A Multi Million $$$$ question

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Absolutely I would give to such facilities. But I doubt we'll get that option. Gibson Hall just doesn't care. Tulane's bloated bureaucracy has almost 200 desk sitters for fundraising and development--guess how many support athletics? Four. No wonder there isn't much reach out or fund raising.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 pm Absolutely I would give to such facilities. But I doubt we'll get that option. Gibson Hall just doesn't care. Tulane's bloated bureaucracy has almost 200 desk sitters for fundraising and development--guess how many support athletics? Four. No wonder there isn't much reach out or fund raising.
WHAT ??!??!?!??!?...where's the inclusion, diversity, the equality of Athletics.......oh, the humanity of it all !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:21 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 pm Absolutely I would give to such facilities. But I doubt we'll get that option. Gibson Hall just doesn't care. Tulane's bloated bureaucracy has almost 200 desk sitters for fundraising and development--guess how many support athletics? Four. No wonder there isn't much reach out or fund raising.
WHAT ??!??!?!??!?...where's the inclusion, diversity, the equality of Athletics.......oh, the humanity of it all !!!!
The inclusion, diversity and fundraising is mainly in the Gibson Hall propaganda releases.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:22 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:02 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 am They are tapped out. They were called by Rick Dickson and Scott Cowen and told we need a football stadium to save our football program and position us to move up conference wise. They gave. Now they are called by the new AD and told we need a football ops. building to save our football program and position us to move up conference wise. They say well I gave $10 million to that stadium and now you need me to give millions more. Nope it's somebody else's turn. Major donors donate large sums to various entities. They gave to Tulane athletics what they are going to give. The stadium fundraising fell $20 million short. Two donors got up at the dedication ceremony and said they would donate $10 million of it to large applause. They then said that's IF others donate $10 million that we'll match. A woman let out a loud gasp knowing that wasn't going to happen. it didn't. Fortunately those two put up the $20 million themselves. People are willing to put up money for practice and performance enhancing facilities-see the Wilson Center and the Hertz Center. Unfortunately the $85 million used to build the Monument to Mediocrity used up all of our major donors money that you were told way back when needed to be spent on what was really needed- a football ops. building and a new arena. Great job.
The term “tapped out” means out of money which they are not. They were just not interested enough to donate to that particular project at that time. Maybe today they or others may be more inclined to donate to that project.
I've been clear on "tapped out" meaning they are tapped out as far as giving to Tulane athletics. I've never said they were out of money. I have spelled it out very clearly- they were asked and gave substantial amounts to the stadium. Major donors are not going to give large donations to the same entity every time they are asked as they donate to many entities.

You however are busted. In the Facilities thread you said they weren't asked to give to the football ops. building. Now you claim in this thread they were asked but weren't interested:

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 am

They give when “asked”. Just saying.
They haven’t been asked to donate to Athletics . Using the term tapped out is completely misleading and insulting to those donors.
They are far from being “tapped out”.
They have always given to both sides.
Tulane has just chosen to seek their help on the academic side at this time.
The stadium came about by default. The donors weren’t interested in putting their name on any practice facility or Arena as Dickson pushed. Richard Yulman tells Cowen if he builds a stadium he’ll cover it. End of story.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:22 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:02 pm
The term “tapped out” means out of money which they are not. They were just not interested enough to donate to that particular project at that time. Maybe today they or others may be more inclined to donate to that project.
I've been clear on "tapped out" meaning they are tapped out as far as giving to Tulane athletics. I've never said they were out of money. I have spelled it out very clearly- they were asked and gave substantial amounts to the stadium. Major donors are not going to give large donations to the same entity every time they are asked as they donate to many entities.

You however are busted. In the Facilities thread you said they weren't asked to give to the football ops. building. Now you claim in this thread they were asked but weren't interested:

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 am

They give when “asked”. Just saying.
They haven’t been asked to donate to Athletics . Using the term tapped out is completely misleading and insulting to those donors.
They are far from being “tapped out”.
They have always given to both sides.
Tulane has just chosen to seek their help on the academic side at this time.
The stadium came about by default. The donors weren’t interested in putting their name on any practice facility or Arena as Dickson pushed. Richard Yulman tells Cowen if he builds a stadium he’ll cover it. End of story.
LOL. Once again you prove you're the only poster who has never admitted he's wrong and never will. Like I said donors put their name on Wilson and Hertz. Fact is Dickson and Cowen got a $50 million dollar price tag for a basketball arena and practice facility. They were shocked and said we can build a football stadium for that. They then went forward with the final nail in the coffin to Tulane athletics .Yulman never covered it. He just put up the lead amount. End of story.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Richard Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility or dining hall or library or latrine. How unfortunate it is that he did not listen to winwave but instead spent his own money the way he wanted and not the way winwave wanted.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:10 am Richard Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility or dining hall or library or latrine. How unfortunate it is that he did not listen to winwave but instead spent his own money the way he wanted and not the way winwave wanted.
Yulman was never asked to donate to a football ops. building. Dickson went straight from being shocked at the price tag on the new arena to asking for money for the stadium. As usual you know nothing and offer nothing to the site.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:10 am Richard Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility or dining hall or library or latrine. How unfortunate it is that he did not listen to winwave but instead spent his own money the way he wanted and not the way winwave wanted.
He had better submit his resume for AD when Dannen leaves. The Tulane administration needs to see that he has all the answers, and no one else knows anything and need to be insulted. He is the definition of an internet troll who destroys websites for everyone else. I just ignore him... until he becomes AD and saves Tulane athletics with his brilliant know-everything background. I know he is hard to ignore when he insulting you, but you just have to remember what he is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 am
He had better submit his resume for AD when Dannen leaves. The Tulane administration needs to see that he has all the answers, and no one else knows anything and need to be insulted. He is the definition of an internet troll who destroys websites for everyone else. I just ignore him... until he becomes AD and saves Tulane athletics with his brilliant know-everything background. I know he is hard to ignore when he insulting you, but you just have to remember what he is.
LOL. All you ever do is to come here and insult and condemn all Tulane fans.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ask and you shall receive if you are committed to excellence. Jesuit High School raised $30 million. Not many donors are interested in throwing away money funding something that the school is not fully committed to supporting like at Tulane.
Benson gives $5 million to Jesuit Athletics. (He’s not even an alum) But Dannen can’t ask or Benson tapped out on this end. :o
The initiative went public at the beginning of 2019. Brown took the mantle as president in January 2020 and oversaw the culmination of the campaign and the on-campus construction.
Frank Stewart Jr., a local businessman and Jesuit alumnus, gave a combined $7 million, and New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Gayle Benson donated another $5 million to improve the school’s athletics facilities. Pledges for the campaign totaled $30 million, according to Jesuit’s website, and also increased the school’s endowment by $5 million.
Funds were used to renovate all of the classrooms, build a pedestrian bridge over Banks Street that connects the athletic facilities with the rest of the school and modernize the gym, now called the Gayle & Tom Benson Arena. Work wrapped up right before students returned to school in August to renovate the cafeteria, and construction is expected to start soon on renovating the adjacent structure.
https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog ... -building/
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We've been over this already. Benson donated to the stadium. The donation to Jesuit supports what I've told you all along. The Benson's give to a lot of entities. So they aren't just going to up and give huge amounts every time the same entity calls. They have given to Tulane athletics what they are going to give. She is on the Board at Tulane. Dannen has to present any such plans to build to the Board before he can proceed with fundraising. So Gayle knew of his intentions but she's tapped out on what she's going to give to Tulane athletics. So she was informed and is tapped out. Thanks for proving my point.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:58 am We've been over this already. Benson donated to the stadium. The donation to Jesuit supports what I've told you all along. The Benson's give to a lot of entities. So they aren't just going to up and give huge amounts every time the same entity calls. They have given to Tulane athletics what they are going to give. She is on the Board at Tulane. Dannen has to present any such plans to build to the Board before he can proceed with fundraising. So Gayle knew of his intentions but she's tapped out on what she's going to give to Tulane athletics. So she was informed and is tapped out. Thanks for proving my point.
Not tapped out. Unwilling to throw away more money on a lost cause.
If TD can’t ask she’s not going to give..
The Tulane administration is not pushing donors to Athletics these days. They are pushing the academic side for now. They probably think every dime that goes to Athletics is a dime less for Academics. That’s how I see it anyway.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

She knew Tom was not liked . She knew donating and splashing his name around would change that perception. his name is splashed on the field. She's done there and moved on.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

I think there are folks with real money who at least at one time cared about Tulane including athletics who are just fed up with the pathetic management and performance as reflected by recent records in football, mens basketball, and baseball. There is no reason for interest much less excitement. We need a committed, enthusiastic, persuasive athletic director with a real vision and plans for how to turn this around.. I am no longer an active alum, I am in my 70’s and my last involvement was in keeping Rick Joes when Ga Tech came calling and trying to keep Bowden but this could be accomplished by the right person and with full support of Fitts and the Board.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:32 am [ As usual you know nothing and offer nothing to the site.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for proving my point yet again.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I would much rather hang around on the internet with people like me than people like you.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So you enjoy the company of losers.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The underlying issue is that Tulane is raising tons of money - by Tulane standards - but donors are not sending money to athletics. Given Tulane’s circumstances, that lack of focus on athletics is likely because (1) Tulane’s student body generally didn’t grow up in Louisiana and (2) graduates don’t remain in Louisiana after graduation. Those two items together make it difficult to get athletics buy in from those alumni due to not being connected to the area, and it’s what differentiates Tulane from the Texas schools which generally recruit a large amount of their student bodies instate and their alumni generally stay instate. The answer to this issue is what is the million dollar question.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:43 pm The underlying issue is that Tulane is raising tons of money - by Tulane standards - but donors are not sending money to athletics. Given Tulane’s circumstances, that lack of focus on athletics is likely because (1) Tulane’s student body generally didn’t grow up in Louisiana and (2) graduates don’t remain in Louisiana after graduation. Those two items together make it difficult to get athletics buy in from those alumni due to not being connected to the area, and it’s what differentiates Tulane from the Texas schools which generally recruit a large amount of their student bodies instate and their alumni generally stay instate. The answer to this issue is what is the million dollar question.
+1000
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The problem is Tulane hasn’t produced many mega rich alums and very few of them are interested in athletics. Those few got tapped out on their Tulane athletic giving on the Monument to Mediocrity.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:43 pm The underlying issue is that Tulane is raising tons of money - by Tulane standards - but donors are not sending money to athletics. Given Tulane’s circumstances, that lack of focus on athletics is likely because (1) Tulane’s student body generally didn’t grow up in Louisiana and (2) graduates don’t remain in Louisiana after graduation. Those two items together make it difficult to get athletics buy in from those alumni due to not being connected to the area, and it’s what differentiates Tulane from the Texas schools which generally recruit a large amount of their student bodies instate and their alumni generally stay instate. The answer to this issue is what is the million dollar question.
Those two reasons are very accurate. But Tulane isn’t raising a lot of money. Most of the endowments growth for the past 22+ years has been investment income, not donations.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:27 pm
Those two reasons are very accurate. But Tulane isn’t raising a lot of money. Most of the endowments growth for the past 22+ years has been investment income, not donations.
Tulane’s raised $120M+ per year for at least 4 of the last 5 years, so it’s doing something right on that front.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:16 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:27 pm
Tulane’s raised $120M+ per year for at least 4 of the last 5 years, so it’s doing something right on that front.
Great. How much to Athletics?
Jaxwave
Swell

At this point, the Titanic has hit the iceberg and it makes zero sense whatsoever to invest millions in athletics. Tulane administrations sure showed us. You want millions raised and invested, then we'll just run this thing into the ground to make investing pointless and run whatever fan base they have off to the point of not caring. What a waste. The potential was there to make this into a P5 worthy program as recently as 10 years ago and let's face it, they made a conscious decision not to do so.