Db and offensive line

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Post Reply
glennc
Low Tide
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad


winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Pratt is already hurt as is his back up Ibieta.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:18 am

glennc wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 pm
Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad
Claybrook #79 has been a disaster this year. Notice on most plays how he and our other OLs are always still
standing around as our skill players and the opponent’s players are getting up off the ground. Lack of effort.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 am

We ought to do what Cincy did a few years ago. Being surrounded by P5 schools, Cincy was having trouble getting good linemen. So rather than just keep taking the “leftovers”, they started recruiting big and athletic rugby players, Australian-rules football players and wrestlers—and then taught and coached them to play OL and DL. Look at where they are today— if you watch them, they have big, fast and athletic linemen. You can’t coach and teach size and athleticism, but you can teach and coach an athlete how to play a position. I guess doing something like that is too “out of the box” for Tulane’s culture. Takes too much effort.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:34 pm

Larry Smith back in the day would recruit tall lean guys and basketball players for the DL that could run then put weight on them to play. We cannot keep recruiting 4th tier fat slow 300 pounders on both lines with bad feet just because they are big. That is lazy.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 am

Jaxwave wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:34 pm
Larry Smith back in the day would recruit tall lean guys and basketball players for the DL that could run then put weight on them to play. We cannot keep recruiting 4th tier fat slow 300 pounders on both lines with bad feet just because they are big. That is lazy.
In the early thru mid-60’s, OU’s football program was struggling, after dominating much of the 50’s. They hired Jim McKenzie for the 1966 season. Like Larry Smith, McKenzie wanted tall and slender linemen—telling his asst coaches, as to recruiting, “I wann’em long and lean.” He turned OU around in one year, and those long and lean linemen were the foundation of the Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer teams that dominated the late 60’s and 70’s. Tulane needs to try something radical and new when it comes to linemen. But of course that would require effort and work. It’s much easier to just let the linemen that are leftover fall into your lap.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am

"Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:11 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am
"Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
A classic quote, for sure.
Not exactly a description of Fritz’s teams.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Lutzow46
Ripple
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:45 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 pm

glennc wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 pm
Our defensive backs could not guard 80 year old's and our offensive line is eventually going to get Pratt hurt. Are they that bad or is it coaching. Number 79 is suppose to be really good. From what I see he is really bad
I have watched No. 79 for two years. Even before him, that was a weak spot in the OL.
glennc
Low Tide
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 pm

That position gets a lot of blame because it is the QB blind side, however that doesn't erase the fact that number 79 is terrible.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am
"Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
A classic quote, for sure, but it was Jake Gaither of Florida A&M that spoke it.
Welcome to gotula.net, where no horse is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 am

ajcalhoun wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am
"Long and Lean"...and my favorite from Bear Bryant.. "Agile, Mobile, Hostile'
A classic quote, for sure, but it was Jake Gaither of Florida A&M that spoke it.
U are correct sir...a little info on Coach Gaither
https://jmagonline.com/articles/agile-m ... er-debuts/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply