Just fire him

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:20 am

In year six under Willie our players don't know if they are on offense or defense:

"They (the missed tackles) hurt us, really hurt us," Fritz said. "We work on this like crazy, and we get some guys who get confused whether they're on offense or defense and they try to block people and cut people instead of wrapping up and using their arms. Our tackling was very poor in the first half and parts of the second half."


Small time facilities for small time programs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 am

Not a chance of that with the 7 year contract extension inked last year.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am

maybe the peeson who needs to be fired, is the person who intitally evaluates players..that person is Wes Fritz... I called before the season started about a OL in DFW..hios dad is a football coach who played college ball, the kid, ust had his 17th B'day, is 6'4" and weighs about 295, with almost zero fat. The young man was named OL to watch by a preseason, Texas high school football mag.....Wes got some film, called me and told me he was not a D1 player...I guess Arkansas, Baylor, UH, TCU, La Tech think otherwise, because they have all contacted him
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:50 am

winwave wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:20 am
In year six under Willie our players don't know if they are on offense or defense:

"They (the missed tackles) hurt us, really hurt us," Fritz said. "We work on this like crazy, and we get some guys who get confused whether they're on offense or defense and they try to block people and cut people instead of wrapping up and using their arms. Our tackling was very poor in the first half and parts of the second half."
That’s an unbelievable quote!! He’s basically saying our players are remarkably stupid.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 am

I think Willie realizes right about now that the caliber of player Tulane has allowed him to recruit leads to 6-6 season ceilings. Great kids however who represent the school well.
You know what, with the changes that are going on in college football and the greed shown by all concerned, I think I’m ok with good kids.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am

The caliber of players he can get are defined by our well earned reputation as a loser and our lack of facilities.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 am

But how is it that Tulane allows players in who don't know if they are playing offense or defense? At least that's the situation according to our head coach. I know we aren't getting the top athletes, but are we also getting the dumbest athletes--according to Fritz, they don't know whether they should be tackling or blocking.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:33 pm

NOW.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 pm

Troy Dannen needs to go first or else it’ll be another bad hire. Probably someone worse
gbgreenie
Surge
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:35 am

winwave wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am
The caliber of players he can get are defined by our well earned reputation as a loser and our lack of facilities.
Shut up with the freaking facilities, we can't fill what we have, an indoor practice facilities will not bring top athletes if we have a empty stadium. Fans bring lst rate players that want to play before full stadiums of cheering fans. Fans are part of the problem also.
sader24
Tsunami
Posts: 5641
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:05 am

Yes, the fans are definitely the problem. If i'm going to be called the problem at least let me coach the defense this week. I'd like to get a statistic on how many yards East Carolina ran for before anyone touched them from scrimmage. I'm not buying that we have a lot of talent either. I'm looking out there and I see us essentially outmanned everywhere in year 6. We can't block, catch, tackle or run. UAB got absolutely destroyed by Liberty yesterday.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:19 am

There are no expectations so need to fire anyone. The Tulane way.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3310
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am
maybe the peeson who needs to be fired, is the person who intitally evaluates players..that person is Wes Fritz...
He definitely needs to go, along with both coordinators.
Oh Brother
Ripple
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 am

We all know the story. Willie worked his way up from the bottom rungs of coaching, he finally had two good years in division 2 and we hired him. He briefly took us from bottom rung to lower half and then he and his agent made it known he was ready to move on( to the worst team in Big 12) and Tulane panicked and rewarded him with a lucrative long term contract. Not bad for a guy whose team never reached above middle of pack and consistently lost to the better teams in a second tier conference. Willie has exceeded his level of competency or maybe he has retired on the job but it’s over, for him and for our program, such as it is. With open transfer portal, thee few guys anyone wants are gone, no decent recruit in his right mind will come here. And there’s bo one to buy out his contract nor is there anyone to make a better hire- Dannen is AWOL looking for an asset AD job in a Power5 program and Fitts would be happy to see the entire athletic program end- more money for “ woke initiatives.” In the immortal words of Dandy Don, turn out the lights, the party’s over.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:47 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am
maybe the peeson who needs to be fired, is the person who intitally evaluates players..that person is Wes Fritz... I called before the season started about a OL in DFW..hios dad is a football coach who played college ball, the kid, ust had his 17th B'day, is 6'4" and weighs about 295, with almost zero fat. The young man was named OL to watch by a preseason, Texas high school football mag.....Wes got some film, called me and told me he was not a D1 player...I guess Arkansas, Baylor, UH, TCU, La Tech think otherwise, because they have all contacted him
You are definitely onto something there. I begged them to offer this kid out of New Orleans to play LB. He didn't get much of a sniff and ended up at La Tech. Last year, he was named Freshmen-All American.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:01 am

gbgreenie wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:35 am
winwave wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am
The caliber of players he can get are defined by our well earned reputation as a loser and our lack of facilities.
Shut up with the freaking facilities, we can't fill what we have, an indoor practice facilities will not bring top athletes if we have a empty stadium. Fans bring lst rate players that want to play before full stadiums of cheering fans. Fans are part of the problem also.
Dear stupid our lack of facilities keeps us from attracting good coaches and players and thus the stands sit empty.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1911
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:18 am

There are 130 FBS football programs with 85 scholarships to one and all
There are waaaay too many shitbirds being shared by way too many programs.
The only conference that really matters is the SEC & within the SEC there's only one program that really matters.
College football as a national entertainment product that galvanizes fans alumni & donors has been in severe decline for decades.
We will still see programs like Cincinnati & Coastal Carolina succeed for as long as the key personnel aren't hired away.
Beyond that, this jig is up👍
Last edited by wave97 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh Brother
Ripple
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:23 am

So where does Willie rank in the pantheon of “ great Tulane coaches” He isn’t Larry Smith, or Bowden, I’d say he is right there with Tommy O’Boyle. Lost 62-0 to LSU twice, never won more than two games but he was in the SEC and he did beat Vandy a few times. Or maybe Willie is Banquet Bob on steroids- older guy, Willie hit the jackpot, he never dreamed he would be making a million a year for 7 years with his background and performance. His agent deserves a big cut and Willie must be laughing at us every day. But when the AD is awol looking for his next gig and Fitts has no interest except to satisfy the board that we are sufficiently “ woke”, it is OVER. And while they are watching it all crumble, don’t forget we haven’t had a winning bb team in over a decade and TH has managed to. Destroy the only program we fans could look forward to following, and cheering on , and winning. Unless a mega donor walks in and says I am tired of this clownshow and will pay to make it better( like Fertitta in Houston) it is over.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 am

Pepper wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:47 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am
maybe the peeson who needs to be fired, is the person who intitally evaluates players..that person is Wes Fritz... I called before the season started about a OL in DFW..hios dad is a football coach who played college ball, the kid, ust had his 17th B'day, is 6'4" and weighs about 295, with almost zero fat. The young man was named OL to watch by a preseason, Texas high school football mag.....Wes got some film, called me and told me he was not a D1 player...I guess Arkansas, Baylor, UH, TCU, La Tech think otherwise, because they have all contacted him
You are definitely onto something there. I begged them to offer this kid out of New Orleans to play LB. He didn't get much of a sniff and ended up at La Tech. Last year, he was named Freshmen-All American.
I will be in DFW next Friday night 10-8-21..to see this kid play, his team is now 4-2 with both loses by one point..he road graded a UT nose tackle commit, several times last Friday in their win.... Golf @ Brookhaven CC in the morning, high school football in the evening, .it don't get any better
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am

Oh Brother wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:23 am
So where does Willie rank in the pantheon of “ great Tulane coaches” He isn’t Larry Smith, or Bowden, I’d say he is right there with Tommy O’Boyle. Lost 62-0 to LSU twice, never won more than two games but he was in the SEC and he did beat Vandy a few times. Or maybe Willie is Banquet Bob on steroids- older guy, Willie hit the jackpot, he never dreamed he would be making a million a year for 7 years with his background and performance. His agent deserves a big cut and Willie must be laughing at us every day. But when the AD is awol looking for his next gig and Fitts has no interest except to satisfy the board that we are sufficiently “ woke”, it is OVER. And while they are watching it all crumble, don’t forget we haven’t had a winning bb team in over a decade and TH has managed to. Destroy the only program we fans could look forward to following, and cheering on , and winning. Unless a mega donor walks in and says I am tired of this clownshow and will pay to make it better( like Fertitta in Houston) it is over.
you are correct, I threw the Tulane golf bag in the attic and took my wife's Texas Tech golf bag.. I now use my Tulane golf shirts to clean the lawnmower after use...besides,I look good in Black n Red, (or at least she tells me I do)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:47 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am
Oh Brother wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:23 am
So where does Willie rank in the pantheon of “ great Tulane coaches” He isn’t Larry Smith, or Bowden, I’d say he is right there with Tommy O’Boyle. Lost 62-0 to LSU twice, never won more than two games but he was in the SEC and he did beat Vandy a few times. Or maybe Willie is Banquet Bob on steroids- older guy, Willie hit the jackpot, he never dreamed he would be making a million a year for 7 years with his background and performance. His agent deserves a big cut and Willie must be laughing at us every day. But when the AD is awol looking for his next gig and Fitts has no interest except to satisfy the board that we are sufficiently “ woke”, it is OVER. And while they are watching it all crumble, don’t forget we haven’t had a winning bb team in over a decade and TH has managed to. Destroy the only program we fans could look forward to following, and cheering on , and winning. Unless a mega donor walks in and says I am tired of this clownshow and will pay to make it better( like Fertitta in Houston) it is over.
you are correct, I threw the Tulane golf bag in the attic and took my wife's Texas Tech golf bag.. I now use my Tulane golf shirts to clean the lawnmower after use...besides,I look good in Black n Red, (or at least she tells me I do)
I’m going to bury my Tulane garb in a really deep hole, like it was radioactive waste—I don’t want it to impact future generations.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8057
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:10 am

What doesn't make sense is, a year ago we were just a few plays from being 8-4. Our defense was at least presentable. I don't think its just losing Johnson and Sample. I have to believe its got something to do with a new DC and a new scheme. One that clearly DOESNT work. Wonder just how long we're stuck with him. Making a DB coach a DC is a lot like making a WR coach a head coach, and we all remember how that worked out.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:15 am

Ok with apologies and without wanting to offend anyone, it would take an idiot to not realize that this is a systematic problem. We can hire coaches until we are blue in the face and all will fail to contend for anything more than the middle of whatever conference we happen to be in at the moment. C'mon guys, sure some coaches are really bad but for God's sake even the decent ones can't recruit and win long term if not short term at Tulane. Small private non P5 school with losing history, no fans, terrible game day experience, below avg facilities and an emphasis on actually trying to educate athletes. I'm here to tell you not one of you would send your kid to Tulane unless he had just about no other offers. We can scream all we want at the ADs and coaches in place but we all know the next ones will not be any better and in the case of Willie, probably worse. Study long term history.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11748
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:29 am

I do not give one krap who I offend..Tulane Football Staff, AD and players, FIRE THEM ALL...since players are now employees, you don't do the job, U get FIRED !!!!..or an easier route,, last meal, blindfold and a .....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:12 pm

It is systemic. The problem is, and always has been, the BOT and its Gibson Hall “leaders”.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply