Facilities

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
posse
High Tide

posse wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:15 pm TURVS71 SAID Dgbgreenie...I have a sneaking suspicion that you have a connection to Tulane...not just a "fan" connection. If you want to accomplish this it CAN be done. The key word is WANT AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Short-Sightedness has brought us to this point and it continues to be our problem. The university just doesn't get it. ACADEMICS WILL BE HELPED with a large P5 check, That is a FACT. Tulane continues to take the position that it is above athletics and the precious Tulane diploma is somehow TARNISHED because of athletics. What a POMPOUS, UPTOWN, BLUEBLOOD, SEERSUCKER, WHITE BUCK SHOE ,asinine position to take. We have old, stuffed shirts that have NO idea what is transpiring in the modern world today!!
TURVS71...............1,000,000 % RIGHT. YOU'VE SAID EVERYTHING I'VE BEEN WANTING TO SAY FOR 61 YEARS AND ABOUT AS ELEGANT AS I WANTED TO SAY IT. I THINK WE OLDER, LONG TIME FANS,
HAS HIT THE TIPPING POINT, OF FINALLY REALIZING TULANE WILL NEVER DO WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN ATHLETICS. AS POPEYE WOULD SAY "THAT'S ALL WE CAN STANDS, AND WE CAN'T STANDS NO MORE"

I LOVE YOU MAN, AND YES YOU CAN HAVE MY 'BUD LIGHT' ANYTIME.

TULANE FAN EMERITUS

Profoundwizard
Swell

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:11 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 pm Tulane sucking in football has nothing to do with baseball.
Tulane could drop baseball, demolish GFATS and take every dime they invest in baseball and put it into the football program and it would have little to no impact.

Wow! You obviously don’t take time to read!!
You’ve taken only a part of what I said….Your comment doesn’t address what I stated .
I didn’t say use the baseball budget, I was much more specific…..obviously you commented before fully grasping the comments.
I never said that you said to use the baseball budget, but you’re the 2nd person to recently suggest dropping baseball so that football can do better. There’s no correlation between the two things.

Other than that, I agree that Tulane should invest in themselves but I know that they won’t
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

What’s amazing is that the posts on here could have been made some years back…same old same old…
Aberzombie1892
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 pm Facilities are not the problem, the fanbase is!!!
https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... ecruiting/

Athletes have mentioned the importance of the coaching staff, the university’s academic offerings, and surrounding environment (such as urban or rural campus) as important factors when choosing a school. Student-athletes also place a similar importance on facilities as non-athlete college students; this doesn’t provide much distinction on whether facilities can sway student-athletes, but may hint at its overemphasis in the recruitment process.

While a large number of athletic programs have been building or completing facilities projects, our study found little to no impact from new athletic facilities on the recruitment of potential football or men’s basketball recruits. The direct impact football projects represented the largest amount of facility projects during the time period of the study, yet their returns in recruiting were mostly non-significant. There were no recruiting improvements for direct football projects during the year before facility completion, nor the first and second year after the facility was completed. Only in the year right before a project was completed was there a marginally significant effect which showed that team recruiting rankings slightly improved before a facility project was completed.
Agreed. While some will really push the facilities angle, the fact of the matter is that Tulane is recruiting the best it has in the tracking era and that level is similar to the level of all of the top tier G5 programs. If that is the case, which it is, it's difficult to seriously argue that facilities are what is holding Tulane back and that a simple expenditure of x dollars for y facilities would somehow meaningfully improve Tulane's recruiting.

That begs the question: if recruiting isn't the issue, then what's the problem? The answer to that is extremely complex and a combination of factors work against Tulane that are relatively unique at the division 1A level, so, in order for Tulane to overcome those factors, it would have to produce the solution itself because there are no blueprints to follow from other programs that experienced similar factors simultaneously.

Factors include, but are not limited to:
1. Small enrollment for division 1A
2. Minimal in-state enrollment
3. Minimal post-graduation retainment of graduates in-state
4. High tuition
5. Not within a reasonable driving distance from a top 10-20 metropolitan area
6. Private school (
7. Minimal endowment for a major private division 1A school (i.e. smaller than TCU/Baylor/SMU)
8. Lack of a major religious affiliation (i.e. think Notre Dame)

The above results in Tulane undergraduate student body not being familiar with Tulane athletics growing up and no vested interest in either Tulane or Tulane athletics after they graduate (as evidenced by the geographic diversity in both recruiting and post graduation along with Tulane's small endowment). Tulane does not have an easy pathway to fix that issue, but fixing it would go a long way to improving both the athletics program and the university overall.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We are not recruiting like top tier G5's. Over the last 5 years we have averaged coming out 7th in our conference. We were 85th last year. FACILITIES IS THE ISSUE. Others are doing it and we aren't. The players who can make a difference take visits and see the stark contrast in facilities and commitment to the program. Typical Tulane to bury their head in the sand.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm We are not recruiting like top tier G5's. Over the last 5 years we have averaged coming out 7th in our conference. We were 85th last year. FACILITIES IS THE ISSUE. Others are doing it and we aren't. The players who can make a difference take visits and see the stark contrast in facilities and commitment to the program. Typical Tulane to bury their head in the sand.
They take in one game at Yulman, and laugh why do I want to play in this empty stadium. Really!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 am
winwave wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm We are not recruiting like top tier G5's. Over the last 5 years we have averaged coming out 7th in our conference. We were 85th last year. FACILITIES IS THE ISSUE. Others are doing it and we aren't. The players who can make a difference take visits and see the stark contrast in facilities and commitment to the program. Typical Tulane to bury their head in the sand.
They take in one game at Yulman, and laugh why do I want to play in this empty stadium. Really!!!
They take in one game at Yulman and sayI want to ply in a D-1 stadium not tgis glorified HS stadium. They take in our weight room and say I've seen others and this one is a joke. They see our tiny meeting rooms and say you gotta be kidding me. They see our pathetic squad room and say I prefer the theatre style squad room every other school I visited had.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

1-5 record at this point (Year 6) has nothing to do with facilities. And it’s certainly not due to the fans. We showed we have enough talent to compete with OU (probably beat them at Yulman) could we use better facilities of course but it’s not why we’re 1-5 now.
Coaches are not getting the job done IMO. No way we should lose to UAB and ECU in Year 6 of this current regime. Houston was another one we could have won had the coaches made adjustments (UH coaches made their needed adjustments in the second half) we didn’t.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We shouldn't be 1-5 in year 6 against this schedule but the lack of facilities is why we lack enough good players to have a better record. So yes it has something to do with facilities.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I WILL ASK ONE MO' TIME...What is Brown Field used for ?..can a football OPS be built there ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 am We shouldn't be 1-5 in year 6 against this schedule but the lack of facilities is why we lack enough good players to have a better record. So yes it has something to do with facilities.
UAB killed their entire program in 2014 and just restarted it in 2017. No way I’m buying facilities or lack of players on that one. Our coaches own that loss
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
gbgreenie
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 am
winwave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 am We shouldn't be 1-5 in year 6 against this schedule but the lack of facilities is why we lack enough good players to have a better record. So yes it has something to do with facilities.
UAB killed their entire program in 2014 and just restarted it in 2017. No way I’m buying facilities or lack of players on that one. Our coaches own that loss
Totally agree these facility talks are so rediculous when ever we get a losing streak. Bottom line is coaching the perfect example was when Tommy Bowden and Rich Rodriquez came to town. The exact same facilities and football players Buddy Teevens had did a complete about face with the new coaching staff. Its about schemes on offense and defense and having the types of players to run those schemes. The wave have not recruited name wide receivers and running backs in the last two recruiting classes. The boy down the street from campus Montrell is starring as a running back at ULL. Did anyone think that Coach longs use of the tight ends in the passing game is pulling a key blocker away from the running game. That scheme change is definately showing up as Carroll performance has dropped and sacks have gone up. Case close not facilities!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

UAB also kept their coach and numerous players through that period. Clark is clearly a better coach than Willie. If we had the proper facilities we'd have better players who could overcome Willie's shortcomings.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:53 am
Totally agree these facility talks are so rediculous when ever we get a losing streak. Bottom line is coaching the perfect example was when Tommy Bowden and Rich Rodriquez came to town. The exact same facilities and football players Buddy Teevens had did a complete about face with the new coaching staff. Its about schemes on offense and defense and having the types of players to run those schemes. The wave have not recruited name wide receivers and running backs in the last two recruiting classes. The boy down the street from campus Montrell is starring as a running back at ULL. Did anyone think that Coach longs use of the tight ends in the passing game is pulling a key blocker away from the running game. That scheme change is definately showing up as Carroll performance has dropped and sacks have gone up. Case close not facilities!!!
That's over 20 years ago. Not only has their been a great enhancement of facilities across the country there are now practice limitations that would have hindered the brutal workouts that we conducted back then.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Even if we had another Tommy Bowden, we would quickly lose him just like we lost Tommy Boy--why? Because Bowden, Larry Smith and Mack Brown all knew that there was no long term commitment to athletics, at Tulane. And facilities is the manifestation of such commitment. This isn't a coaching vs facilities debate--it takes both to consistently succeed--and only then do the fans start to show up regularly. Until Tulane makes the financial commitment to intercollegiate athletics, and football in particular, we will never keep a coach or staff with the competency that we want--no way. So by accepting inferior facilities, you’re also accepting our inability to keep good coaches. Gibson Hall has to take the first step to getting us out of this ditch, by investing heavily in athletic and football facilities. Either Tulane is in, or out. This zombie existence in the college athletic no-man's land is the worst position to be in. Come on Gibson Hall, make a decision!! Get in, or get out!!
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:57 am
UAB also kept their coach and numerous players through that period. Clark is clearly a better coach than Willie. If we had the proper facilities we'd have better players who could overcome Willie's shortcomings.
The UAB Shutdown
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-program

The UAB rebirth....and interesting political takes, (some say Bear Bryants grandson was behind all of the obstacles )
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... 017-season
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:44 am
Even if we had another Tommy Bowden, we would quickly lose him just like we lost Tommy Boy--why? Because Bowden, Larry Smith and Mack Brown all knew that there was no long term commitment to athletics, at Tulane. And facilities is the manifestation of such commitment. This isn't a coaching vs facilities debate--it takes both to consistently succeed--and only then do the fans start to show up regularly. Until Tulane makes the financial commitment to intercollegiate athletics, and football in particular, we will never keep a coach or staff with the competency that we want--no way. So by accepting inferior facilities, your also accepting our inability to keep good coaches. Gibson Hall has to take the first step to getting us out of this ditch, by investing heavily in athletic and football facilities. Either Tulane is in, or out. This zombie existence in the college athletic no-man's land is the worst position to be in. Come on Gibson Hall, make a decision!! Get in, or get out!!
Tulane won't be able to keep a good coach unless it way overpays like Houston, but that's true of virtually all of the G5 (UCF, Boise State, Memphis, etc.).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Facilities isn’t an excuse for this start, but it absolutely is a factor. We desperately need an operations/weight room/meeting room facility.

UAB built a $19mm operations facility and has a nice little covered field (which we absolutely should build as football, other athletes and students could use. ULL has an IPF and a $15mm football performance center. We have the worst operations/support assets as anyone in our league. I think using the saints IPF is fine, but how in the hell does a UAB and ULL have far superior facilities? It’s a joke.

https://ragincajuns.com/facilities/dona ... -center/22

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... walls/amp/

https://mjharris.com/projects/uab-football-facility
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:20 pm Facilities isn’t an excuse for this start, but it absolutely is a factor. We desperately need an operations/weight room/meeting room facility.

UAB built a $19mm operations facility and has a nice little covered field (which we absolutely should build as football, other athletes and students could use. ULL has an IPF and a $15mm football performance center. We have the worst operations/support assets as anyone in our league. I think using the saints IPF is fine, but how in the hell does a UAB and ULL have far superior facilities? It’s a joke.

https://ragincajuns.com/facilities/dona ... -center/22

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... walls/amp/

https://mjharris.com/projects/uab-football-facility
poor Texas @ Austin only spent 4 million on the IPF
https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/2 ... 0724133511
gbgreenie
Surge

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:51 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:44 am
Even if we had another Tommy Bowden, we would quickly lose him just like we lost Tommy Boy--why? Because Bowden, Larry Smith and Mack Brown all knew that there was no long term commitment to athletics, at Tulane. And facilities is the manifestation of such commitment. This isn't a coaching vs facilities debate--it takes both to consistently succeed--and only then do the fans start to show up regularly. Until Tulane makes the financial commitment to intercollegiate athletics, and football in particular, we will never keep a coach or staff with the competency that we want--no way. So by accepting inferior facilities, your also accepting our inability to keep good coaches. Gibson Hall has to take the first step to getting us out of this ditch, by investing heavily in athletic and football facilities. Either Tulane is in, or out. This zombie existence in the college athletic no-man's land is the worst position to be in. Come on Gibson Hall, make a decision!! Get in, or get out!!
Tulane won't be able to keep a good coach unless it way overpays like Houston, but that's true of virtually all of the G5 (UCF, Boise State, Memphis, etc.).
Tulane matched Clemson's offer to Tommy Bowden, the biggest mistake was leaving Rich Rodriguez go!!! The commitment was there to move forward facilities were on their way, the mistake that Rodriguez would not stay here was a dagger to that commitment. Fan support was up good coaching was in place the commitment was here, but the Rodriguez mistake screwed it up big time!!!
Lutzow46
Ripple

Great discussion here. One problem I see in Tulane's football program is the lack of rivalries. Look at other programs and there are strong rivalries both in state and interstate. Does Tulane have any rivalries? Not really, because the team is a perennial doormat and fans come to New Orleans for other reasons. Very few of our fans go to games out of the state of Louisiana. I'm sure the OU fans were very disappointed in the movement of the game to Norman. So there are no traditional rivalries. There could be some, but they dropped off one-by-one with our lackluster program.
Pepper
Swell

All of the suggestions are pieces to winning football and sustaining winning. Unfortunately, the University not only has shown it's intent to produce a winner, it purposely stays quiet with a vision for the future. One first class facility upgrade or build would go a long way into making that happen. Increasing salaries and recruiting budgets would also show an investment. The virus that won't go away is Gibson Hall. Until their is commitment, there will be no big-time winning or consistent winning.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Use this property for an IPF or Football OPs or a combo of both, use Yulman for intramural football and soccer...sun bathing is out of luck
https://campusrecreation.tulane.edu/abo ... rown-field
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am Use this property for an IPF or Football OPs or a combo of both, use Yulman for intramural football and soccer...sun bathing is out of luck
The Rosen lot is there for the taking. More space.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:30 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am Use this property for an IPF or Football OPs or a combo of both, use Yulman for intramural football and soccer...sun bathing is out of luck
The Rosen lot is there for the taking. More space.
it may have more space, but will Tulane to give up parking spots ?? I am not sure I would want my OPs and IPF that close to Claiborne ave...