Schloss vs Pierce

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Dave breslin
Swell
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Who says we don’t have any representation in th CWS? We have two ex coaches and Jewett bought a ticket. And our AD’s office is only across the border from Omaha


billow
High Tide
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm
Status: Offline

We have 3 coaches! If Schloss counts so does Sean Allen
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

billow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm We have 3 coaches! If Schloss counts so does Sean Allen
Funny thing is that Sean Allen would have taken the Tulane job if offered. Dannen went with Uhlman instead
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5379
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:50 pm
billow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm We have 3 coaches! If Schloss counts so does Sean Allen
Funny thing is that Sean Allen would have taken the Tulane job if offered. Dannen went with Uhlman instead
That would have taken AWOL away from his fish'in time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Swell
Posts: 1242
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:50 pm
billow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm We have 3 coaches! If Schloss counts so does Sean Allen
Funny thing is that Sean Allen would have taken the Tulane job if offered. Dannen went with Uhlman instead
Wait a minute. If Dannen had hired Sean Allen and all the portal kids left, how many on this site would have been howling that Dannen is out of touch with the team and sacrificed us to a major rebuild over several years? Neither choice was obviously better than the other. The chosen path with Uhlman has fewer short term risks in that some of the talent stayed. I don't think anyone on this site has the stomach for a multi-year rebuild.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:50 pm
billow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm We have 3 coaches! If Schloss counts so does Sean Allen
Funny thing is that Sean Allen would have taken the Tulane job if offered. Dannen went with Uhlman instead
Wait a minute. If Dannen had hired Sean Allen and all the portal kids left, how many on this site would have been howling that Dannen is out of touch with the team and sacrificed us to a major rebuild over several years? Neither choice was obviously better than the other. The chosen path with Uhlman has fewer short term risks in that some of the talent stayed. I don't think anyone on this site has the stomach for a multi-year rebuild.
Lol
Half the portal kids left anyway. Instead of starting the true rebuild right now, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Unless Uhlman quickly signs some stud transfer pitchers, the team is going to be BAD next year.

I guess you’ve deluded yourself into thinking this is going to work
anEngineer
Swell
Posts: 1242
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Funny thing is that Sean Allen would have taken the Tulane job if offered. Dannen went with Uhlman instead
Wait a minute. If Dannen had hired Sean Allen and all the portal kids left, how many on this site would have been howling that Dannen is out of touch with the team and sacrificed us to a major rebuild over several years? Neither choice was obviously better than the other. The chosen path with Uhlman has fewer short term risks in that some of the talent stayed. I don't think anyone on this site has the stomach for a multi-year rebuild.
Lol
Half the portal kids left anyway. Instead of starting the true rebuild right now, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Unless Uhlman quickly signs some stud transfer pitchers, the team is going to be BAD next year.

I guess you’ve deluded yourself into thinking this is going to work
I am not deluding myself into anything, but to claim that hiring Allen was the magic bullet and using it to beat up on Dannen is just being silly. There are several on this site that just like beating up Dannen no matter what he does. For proof, please visit the Fire Hunter thread. Were you one of those? We lost a few in the portal. So did every other team. Would we have lost them regardless of who we hired? I don't know and neither do you. Would you have preferred that Jewett never got them in the first place? That way, we would not have lost anything.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:30 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 pm

Wait a minute. If Dannen had hired Sean Allen and all the portal kids left, how many on this site would have been howling that Dannen is out of touch with the team and sacrificed us to a major rebuild over several years? Neither choice was obviously better than the other. The chosen path with Uhlman has fewer short term risks in that some of the talent stayed. I don't think anyone on this site has the stomach for a multi-year rebuild.
Lol
Half the portal kids left anyway. Instead of starting the true rebuild right now, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Unless Uhlman quickly signs some stud transfer pitchers, the team is going to be BAD next year.

I guess you’ve deluded yourself into thinking this is going to work
I am not deluding myself into anything, but to claim that hiring Allen was the magic bullet and using it to beat up on Dannen is just being silly. There are several on this site that just like beating up Dannen no matter what he does. For proof, please visit the Fire Hunter thread. Were you one of those? We lost a few in the portal. So did every other team. Would we have lost them regardless of who we hired? I don't know and neither do you. Would you have preferred that Jewett never got them in the first place? That way, we would not have lost anything.
I never said that Allen was the magic bullet. Never even said that I wanted Allen. Just that on paper Allen is a better candidate than Uhlman.

People like beating up on Dannen because he sucks.

I don’t think I’ve said a bad word about Hunter. Definitely never asked for him to be fired.
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5379
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:30 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 pm

Wait a minute. If Dannen had hired Sean Allen and all the portal kids left, how many on this site would have been howling that Dannen is out of touch with the team and sacrificed us to a major rebuild over several years? Neither choice was obviously better than the other. The chosen path with Uhlman has fewer short term risks in that some of the talent stayed. I don't think anyone on this site has the stomach for a multi-year rebuild.
Lol
Half the portal kids left anyway. Instead of starting the true rebuild right now, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Unless Uhlman quickly signs some stud transfer pitchers, the team is going to be BAD next year.

I guess you’ve deluded yourself into thinking this is going to work
I am not deluding myself into anything, but to claim that hiring Allen was the magic bullet and using it to beat up on Dannen is just being silly. There are several on this site that just like beating up Dannen no matter what he does. For proof, please visit the Fire Hunter thread. Were you one of those? We lost a few in the portal. So did every other team. Would we have lost them regardless of who we hired? I don't know and neither do you. Would you have preferred that Jewett never got them in the first place? That way, we would not have lost anything.
What a hoot. Nobody needs Allen to beat up on Dannen. And it’s not always just because of what Dannen does, it’s also what he doesn’t do. He’s a 5 tool disaster—poor hiring, poor retention decisions, poor fund raising, poor communications, and poor presence—all on his own.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 am As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
As head coach he’d have a recruiting coordinator and wouldn’t be doing the bulk of the recruiting.
I’d be glad if I thought we got someone better. I don’t think that Uhlman is
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10993
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 am As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
As head coach he’d have a recruiting coordinator and wouldn’t be doing the bulk of the recruiting.
I’d be glad if I thought we got someone better. I don’t think that Uhlman is
Sorry, Wiz, but that's a horrible argument. He self-proclaimed that he couldn't recruit here, so as a HC you're telling me he's going to hire someone to do so? I don't know about you, but I've never met an effective leader that hired people and said "go out and sell what I couldn't sell when it was my job to sell it."

As far as the rebuilding discussions go (changing subjects, not aimed at you Wiz) I think rebuilding in baseball is overblown in a big way on this board. Sure it's nice to have continuity, and a few years in the same program helps to know it "like second nature." But we're talking about a coaching change, so there's a lot of change to begin with. And as an umpire I can tell you there's not much difference between abilities at 18 versus 19 or 20. Yes, most are still growing up, filling out, etc., but I've seen many 18 year old hold their own against not only 19 and 20 year olds, but even older men as well. You either have it or your don't by that age. The rest is learning to play at higher levels more than it is talent. In HS there's a huge difference between 14, 15, 16, and 17 year olds. But the 17 and more so 18 year old kids that are going to play D1 ball are clearly better than those that aren't. And, at least up here in CT and NY, even the best prep schools that borderline recruit players and would beat up on their public school counterparts, you'll only see 2-4 Seniors in a high level game that are playing D1 next year.

My point is I think kids can come in as true Frosh and transfers and be impact players right away. You have to be able to recruit them, then coach them when their yours. A kid might learn to hit better pitching over the next couple of years, but the talent is either there by the time he's on campus or not. I think rebuilding in baseball is easier than ever. Particularly with the extreme shrinkage in Minor League professional baseball.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:47 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 am As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
As head coach he’d have a recruiting coordinator and wouldn’t be doing the bulk of the recruiting.
I’d be glad if I thought we got someone better. I don’t think that Uhlman is
Sorry, Wiz, but that's a horrible argument. He self-proclaimed that he couldn't recruit here, so as a HC you're telling me he's going to hire someone to do so? I don't know about you, but I've never met an effective leader that hired people and said "go out and sell what I couldn't sell when it was my job to sell it."

As far as the rebuilding discussions go (changing subjects, not aimed at you Wiz) I think rebuilding in baseball is overblown in a big way on this board. Sure it's nice to have continuity, and a few years in the same program helps to know it "like second nature." But we're talking about a coaching change, so there's a lot of change to begin with. And as an umpire I can tell you there's not much difference between abilities at 18 versus 19 or 20. Yes, most are still growing up, filling out, etc., but I've seen many 18 year old hold their own against not only 19 and 20 year olds, but even older men as well. You either have it or your don't by that age. The rest is learning to play at higher levels more than it is talent. In HS there's a huge difference between 14, 15, 16, and 17 year olds. But the 17 and more so 18 year old kids that are going to play D1 ball are clearly better than those that aren't. And, at least up here in CT and NY, even the best prep schools that borderline recruit players and would beat up on their public school counterparts, you'll only see 2-4 Seniors in a high level game that are playing D1 next year.

My point is I think kids can come in as true Frosh and transfers and be impact players right away. You have to be able to recruit them, then coach them when their yours. A kid might learn to hit better pitching over the next couple of years, but the talent is either there by the time he's on campus or not. I think rebuilding in baseball is easier than ever. Particularly with the extreme shrinkage in Minor League professional baseball.
Sean Allen’s ability to recruit has no bearing on his ability to hire someone that can.

As for a rebuild, theoretically it could be done quickly but you’d have to do a good job hitting the transfer portal. Because the best HS guys for the next year have usually already signed somewhere.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 am As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
As head coach he’d have a recruiting coordinator and wouldn’t be doing the bulk of the recruiting.
I’d be glad if I thought we got someone better. I don’t think that Uhlman is
You're kidding yourself if you think only the recruiting coordinator recruits. All the coaches recruit. He made it clear that he couldn't recruit here. On top of that Pierce is the reason for the success of the teams Allen has coached on. I'm no fan of the Uhlman hiring but Allen getting the job would have been just as bad a hire.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:28 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 am As to Allen he left before Pierce did because he said he couldn't recruit here. We should be glad he didn't get the job.
As head coach he’d have a recruiting coordinator and wouldn’t be doing the bulk of the recruiting.
I’d be glad if I thought we got someone better. I don’t think that Uhlman is
You're kidding yourself if you think only the recruiting coordinator recruits. All the coaches recruit. He made it clear that he couldn't recruit here. On top of that Pierce is the reason for the success of the teams Allen has coached on. I'm no fan of the Uhlman hiring but Allen getting the job would have been just as bad a hire.
Clearly you can’t read well. I never said he wouldn’t do any recruiting. I said that the bulk of the recruiting would be done by someone else. As is the case on every staff.

And if David Pierce is responsible for all their success with no help from the assistant coaches then he might be one of the greatest coaches ever
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

I read just fine. He’d be the closer and he doesn’t believe so he’d be a major fail.

Pierce is a great coach. Allen has ridden his coattails and would have been a terrible hire.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

He may have been a bad hire. I never said that I wanted Allen but I’d have more faith in him than Uhlman
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10993
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm I read just fine. He’d be the closer and he doesn’t believe so he’d be a major fail.

Pierce is a great coach. Allen has ridden his coattails and would have been a terrible hire.
Damned right, win. The HC is the closer in the recruiting process. All of them do it. Tim Corbin at Vanderbilt is notorious for going into homes and NOT talking about baseball. If you cannot recruit as an assistant, you're set up to be a failure as a HC.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm I read just fine. He’d be the closer and he doesn’t believe so he’d be a major fail.

Pierce is a great coach. Allen has ridden his coattails and would have been a terrible hire.
If Pierce is a great coach then why couldn’t he recruit at Tulane?
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Profound do you really have to ask that question? The recruiting disadvantages at Tulane have been outlined on here ad nauseum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm I read just fine. He’d be the closer and he doesn’t believe so he’d be a major fail.

Pierce is a great coach. Allen has ridden his coattails and would have been a terrible hire.
If Pierce is a great coach then why couldn’t he recruit at Tulane?
Because Allen couldn't bring anyone to him to close on. LOL.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:45 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm I read just fine. He’d be the closer and he doesn’t believe so he’d be a major fail.

Pierce is a great coach. Allen has ridden his coattails and would have been a terrible hire.
If Pierce is a great coach then why couldn’t he recruit at Tulane?
Because Allen couldn't bring anyone to him to close on. LOL.
LOL
Why would a great coach like Pierce keep a guy like Allen around if he has use?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:57 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:45 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm

If Pierce is a great coach then why couldn’t he recruit at Tulane?
Because Allen couldn't bring anyone to him to close on. LOL.
LOL
Why would a great coach like Pierce keep a guy like Allen around if he has use?
Because he's such a great coach he can carry a guy like Allen. LOL.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:04 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:57 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Because Allen couldn't bring anyone to him to close on. LOL.
LOL
Why would a great coach like Pierce keep a guy like Allen around if he has use?
Because he's such a great coach he can carry a guy like Allen. LOL.
That’s so stupid. You don’t even believe this dumb shit. Pierce could have a good assistant but he chooses not to. Think about how stupid that sounds
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 20641
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

So you say Pierce sucks. Talk about stupid. LOL.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Post Reply