC championship and NY6 game. 63 isn't that old and he will have a lot more resources to work with at an P5 school.
Will Hall is making 800k to live in Hattiesburg. Fritz is making 2.5 mil to live in New Orleans. That's a no brainer move for anyone.
I didn't know Hall didn't make as much. But if I went after a Sun Belt coach, I would rather go with Wommack than Hall. He's done alot more in his two years at USA compared to what Hall, plus has P5 coordinator experience. If we didn't choke to them, they would be looking at another losing season.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 23329
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:56 am
Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:29 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:03 pm I don't think Hall will leave USM for Tulane at this point since the Sun Belt will be as good of a conference if not better than the new AAC.

I think Fritz will get consideration if he can get the team to a AAC championship and NY6 game. 63 isn't that old and he will have a lot more resources to work with at an P5 school.
Will Hall is making 800k to live in Hattiesburg. Fritz is making 2.5 mil to live in New Orleans. That's a no brainer move for anyone.
I didn't know Hall didn't make as much. But if I went after a Sun Belt coach, I would rather go with Wommack than Hall. He's done alot more in his two years at USA compared to what Hall, plus has P5 coordinator experience. If we didn't choke to them, they would be looking at another losing season.
If WF does go to Nebraska I don’t think we’d pay $3 million to Hall. Willie earned that over the years. Hall would probably get offered $2 million with heavy incentives. Still more then double his current salary.
The USA coach might be a better candidate.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Look at Willie Fritz's career. Do you think his primary motives are compensation?
This guy appears to have a lot of Bill Snyder in him & in Coaching circles he's a walking legend.
I hope he chooses to stay.
He's perfect for Tulane👍
Wave Fan
Low Tide
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Status: Offline

wave97 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:18 am Look at Willie Fritz's career. Do you think his primary motives are compensation?
This guy appears to have a lot of Bill Snyder in him & in Coaching circles he's a walking legend.
I hope he chooses to stay.
He's perfect for Tulane👍
He looks young for 62! lol
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3359
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Will Hall seems like a Mississippi guy, and we aren't going to pay the next FB coach $2.5 million anyway.
What we need is for Fritz to stay another 2 years, and for these 2 coordinators to really get his system and discipline down pat. Then we can hire internally. We need the next coach to maintain that discipline without begin a screaming drill sergeant about it. Tulane has no chance without discipline and system. Hand that ball to the ref after every play, every time (no other team does that).
We've seen both sides of this. A winning team hiring externally can create a lot traps, as we saw with Jewett. He had coaching deficiencies, but the players rejected him out of hand from the get-go; and a lot of it was due to some of his discipline peculiarities (such as proper alignment for the National Anthem). Scelfo came in here and relaxed the discipline; it's understandable as he's trying to win the players over, but Tulane has no chance without discipline. Of course Scelfo also changed the Offense, changed the defense and the result was a near decade-long disaster.
Post Reply